Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Cythereal posted:

I'm still baffled by Cryptic making the Dominion a playable faction, even if Jem'hadar (and only Jem'hadar, yes the playable Dominion is all-male) PCs are part of Odo's fleet and thus theoretically less fascist than the rest of the Dominion

New source of cool ships. Canon ships, even. They're the prime method of monetisation so every source shall be exploited to the utmost.

They seem to have done a decentish job of it. I'd be curious to see the Jem'hadar player start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Loxbourne posted:

New source of cool ships. Canon ships, even. They're the prime method of monetisation so every source shall be exploited to the utmost.

They seem to have done a decentish job of it. I'd be curious to see the Jem'hadar player start.

I did it recently, it's ok but nothing too special.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
This episode is when I was on board with the story, and one of the main reasons is the second Dominion fleet.
As is repeated in this episode, Odo told everyone that his was the last combat-capable fleet of the entire Dominion left and it's something that bothered me because, as it was established in DS9), they are one of the most powerful nations in the galaxy, so I was already annoyed with the writers once again having no sense of scale, like it often happens in sci-fi.
So imagine my surprise when what I thought was a plot hole turned out to be an actual plot point. Followed by the other twist that it was Odo that lead the Hur'q to Bajor to get our help.
Needless to say I was impressed and now had a proper mystery to look forward to uncover.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

radintorov posted:

This episode is when I was on board with the story, and one of the main reasons is the second Dominion fleet.
As is repeated in this episode, Odo told everyone that his was the last combat-capable fleet of the entire Dominion left and it's something that bothered me because, as it was established in DS9), they are one of the most powerful nations in the galaxy, so I was already annoyed with the writers once again having no sense of scale, like it often happens in sci-fi.
So imagine my surprise when what I thought was a plot hole turned out to be an actual plot point. Followed by the other twist that it was Odo that lead the Hur'q to Bajor to get our help.
Needless to say I was impressed and now had a proper mystery to look forward to uncover.

Odo was definitely always fascism adjacent (well, cop, no surprise there really) but it's really something to see him go THIS dark. At least Kira had the courtesy to slap him for it, though I like Garak takes it in stride (really, what's one more terrible betrayal between friends?).

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

Odo was definitely always fascism adjacent (well, cop, no surprise there really) but it's really something to see him go THIS dark. At least Kira had the courtesy to slap him for it, though I like Garak takes it in stride (really, what's one more terrible betrayal between friends?).
It's also worth remembering that Garak is the guy who, after his first meeting with the Founder Leader, felt that they were enough of an existential threat that he tried to hotwire the Defiant's weapons and glass their new homeworld while they were flying under a flag of truce.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Marshal Radisic posted:

It's also worth remembering that Garak is the best character in all of Star Trek

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This discussion of Garak lead me to watch "In the Pale Moonlight" again, so thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Blood Of The Covenant

Ambassador Odo. I assume this is another request for assistance.
Yes. I've been researching Dominion fleet deployments, looking for ships protecting sites of no apparent value, or 'defensive fleets' that I wasn't told about.
You believe you have found something.
The Masan system. Two dreadnoughts were recently assigned to protect a research station there.
This is concerning why?
Because that research station is listed as having been abandoned hundreds of years ago. General, I would like to make use of your ship for this investigation rather than my own, given how obfuscated this situation is.
As you wish. I will inform Councilor Garak and Captain Kira, and ask them to meet us there.
Are you certain involving them is wise?
Wise for my benefit, changeling. Not yours.

As advertised, two Dominion dreadnoughts on sensors.
I'm detecting a lot of power signatures on that station. Significantly more than I would expect for a research station.
Multiple docking bays, too. What kind of research went on here?
Biological research, from what I've found. The Dominion's biosciences are far more advanced than any Alliance power's.
Given your love of cloning and genetic modification of other species.
So, is it normal for dreadnoughts to be assigned to protect a station like this?
No. Hail them, I'll handle this.

There's no need for posturing, Founder. We're here on official business, under my authority.
Odo. It seems to be a day for defiance and bad habits. You do not have the authority to grant access to this system, or to be in this system at all. I suggest you leave, now.
No.
Not unexpected from you, General T'Kara of Chuch'SuS, but diplomacy is wasted on Klingons.
I've faced Iconian fleets numbering in the millions, Founder. You do not impress me.
How droll. Even you must know when you're outmatched.
Another error of judgment. Councilor Garak, any time.

Thank you for inviting me along! An ancient Dominion research facility, protected by the leader of the Founders? A cloaked fleet pales by comparison, but it's the best I could do.
A very timely arrival, Councilor.
The Founder was willing to fire on one of her own to protect this station's secrets. I do believe we've found a mystery worth investigating.
Since when does she stand guard duty, anyway?
She doesn't. I want to know what she's hiding.
So do I. We'd better make it fast before she comes back with reinforcements.
Then it's unanimous. Away team to transporter room. Nelen, given this station's age, an archaeologist may be in order. You're up.
Yes, sir!

My fleet will keep watch over the station while you investigate. General, I think it's best if Odo and the Captain not be disturbed by my presence. Call it a trust-building exercise.
Bear in mind that I don't trust you.
A very wise decision! For the moment, you can trust that my curiosity is as roused as yours.

This station's running on reserve power only. Life support and not much else.
That isn't normal. If this station's been abandoned for centuries, the deuterium supply would have run out long ago.
You're Odo's bodyguard? Your name?
Dukan'Rex, the first of Odo's Vanguard.

This station is much older than mere centuries, judging by the state of the hull. I'd estimate around two thousand years old.
And kept supplied and maintained. We need to reactivate main power and see what we can find.

