Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The first GI Joe movie scene where the US military gets completely and utterly owned by the sick Cobra hovership. Great sound, great direction, lots of casualties

https://youtu.be/kHq3y20HhRk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

The first GI Joe movie scene where the US military gets completely and utterly owned by the sick Cobra hovership. Great sound, great direction, lots of casualties

The weird rear end delivery of 'oh my god' certainly qualifies.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Snowman_McK posted:

The weird rear end delivery of 'oh my god' certainly qualifies.

Why does everyone ever feel the need to comment on that one single aspect??
And not MATCH AND SHOOT *PEW PEW PEW* THEY SHOT THEM RIGHT OUTTA THA AIR
Anyway yeah, if and when technologically advanced and :moreevil: entities attack this is exactly how I imagine it's gonna go

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

Why does everyone ever feel the need to comment on that one single aspect??
And not MATCH AND SHOOT *PEW PEW PEW* THEY SHOT THEM RIGHT OUTTA THA AIR
Anyway yeah, if and when technologically advanced and :moreevil: entities attack this is exactly how I imagine it's gonna go

Because the combination of the delivery and the way the mic affects his voice makes him sound like a teenage girl robot who cannot believe Cassie is going with that chassis.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Snowman_McK posted:

Because the combination of the delivery and the way the mic affects his voice makes him sound like a teenage girl robot who cannot believe Cassie is going with that chassis.

So the COs of heavily armed Blackhawk helicopters are portrayed as massive pussies and or misgendered non-combat capable wimps in this film?
Would you consider that an accurate account

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

So the COs of heavily armed Blackhawk helicopters are portrayed as massive pussies and or misgendered non-combat capable wimps in this film?
Would you consider that an accurate account

Turns out the weird moment was inside us all along.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Snowman_McK posted:

Turns out the weird moment was inside us all along.

So do you watch all the glorious fanmade Warhammer films on YouTube? I recommend Helsreach
https://youtu.be/SUplioG2DC4

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Sjs00 posted:

So do you watch all the glorious fanmade Warhammer films on YouTube? I recommend Helsreach
https://youtu.be/SUplioG2DC4

I can tell some serious work went into this but holy crap the weird flickering black and white filter they put over the entire thing makes it literally unwatchable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sjs00 posted:

This is one of my favorite cheesy movies. It owns owns owns all the way through.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Treebeh posted:

I can tell some serious work went into this but holy crap the weird flickering black and white filter they put over the entire thing makes it literally unwatchable.

It’s like Begotten for dumbasses

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is one of my favorite cheesy movies. It owns owns owns all the way through.

Snake eyes is the loving best but the Cobra Hovership is a close second. Sad it didn't get any more screentime

Treebeh posted:

Yeah the filter is rough at first but it gets (slightly) better. The voices and moments from the book are absolutely spot on though.
Protip: get drunk and then watch it

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I like this post

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jim Carrey is playing such a high energy role in Dumb & Dumber and yet it is great seeing him get zero response for something, even if it is a 10 second scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praFGD51ih8

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 2, 2019

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Coffee And Pie posted:

Your loving loss dude. He just uploaded the part where Stormherald dies

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

As I was watching it, I was suddenly convinced that a studio had gotten their hands on the 4 page GI Joe comic I wrote as a 6 year old. The first one is really good. It shouldn't work, but it does and is really charming.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

As I was watching it, I was suddenly convinced that a studio had gotten their hands on the 4 page GI Joe comic I wrote as a 6 year old. The first one is really good. It shouldn't work, but it does and is really charming.

I have almost no GI Joe knowledge (there's a Cobra Commander and a Sgt. Slaughter! Snake Eyes is a ninja!) and I thought the movie was incredible at hitting its intended marks and just being constantly ridiculous.

The kids in this movie have a better fight than most adult actors can manage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcYIhB-XAY

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I have almost no GI Joe knowledge (there's a Cobra Commander and a Sgt. Slaughter! Snake Eyes is a ninja!) and I thought the movie was incredible at hitting its intended marks and just being constantly ridiculous.

The kids in this movie have a better fight than most adult actors can manage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcYIhB-XAY

Also, sinking ice. It's so silly, yet it would make perfect sense to a child.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
when doc brown goes back in time over and over and finds himself each time and forms a line constantly bumming each other while screaming great, scott!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m watching Die Hard 3 and one of my favorite little moments is John McClane in the aqueduct with the construction worker who knows a million little odd facts, which is such a weird category of guy that I’ve met a million times.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, sinking ice. It's so silly, yet it would make perfect sense to a child.
I remember an interview where the director got quite annoyed that he'd shown metal stuff embedded in the ice to justify it sinking and everyone ripped the piss out of him anyway.

On Basic Instinct, I interviewed Verhoeven years back, and he essentially said "Yeah, I lied to Sharon and told her nobody would be able to see her pussy. She was so mad! HAHAHAHA!" (He was a great interview, probably the most enthusiastic person I've ever met. About half the recording was taken up with maniacal laughter.)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m watching Die Hard 3 and one of my favorite little moments is John McClane in the aqueduct with the construction worker who knows a million little odd facts, which is such a weird category of guy that I’ve met a million times.

