Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

they’re good games they’re just really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
we just finished BL2 uvhm with the drop rates for purple and above turned way up and it was surprisingly not bad. i really liked the fastball grenades, turns out.

the problem with all borderlands games is that for a loot shooter the loot sucks. they have all these cool weapons but they never give them to you. the expectation seems to be grinding at a tenth of a percent chance to get a drop or something similarly soul-crushingly unfun to "earn" the right to use something "cool" which will be level appropriate for half an hour.

fix that and you have a variety of fun things to try, numbers that go up, numbers that go up which are color-coded by element type even. but without that fix? enjoy 70 hours of randy pitchford's dumb loving idea parade. These are games with a core idea that is fun that self-sabotage it at every single turn.

e: oh yeah play in co-op or don't bother imo

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Millions of technically unique guns, with only a handful worth using, and you can't have too much fun with them.

Well, at least other games will let me have hilarious knockback shotguns.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Psion posted:

the problem with all borderlands games is that for a loot shooter the loot sucks. they have all these cool weapons but they never give them to you. the expectation seems to be grinding at a tenth of a percent chance to get a drop or something similarly soul-crushingly unfun to "earn" the right to use something "cool" which will be level appropriate for half an hour.

At least real MMO games have an excuse of time-based subscriptions to drag out gameplay like that. And even the F2P ones usually have a pay2win option that lets you skip the tedium if you really want to.

But this series? It's a single player/online co-op games with no subscriptions which act like they're an MMO in that you gotta grind forever if you don't cheat.

And even if you do cheat it's hot garbage.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Geemer posted:

And even if you do cheat it's hot garbage.
It really depends on how you're cheating. Save editing perfect builds and going on a cross world raid boss hunt would be warm garbage at best, maybe even down to "not warm enough to really smell bad" garbage. There are some really great bits, but they are surrounded by flaming diapers if you're not cheating

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
What's annoying is that you're forced to cheat just to get the game to drop all the cool stuff during a play-through. It's obviously fixable without breaking the game's balance (mostly). The ONLY reason it wasn't fixed is Randy Pitchford as far as I can tell. It's like getting a Pokemon game and finding out that it was hacked to some bizarre rule-set where all you encounter is Pidgey and you're forced to only use it because some rear end in a top hat on GameFAQs says that it's the only "true way" to play Pokemon, so the game developers listened only to him and his whining. Sure, you could probably figure out a way to beat the game, but you're essentially locked out of 99.99% of the other playable Pokemon. The difference here is that in BL2 you have a 1:10,000 chance to get any orange gear that you would actually want to use (though it may have been adjusted since then). You actually had better odds of encountering a shiny Pokemon than a legendary in BL2

These 2 games are the only games where I would tell new players that they have to use some cheats to really get all the loot content that the game has to offer. It makes it fun for me, but still really annoys me that I'm forced to go through this in my own play-throughs.

Past this, the games, though not perfect, are enjoyable as shooters with loot. I still enjoy them on occasion after over 6 years of owning Borderlands 2.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah from what I read about Borderlands 2 and subsequently pre-sequel is that Randy wanted a mom and the actual team wanted to make a loot shooter.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
What kills me is that BL2's DLC had those Seraph Crystals as currency to buy some unique guns. The crystals were somewhat easy to farm from the raid bosses on any difficulty, but Gearbox listened to the idiots on their forums... and made the crystals only drop on the hardest difficulty

And that's why I learned how to edit Playstation save files, because gently caress all that.

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 7, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Finally, out of no where! Gearbox talks about -- a Borderlands 1 remake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thank goodness! Now you can use your modern consoles to re-experience all those memorable characters, areas, and weapons like

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now you can use your modern consoles to fight skags and spiderants for 300 hours!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

mastersord posted:

What's annoying is that you're forced to cheat just to get the game to drop all the cool stuff during a play-through. It's obviously fixable without breaking the game's balance (mostly). The ONLY reason it wasn't fixed is Randy Pitchford as far as I can tell. It's like getting a Pokemon game and finding out that it was hacked to some bizarre rule-set where all you encounter is Pidgey and you're forced to only use it because some rear end in a top hat on GameFAQs says that it's the only "true way" to play Pokemon, so the game developers listened only to him and his whining. Sure, you could probably figure out a way to beat the game, but you're essentially locked out of 99.99% of the other playable Pokemon.

So, Pokemon Reborn.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Now you can use your modern consoles to fight skags and spiderants for 300 hours!