T'Kara, I heard you were an engineer before the captain's chair. What do you make of the power system?
As my science officer on the Jat'layn noted, far more than I'd expect for a research station. I don't have widespread system access, but this looks like multiple warp cores. Many of them large.
Define 'large.'
I've only seen stations with this kind of power infrastructure a few times before, Captain, on large military installations designed with substantial system redundancy in the event of battle damage.
Again, very unusual. Dominion engineering principles are one powerful central core, as heavily protected as possible. Multiple power cores create multiple potential points of failure.
Hmmm. Are you confident you can crack the encryption on the data systems, General?
Ambassador, the Dominion is proficient at many forms of technology. Network and data security isn't one of them. I could have cracked that computer after a year at the Academy.

The Dominion wouldn't have tried to hide and protect this station just for the sake of old computers. Pull what you can from the databanks.
I'm working on it. The databanks are badly degraded, whatever maintenance was done here clearly missed the data storage, but I've got some partial logs in the archive.

4121.63 DR would put this recording at around nineteen hundred years old, shortly after the founding of the Dominion.
Our premier project is underway. The tree-dwellers, hunted as we once were. Genetic engineering of these solids has produced considerable results - their intelligence has increased by a factor of three so far! We predict this species will be the first of many vassals and subjects.
She's talking about the Vorta. This station was where the modern Vorta were created?
Looks like it, and there's a lot of updates about that project. I'm copying to the Jat'layn's databanks. Running datamine for something more immediately relevant.

Sentient insectoids? How is this relevant?
Keep listening.

Initial studies suggest that these solids are based on germanium. I've attached bioscan data for your review. I've dispatched a survey team to gather some of these 'Burrowers' for study. They may be just what the Military Initiative needs.
Burrowing, germanium-based insectoids... Prophets, she's talking about the Hur'q! The Dominion encountered them almost two thousand years ago!
For your sake, Odo, I'm hoping that these logs aren't going to tell us what I think they're going to tell us.
So am I.

Research Report - 7021.27 Dominion Reckoning. More data has arrived on Cadre Species 484, designation: Burrowers. Their world's unusual orbital path has taken it out of the habitable zone. As a result, the Burrowers have retreated underground and entered a state of hibernation. While dormant, a smaller servitor species tends to the Burrowers. They also maintain the species' shared habitat and technology. I've instructed the field team to take advantage of the dormancy period, and they are now conducting aggressive studies of these intriguing solids.
The Drantzuli. Two symbiotic species. And if the Hur'q are physiologically still hardwired to their cycles of dormancy and activity...
...The Tzenkethi were trying to keep the Drantzuli from waking up the Hur'q after their last dormancy cycle.
And why they retreated from Qo'noS and the other planets they invaded. They were instinctively retreating to shelter for a dormancy period.

Before the Dominion met them, the Hur'q were a peaceful race. But all the Dominion saw was a species to be conquered, and modified to suit their needs.
I'll follow up on that in the datamine. I've also pulled up data on another interesting subject.
Research Report - 7903.01 Dominion Reckoning. Cadre Species 468, designation: Jem'hadar, is a massive success. They will be the strong arm of our Dominion, guided by our cunning, brilliant Vorta. The toil of these vassals will allow us to spend more time in the Link with those we cherish.
The birth of the Jem'hadar, seen through a Founder's eyes. Interesting. No mention of the Hur'q, however. Their number is lower than ours, and the Military Initiative... they were our predecessors. Perhaps something went wrong? Something that lead the Founders to reject them for another species... us.
I'm finding only fragments of what happened with the Hur'q in between. It sounds like the Founders uplifted the Hur'q technologically, but were struggling with their biology. The next intact record I can find is later.

Well this is all going from bad to worse.
Hypothesis: Founder inability to control or alter Hur'q instincts lead to use of chemical addiction to control the Jem'hadar. Reference remark on use of element in Hur'q food supply to manipulate them.

Though we do not understand their newfound savagery, we have found a use for it. When the Burrowers set their sights on a world, we offer the inhabitants a choice. Those that submit to our rule are defended by the Jem'hadar. Those that do not serve as a lesson to others.
Join us or the Hur'q kill you. Classy. Something's changed, though. They can't keep the Hur'q in line with the Jem'hadar anymore, and we're all paying the price.
What the gently caress.
Oh boy.

Research Report - 8532.38 Dominion Reckoning. Our scouts have returned from the wormhole expedition. The solids on the other side are primitive and unremarkable, save one. They are called 'Klingons' and show a singular talent for violence with the physiology to support it, to the point of rivaling our own Jem'hadar. Left unchecked, these savage creatures could become dangerous enemies.
You don't loving say.
Even aside from the imminent furious Klingon, knowing the Founders were active on our side of the wormhole that far back is not a good thing.

While the Klingons are too willful to subjugate, their genetic material could produce viable cohorts for our Jem'hadar... or their replacements. We have begun a new Cadre species based on Klingon genetic material, using the White to bind them to us as we did the Jem'hadar. Klingon mythology tells us amply what they fear, and we will test our new Cadre species against the Klingons themselves. Designation: Fek'lhri.
QI'yaH! Modern Klingons have wondered if the Fek'lhri were aliens like the Hur'q, I even found a resonance signature on the remains of Fek'lhr similar to Hur'q sites... They were a Dominion creation?!
General -
No.

Research Report - 8671.71 Dominion Reckoning. Somehow, the Fek'lhri have broken the hold on the White and turned on us. Most of the research team was killed. Intelligence suggests that the Fek'lhri have allied with a warlord named Molor on Qo'noS. We can only hope this will lead to a state of mutually assured destruction. The Fek'lhri are insane, and unsalvageable. They appear to have taken our fabricated memories and behavior, based on Klingon mythology, for reality, and act like the demons we meant them to be. We are keeping a record of the planet Qo'noS. When we return to this part of the galaxy, the Klingons must be exterminated in their entirety.
Changeling. Your species is dead to me.
But the Empire -
I'm not finished with your Dominion's crimes, Odo.