One of my favorite little oddities in the Die Hard franchise is in the first film. When you first see Ellis, he's just finished snorting cocaine off of a desk. Later, when he's trying to entice John to give up over the walkie-talkie, there's a notable bit of attention given to a can of Coca-Cola being poured into a glass.

It wasn't until my umpteenth viewing that I realized that the terrorists likely asked Ellis if he wanted anything, he said "coke," and due to a mistranslation error they thought he meant the soft drink.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I always enjoyed "I wanna dance!" in Dazed and Confused. Its such a tonal shift of what seems like a serious scene and yeah its a joke but the scene cuts so quickly that you never see their reaction.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fart City posted:

One of my favorite little oddities in the Die Hard franchise is in the first film. When you first see Ellis, he's just finished snorting cocaine off of a desk. Later, when he's trying to entice John to give up over the walkie-talkie, there's a notable bit of attention given to a can of Coca-Cola being poured into a glass.

It wasn't until my umpteenth viewing that I realized that the terrorists likely asked Ellis if he wanted anything, he said "coke," and due to a mistranslation error they thought he meant the soft drink.

Die Hard has so many little moments like that I never noticed until I saw it in a theater last year

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK

Coffee And Pie posted:

Die Hard has so many little moments like that I never noticed until I saw it in a theater last year

My favorite moment is when Al Jeong steals a Crunch bar from the candy display. Such a small character moment gave a generic henchman some humanity and charm.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Die Hard owns because it's both a textbook action movie, and also a movie where every decision made by every character makes sense and both tells us about them and is informed by who they are. I rewatched it recently, and there's never a cheat where someone just does something to advance the plot. It's a really impressive film.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's literally one single moment in Die Hard that for years I thought didn't make sense or advance the story, and it's when McClane tries to use the building's phones, finds he's been cut off, and then looks out of the window to see a semi-naked woman in a neighbouring building.

I bought the script years later (before online resources like Drew's were a thing), and found out it's described as something like "he sees a woman casually talking on a phone. It all looks so easy" and realised the intent of the shot. Whether that's my failing for not seeing what they were suggesting or the movie's for not making it entirely clear, I'm still not sure.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
John McClane is repeatedly, but very subtly, getting distracted by women who aren’t his wife. There’s that, the flight attendants the start, and the dirty picture (which I love just as a subtle landmark to help you figure out where he’s gone).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vader's TIE wingman at the end of Star Wars, who yells "look out!" and then just veers into Vader and dies, makes me laugh more than it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8&t=781s

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Vader's TIE wingman at the end of Star Wars, who yells "look out!" and then just veers into Vader and dies, makes me laugh more than it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8&t=781s

i've never noticed that before and that is hilarious.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's a small moment but in ANY GIVEN SUNDAY Al Pacino gives the rare triple-take and it never fails to make me laugh.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

safe harbor posted:

My favorite moment is when Al Jeong steals a Crunch bar from the candy display. Such a small character moment gave a generic henchman some humanity and charm.

I remember as a kid wishing he would swap sides and start helping John because of that Crunch bar scene :D

Also loved the swat guy hurting himself on the rose bush. Stopping and going "argh"

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Came here to post this. The little “Welp. See ya later!” makes it.

Another fave is in the movie C.H.U.D. where Daniel Stern is about to call the cops on the bad guys so their hired goon follows him out to pay phone and...

https://youtu.be/TqrEiPvJM0E

... eats his quarter and just stares him down. Great weird part in a movie basically made of them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrVenkman posted:

It's a small moment but in ANY GIVEN SUNDAY Al Pacino gives the rare triple-take and it never fails to make me laugh.

My favorite double take:

https://twitter.com/KrytenRD/status/624301367864238080

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
"You're dead, jolly man."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnxgpVgB5nA&t=146s

We obsessed over this line when we were kids

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m watching The Matrix thanks to an interesting discussion in the genchat, I never noticed the scene when they get to The Oracle’s apartment, Morpheus nods to a blind man sitting on a bench and the blind man nods back.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My low-key favorite oddity in The Matrix trilogy is in Reloaded, where the "upgraded" agents are introduced, because they are literally physical upgrades over their predecessors. The Agents in the first film are all fairly nondescript, meek office drone-looking nobodies. The upgraded Agents are all 6'5 and built like brick shithouses that are clogged with creatine.

It's an awesome example of the comic book logic that runs underneath The Matrix as a whole.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
An elder Buddhist monk paints the deck of a floating shrine with a sutra. His apprentice is to carve the characters to soothe their troubled soul.

The monk uses a cat's tail to perform the painting. The prayer is long, yet the cat is unconcerned, calmly accepting the role it plays in the process.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLO_CrZRmM

This guy's line delivery of the punchline of this scene is etched into my memory forever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I forgot how little Bruce Willis gives a poo poo in this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bruce Willis gives a great performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljZbjpvjmE