Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

READ HERE
Current chapter: 195, but I'm not gonna update this post every week.

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed is a manga doing very successfully in Japan and which I've been trying to share with my English reading peers for like 2 years now, to very very... very moderate success. I translated about 45 chapters for Helvetica Scans, but they struggled to release it at any sort of readable rate, and now it's on indefinite hiatus. not anymore. Me and the new team are now caught up to the Japanese raws, and release the translation every week (when the magazine's not on break), generally on Wednesday.

Here is the synopsis from that page:

Synopsis posted:

A mysterious mansion called Souboutei has towered proudly over the Tokyo district of Numanakarai since the Taisho period. Those who enter either never escape, or leave having experienced horrors untold, and with the desire to take revenge. The latest work from seasoned author Kazuhiro Fujita (Ushio to Tora, Karakuri Circus), a modern action/horror adventure.

I wrote that synopsis before we'd even released chapter 1, so I shied away from even the tiniest spoilers from early into volume 1, but that's essentially it. If you're confused, on the fence, or just don't care about early spoilers, here's a more detailed synopsis: The basic conceit of the plot is based on a single question many people have asked during a horror movie: Why don't they just loving bomb the haunted house? In Souboutei Must Be Destroyed, two victims come to that exact conclusion. It just so happens also, that the victims in question are now, many years after the fact, the prime minister of Japan and one of his closest aides. So they literally bomb it in chapter 1, destroying the entire surrounding neighborhood. The house is unharmed. Not only that, but they broadcast the whole thing live to the whole country, so now everybody knows the place is hosed up. And then to top it all off, the PM makes an announcement that a gigantic sum of money goes to the individual who can destroy Souboutei. And that's just the tip of the loving iceberg. It releases in Weekly Shounen Sunday.

List of reasons Souboutei Must be Destroyed is valuable to the world of manga.

1. Art that is unbelievably good for a weekly series.
2. Foreshadowing for huge twists dozens of chapters in advance.
3. Plot developments are wildly unique from other manga.
4. THREE DIMENSIONAL AND NON-SEXUALIZED FEMALE CHARACTERS.
5. Tone shifts drastically as needed, while retaining the same holistic style.
6. The number of genres it manages to fuse into a single plot is loving insane.
7. Pacing/panelling/composition all overflow with the feeling that the mangaka has decades of experience. Cuz he does.
8. Chapters can be entirely different from one another. A full-chapter fight can follow a chapter that was entirely dramatic flashback.

Rules:

-This is a discussion thread. Feel free to discuss any chapter you want. However, due to the nature of this thread, USE SPOILER TAGS FOR ANYTHING PAST WHATEVER'S IN ENGLISH. Well, now that the English is caught up to the raws, just use spoiler tags at your own discretion, like for stuff in the latest chapters.
-Please keep discussion of strictly Ushio to Tora/Karakuri Circus stuff to a minimum. It's off topic. Also, I haven't read much of either of those series. Souboutei is better.
-If the blackened is exposed during the class trial, they alone will be executed.
-Additional rules may be added at the headmaster's discretion.

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
sick i'll check it out when my final's over

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
I read the 1st few chapters of this a while back, ty for reminding me that it existed because id forgotten about it. I like haunted house horror stories so i was both disappointed and intrigued when it turned out to be something way more ambitious and insane

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it's rad how mad all these weird folks are about this evil house.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i really dig the art and story so far but im on chapter 3

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
thats cool and all but summaries dont really stand in for actual translation. too bad it died like karakuri did

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
i read the remaining chapters. im pissed that the translations cut off right when they got into the house. Scanlators must be destroyed

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I love that sisters trio, too bad they'll prob be grisly murdered. :(

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Couldnt you just give me the raws and translations so i could clean and typeset and release them. ive never done it before but it seems like it would be pretty easy to do like 1 chapter a month. Scanlators operate by insane esoteric social rules that normal humans cant understand though so maybe that would create "drama".

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I do summaries, how do you feel about this format (and image size)?

[blah blah I'll introduce the chapter here]

[describe plot]

Kurenai posted:

Crap...

I love how the light makes her eyes look in this panel.

Something like that? Though to be honest there are so many great panels that this would potentially end up with me posting practically the entire raw chapter...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

halleys comet posted:

Couldnt you just give me the raws and translations so i could clean and typeset and release them. ive never done it before but it seems like it would be pretty easy to do like 1 chapter a month. Scanlators operate by insane esoteric social rules that normal humans cant understand though so maybe that would create "drama".

Who gives a poo poo? I loving hate it when internet communities let their weird club-rules get in the way of their putative purpose.
Though if this is gonna happen, loop me in so I can proofread it? If this is the going to end up being the only extant English version of this series I'd kinda like to help make sure it's a good one.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, sounds like you need to give the translations to somebody else. Its really baffling how often translations are delayed forever because of an editor (I am assuming its the editor, and not the typesetter)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you've translated 45 chapters, what's taking so long for them to release? editor? typesetter? translation group rivalry? anyway don't do summaries, theyre an awful way to consume manga and aren't going to help the popularity of this series in any way

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Oh my goodness this is good material, please, go on with your translation project.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
prime minister holds a special televised press conference

"hey house, FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh hey I read the 15 chapters of this that were available a while back, didn't know it had completely stalled out like that

I'd be interested in reading more if y'all are going to restart releases but yeah don't bother with summaries

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright the people have spoken, so the summaries idea is out.

There’s a bunch of reasons (idk how good) that the scanlation is super cursed or something, since despite a lot of people’s efforts we couldnt release it quickly at all.
-The art is too detailed to use the legally available digital raws.
-The art style creates a slew of problems with cleaning (which in turn is a problem for redrawing).
-The series sometimes has a lot of floating narration which is heavy redrawing work.
-Loads of thin vertical bubbles.
-Sound effects that are too integrated into the art to be drawn over but too important to ignore.
-Probably a bunch of other stuff I can’t think of right now.

Obviously I’m desperate to share probably my favorite manga, but I still won’t allow it to look like poo poo when I do. I’d also prefer to catch up since I’m currently freaking out alone over the reveals every week, but that’s basically an impossible task with an ongoing weekly series. Furthermore is that I think Souboutei reads very well in a weekly format, and EXTREMELY well in a binge format, but suffers a lot if releases take longer than a week, just based on plot pacing.

I guess for now this is also a “ideas to get souboutei released” thread.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

onsetOutsider posted:

-The art is too detailed to use the legally available digital raws.
Not sure what you mean by this. Are the digital versions really so bad that they're worse than scans?

onsetOutsider posted:

-Sound effects that are too integrated into the art to be drawn over but too important to ignore.
There's a solution to this one that some of the real publishers use, which is to put a TL note in the space between panels or in the margin or something. Frankly I prefer that to redrawing SFX anyway.

onsetOutsider posted:

Obviously I’m desperate to share probably my favorite manga, but I still won’t allow it to look like poo poo when I do. I’d also prefer to catch up since I’m currently freaking out alone over the reveals every week, but that’s basically an impossible task with an ongoing weekly series. Furthermore is that I think Souboutei reads very well in a weekly format, and EXTREMELY well in a binge format, but suffers a lot if releases take longer than a week, just based on plot pacing.
Release it in volumes, or plot-arc sized chunks if you think that's going to be more satisfying based on your experience of how the series handles its breakpoints.
Again, I'm speaking only for myself, but with ongoing series I very often don't read chapter by chapter anyway -- I wait 'til there's enough to be a satisfying chunk before I catch up.

Could you give us a raw example of a page or two you'd consider difficult so we can get a better idea of what we're dealing with here?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
for the sound effects issue at least, was there some problem with just doing a translation of it in the margins somewhere and leaving the actual art alone? I kinda hate when groups completely redraw sound effects tbh since the art should be left alone as much as possible imo

e: beaten, whoops

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For my records, exactly how crap of an experience is reading a manga w raws side by side w the text of the translation? Cuz I have my own 600dpi scans and full translation of plenty. So that’d be releasable like, yesterday.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
It's unpleasant enough that I personally won't actually do it. It just spoils the experience for me.

YMMV. :shrug:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might try my hand at solo-ing chapter 16 in a sort of rudimentary fashion (I do have an ongoing thread in GBS where I do all the lettering myself) but... I don’t have infinite time or anything... And if I can’t sustainably do a chapter a week at the SLOWEST, I probably want to think of something else.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

onsetOutsider posted:

I might try my hand at solo-ing chapter 16 in a sort of rudimentary fashion (I do have an ongoing thread in GBS where I do all the lettering myself) but... I don’t have infinite time or anything... And if I can’t sustainably do a chapter a week at the SLOWEST, I probably want to think of something else.

id be happy to do cleaning and some degree of redrawing on a weekly basis if you were to handle the typesetting

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be honest, one of the absolutely strongest factors in Souboutei's scanlation delay was this absurd standard for cleaning in the SL scene, where basically people will think you're complete dogshit if there's dust barely visible on the page when you view your screen at a severe angle or whatever. So people would spend weeks and weeks trying to clean dust in and around the detailed art, in the already VERY readable scans, without loving ruining the art in the process. I frankly don't give half of a poo poo about dust or the physical texture of the paper being discernible by the naked eye (you could argue it's an issue for redrawing but that's it), so that cuts the working time of a chapter by quite a lot already, since it essentially means cleaning is already complete (I've already done basic B&W leveling on them so that I can read them without going sepia mad).

Concerning TS, I can certainly do it but it has the potential to be time consuming, so it's a big "maybe" if that's a thing I can consistently do. However, I'm fairly obsessed with this series and often find myself rereading entire volumes when I'd initially set out to just find a certain panel, so I have passion enough in spades to work on it.

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm speaking only for myself, but with ongoing series I very often don't read chapter by chapter anyway -- I wait 'til there's enough to be a satisfying chunk before I catch up.

Yeah, I also prefer digging into a hefty established series that I can get completely lost in for as long as I want... but I also love serialized stories for the community and discussion they can inspire. There's also a particular aspect of Souboutei's pacing that you can feel in the chapters, like I get the feeling Fujita pays really close attention to where exactly he ends chapters. Sometimes, he'll even skip way ahead in the last couple pages just to get to a reveal that won't be properly expanded upon for like 3 more chapters later. So I think it's uniquely more suited than most for weekly reading.

Also Rokurou and Seiichi are boyfriends *cough* what?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i had hoped this was the fujita series getting an anime when that stuff was being teased but it turned out to just be karakuri circus... which isn't even benefitting from the anime in terms of scanlation status

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

i had hoped this was the fujita series getting an anime when that stuff was being teased

Me too and it would have been so legendary!!
(tho tbh i’d probably be that guy complaining about every single cut line of dialogue or missed directing opportunity)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately i don't think a fujita manga will ever get a faithful adaptation. a pared down version that keeps the main plot beats is probably the best we'll ever see.

i just wish they'd done the fights in u&t justice.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DOWNLOAD CHAPTER 16 HERE!
https://www101.zippyshare.com/v/6XKiTKU5/file.html

So, I very much want you guys to let me know what you think of the overall quality of this chapter cuz it took me probably 5 collective hours to do, so if this quality is a-ok for y'all then I think I can legit get this out several times a week. At LEAST until I get past where I've already translated. Cuz having to retranslate a couple lines here and there is NOTHING compared to the goddamn headache that was translating Kikuyo's incantation the first time.

YOU DO NOT NEED SPOILER TAGS TO DISCUSS CHAPTER 16 PAST THIS POST

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 31, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Somehow I had missed this thread when it first showed up. Thanks for all of your hard work onsetOutsider, i'll check these out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, count me curious.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Looked good to me. Admittedly any set of pages with a guy harnessing electric power to punch a bunch of possessed folks in a haunted mansion would look good to me.