Here we go again.
Our agents in other quadrants report that the Burrower assault there was a sweeping one, going as far as Qo'noS! Hopefully they'll devour every atom of that wretched planet and its damnable inhabitants.
The Night of Falling Stars was your doing, Founder.
This was an age before I was even born!
Yet here you are defending your Dominion. Nothing that happened to your species justifies this.
Solids would have exterminated us!
And that justifies you exterminating other species? No, Founder. Evil was done to you, but that does not justify evil you've done to others.

The Burrowers will eventually return to dormancy, of course. We never were able to engineer that instinct out of them.
More than a thousand years ago... the Founders knew the Hur'q problem was getting worse, even then. Instead of preparing, or seeking allies, they simply expanded their Dominion. When the Hur'q re-emerged, they tried to deal with it on their own, and failed. Their arrogance may lead to the end of the Dominion. General... if there is anything I can do...
I'm not one of the billions your kind have slaughtered, Odo. Fortunately for you, the Hur'q remain a problem for us all. Until such time as this threat ends, you may yet be useful.

Everyone, something's powering up on the lower decks. Reading massive energy spikes, power surging throughout the station.
We will speak later, Founder. Captain, show me.

Are those...
Fek'lhri, in cryonic stasis.
What you told Odo... I heard about the Fek'lhri attack on the Empire. You fought in those battles?
Yes. The first time I saw Qo'noS burning was during the Fek'lhri invasion of the homeworld. Then I destroyed their primary base in subspace.
That... isn't the Odo I knew. He's become reckless. Arrogant. Even dangerous.
I'm reining in my temper for the sake of the mission, Captain, but I meant every word I said in the data core. Molor wouldn't have been the would-be global conqueror that he was without the Fek'lhri. The Hur'q almost exterminated us eleven hundred years ago. The Fek'lhri weakened our forces right before the Undine assault on our world.
You've beaten them every time.
Failure to successfully commit genocide does not merit forgiveness from the survivors, Captain.

Interesting. Reading traces of ketracel-white and other chemicals in these containers.
Priority alert! Active Fek'lhri!

These aren't the same Fek'lhri we've fought before.
Older models, I suppose.
I'd wager a cask of Romulan ale that this was an intentional trap. Anyone starts digging up the Founders' secrets, they get a horde of Fek'lhri unleashed on them.

(Actually just the opposite of T'Kara's comment here, these are new models from an recent patch involving some STD-inspired garbage I won't be covering because I don't like apologizing for genocidal, race-supremacist fascists)

Nope.
Time to go. Jat'layn, status?

We have both Dominion and Hur'q ships inbound, Captain, and Fek'lhri ships are launching from hidden bays on the station. Too much interference to beam you out from your current location, get back to the upper levels.

(a weird clicking noise starts playing)

Alert. Hur'q is displaying some form of sonic resonance.
Is it a threat?

Are you insane, Weyoun?! That Hur'q was peaceful! It was trying to communicate!
That's your opinion. Mine is that a Founder was in imminent danger of being attacked by a hostile species. My duty is clear, as is my conscience. There is also a rather large space battle commencing outside between the Fek'lhri and the Hur'q. You can try to 'communicate' with them at their liesure.
Fine. Jat'layn, beam us out.
What about the Hur'q?
They and the Fek'lhri deserve each other. I'll be heading back to the wormhole immediately.
Are you certain that is wise, General?
You no longer have the right to ask me that kind of question, changeling. Beam up with us, or stay here and die. I don't care anymore.
...As you wish. We will speak later, General. Captain.
Yes, we will. Jat'layn, get us out of here.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 5, 2021

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
So basically the changelings hosed over the galaxy with their incompetence and imperialist bullshit while pretending to be benevolent and above base urges, unlike the solids.

That tracks.

Also, I love pissed off T'kara

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

argosaxelcaos posted:

Also, I love pissed off T'kara

Pissed off T'Kara went through several iterations as I tried to hit a voice that felt right, since it's been a long time since she's genuinely lost her temper like that.

As for what I cut - there's an extended battle with the Fek'lhri in the stasis room, and then a big three-way fight between you and your buddies, the Fek'lhri, and the Hur'q in space, which ends with the Fek'lhri warping out.

The next mission... Oh boy. It's Ferengi episode time.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
I still stand by the Weekend At Bernie's Ferengi episode. That one was good.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

I still stand by the Weekend At Bernie's Ferengi episode. That one was good.

Weekend at Moogie's

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The next mission... Oh boy. It's Ferengi episode time.
There are two kind of Ferengi episodes: ones that are funny in how bad and/or offensive they are and ones that are funny because they are genuinely entertaining.
Which one is this episode going to be? Stay tuned and find out. :cheeky:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dead Man's Hand

Why me? Get an eliminator to do it! Get fifty! You can afford it!
You have connections with the Klingons. That, and you're Rom's second most trusted Ferengi.
What? Who's first? Nog? Pel?!
No. Moogie.
Fine. Send her, then!

That's right, you did. Well don't worry, he won't!
That's not what I'm worried about.
We need this, brother! We can't hold off the Hur'q forever! Alliance forces are spread too thin. We need the Klingons, brother.
What about that general who's been running around with Garak?
She's the wrong kind of general, and Nog is talking to her.

Insanity. You don't even know where the Iconian fleet is!
I don't... but Starfleet does.
Starfleet isn't in the habit of sharing classified intelligence.
I wasn't planning to go through official channels. All I need is access to the station's security systems.
All right. The constable is a creature of habit. She comes in on her break without fail. She doesn't stay for long.
Let me worry about that.

