Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who ya Got?
Derwin James, Chargers
Darius Leonard, Colts
Leighton Vander Esch, Cowboys
Bradley Chubb, Broncos
Other
View Results

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

To me it's Leonard and it's not particularly close, though admittedly I've seen a lot more of his games than the others and I am a shameless homer. I've barely watched any Chargers games, and when I have James hasn't really stood out to me (the only play of his I remember, actually, is when he mistakenly took a pick out of the endzone to the 2), but his numbers are impressive so I wouldn't be too salty if he won. The guy I'd have a real problem with winning is Vander Esch, because he's a more direct comparison to Leonard and his stats are way less impressive. Him winning would just feel like some media-market bullshit.

To me an underrated factor for Leonard is the story. These other guys were all first-rounders, and James as I recall was seen as possibly the safest pick in the draft. Leonard was a second-rounder who, even at that position, was called one of the worst reaches in the draft (including by dumb people like me). But Ballard was confident in him, and from the start of rookie minicamp Leonard grabbed hold of that starting spot and never let go.

Oh, and those insane numbers he's put up? He did it while missing a game to an injury. Vote Leonard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

indigi posted:

have they standardized tackles as a stat? I remember a few years ago reading that each team kept their own tackle stats and would occasionally do poo poo like award half tackles for jumping onto a pile as the ball carrier was already falling to the ground

agreed, and unfortunately I think he's got a real shot at winning

There's probably still a bit of dubiousness in counting tackle assists, but Leonard also leads the league in solo tackles, and in fact is the only player with more than 100.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Tackles itself is a garbage stat. If the TE you're covering converts a 3rd down over the top of you and you bring him to the ground after the catch that's a tackle same as any 1 yard run.

Leonard also has 12 tackles for loss, which puts him smack in the middle of a bunch of pass rushers and DL on the list. Not to mention the interception, 7 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles!