Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm actually not even caught up on this series at all, but I appreciate your work all the same and look forward to revisiting it in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Argh this manga
Cliffhanging me constantly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you'd think at this point folks would have realized you should probably just stay the gently caress away from souboutei

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you'd think at this point folks would have realized you should probably just stay the gently caress away from souboutei

But then how on earth are you going to destroy it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Punk rear end bitch house should stay the gently caress away from me if it knows what's good for it!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
219 is up on mangadex.

and the flashback which all but confirms in my mind the gay deido theory. i dont think you have to read too deep to see where i'm coming from there.

...and i continue to read with baited breath for my theory to be confirmed true

[note: my words in this post were not influenced by knowledge of events past chapter 219. im careful about spoilers]

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This series is basically four cliffs on the edge of a cliff.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Argas posted:

This series is basically four cliffs on the edge of a cliff.

Thats how cliffhangers work

Endless Climax: The Manga

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats how cliffhangers work

Endless Climax: The Manga

Alternatively:

Souboutei must be d...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Are we still on Souboutei

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Souboutei must (never) be destroyed

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
by the way, we still upload chapters here despite mangadex being down. https://reader.deathtollscans.net/series/souboutei_must_be_destroyed/

we released chapter 224 a couple days ago. more soon hopefully, depending on my mental state
(235 are out in japanese, for reference)

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 2, 2021

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

by the way, we still upload chapters here despite mangadex being down. https://reader.deathtollscans.net/series/souboutei_must_be_destroyed/

we released chapter 224 a couple days ago. more soon hopefully, depending on my mental state
(235 are out in japanese, for reference)

Thank you and let's get that Souboutei destroyed ASAP.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
New Chapter

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What the gently caress Deido
You're bullshit

Zanka and makoto :smith:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 28, 2021

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

[chapter 229]
Interestingly, there have been a couple teases that Souboutei's "time poo poo" originates from Deido, rather than inherent (or intentional) Shino/invader stuff. Prior to this chapter I'd been wondering when/if that was going to be explored further. Cuz tbh I'd be fine with leaving that kind of thing open to "it's because aliens" (such as the invaders' means of teleportation, which is nonsense by any metric lol).

I can't remember which of these came first, but I remember two moments that made me curious. One was during Kurenai's modelling and she said Deido could spontaneously change the light from the windows to suit his aesthetic preferences of the moment. That felt like it needed explaining at the time but that's all that was said on the matter. The other was when Kaerikuro heavily implied that the "time tunnels" connecting to 80 (or something) years ago were something Shino wouldn't know about. Which was basically confirmed since their plan shouldn't have worked if Shino knew about them. If I recall correctly, I believe Kaerikuro said that all the tunnels connected to exactly the same period of time. So based on more recently revealed (implied?) information, those tunnels were probably created by Deido, maybe subconsciously, for some sort of Zanka-related reason (also inspired by the story of Urashima Tarou in general). Can't rly speculate on the specifics of that, but this last chapter explicitly revealing that Deido has command of time to some extent means that will probably be explored before the series is over.

edit: On the subject of Kaerikuro and Zanka dying, here's my thoughts. They could die, BUT... we already know ghosts exist and can return to their bodies given a certain degree of motivation. I won't be mad if this *doesn't* happen, but I see some great potential for a strong emotional miniarc of Zanka and Kaerikuro interacting as ghosts. The most intriguing thing about the possibility, to me, is that it's quite believable for both characters to simply... not want to return to life. It would still be cool to see them as ghosts accepting their fate as a true send-off for the characters, but if they ended up (somehow) gaining the motivation to keep living, that would be just... such a good emotional moment. I don't know how it would get from point A to point B, but it would surely be great!

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 28, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh for sure, considering how the manga gels together mysticism and sci-fi in one big pot. As for them both dying, the manga so far hasnt really cheapened death by nullifying it, and uses it in crux emotional moments, its a sad sendoff for either of them but im fine with it sticking

[230 spoilers]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

that deido on that spread in 232 god drat

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's some random errata I'm sure few people will care about:

I was looking over older chapters for a line reference, when I saw that chapter 17 was titled 溶暗, which I translated as "Cut To Black". Literally the meaning is "fade/dissolve to black" but in the context of the chapter I thought this was a snappier title.