It's your lucky day, Officer! You're the ten millionth customer at Quark's! Congratulations! You've just won a free drink and a free spin at the dabo wheel! Quark, why don't you pour the lucky winner a drink?
Thanks, I'll take an iced raktajino - I'm on duty. I suppose I have time for a spin at the wheel.

(obligatory oh lawd he coming joke with the caitian dude)

Heh. Thank you, Chief O'Brien, for showing me this panel.

(As someone who genuinely has trouble with these kinds of puzzles - my spatial awareness and ability to visualize these kinds of things is, uh, not great - I appreciate that it's brushed off as a joke here)

One brute force of the password, and I'm in!
Make it fast, the constable's on her way back.
Closing the door and we're done.

Nicely done. Being Nagus hasn't made you go soft between the lobes. The panel behind me is now tapped into Starfleet files. See what you can find.

Nothing new with the Borg. The Klingon cure for the nanovirus has slowed them down a lot, and the Cooperative is freeing more drones every day.
Thank the Prophets.

The Breen border has been relatively quiet. There's been no sign of diplomatic contact between the Breen and the Dominion.
Guess the honeymoon's finally over for them.
Interesting. The Na'khul fended off a Hur'q assault on their system. Even after all that's happened, they're not giving up.
Here I thought Tellarites were stubborn.
All quiet with the Mirror Universe for the moment. The Tzenkethi, though... there's talk of a coup against the Autarch after his failed crusade. Only the Hur'q threat has kept the Tzenkethi from a possible civil war.
Not surprising, I guess.
The Tholians have also contained a Hur'q invasion of their space. Tholian webs are highly effective against Hur'q swarm tactics.
Makes me wish we'd gotten our hands on some of those webs ourselves.
Um, what's a 'Fek'lhri'?
You remember that mysterious race that attacked Qo'noS last year? Before the Undine? That was the Fek'lhri.
Oh. Well, there's a fleet of them loose in the Gamma Quadrant.
So about the Iconians.

T'Ket and her forces have been moving through deep space since the end of the war, keeping to themselves annihilating everyone they come into contact with. They're in the Pheben Sector, near the Kolos Nebula.
Alright, a deal's a deal. Let's get moving.

Brunt, your technical skills should help us locate the package.
Always happy to help the Grand Nagus. Retreat.
Still a master of Rule 33, eh?
"It never hurts to suck up to the boss."
Of course. I presume you will need my ship again, yes?
Not this time. We need a ship that can fight, just in case.
And we have one, thanks to our other partner here...

I have what you requested.
Was it any trouble?
Not after I explained the situation to them.
Then let's get started.

T'Ket's fleet is on sensors, along with the Fek'lhri fleet.
Are you sure you can get us to the flagship undetected?
You worry about your scheme, Nagus. Leave the military details to me.
I don't like this general, Nog. She doesn't brag enough to be a Klingon.
She's also the only woman I could think of with a ship to do this and the know-how she's uploaded to our phasers.

Here we go. The Jat'layn can beam you all through the flagship's shields. I'll keep the engines hot.
Speaking of which, where does this ship come from? Never seen a Klingon battlecruiser like it.
That question isn't part of the deal, liquidator.

I have a complete schematic for the ship from the Jat'layn. I should be able to disable their security systems.
I'm already regretting this.

Heralds! Time to find out if the frequency tuning T'Kara got from L'Miren works...

That Klingon came through for us. I don't suppose this frequency tuning works on other shields?
Only on the Heralds of T'Ket's personal guard, unfortunately.
Here's hoping Lek remembers that...
This console has what we need, uncle.
Then it's time. Quark to Jat'layn. Send it over.

Status out there, T'Kara?
The Fek'lhri attack is disorganized, and their technology is inferior to the Iconians. You don't have a lot of time over there.

While you're aboard the Jat'layn, I will upload certain modifications to all of your weapons that will allow them to pierce the Heralds' shields and other defensive systems on the target vessel.
I don't like other people touching my guns.
And I don't like relying on Ferengi for an operation like this.
This had better be worth it.
Quite.

Oh wow! Note to self: ask if that Klingon's single. Ooh, I wonder what that console does!

Not the explosion I was hoping for, but it will do!
This is Brunt. I've found the package. T'Ket is keeping it in some kind of trophy room. Hmph. I thought the Iconians were above such things. I've analyzed their patrol patterns. Lek, you'll need to clear a path for Quark and Nog.
Leave that to me!

Doesn't anything blow up around here?!
Jat'layn to away team. Be advised: we're detecting fluctuations in the ship's power grid.
Excellent! I'm having fun!
It's an Iconian flagship, Ferengi. T'Ket's life force is tied into the ship's power systems. She is going to notice if you keep doing whatever you're doing.
Rule of Acquisition #62: The riskier the road, the greater the profit.

Well, T'Ket is definitely going to notice that.
I still can't believe we're relying on Ferengi for this. Hey, arbiter lady. How insane are we, exactly?
Are you sure you want me to answer that question, Commander?

You know, you were supposed to shoot me if I got pulled into another one of these.
I thought you meant rescue operations. I can shoot you later if you'd like.
No, it just wouldn't be the same.

Leck cleaned the guards out. Looks clear.
I wonder what T'Ket considers worthy of keeping.

Interesting. I read about these at the Academy. Something called 'NASA' sent them out on primitive space probes to initiate First Contact with alien life centuries ago.
Eh. Valuable to a historian maybe. Never met a museum with a budget.

Uncle, that looks like Captain Sisko's baseball! Jake was supposed to have taken it with him when he went to Earth!
Maybe we should avoid mentioning this one later.

One of your Starfleet party poppers. You don't suppose some panicking Starfleeter pulled one of those on T'Ket instead of a real weapon by accident?
I suppose even T'Ket must have found that funny.

Is that... an Iconian arm?! Why would she keep an Iconian body part?!
Kahless cut T'Ket's arm off during the war. I suppose she kept it as a trophy, or as a reminder of past failures. T'Kara said she was pretty intense, but this is ridiculous!

That's... that's a micro-singularity! The heart of a Romulan warbird! Must have been a memorable opponent for T'Ket to keep it on display like that.
She has a black hole. Huh.

We have located the Package. Now to retrieve it.

Nice work, uncle! Now we just need to...

Well done, Quark. You actually managed to pull it off. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised - you have a talent for larceny after all. Time, however, is a factor. Hand it over, now... or I'll take it from your lifeless fingers.
Are you out of your mind?! Have you forgotten who my brother is? No payout is worth what will happen if you do this. Rom will have every pirate, bounty hunter, and eliminator in the galaxy after you!
How did Leck put it? Ah yes, rule 62. Wise words. The payout from this job will earn more than enough latinum to remove your worthless brother and take my rightful place as Grand Nagus.
Have it your way, Brunt. I'm not the one who's going to be facing a crew of Klingons when you come back without us. If you're lucky, they'll settle for throwing you in the brig rather than out an airlock.
Who do you think is paying me in the first place, Quark? J'mpok's hold on the Empire is weak, and Nog's general can be surprisingly practical for a Klingon.

(He beams out)

A force field won't stop me, Ferengi.
That isn't a force field. It's a chroniton field. You know, chronitons. Time particles that destroy Iconian minds because of how you're wired.
So you can take your chances with the field, or we can talk about this like sensible, intelligent people. Your call.
...Very well. You've breached my vessel, killed many of my Heralds, violated my sanctum, and stolen something precious to me. Each is punishable by death. So tell me, why shouldn't I purge you like the vermin you are?
That's where you're wrong. I don't have anything of yours on me. Run a scan if you like. I'm not stupid enough to steal from an Iconian.
Yes, you are, and your field won't last long. Tracking and killing your band will be a pleasure.
I'm sure it would be, but you don't have the time.

Remember this? A little something we picked up on Karemma.
The Hur'q beacon... Clever.
Keep it on your ship and beam it to my location when I give you the signal.

What is that?! Explain yourself, Ferengi!
They're called Hur'q, maybe you've heard of them? Real nasty dispositions and they eat everything they find. And now they know the location of your fleet. I'm pretty sure they're on their way. Let us go, and I'll turn off the device that's calling every Hur'q in the quadrant. Keep us here, and you'll be the main course in a Hur'q buffet.
...Get out.
Pleasure doing business with you. T'Kara, is the package secure?
The package is pristine and secure. Brunt is secure but less than pristine. Your brother requested I bring him back alive.
Time to leave, then.

Brunt believed you when you said you had designs on the Chancellorship?
Brunt believed I was a puppet of House Martok. Rule of Acquisition 97 is relevant.
"It's easy to fool a man if he believes he's smarter than you." You studied the Rules of Acquisition?
Required reading at the Academy in Introduction to Galactic Civics. Setting a course for the wormhole.

Thanks again for the help, General. We're even from the Iconian War now.
Your modifications to my guns worked perfectly. Say, are you seeing anyone?
You are so not my type.

Hmmm. There's something I'm curious about. The Hur'q stole the Sword of Kahless when they invaded Qo'noS. I'm curious as to why.
Hmmm. I've never thought about that before. I suppose I always just took Kahless at his word that it was the true Sword.

See if you can date the Sword. If it is made from a Hur'q carapace... Kahless' time long predates the Night of Falling Stars.
Indeed it is. Kahless lived around sixteen hundred years ago. Based on carbon decay, the Sword's material is more than four thousand years old. It's also saturated with unusual radiation. I believe if we cross-reference with Alliance and Dominion star charts, I may be able to determine where the Sword comes from.
Do it. If the Sword's origin is four thousand years old, then it predates all known records of the Hur'q, including the Dominion files we obtained.

There's only one system that matches this data: Havas-Kul, at the edge of Dominion space. I suspect that the next piece of the Hur'q puzzle is there, perhaps even their homeworld.

(He beams out)

...This is what I get for trusting Ferengi in what should have been a military operation.
He's a fool if he thinks he can steal from me! No one steals from the Grand Nagus!
I think I am not going to inform the Chancellor about this.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
This mission is honestly one of the best ones in the game, and that's mostly because it's The Magnificent Ferengi, Part 2.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

Ok, that was loving cool, a even more so because it was done by a Ferengi

And then they even trick T'ket AND T'kara! These ferengi brought their A-game

argosaxelcaos fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 13, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also the iconian treasure hoard includes a lock box

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

argosaxelcaos posted:

Ok, that was loving cool, a even more so because it was done by a Ferengi

And then they even trick T'ket AND T'kara! These ferengi brought their A-game

If you do this mission with a Gamma Recruit, the Jem'Hadar are so impressed they start questioning their entire worldview.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
T'Kara literally did not have a single line of dialogue in the actual mission outside of Bashir's medical lab, fyi.

This is, I feel, one of the places where ViL falls short. It's fun and well-written, but you the PC do not matter in the slightest.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Pyroi posted:

This mission is honestly one of the best ones in the game, and that's mostly because it's The Magnificent Ferengi, Part 2.
Exactly this.
While it has the issue that the player character doesn't really do anything during the entire thing, it's also a great Ferengi episode with the return of the cast from the series. It's an episode that is simply fun to play through and I love it for it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also i think its fun to not shoehorn the PC into personally doing everything of import in the universe for once.

It would also be neat to have a level where you alternate between playing as Worf on the ground and the PC doing ship stuff in space too. Shame its not likely to happen

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's an ensemble episode, sheesh, not like Sisko was the star in every episode either :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
God Hunters

Captain's Log, IKS Jat'layn

Officially, we never found the Sword of Kahless.

What we found in T'Ket's vault was a forgery. Everyone knows the Sword of Kahless was a steel blade forged in the fires of Kri'stak and quenched in the waters of Lusor. A shard of a Hur'q carapace that predates recorded Klingon history, much less the Night of Falling Stars? Patently absurd. T'Ket kept enough strange artifacts in her vault that the Alliance has completely written off Rom's expedition as a fool's errand.

Unofficially, the Jat'layn is joining the Defiant and the Tain for an expedition to the Havas-Kul system. A pulsar on the edge of Dominion space, briefly surveyed early in the Dominion's history, determined to have no strategic value, habitable planets, or valuable resources, and ignored. According to the Dominion's official records. That the Havas-Kul system matches the analysis of the fake Sword of Kahless we found, that analysis of Hur'q movements in the Gamma Quadrant point towards that region of space as being the origin point of the Hur'q attacks, and that partial coordinates we found in the databanks of the Mensa system lab match Havas-Kul are all merely circumstantial evidence.

Unofficially, I am in agreement with the other members of this expedition: we are sailing for the Hur'q homeworld.

We're getting some interesting readings. Heavy tetryon radiation, metallic compounds, lots of germaniun. One planet and a large moon.
Deep scans, please. I don't want to be ambushed.

I don't like this. Scans are showing lots of bare rock, but no metallic compounds. It's almost like...
...Like it's been completely stripped of anything remotely useful. The calling card of the Hur'q, if I'm not mistaken. What are your scans telling you?
The interior is a maze of tunnels, thousands of kilometers of them. No lifesigns.

Interesting, but not terribly promising. Shall we forge on to the planet?

Hmmm. The planet has a highly eccentric orbit. Looks like the planet collects matter and radiation from the nebula as it sweeps around the pulsar. Definitely not habitable by most standards.
Matches the Founders' data from Mensa. The Hur'q were a subterranean species, likely sheltering them from the worst of the radiation.
An orbital period of several thousand years... that explains the Hur'q lifecycle. This orbit coincides with previous Hur'q emergences.
Again, fully in line with the Founders' so-called Burrowers. I do believe we've found the Hur'q homeworld.
Fascinating. We're detecting complex structures and active power signatures below, and no lifesigns. Up to a little trip?
Wear environmental suits. I'm not showing a breathable atmosphere down there.

Interesting suit, General.
Solanae tech. I was part of the expedition into the Solanae Dyson Sphere.

This chamber appears to be a natural formation, but scans show unusual energy and a lot of magnetized metals and salts not far from here. Most of these caverns appear to be worked rather than natural.
Fits the subterranean origin of the Hur'q. Native to natural caverns that they then excavated and modified as their civilization developed.
My science team thinks the natural magnetic activity caused by the planet's orbit is the key to Hur'q technological development. We know from examining disabled Hur'q ships that they use magnetic fields and ferrofluids in much of their technology. This planet shows why they would have developed their technology like that.

In retrospect, I really should have seen that one coming. T'Kara to expedition, respond.
Glad you're still with us, General. Looks like you fell down a sinkhole, but you're not far from Garak and Bashir. These caverns are all interconnected. Also, transporters and energy weapons are non-functional in these caverns thanks to the magnetic interference.
That will not be a problem, Captain.

I maintain that these are the most ridiculous things that have yet come out of the quartermaster's office. A 'nanopulse' bat'leth? Really? A bat'leth with retractable blades that vibrate at an ultra-high frequency and are sheathed in a disruptive energy field? I'm mildly concussed and alone on a hostile alien world with at least one Hur'q that doesn't appear on lifeform scans and I can still think of a dozen ways for this ridiculous toy to go wrong. Please, oh please, stop taking ideas from Starfleet R&D.

(It was a reward from event earlier this year, along with the nanopulse pistols you may have noticed my boffs using in earlier missions)

Drantzuli eggs. Fits what Kuumarke said about them being genetically modified. Symbiotic relationship at first, then as the Hur'q developed they engineered the Drantzuli to better take care of them during the hibernation cycle.

Hmmm. This wall is generating a magnetic field. If Hur'q technology is based on magnetism, and the crystals in these caves also respond to magnetic fields. I wonder...

I haven't been reading the reports by Alliance intelligence services on Hur'q biology. I wonder if they can naturally sense, and maybe even manipulate, magnetic fields. We only know of two species native to this planet, the Hur'q and the Drantzuli, but it stands to reason that on a planet like this it would be a natural evolutionary strategy.

nope nope nope

What the... T'Kara to Kira, I've encountered a field of antigravity. The Hur'q has backed off. I don't think it likes the field.
Good to hear. I'm with Garak and Bashir, we've found a large artificial chamber with breathable air, it looks like modern Hur'q technology. What are your surroundings like?

Artificial construction, stone and metal. Looks relatively primitive barring the antigravity. I'll keep moving.

(Despite how disorienting the 3D movement and lack of a map can be, this area is simpler than it appears. There's only one way forward, barring a few side rooms.)

T'Kara to Kira. I've found an active computer console. Sending data now.
Receiving, datamining... Finding a lot of historical data here. The short version: the Masan data was right. The Hur'q used to be a peaceful species. There's talk of a 'great betrayal,' some kind of epidemic in the population... then it all turns to gibberish.