Useful criticism should always include something that could be improved: One of the punch aftermath panels had some floating dots that worked perfectly with the scene, but would be out of place outside the mansion. Also there was the nonsense chanting noises. Are they chants that this guy pulled out of his rear end? Or miscellaneous chant noises, just cool looking onomatopoeia for standard chants.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

habituallyred posted:

One of the punch aftermath panels had some floating dots that worked perfectly with the scene, but would be out of place outside the mansion. Also there was the nonsense chanting noises. Are they chants that this guy pulled out of his rear end? Or miscellaneous chant noises, just cool looking onomatopoeia for standard chants.

Those are actually present in the raw as well, which is part of why the manga is incredibly hard to properly clean fully. A lot of times residual debris or else just as a manifestation of spookiness there’ll be those black flakes in the air.

I have no clue if the chants are legit, but since he says the next bit in quotes I’m kind of assuming that’s supposed to be a translation of the chant. I do know though, that the small chant he loves to say (Taratakanman) which i translated sort of haphazardly as “by the power of buddha” or some crap, is legit. There’s also a LOT of highly specific Shinto terminology used that I had to do research about so I think we can assume that Fujita is presenting at least a sort of accurate representation of these certain religious sects or what have you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Started reading it and god drat everyone's absolute hatred for that house is so amusing.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DOWNLOAD CHAPTER 17 HERE!
https://www40.zippyshare.com/v/Q4NqrDMB/file.html

(And that's basically how fast my turnaround can be.)

YOU DO NOT NEED SPOILER TAGS TO DISCUSS CHAPTER 17 PAST THIS POST

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
A Snowpiercer scene moving into any horror movie worth its salt. If the prime minister can see in the dark, why wear the NVGs? Going to be a little disappointed if Souboutei is just a fancy soul distiller. Good contrast between dark room and room where light no longer exists.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

habituallyred posted:

If the prime minister can see in the dark, why wear the NVGs?

I'm assuming to blend in. More interestingly, the PM himself super did not have to involve himself physically in the test attack at all, so why did he feel the need to swing a stick at Seiichi with his own hands? I never thought about that until now. They're both (PM and defense minister) absurdly frickin intense about Souboutei but I guess him more so.

Also what the hell is a soul distiller?

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2019

Lucien_Reeve
Feb 15, 2012
This is a fantastic series and I love it and the author's other work. I was amazed to discover that there were another 100+ raw chapters online. Very glad to hear someone else cares about it and is still translating it.

Edit: doesn't seem like I can send you a message, so: Just wanted to ask if there was anything I can do to help with the scanlation. I have photoshop and a degree of basic competence with it - I could probably do cleaning or redrawing if you like?

Lucien_Reeve fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 4, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

man i'm on the edge of my seat here, this is some good poo poo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what i find kind of fascinating so far is that seiichi's origins are certainly weird and spooky, but they seem to be pretty disconnected from souboutei. why's the kid got such a hateboner for a house that he apparently never actually visited? or that anyone around him actually visited?

i mean presumably whatever happened in that other world he came from is connected to souboutei, maybe that's the origin of souboutei? but the kid knew souboutei's name upon arriving.

other related mystery: why did the plane happen to reappear at the exact same time the house got bombed?

theory: souboutei is a pathway between the other world seiichi came from, and our world. they're obviously related, there's an awful lot of spirals in the house and seiichi can spiral his body into drills. also, people who've been in souboutei for even small amounts of time are transformed: the prime minister, defense secretary, and roukurou can all see in the dark now, presumably seiichi is what happens after 45 years of exposure, rather than under an hour

while all this has plenty of otherworldly stuff going on, we don't really know how spooky ghosts connect in yet. what we know of souboutei so far could easily be purely some kind of bizarre scifi thing with an alien planet, but the manga has gone out of its way to show that 1. spirits and ghosts are real 2. seiichi can interact with/destroy them 3. souboutei obviously has something to do with spiritual stuff, the scientists and diviners were getting plenty of results. but we don't actually know anything about how dead people connect to souboutei yet. even the more recent zombie people are actually alive, so what's the actual dead spirit behind all that? presumably the artist who built the house has something to do with it, but there's no details to really even begin filling that kind of stuff in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I suspect that the airplane flew over Souboutei, which caused all the bad things to happen.