I enjoyed Borderlands 1, but it is probably telling that when I think back on it, most of what I remember is from the DLC. They were a lot more interesting than the base game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have no interest in a BL1 remaster without a major refresh/revamp of basically every aspect of the game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rinkles posted:

I have no interest in a BL1 remaster without a major refresh/revamp of basically every aspect of the game.
You're right, the drop rates were way too high, and some of the guns were good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The BL1 maliwan hellfire was :hellyeah:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Double Anarchy was also a hell of a thing.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Dareon posted:

So, Pokemon Reborn.

Yeah, but it's the latest official game, it contains the newest generation of Pokemon, and it's the only one for the latest generation of consoles. You can pirate the ROM and hack it to reveal that the game is fully playable if you disable this lovely rule-set, but Nintendo won't officially do anything about it and tells everyone to just suck it up. A few years later, they release a patch and now you have a 1% chance to catch a Rattata. After this, Nintendo goes silent.

Edit: Meanwhile on the official forums, a bunch of idiots are begging the developers for further nerfs. Bring the catch rate down to 1% and start you off without any pokeballs until you somehow reach the 5th gym without even a starter (meaning play it like some kind of stealth game).

..and that doesn't even go into the scaling issues that BL2 and TPS hit when you hit higher difficulties, but those are minor compared to the drop rate problem.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 8, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I know the reborn thread is some form of mass self-inflicted psychological trauma or whatever but even as bad as Borderlands is, it's not Reborn. Not even close.

Borderlands more or less works, for one thing. not well, but it works. :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

me, before clicking on this thread: “hey why does my borderlands thread have 12 new posts?”

me, after clicking on this thread: :negative:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

in lighter news we got my favorite item in the game!

Episode #8: Literal Fart Jokes

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its easy to make simple, effective and not at all socially lovely comedy, Randy. A farting butt slam. A basketball jonesing into space. Killing dudes in non vertically slanted levels, while we occasionally see big/pathetic threats just trip and fall down stairs. Removing a lovely loot treadmill and maybe just letting players cheat in game through badass points with better and better drops if you're so married to both in bad ideas in practice.

These things could help make a third game you still seem to have trouble conjuring up while you rererelease Skyrim and now Oblivion again for newer tech.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Did you get Gearbox confused with Bethesda.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The Kaubocks and Panzer origin story

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i hope you guys like being locked in a room with unskippable dialogue

Episode #9: One Weird Elevator

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

can you post your cheat table because I found a table for the pre-sequel which does not actually give us loot odds manipulation (well, it does, it just doesn't work) :\

Or is there a trick to the tables this time other than BL2 (get in game, launch CE, load table) that we're missing?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nah, shouldn’t be any more complicated than BL2. try

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/technojacker-cheat-engine-table.1225273/

panzer and i found it took some
time for the new odds to really kick in though

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

We figured it out - instead of enabling them inside the town after starting the game, enabling them at the main menu made them populate immediately.

:hfive: to getting oranges

though i did get this incendiary railgun laser before we figured that out and as nisha that thing is busted with aimbot aim and rapid fire on head weakpoints

just casually wipe out a swarm of scavengers, like you do

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

in lighter news we got my favorite item in the game!

Episode #8: Literal Fart Jokes

Until I watched the video I thought for sure you were talking about the Bogan Gun, something I swear I remember being in the game and not some weird fever dream.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

:iiaca: but "it is a Pokémon analogy".

Un/fortunately, the "iiapa" is already taken...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

LashLightning posted:

:iiaca: but "it is a Pokémon analogy".

Un/fortunately, the "iiapa" is already taken...

I could've used any popular game/franchise, but with 2 Pokemon LPs going on, it just seemed right.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

mastersord posted:

I could've used any popular game/franchise, but with 2 Pokemon LPs going on, it just seemed right.
Three, actually. Pugnacious Doggie recently started up an LP of Pokemon Rejuvenation, a Pokemon fangame made by people who thought Reborn had the right ideas, but didn't go far enough.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Thank goodness! Now you can use your modern consoles to re-experience all those memorable characters, areas, and weapons like

T.K. Baha, motherfucker!

Also Lilith, back when she wasn't a walking meme.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chesnok posted:

T.K. Baha, motherfucker!

Oh drat, you actually got me on that one. Fair enough! Ride the wave, dude Gearbox!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oh boy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the story just keeps getting more and more :stare: as you go on

what the heck

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1083827429704118273

:stare:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I was not expecting that to escalate in the direction it did. :stare:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey folks panzer and i are gonnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

not

publish more videos of this for the time being

which isn't to say we're cancelling the LP, just uhhhhhh we're gonna sidestep this a bit and come back to it a bit later next week or so when there isn't a blisteringly hot impact crater around the gearbox name

at least let the roaring dumpster fire burn itself down to a moderate fire first ya dig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Guy: man, Bethesda is such a terrible company.

Gearbox: hold my beer