Found another console, transmitting.
More historical data, you might be in some kind of museum or archive. Most of this is technical. Looks like the Hur'q have been spacefaring for thousands of years, but their armaments were very minimal until just a couple of thousand years ago. How did they go from peaceful explorers to the killing machines they are now?
Two thousand years ago is when the Dominion found them, Captain. I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.

(Seriously, this mission never once references the Masan system's reveals)

I've exited the antigravity field. I'll be joining you shortly.
Good. One of your officers, Commander Telenth, is with us. We've figured out that we're inside a Hur'q ship that seems to have been damaged. Our best guess is that this is a shipyard or drydock facility. Your officer is rigging up transporter enhancers, but progress is slow.
Understood.

A pleasure to see you, General. The good doctor and I, along with your officer, have begun making sense of where we are. We think this is the ship's command center, and can restore power and critical systems from here.
Hur'q technology is based on magnetic manipulation of ferrofluids and morphogenic crystals. If we can find the right crystals, I should be able to power things up.
It's not dissimilar to the electroplasma and isolinear chip systems we use in our own technology. We've already managed to partially reactivate the ship's computers.
I've also made an important discovery in the historical data you found, combined with the medical data I've recovered. This planet was never rich in life, but there was a type of fungus that thrived here, even in the harshest of the pulsar's radiation. It used to be an essential part of the Hur'q diet, until it abruptly vanished from the planet's ecosystem. Without it, the Hur'q began to suffer from a severe form of malnutrition. It lead to a number of neurological disorders, many of which you've seen first-hand. Paranoia and uncontrollable aggression being the most common.
We're working on things here, but most of the surviving members of the expedition are somewhere in the area. General, you're the only one here who's armed for areas of intense magnetic interference. Can you find everyone else and send them here?
I can, but understand that I doubt I'm a match for that Hur'q. It's much faster than me, possibly stronger, and knows these tunnels intimately.
Understood. Still, you have a better chance than any of us. Good luck, General.

(This part is more of a maze, but again it's deceptively easy - it's laid out as one big loop. It's easy to get turned around, but there's only three chambers and they all look a bit different. The Hur'q will sometimes appear behind you if you linger too long in the hallways, and you indeed can't fight it. Just run into the rooms, though, and it backs off.)

Oh, screw this!
Good call!

(Actually I turned around, because...)

Right, that thing doesn't like antigravity.

(Each of the three rooms has an antigravity field allowing access to the vents in the ceiling. You do need to come up here for one of the rooms.)

Doctor, I have found the Hur'q lair. And the creature.
Is it attacking you?
It is... busy with one of your crewmen. Doctor, I've never seen a Hur'q like this before.
Neither have I. Albino coloration, those crystalline growths, faster and stronger than any Hur'q we've seen... it must be some kind of mutant.
I'm getting out of here before it changes its mind.

(No explanation is given for the not-a-xenomorph, it's just labeled as 'Mutant Hur'q')

Gronth here, I've met with the others. And possibly started my annual shedding early.
Doctor, I've found one of the Hur'q... consoles. Transmitting.
Received. Datamining... The fungus had an enzyme critical to the Hur'q's neural functioning. When the fungus disappeared from the planet, they rationed their stores and tried to synthesize a replacement. They failed. Keep searching.

Seldom a dull day in the Klingon Defense Force.
Follow the right wall past where I came in and you'll find the others.
Understood.

(This is the room where you need to go up into the vents)

My God... the enzyme the Hur'q need is a Ketracel.
As in: ketracel-white, the drug the Jem'hadar need?
The same family of enzymes, yes. Ketracels are isogenic enzymes and extremely difficult to produce artificially. To most species they're an addictive narcotic, but this... this was a naturally occurring enzyme and a key part of Hur'q biology. General, the potential implications... if the Dominion was responsible for the disappearance of the fungus...
The Dominion has much to answer for.

Captain, would you be offended if I insisted that this be the last away team mission I go on?
At this rate... No, not at all.
The archaeologist in me is fascinated by this place, and by the Hur'q. All things considered, however, I'm tired of the subjects of my research trying to kill me.

This confirms the Hur'q's first contact with the Founders, thousands of years ago. The Hur'q considered the Founders' obvious thirst for knowledge somewhat suspicious, but things were peaceful at first. General, I think we have everything we need.
Good. Nelen, with me. Let's get out of here.

Nicely done. We have transporters up and running, among other things.
The Universal Translator has also finally sorted out the rest of their language. General, we know what happened now.
Do tell.
It's a record of the fall of the Hur'q civilization... at the hands of the Dominion. For some reason, the Dominion removed the Ketracel fungus during a Hur'q hibernation cycle. Military conquest, most likely. The Hur'q went insane shortly thereafter.

quote:

Presumably, they thought they could shackle the Hur'q by offering them this fungus they needed. Only the Hur'q were too far gone after they woke up without the enzyme.
That does appear to be the most likely scenario, yes.
And now we're all paying the price.

The Tzenkethi protomatter crusade against the Drantzuli... was your doing?!
Tzenketh was ravaged by the Hur'q a long time ago, just like Qo'noS was. All it took was a whisper in the Autarch's ear that the Drantzuli were connected to their ancient foe to set him on the path of war. I merely helped the crusade maintain focus.
An elegant play, it must be admitted.

You've found a secret I've kept for millennia. Something I've kept even from Odo and the Great Link.
The origin of the Hur'q infestation.
And your role in it.

