Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrVenkman posted:

If I remember right wasn't this when there was the MTV guy or something, and he had all these ideas about how they can get XXXTREME with it.
You can really see all those influences bubbling under. Dumb dubstep save-sequence especially.

Then PS4 Spider-Man actually goes and includes an Instagram feed in the game menu, and Homecoming Spider-Man kind of pulls off some of that GenZ stuff without it coming off like it was filtered through a 45 year old Marketing Guy's brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrVenkman posted:

If I remember right wasn't this when there was the MTV guy or something, and he had all these ideas about how they can get XXXTREME with it. And the other one was Kevin Feige running down all the poo poo they should fix.

I googled him and his LinkedIn page has links to a bunch of articles he's written about how corporations can connect to millennials. :v:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nickshore1

Edit: goddamn, he hasn't posted anything on Twitter for a few years but for a while there he apparently thought he was a fashion commentator

https://twitter.com/nick_shore/status/799397834009165824

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Have a weird moment where the characters acknowledge how weird it is. Also known as the only scene anyone remembers from The Counselor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwHc-APXKIQ

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

Also known as the only scene anyone remembers from The Counselor.

Uh...there's a couple pretty memorable scenes in addition to that one.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Counselor is the most nihilistic piece of poo poo I've ever seen.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crimpolioni posted:

Uh...there's a couple pretty memorable scenes in addition to that one.

Seriously, it's maybe not even in the top 5 memorable scenes in a movie that features at least 7 decapitations

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Slutitution posted:

Hell yeah, it rules.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Slutitution posted:

¡Hola!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s definitely the only scene people who haven’t seen the movie know about.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I never "got" this; because, while it might double as the sound of a slide whistle - that's what a winch sounds like when it pulls like that so it never sounded out of place to me.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Darko posted:

I never "got" this; because, while it might double as the sound of a slide whistle - that's what a winch sounds like when it pulls like that so it never sounded out of place to me.

It's not even the only weird sound moment in Jurassic Park. When Dodgson is demonstrating the shave cream can Nedry makes this weird squealing laugh sound perfectly timed to the can's compartment snapping out. As a kid I thought the can made the sound but it's clearly Nedry.

I'd make a crack about the sound editor letting poo poo past but that movie won Oscars for its sound design work so I don't know.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Let's be honest: jurassic park's sound won because of the trex roar, the rest was just gravy

Bohemian Raphsody was awarded best editing, lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Let's be honest: jurassic park's sound won because of the trex roar, the rest was just gravy

It earned it, if you were going to the cinemas in '93 then that sound is burned into your goddamned brain

The sound design in that whole scene is great and really cranks up the tension, the gentle-but-relentless sound of rain on the roof of the cars really makes everything seem so much more claustrophobic and the BOOM of the Trex's footsteps functions exactly the same as the DAH-DUN in the Jaws soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1koa2xAxCAw

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I’ve only seen the movie once (don’t ask) and I can recall exactly how the roar and footsteps sound in the rain

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The "BWAOOOW!" in Terminator 2 always makes me giggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4LAXj6t_g8&t=82s

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've always been a big fan of that sound effect in The Matrix when the liquid metal has completely enveloped Neo and the camera zooms into his mouth as he gets unplugged, and his scream sounds like it's...losing fidelity, for lack of a better term, as he exits the digital world.

Also every scene in Event Horizon with Demon Sam Neill

Also the giant skeleton in a spaceship in Alien, which was so cool and mysterious until the crappy new movies came out because Everything Must Be Explained

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've always been a big fan of that sound effect in The Matrix when the liquid metal has completely enveloped Neo and the camera zooms into his mouth as he gets unplugged, and his scream sounds like it's...losing fidelity, for lack of a better term, as he exits the digital world.

Also every scene in Event Horizon with Demon Sam Neill

Also the giant skeleton in a spaceship in Alien, which was so cool and mysterious until the crappy new movies came out because Everything Must Be Explained

My favorite part about the giant skeleton is that the crew basically ignores it. Like it really informs the universe that while these folks are interested in exploring/cataloguing, they arent particularly shocked at the idea of ancient extraterrestrial interstellar intelligences.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The new movies are good

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The Matrix, in general, has very good scene transitions, and sound design is a big part of that.

Here's a good video about screen transitions in The Matrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3xe1XY7akg

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

My favorite part about the giant skeleton is that the crew basically ignores it. Like it really informs the universe that while these folks are interested in exploring/cataloguing, they arent particularly shocked at the idea of ancient extraterrestrial interstellar intelligences.

One of the threads shared by Alien/Aliens is that they've encountered lots of complex extraterrestrial life and most of it is about as exciting to people as finding a new kind of plankton or variety of chicken, and it's sort of unspoken that anything inconvenient to space colonialism was killed off.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I will never not laugh at this:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

One of the threads shared by Alien/Aliens is that they've encountered lots of complex extraterrestrial life and most of it is about as exciting to people as finding a new kind of plankton or variety of chicken, and it's sort of unspoken that anything inconvenient to space colonialism was killed off.

Quite the contrast

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Blade really enjoys his work.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bogus Adventure posted:

mfw some motherfucker tries to ice skate uphill

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm fond of this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjUpSuD-_2A

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:agreed:

I fukkin love Blade!!!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Quite the contrast

If anything I'm mostly mad that they retconned the space jockey as a bio-engineered flight suit instead of an alien endo/exoskeleton hybrid being, the latter being what it clearly was in Alien.

So little time is spent in Alien dwelling on the meaning or purpose of what they found on the planet that when you combine it with the fact that the marines are used to "bug hunts," clearly the humans of that universe find alien life maybe about as exciting as we find sea life; interesting, but we're not worried about it as an existential threat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

clearly the humans of that universe find alien life maybe about as exciting as we find sea life; interesting, but we're not worried about it as an existential threat.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blade is so loving good I’m not even bothered by the Myst rear end CGI ending

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

weekly font posted:

Blade is the rare movie where it's aged wonkiness only adds to its charm. It shares rare company with movies like Evil Dead in that regard.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you like Blade (especially the humour) you should be watching the What we Do In The Shadows TV show.

Edit: If you like vampire movies in general then you should be watching it, the latest episode had a ton of Interview With The Vampire riffs.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've always been a big fan of that sound effect in The Matrix when the liquid metal has completely enveloped Neo and the camera zooms into his mouth as he gets unplugged, and his scream sounds like it's...losing fidelity, for lack of a better term, as he exits the digital world

If it's the sound I think you're talking about, his scream starts to sound like a dial up modem. It's loving awesome.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Blade is the movie that never stops giving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjUpSuD-_2A

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

weekly font posted:

Yeah it’s a bad 90’s game FMV out of nowhere but gently caress if I care and don’t still love Blade.

To their credit, the entire Frost fight was supposed to be a CG blood tornado monster. They realized it didn’t work and kept Stephen Dorff as a person as long as possible because they knew what they were doing.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like the part where he stands up really fast.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Dennis Hopper being absolutely delighted by a chimpanzee in Super Mario Bros. will never not make me laugh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MdrlALQVEKM

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I always liked how weird this shot was (possibly because how oddly perfect it loops):

Unrelated to the film, I also think this Clickhole article relating to Blade is hilarious:
https://www.clickhole.com/he-s-palestinian-she-s-israeli-both-of-them-incorrect-1825126379

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

I always liked how weird this shot was (possibly because how oddly perfect it loops):

:same:

Blade is a masterpiece, and we are lucky to have lived in a time when we could see and appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think the weirdest part of Blade is definitely Pearl, the tremendously fat male vampire who is parked in the library. You have a movie with a couple businessmen-like vampires, and then you throw in that thing... because the voice has been pitched so it barely sounds like an obese man. And then you have a main character gleefully torture and burn it to death.

Now apparently there originally was a subplot where it fed exclusively on children that were thrown towards it. Which certainly explains why they killed Pearl like that, but doesn’t make it any weirder, holy poo poo!