Anyway, what caught my eye was the 溶 kanji, because it has been used so SO many times in the series in reference to the aliens "melting/dissolving" (溶ける). Maybe this is a coincidence, actually it most likely is. But I can't help going full tinfoil hat about Fujita playing word-games with a concept he hadn't even introduced to the series yet.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Grandpa alien is the true MVP of this manga.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Grandpas water
For all you thirsty souboutei bois

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The final showdown finally starts, and it's... the ending of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

just remembered that seiichi and makoto are related to takoha through the takoha name and therefore also descendants of yomiza. which I guess also means the alien planet has been taking the shape of yomiza's son the house is filled with people deido hates

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 23, 2021

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

this art battle rocks already

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its incredible

(Ganbatte, steak-san)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Whew, read all the new chapters on the reader - it took me a while to notice most of those were two pages on one screen, so I actually read the twice, the art is a marvel. And the art contest is genius.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, this [spoiler alert] final battle [end spoiler] is a really drat good concept.

For the record, I have finished the manga as of yesterday and it nails the ending.

Since the ending made me really want to talk about how good it was, I've been remotivated to continue the translations!

edit: Now where is my "must be destroyed part 2" manga featuring adult seiichi or some poo poo??

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 22, 2021

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just binged this whole series in a day and it rules

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

I just binged this whole series in a day and it rules

Thanks! I'm super happy that I've been able to share this series with the English-speaking world these past 4 years. With only 13 chapters left to translate [and working hard on getting those out promptly], its starting to really hit me that this is all almost over. Back in 2017 I was calling this my favorite manga of all time, and while that sentiment has become more and more qualified over the years as "one of" my favorites, I can probably conclude firmly now that Souboutei is my favorite manga. If for no other reason than my personal connection to it. Chapter 1 was the first ever translation I felt confident enough in to post online, and soon it'll be my first major completed project. I absolutely adore this series and the time I've spent with it.

I'm waiting with bated breath for Fujita's next series, which according to the pattern will be a shorter one. Maybe Black Museum 3, which would be interesting. Almost needless to say, I intend on translating whatever else Fujita ever publishes. Not that I feel an ownership of him by any means, but y'all probably get what I mean. The scanlation scene has never been very competitive around Fujita manga lol. I also definitely feel like I "get" him and his writing style, in a sense. At the very least, I've translated ~4500 pages of his manga lol.

For now anyway, I'll just focus on finishing the project.

e: estimates on when his next series might appear

here is the past data:

quote:

ushio to tora --> karakuri circus: 273 days
karakuri circus --> jagan (1 vol): 194 days
jagan --> springald (1 vol): 94 days
springald --> gekkou jourei: 237 days
gekkou jourei --> ghost&lady (2 vol): 232 days
ghost&lady --> souboutei: 272 days

If he takes a longer break than ever before, then it'll start on or after April 20, 2022.
If he takes his shortest post-long-series break ever, then it'll start on or before January 26, 2022.
If he takes his shortest *ever* break, it'll come on or before October 20, 2021. But don't count on it.

Most likely range is between January 26 and April 20 of next year. So it's probably gonna be a while, unfortunately :smith:

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 24, 2021

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
There's a lot of stuff in the manga that bored me or I disliked outright, but it's been a wild ride. Souboutei is such a vividly-realised setting I'm going to be sad when it's destroyed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Down With People posted:

There's a lot of stuff in the manga that bored me or I disliked outright, but it's been a wild ride. Souboutei is such a vividly-realised setting I'm going to be sad when it's destroyed.
Unfortunately, it must be.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw chapter 237 is out https://reader.deathtollscans.net/read/souboutei_must_be_destroyed/en/24/237/page/1

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Wait it was an ongoing series? Felt like something written 30 years ago.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

god i love takohas self insert rear end feelin character

what a drat unique protagonist

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wait it was an ongoing series? Felt like something written 30 years ago.

correct, it started in late 2016 and ended this last wednesday

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fujita's art style makes everything he does seem like a forgotten 80's manga. that's not a bad thing!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
238: https://reader.deathtollscans.net/read/souboutei_must_be_destroyed/en/24/238/page/1

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

every crazy deido face is a masterpiece

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I like this art therapy session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deido, art isnt supposed to give you CTE