Enforcers, willing to obey orders without question. Physically, the Hur'q were perfect candidates. But their peaceful, free-thinking nature was an obstacle. In studying their biology, I found the solution.
The Ketracel precursor.
Yes. I extracted it from their ecosystem. They had no choice. Obey or die.
But things didn't go as planned, did they?
No. They became savage, incoherent... volatile. With each cycle, the swarm grew larger and wilder. My ability to control them diminished. And yet, they were useful. I could point them in the direction of my enemies, let them rampage, and await their hibernation.
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war."
They were a failure, but they provided a useful gift - Ketracel.

I knew you were involved in this, somehow.
You built an empire on slavery, and now it's all falling apart.
What was your first clue? The Jem'hadar, addicted to drugs? The Vorta, programmed to worship your kind as gods? The campaigns of genocide against everyone who refused to submit?
When the Alliance learns of this-
They won't. None of you are leaving this world alive.
You would kill another Founder?
There were other Founders who knew the truth, once. Like you, they did not want a Dominion built on the backs of slaves. They tried to depose me, to expose the truth to the Link. They failed, and paid the price for their lack of vision.

I'm afraid I can't allow that.
Neither can I.
Relax, General. I have a more elegant solution than shooting.
You've forced my hand, Founder.

Councilor, may I suggest shooting?
As you wish, madam.

(The Mutant Hur'q is a very simple boss fight, nothing special to it and you have plenty of help)

I think that's our cue, General. Now that we have transporters working, we should take advantage of this.

All of you! You killed a god! MY god!
Did no one tell you about Klingon history, Weyoun? We killed our gods a long time ago, it was good to get some practice in.
My beautiful Founder, gone forever. I loved her so... And now you'll pay the price. Guards!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Weyoun, no matter the number, remains a fucker.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 18, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Wouldn't be a Weyoun if he wasn't a fucker.

Also getting a little tired of the "perfectly peaceful race of contentment and tranquility until x" trope.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Weyoun, no mater the number, remains a fucker.

Actually they're clones :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

Also getting a little tired of the "perfectly peaceful race of contentment and tranquility until x" trope.

This reveal also annoys me because no one brings up the Vorta and Jem'hadar as examples of the Dominion openly existing on slave labor already and instead treat the Hur'q like some shocking revelation that goes beyond the pale. These people do ridiculous turbo war crimes like this, and somehow everyone in this story is acting like they're good-ish guys?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cythereal posted:

This reveal also annoys me because no one brings up the Vorta and Jem'hadar as examples of the Dominion openly existing on slave labor already and instead treat the Hur'q like some shocking revelation that goes beyond the pale. These people do ridiculous turbo war crimes like this, and somehow everyone in this story is acting like they're good-ish guys?
:There were other Founders who knew the truth, once. Like you, they did not want a Dominion built on the backs of slaves. They tried to depose me, to expose the truth to the Link. They failed, and paid the price for their lack of vision.

: Slave species should be artisanal and home-grown, they said! Like the Jem'Hadar! No outsourcing slave species, that's how you lose authenticity as a genocidal fascist regime. Freaking hipsters.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wait, wait, are you telling me that the Dominion...

...are the bad guys?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The difference is that jem hadar and vorta serve 'voluntarily', while the hurq would have been openly coerced.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tunicate posted:

The difference is that jem hadar and vorta serve 'voluntarily', while the hurq would have been openly coerced.

It's okay! They want to be slaves! Because we programmed them that way! And keep one of them addicted to drugs just in case!

As it is, this was the semi-final update of the LP. :) Finale next week.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It'll be interesting to see how you choose to end this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Listen pal, you'll get your ridiculously impractical sci-fi melee weapon and you'll like it.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

Cythereal posted:

As it is, this was the semi-final update of the LP. :) Finale next week.

Don't be sad it ended, be happy it was. It's been a hell of a ride Boss, can't wait for the finale

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

argosaxelcaos posted:

Don't be sad it ended, be happy it was. It's been a hell of a ride Boss, can't wait for the finale
Plus this is ending on a high note, so that's a good thing too.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

[ I knew you were involved in this, somehow.
You built an empire on slavery, and now it's all falling apart.
What was your first clue? The Jem'hadar, addicted to drugs? The Vorta, programmed to worship your kind as gods? The campaigns of genocide against everyone who refused to submit?
When the Alliance learns of this-
They won't. None of you are leaving this world alive.
You would kill another Founder?
There were other Founders who knew the truth, once. Like you, they did not want a Dominion built on the backs of slaves. They tried to depose me, to expose the truth to the Link. They failed, and paid the price for their lack of vision.

Y'know, the "duh, Dominion is evil" thing has already been commented on, but can I say stuff like this is pretty convincing proof the real reason solids "turned on" the Founders is because they've always been this kind of jerk?

quote:

Hey, wait a minute, how is a being made of liquid killed by being STABBED by a claw?! She has no vital organs to pierce! I call shenanigans here! She's just faking it to get out of the conversation, isn't she? Garak at least should have been suspicious enough to suggest they suck up the remains "to bring back to her people" and then flush them into space and replace it with jello or something.

quote:

All of you! You killed a god! MY god!
Did no one tell you about Klingon history, Weyoun? We killed our gods a long time ago, it was good to get some practice in.

Great line of the update here :D.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Hey, wait a minute, how is a being made of liquid killed by being STABBED by a claw?! She has no vital organs to pierce! I call shenanigans here! She's just faking it to get out of the conversation, isn't she? Garak at least should have been suspicious enough to suggest they suck up the remains "to bring back to her people" and then flush them into space and replace it with jello or something.

It isn't clear here, but apparently she also gets electrocuted I think?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wdarkk posted:

It isn't clear here, but apparently she also gets electrocuted I think?

Nope. It just stabs her twice and she explodes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Nope. It just stabs her twice and she explodes.

I played through this recently and I could have sworn there was some kind of energy effect over her as she was impaled on the claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:cryptic: