Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I want to control an adventurer!

Mindthief please! I will also play Cragheart or Brute.

Party name: The Missionaries

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm of the opinion that this should be relaxed and fun and not bogged down with optimized play and minmaxing. Anything we try is going to have flaws so let's just do it and see what happens.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh man, I've been eyeing this game for a while, but I just cannot justify the price tag to myself. I'm gonna watch this closely, and hopefully not get swayed into spending money I don't have. Looks really interesting.

It's a legacy game that will provide you and up to 3 other people high-quality fun for literally a year or two depending on how often you get together.

If anything this game is undercosted.

Split the cost between your intended play group if you're all on a budget.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Torch Thieves is a fine party name

Mindthief name: Splinter

Cragheart and Brute should be Rocky and Bullwinkle respectively.

Mindthief PQ: These both suck because we can unlock either of these through reputation. That said I pick Fall of Man because I already know what Sun is and I'm predicting that most players will make "good guy" choices which will lead to Sun being unlocked organically.

Cragheart PQ: The Angry Face one (Goliath Toppler) because we don't want redundant Sun unlocks.

Brute PQ: This one is tough because I know what Two Minis is and I really like it but IDK what Lightning Bolts is. I'm picking the safe option of Two Minis (Trophy Hunt) though.

City Event: I'm going to consistently vote for the rear end in a top hat options because my IRL group has already done mostly good guy options. So Option B.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 20, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Counterpoint: burn every bridge :supaburn:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Quick reminder for active players: according to the rules as written, you can't take X cards on until after the first scenario. However this is Italian Guy's game and he can house rule it if he wants. Just sucks that technically the Brute can't take Balanced Measure.

I completely disagree with the poster who said Balanced Measure isn't that great. It is. It really is. Which is why I agree with the item choices proposed. It sucks not having Hide armor until later but in this game damage output is supreme.

Road event vote: Save the puppy!

Items vote: Same as everyone else

Also LMAO that my character names all got voted in. Thanks for validating my old man 80s jokes. :haw:

Good luck to the players! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Edit: completely agree that the Cragheart should save gold for Eagle Eye Goggles. Combining that with Backup Ammo (and eventually a Minor Power Potion sometime after hitting level 3) is nutso. Maybe the Piercing Bow after that.

Brute should totally get the anti-crit helmet too. That item can literally be the difference between a scenario victory or failure.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 21, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

The game recommends you don't take them if you've never played a game before. Unless people really want to squawk, I'm absolutely taking a couple of mine.

PMush didn't say Balanced Measure isn't great (card is awesome), just that it's volatile and might not be super reliable this early and I tend to agree. It's a lot better once the Brute gets more Move 4s in its deck.

Which is not to say the Brute shouldn't take it!

That's fair. Sorry to PMush for misquoting. I agree that it requires some setup to use effectively but I disagree that it's unreliable.

Please take X cards if Italian Guy allows it! Even if he lets the thread vote I don't think many people will be rules lawyers about it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That went way better than I expected.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Just my opinion as an observer but the 3 -1s should have been decided between the players.

It won't really make a huge difference but I don't think it should be RNG in the future.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fat Samurai posted:

Split as evenly as possible and then RNG?

Or simply make the players decide on the first turn, as they send you the orders.

EDIT: Oh, update. You're being efficient, only 1HP loss (I think) and 2/3 of the room cleared is pretty good.

One character has to take all 3 -1s. You can't split them up.

Also go team! You're still doing pretty well!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

During table talk are we allowed to say what hex we plan on moving to, or would that be revealing a number since it would indicate a minimum move value we're playing?

You can say literally anything except specific initiative numbers and card names.

My group regularly says things like "I'm going as fast as my character can go and doing XYZ". All of us know exactly what that number is but it doesn't matter as long as you don't say it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You can take a damage to lose a different card. Not sure if the risk of losing one of the others is worth it to you though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Am I misreading the damage on Rocky? It says he took 4 but the base was 3, modifier +1, and he had 1 shield. Doesn't the shield cancel the +1?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure I know what each player's battle goal is at this point :)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LMAO Balanced Measure is so ridiculous.

Reik posted:

I for certain wouldn't have blocked the Brute's loss attack 8 in order to get my attack 3 off, thank you for playing it out this way.

Balanced Measure isn't a loss card. :getin:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh right Skewer is a loss. Proper use of it in this case.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Slaan posted:

MVP to Brute

Agreed. Specifically the 8 damage Balanced Measure. :fuckoff:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Quick reminder that scenario 2 is linked to this one so you can skip a potentially crappy road event by not going back to Gloomhaven.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well, knowing what I know about scenario 2, it would really suck if we got a road event that had us all start the scenario with some kind of negative status. I'm probably the only one who will vote for going straight to scenario 2 but idgaf :)

If we go back to town I agree that Bullwinkle should buy the Iron Helmet. That's one of the most cost efficient investments for that class.

Bumping the difficulty is cool too. Scenario 1 is supposed to be hard and the players crushed it for free. I want some tension!

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 3, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Might be worth it to grab an Iron Helmet for the Mindthief, too. Makes it easier to take 1 focus here and there to help spread the damage around without risking a big 2x forcing a lost card. I imagine the Cragheart will save for Piercing Bow or Eagle Eye Goggles?

I disagree. The Mindthief should never take a hit, especially in this party with 2 other meaty characters.

The best hat for the Mindthief isn't unlocked yet (Empowering Talisman) so I think we should wait for that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I think with Empathetic Assault in the deck you're leaving resources on the table by not taking a hit every now and then.

In either case, is it worth it to rent the helmet for 5g until then?

Well, as the person who will be playing the Mindthief next, and as a veteran Mindthief player, if the Mindthief is taking a hit something has gone horribly wrong. :)

Also the Invisibility Cloak covers this situation pretty well. Its primary use is blocking doorways but it's a perfectly fine "Oh poo poo" button if things go south.

And you never intentionally take a hit just so you "don't waste healing". That's silly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I mean, you wouldn't take the hit if it could be entirely avoided, that would be silly, but if you could shift the hit from the Cragheart to yourself and heal up with Empathetic Assault next turn you would be getting the most out of your cards.

Getting the most out of your cards isn't the primary goal. It's winning the scenario. :)

Having said that, if for some reason Rocky and Bullwinkle are low on hp I'll take a hit for them in a pinch. But as I said before, if the party is in that kind of situation then we have probably made multiple collective mistakes. Let's try to avoid that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'd suggest getting the Eagle Eye Goggs for our Mindthief at some point, because she can be built to have a really slim modifier deck, and they'll let you guarantee a hit and give a decent shot at a crit if she starts making a habit of donating.

For 20 more gold you can enhance the bottom of Empathetic Assault to add Strengthen or Bless to the self heal and leave the hat slot open for the item I spoilered earlier. That item will let you get back your stamina potion so you can maximize the re-use of Empathetic Assault.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

Enhancements are not available this early.

I know. I still don't think EEG are good for the Mindthief.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Piell posted:

1) Buy the Iron Helmet for Bullwinkle
2) Try to save the Vermling, lynching is bad and Master Splinter should save a fellow Vermling.

Agreed on both of these.

As the next Vermling player I'm not letting one of my oppressed brothers get executed by the speciesist locals. He was probably falsely accused but even if he wasn't he was likely stealing to survive. gently caress these people. I will shank a bitch.

As you can probably tell I'm gonna role play Master Splinter, but not as the sensei of turtle teens we all remember. :)

A couple quick questions:
- Did we have any other options for scenarios other than scenario 2? I don't remember there being anything else other than a random scenario or replaying scenario 1.

- In my version of the game a Sanctuary donation only gets you 2 blessings. You listed 3. Is that a change in a newer version of the game?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Our only scenario options at this point are Barrow Lair, Clockwork Cove (side scenario gained from looting the chest in the Black Barrow), or re-doing the Black Barrow for shits'n'giggles. Or a random dungeon, technically. The thread chose Barrow Lair.

I'm fine with saving the vermling. Really I think Bullwinkle would be kind of indifferent, it's not an Inox being lynched (as if these puny humans could do so) and his personal quest has no bearing on it, but at least one of his companions seems to feel strongly about it so why not?

I'm a moron and forgot about the random scenario that was unlocked :doh: I'm barely awake.

While I'm ok with Master Splinter donation to the Sanctuary, I vote to save gold for Boots of Striding. After that he's pretty set for a while on gear and could donate regularly until we unlock enhancements.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I think Boots of Striding would be an excellent purchase for Splinter, but Rocky and Bullwinkle have already scooped up both copies in the shop. What would you think of Winged Boots instead? That would allow players to stop bringing Feedback Loop if they want.

Ah crap I forgot they had them both. Feedback Loop owns and I will be taking it this scenario so I don't think the Winged Shoes are a good idea. I'd rather vote for donating to the Sanctuary.

This a boss scenario so those extra crit chances will be really nice.

In fact I would recommend that Rocky donate as well for the same reason.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 4, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
8 donations is fine with me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You guys are assholes :mad:

DO NOT EAT BERRIES!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

malkav11 posted:

Eat the berries

And keep in mind what they look like in case we run into more berries in the future.

We will.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Sorry for the delay. Working on it right now.

I intend to augment up and force an archer into a trap. Deploying in the back behind the meatsacks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

namad posted:

Are the players supposed to see that "02" ?

Yes.

quote:

This thread will make "remembering" what's on the back of event "02" very easy. Maybe moreso than it should be? Given that it'll take 6-16months to see the card again (honestly IRL or in this thread), without the thread, and without being allowed to check the back, I think players memory of past events is supposed to be vague? Maybe for posterity of the thread the numbers on events should be redacted from all the images? Allowing players to go back a year and read the flavor of the card's front and back, but without being able to see the numbers their certainty will be slightly more vague, as I imagine it's supposed to be? I can't really explain myself any better without being spoilery. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Nobody cares. This thread is just for fun. Stop taking it so seriously and backseat modding. Thanks. :tipshat:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Argh I forgot to specify exactly which hex I wanted to deploy in. I would like D1 but honestly I will take anything in the far back row.

Since I'm last in initiative order, I will move any archer that is NOT in stun trap into a stun trap. If this is not possible I will just do a generic move 2 and get as close to the door as I can.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 7, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
On my initiative, if there is more than one archer that can be forced to move into a stun trap, I will force the one with the highest hp to move.

If there are 2 potential targets and both have the same hp, I will move the one with the lowest number.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Good job everyone!

Do you guys think you can kill the remaining 2 archers next turn? If so I can open the door and get this party started. I'm also willing to delay a turn if you guys want.

Alternatively I can try to kill an archer if someone else would prefer to open the door. The main reason I suggest that I open the door is because I can charge in and go invisible.

It might be best if we all just sweep up this turn then charge in together next turn. Thoughts?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah after thinking about it I think we should gang beat the archers next turn and then charge through the door hard on turn 3.

WHO'S WITH ME?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

I don't think dawdling is going to benefit us. Let's just mop these guys up and kick down the door.

So could the both of you attack first and then move through the door next turn?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK then I vote that this turn we all try to attack first in order to kill the archers, then bust through the door. I'm fastest so I can open the door and go invisible so I don't die and to set up a slow initiative big hit on the next turn.

I'm going move as far as I can into the next room.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
It's fine. I think we've all done this scenario before and we know what to do.

I'm not going to just forget what I know about this scenario.

Even knowing what's in the next room doesn't guarantee victory. We could still lose to bad RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

OK, then I'm going to go with relatively low but not blazing fast initiative, hit an archer relatively hard, then set up to tank in the next room. I'll be able to move a huge amount and hit an enemy hard next turn, depending on what's needed.

Alright so based on this I am not going too far into the next room. I will still open the door and probably go invisible but I will stay near the door. That will give us all more options for the next turn. I brought a card whose bottom lets me give an ally a free move. If you want a slingshot next turn that would be hilarious but otherwise I can charge in with you and gently caress poo poo up.