Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By the way here's some minor foreshadowing from chapter 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

while all this has plenty of otherworldly stuff going on, we don't really know how spooky ghosts connect in yet. what we know of souboutei so far could easily be purely some kind of bizarre scifi thing with an alien planet, but the manga has gone out of its way to show that 1. spirits and ghosts are real 2. seiichi can interact with/destroy them 3. souboutei obviously has something to do with spiritual stuff, the scientists and diviners were getting plenty of results. but we don't actually know anything about how dead people connect to souboutei yet. even the more recent zombie people are actually alive, so what's the actual dead spirit behind all that? presumably the artist who built the house has something to do with it, but there's no details to really even begin filling that kind of stuff in yet.

Iirc rokurou said he had a feeling the bad stuff at souboutei isnt because of ghosts, and it seems more likely to be some kind of cosmic horror extradimensional monster thing, so if there are ghosts hanging around theyre probably just a side effect of whatevers really going on. Since the artist who built the house was obsessed with death, maybe it's a device for immortality or something? maybe it separates the soul from the body and leaves the souls trapped in souboutei forever? not sure how that would relate to the alien monster side of things, or to what happened to seiichi, though

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

onsetOutsider posted:

I'm assuming to blend in. More interestingly, the PM himself super did not have to involve himself physically in the test attack at all, so why did he feel the need to swing a stick at Seiichi with his own hands? I never thought about that until now. They're both (PM and defense minister) absurdly frickin intense about Souboutei but I guess him more so.

Also what the hell is a soul distiller?

Soul Distiller, Poison Jar, RPG Mechanics. All different ways to say 10 normal people go in, 9 corpses and a superhuman comes out. I would have to double check, but I am pretty sure everybody who came out with nightvision watched somebody die in Soubotei.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I fully support the theorizing going on, and I kind of wish I could contribute except for the minor fact that I know (all?) most of the answers. I'll confirm that the smaller details you've picked up on which the series didn't necessarily flat-out say "this is a mystery", as well as logical connections that the manga didn't directly make yet... well, y'all are on the right track reading into those.

I honestly love the way Fujita lays out the mysteries in this series. Like, a normal author might keep a mystery alive by feeding us the puzzle pieces at a gradual rate, but Fujita ain't about that poo poo. Fujita just throws a fistful of puzzle pieces at you, which he carefully selected so that you can't piece them together logically yet, and then throws another fistful at you before you were even done thinking about the last one. The brilliance of it all comes from the fact that it's not random at all, and once you get enough puzzle pieces to reach a reveal, they make 100% sense. Yet, I basically didn't see any of them coming, so yeah. Some of the twists in this hosed me up bad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

halleys comet posted:

Iirc rokurou said he had a feeling the bad stuff at souboutei isnt because of ghosts, and it seems more likely to be some kind of cosmic horror extradimensional monster thing, so if there are ghosts hanging around theyre probably just a side effect of whatevers really going on. Since the artist who built the house was obsessed with death, maybe it's a device for immortality or something? maybe it separates the soul from the body and leaves the souls trapped in souboutei forever? not sure how that would relate to the alien monster side of things, or to what happened to seiichi, though

i just mean, assuming that seiichi's crazy drill powers and the house are connected, the house has to have something to do with ghosts, because a chapter or two was spent establishing that seiichi's crazy drill powers also decimate ghosts

i suppose it is established earlier that the crazy drill powers suck the spiritual energy out of the living as well (happened during the Katana Shaman fight), so maybe "can be used to eat ghosts" is a side effect of "eats the spirit out of living people"

which. hm. those zombies are alive, but clearly not normal humans. humans who had their spirits sucked out maybe?

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
What program is everyone using to read the chapters? I have Comical for RAR files but it just gives me an error saying it's not a valid RAR file when I try opening it.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Note: If I ever see some kind of analysis or discussion that's informed by a line that was edited in translation, or otherwise a Japanese reader would have cause to dismiss the theory, I'll bring it up. On that note there's a couple of random notes I want to throw out here, which you may or may not want to keep in the back of your mind.

-Seiichi's hair is canonically light blue, not white. It's like that in color pages but also it's described that way textually exactly once. All of the other white-toned hair characters are normal. So like, that's just another level he's weird on.

-The sei in Seiichi means 'blue', the roku in Rokurou means green, and Kurenai means scarlet. In color pages they are often drawn with those colors as a motif but not always. Takoha (Tsutomu)'s name has no colors in it or any kind of meaning I can see.

-Part of the manga's setting was based on the 1971 English novel "Hell House" by Richard Matheson. There's stuff he borrows flat out, like the name Barrett and naming an anti-ghost device Reverser. And stuff like the existence of a rational-minded scientist character. I haven't read it (yet) so I don't know what kind of further inspirations he took, but yeah.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

VibrantPareidolia posted:

What program is everyone using to read the chapters? I have Comical for RAR files but it just gives me an error saying it's not a valid RAR file when I try opening it.
I think there might be something weird with the files, I had to re-rar them in order for them to work with CDisplay.

Also, Hell House was also a movie. Its kind of crazy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pacLdQdJJpY

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DOWNLOAD CHAPTER 18 HERE!
https://www56.zippyshare.com/v/uHIyDsun/file.html
(I made it .zip in case that fixes the problem with the .rars)

It's the end of volume 2! Woo! And probably one of the meanest cliffhangers ever pulled in manga. The like 3 days I had to wait between finishing v2 and v3 arriving in the mail was torture! Anyway, I feel like the first volume ends in a weird place but the first 2 volumes together comprise a sort of "intro arc" which just ended. So I almost like to imagine that the first 2 volumes are more like a double-length first volume.
Also, I got so fed up with my past self's writing that I'm practically just retranslating it all haha, so that's fun.

YOU DO NOT NEED SPOILER TAGS TO DISCUSS CHAPTER 18 PAST THIS POST

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 5, 2019

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

onsetOutsider posted:

-Part of the manga's setting was based on the 1971 English novel "Hell House" by Richard Matheson. There's stuff he borrows flat out, like the name Barrett and naming an anti-ghost device Reverser. And stuff like the existence of a rational-minded scientist character. I haven't read it (yet) so I don't know what kind of further inspirations he took, but yeah.

Ive only seen the 1973 film "the legend of hell house" but if it was a faithful adaptation we can assume the final twist will be that souboutei is controlled by an extremely horny midget.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drat that's an incredibly mean cliffhanger

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so something that came up while i was reading this chapter: when the prime minister and defense secretary snuck into the house, part of the outer wall was destroyed

also, earlier, construction machinery destroyed the outer walls so that the wrecking balls could move in

so, we know that the walls are destructible

but, they weren't destroyed in the initial bombing. they had to be wrecked by the construction crew afterwords

so are the walls a part of the house or not? is there something special about them?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ninjewtsu posted:

so something that came up while i was reading this chapter: when the prime minister and defense secretary snuck into the house, part of the outer wall was destroyed

also, earlier, construction machinery destroyed the outer walls so that the wrecking balls could move in

so, we know that the walls are destructible

but, they weren't destroyed in the initial bombing. they had to be wrecked by the construction crew afterwords

so are the walls a part of the house or not? is there something special about them?

I suggest you refer to this page and the next one for more info about that (I'm like 90% sure the hole is the result of that incident). To be perfectly honest I'm also pretty confused about the whole "destructible or not" discrepancy, so I translated those lines pretty much as literally as possible.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Is there any reason you're not uploading your stuff to mangadex or some other place where people might actually read it?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nipponophile posted:

Is there any reason you're not uploading your stuff to mangadex or some other place where people might actually read it?

Yeah cuz that would make it official and this quality is nowhere near acceptable for an official scanlation release. Plus, Helvetica Scans which I'm still sort of part of still sort of has "claim" on the series. I also don't have a Mangadex account. But if it'd expose more people to it then I might. I'm still concerned about the editing quality though.

edit: also the file sizes are too large for Mangadex

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 6, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh gently caress nevermind I just found this on Mangadex. I guess anything goes.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

onsetOutsider posted:

Plus, Helvetica Scans which I'm still sort of part of still sort of has "claim" on the series.

I'm a big fan of Helvetica, since they've worked on a lot of things that would have otherwise gone under the radar. That said, they haven't done anything with this particular manga in several months, and they don't seem to have been responsive to your efforts to continue the series. Releasing new translations, especially for a thing you were already doing the translations for, shouldn't ruffle any feathers. If it does, I'd like to ask that you refer the offended party to me, where I can tell them in no uncertain terms to get hosed.

Like, what could someone reasonably get mad at you for? "Oh poo poo, this thing that we wanted translated is now getting translated! gently caress!!!" Of course, people may unreasonably get mad at you, in which case again refer them to me where I can tell them in no uncertain terms to get hosed.

onsetOutsider posted:

edit: also the file sizes are too large for Mangadex

Well, this could take literally minutes to resolve...

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

onsetOutsider posted:

I suggest you refer to this page and the next one for more info about that (I'm like 90% sure the hole is the result of that incident). To be perfectly honest I'm also pretty confused about the whole "destructible or not" discrepancy, so I translated those lines pretty much as literally as possible.

The house has given up its outer wall to lure folks in before, during the wrecking ball scene. The recoilless rifle note and illustration suggests the M67 if the military was called in for the 70s era investigation. The 45 years ago timeline would roughly match up... if it wasn't for the assumption that internal explosives would damage internal rooms, as opposed to outside walls.

Color chat has me waiting for Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow themed characters to show up in the mansion. Red, Green, and Blue are the primary colors for light, but we are dealing with a painter's haunted mansion here.

Yep. A very compelling cliffhanger here.

I'll second getting this off the current site you are using. Judging only by translator credit pages groups can be awful touchy about real or perceived lowering of standards. I know some groups have released "application series" in the past where they try to hook in new members with the start of something rad. "Look at the first two volumes that we did in our spare time, sure would be nice if somebody would join us for the rest," that sort of thing.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright you convinced me to host it on Mangadex.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol so upon hearing that I went rogue, Helvetica dropped this series. IM A FREE MAN

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
In that case im repeating my offer to do cleaning and redrawing. hell maybe even typesetting once in a while. i dont have the time to do it more than once a week but if you could recruit multiple people and have them take turns you might be able to release them at the rate you want and still have it look pretty

Also maybe you should use "Wild Words" the canonical scanlation font

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
READ CHAPTER 19 HERE!
https://mangadex.org/title/21474/souboutei-kowasu-beshi

And as usual, download it here:
https://www89.zippyshare.com/v/n8U3kynb/file.html

Oh man, this is where the manga really starts getting good. I love how practically nothing was resolved from last chapter, but we still got a ton of great content in an entirely different way.

YOU DO NOT NEED SPOILER TAGS TO DISCUSS CHAPTER 19 PAST THIS POST

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean, i'm kinda assuming 80% of all the major cast members weren't suddenly killed off, but i don't fully understand how they're going to get out of this pickle. since no one else ever survived the paintings i'm guessing not all of them come back, i guess maybe just katana shaman is possible?

when morita's little painting adventure was being shown i was wondering if the painting had osme kind of test that had to be passed, and because morita had previously let a dog drown he was condemned by the house. but nah, science girl's painting adventure makes it clear that the house is just using their most hosed up memories to torture them

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Maybe it's a bit of both? Both situations were childhood traumas that the people in question felt guilt over, (not saving the dog, not being 'perfect'). Maybe the key to survival is to kind of forgive themselves and see it from their adult perspective and be like "hey, I was just a kid who prioritised making it to school on time over saving an animal because that was my life then" or "hey, it was kinda super hosed up that my dad demanded absurd levels of perfectionism from a literal child under threat of physical injury".

Of course we've only seen two people's experiences thus far so guilt might not even be the thing everyone has in common, but it's interesting to think about.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapter 20 here!
https://mangadex.org/chapter/516903/1

call me mr speedy manga

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok, so clearly they make it out of the paintings

interesting that zombiemorita got blown up. maybe that wasn't actually his body? might mean rokourou can get his dad back

there's a lot of stuff going on in this volume that has me on the edge of my seat, but hard to do much theorizing

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

halleys comet posted:

Also maybe you should use "Wild Words" the canonical scanlation font

Something like this was gonna be one of my two suggestions: literally any font that looks vaguely like comic book writing would make this look more polished than the current ones.
The other thing, though it'd be more work and is mostly only of interest to weirdos like me who read their manga on ebook readers, is that it'd be nice if you could split the pages when they aren't spreads.
Other than that I don't think this really needs that much more polish. There are a few text boxes that look a bit choppy, but that's a minor detail. I certainly don't think it needs a load of cleaning; the raws are super high res, which helps.

Anyway, it's super cool and I love the premise of the two kids being so traumatised by the ghost house that they made a pact and achieved two of the most powerful roles in politics just so they could bomb it to gently caress. :allears:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

chapter 21 is out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/517566/1

thanks for the translation, this poo poo has got me gripped!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for linking it man, i was just about to

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Fereydun posted:

chapter 21 is out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/517566/1

thanks for the translation, this poo poo has got me gripped!

That's a hell of a chapter.
I love how his artistic background becomes relevant to the situation.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Holy gently caress this is good poo poo, and I'm gonna check back in 6 months so that I can power through to chapter 45 or whatever in one sitting. :eyepop:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This poo poo great.
I honestly wanna see more general politics and such, and the reaction to the prime minister calling for all out war on a haunted mansion. That stuff was great.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
I think they said near the start his admin was unpopular. Probably he wasnt a very good prime minister because every time he had to handle affairs of state hed go, fiscal stimulus, sure i guess. new US military base, fine whatever. please dont bother me with this stuff unless it has to do with killing a house

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eyyyy chapter 22
https://mangadex.org/chapter/518246/1

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the main char is weirdly super hotblooded after being presented as a big nerd
it's cool, esp. bc he looks like a char straight out of an older manga/show rather than a modern design (i guess this may be related to the general style of it?)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally, I'm out with chapter 23
https://mangadex.org/chapter/522934/1

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its about time i update this, huh
https://mangadex.org/chapter/553660/1

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Just wanted to post to thank you for the work you're putting into this; I'm deeply enjoying the comic, and seeing weird 1920s cosmic esotericism placed outside of its 'normal' Western context has been exciting. I'm a bit surprised there aren't more manga riffing off some of the weirdness of the Taisho period's art scene (and if anyone is familiar with any other manga/anime dealing with it, I'd love some recommendations).

The Easy Rider fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 5, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah this poo poo's great, looking forward to more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah, this manga is incredible, thanks.