Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I would like to volunteer to control a hero.

For party composition, I would like to suggest: Brute, Spellweaver, Mindthief. The Spellweaver enjoys all the excess Ice the Mindthief makes.

For party name, I suggest Torch Bandits because this parody city event is too real.

Reik fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Party comp: Brute, Spellweaver, Scoundrel. Two glass cannons and a "tank." We don't need any healing.

How would you feel about Brute, Spellweaver, Mindthief?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

I'm way more interested in Scoundrel than Mindthief.

If we bring the Scoundrel we probably want to bring the Brute along, and if we're not bringing the Mindthief I think the Cragheart would be a better ranged damage dealer.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

So just to confirm, are we going to have the same party of three characters until they retire, but rotate who controls them from scenario to scenario?

I'm cool with Brute/Scoundrel, but are you saying that a Cragheart is a better ranged DPS than a Spellweaver? Because if so, you're insane.

I don't think they would do more damage, but I think they would fill the ranged damage role and be better for the group overall. For example, if the Scoundrel really needed someone adjacent to an enemy and the Brute was immobilized or otherwise unable to get there, the Cragheart could stand next to an enemy for a turn and not explode.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

On the other hand, in exchange for not being able to stand in melee range, the Spellweaver could simply delete other enemies.

If you want to do Brute/Cragheart, that's a totally fine party, but I think at that point, we should go Brute/Cragheart/Tinkerer.

Edit: You know what? I actually really really like that. I'm changing my vote to Brute/Cragheart/Tinkerer.

Hm, it would be a very durable group, but would it have enough damage? I'm thinking more for boss scenarios.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I played Tinkerer as my first character, and it's not too often you get to hit more than 2 targets with those starting AoE losses. I think Brute/Crag/Scoundrel would be more balanced.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Cragheart was my first character. I'm well aware of its damage dealing abilities, I just think they lag behind a bit.

I feel like the Cragheart "engine" works right from the get go, though. Spellweaver's only element generation is on loss cards at the start, but they have multiple non-loss spenders. Cragheart however, can run relatively smoothly from level 1 with 3 earth spenders and 3 earth generators., and I think that's why it's a more enjoyable experience starting off.

Since there are a possible 20 starting combinations of 3 heroes, maybe we should vote on them one at a time?

Reik fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 19, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Mindthief PQ: The Fall of Man. I always prioritize the ones that unlock other scenarios because that means more Gloomhaven!

Cragheart PQ: Goliath Toppler We can unlock Sun through Reputation.

Brute PQ: Trophy Hunt I don't want anyone to feel bad if they take a turn playing the Brute and don't manage to exhaust him. Also, Zealot of the Blood God is a good PQ to take later in the game when you've unlocked most of the content and aren't really worried about retiring ASAP.

City Event: Option A We didn't get to be The Torch Thieves by not trying to help!

For names, Rocky and Bullwinkle is amazing for Crag/Brute

As far as playing, I would be happy to play any of the three classes if someone wanted to switch.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Would now also be the time to vote on items? Or at least discuss them?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think things that are contained within the scenario like what cards you take and what battle goal you pick are up to the player. Items last between scenarios though, so those would be voted on.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Splinter will just continue to get older and older and mentor the new recruits.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Piell posted:

As far as items, we need all new ones

Mindthief: Cloak of Invisibility (Item 005), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Cragheart: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Brute: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)

I agree with these items

Also, I've done this road event before, but even if I hadn't, who just leaves a puppy to die? Vote to take the puppy back to GH.

I assume there's normal turn discussion? I.E. we can give a general outline of our turn but not saying what specific cards we're playing, what initiative we're going on, or any other numbers?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
My plan is to go late in the round as to not get exploded by bandit guards, move in, and see if I can finish anyone off.

Is there a way to denote elite vs normal in TTS? I don't see a differentiation on the current map.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Ah, that makes sense. Does TTS have a good display of monster stats? I don't think it will have an impact on my turn 1, but it could be useful in future rounds.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, you'll have to pry Frigid Apparition from my cold dead rat hands.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, one of the biggest issues people have in scenario 1 is they immediately move up and engage 6 guards only to be swarmed and severely punished. A very important tactic to learn is to use your knowledge of enemy threat ranges to avoid damage. Since enemy cards flip before you take your turn, you can determine what the monster's turns will look like and play accordingly.

For starting hexes, I would like to start in one of the "back" hexes, i3 or i5, and I think we should huddle up on one side of the starting area to minimize the number of guards that can reach us if they draw a move +0 or move-1, so hexes g3/i3/h2 or g5/i5/h6.

If it starts to get troublesome with player turns, I would be okay as a volunteer being held to two responses a day: the first being cards+initiative, and second being my turn. Honestly, I'll probably have my next turn cards already in mind when I take my current turn, so I could provide both of them at the same time.

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 21, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

I want to be in the back hex that the Mindthief isn't in.

Oo, i3 + h4 + i5 would be a good 3-man starting position, unless the guards get a Move +1 only 4 of them will be withing range.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you didn't know, the Bandit Guards were set to level 0.

Also, in the spreadsheet I only see 9 cards for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 22, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Level 0 works fine with me.

My initial plan is to go quickly and finish off bandit 6 while stunning either bandit 2 or 5.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 22, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I imagine he just picked a character at random? It doesn't looks like we're able to spread them out.

Would you be opposed to throwing the rocks at the guards we're not currently engaged with, and seeing if the Brute can finish them off?

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 22, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If we're all good with card selection, do we want to try and clear 2 rounds today?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Sorry to muck things up even more, but my Perverse Edge ranged attack did not benefit from The Mind's Weakness because it was a ranged attack, even if done adjacent. Bandit 2 should still be alive, but they were stunned.

EDIT: Oh, sorry I see you already addressed this.

Do you guys want to spend this round finishing bandit 1 and looting, and next round I'll open the door and go invisible?

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 23, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

That's my exact plan. I'm priming to kill the guard and pick up some coins.

:psyduck: How were you planning to go on Init 10? How were you playing three cards? I'm so confused.

I think it's just a misunderstanding of the rules.

You select your 2 cards and your initiative before you know what your partners are doing.

I'm also to going to try and kill the guard, but Nulls are a thing so no reason to not both have a way of finishing them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
During table talk are we allowed to say what hex we plan on moving to, or would that be revealing a number since it would indicate a minimum move value we're playing?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Okay, I am moving as fast as I can to hex E3 and attacking the bandit. If it doesn't die, it will at least be Stunned.

I think the more specific we can be about our turns, the less uncertainty or contingencies we will need to build in to our plans we send in.

Reik fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 23, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Of course you are.

I'm confused, is there something else I should be doing?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I don't mind moving over to hex C5 instead, I'll just have to go a little slower if I do. Would you prefer that?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Corbeau posted:

Take the money.

Either way I'd be taking money, it's just a matter of initiative.

EDIT: How much extra work would it be to take a screenshot of the board at the end of every initiative? It would be cool to see how the round resolves.

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 23, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's something that you get used to when you play with people who all have low initiative cards.

I would absolutely appreciate it if you went to another hex, but it's not necessary.

I'll go to C5, guards are pretty slow IIRC. That will also get me one hex closer to the door and make my next turn a little more flexible. If you two want to go a bit later in the round one of you can pick up the coin token I'm most likely going to convert him in to.

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 23, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I thought the bandit guard spawned in L4 in that room?

Bullwinkle still has enough movement to reach him and whack him with Balanced Measures, he would just be in hex N4 instead of O3.

With the cards I have left, I can't reach of any of the archers, and I feel like Bullwinkle put enough hurt on the bandit guard that he'll go down this turn without me. If it's cool with you guys I'll grab the remaining loot in this room and move in to set up for next round. Bullwinkle might want to get the killing blow on the guard for his Trophy collection?

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 24, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

No, see this is something they have changed in the third edition...

:doh: screenshots and position have been fixed, thanks!

Haha, it's no problem; I'm the person in our group that sets up the scenario and does all the monster AI. It's a ton of work.

I'm a bit confused as to why our Brute lost a card to negate an attack, but is at 7hp.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 24, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Okay, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a function of a guard attacking that was later determined to have been deceased at the time or something along those lines.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, this was the second round that I went after 15, with the first being the initial round. I figured if they did shield retaliate on round 1 I could heal the 2 with empathetic assault on the next turn, and I was pretty sure I would kill this guy with an attack 5 this round, avoiding retaliate that way.

If anyone following along has any questions about my card selection, I'm more than happy to go over my choices.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 24, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The furthest I can move in this round is on the door hex, does that interfere with anyone?

Also, if possible if we can stay close to the door to draw the archers towards us that would help as my only real move for round 5 is a move 3 from Scurry.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I was going to heal myself this turn, if that would affect your card selection.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Nevermind on the short rest.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 27, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Brute, did you want to get the kill credit for the bandit guard for your personal quest?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Okay, I'll start to go for the archers then, the short rest is back on, please.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Sorry, actually I misunderstood what you said. With the Bandit disarmed my plan was to engage the Archers in the back since I have a tool I can use to "disarm" the two traps back there and deal a fair amount of damage at the same time.

No problem. Since the bandit went after you did last round, his disarm has already worn off, so he will be able to attack this turn. If you want, I can try and finish off the bandit guard and free you up to go after the archers.

SalTheBard posted:

Quick rules question:

If I have a card that is Move 4 / Push 1 can I move 3, push, move 1 or do I have to take all the "move" at once?

All at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Christ, this is so much harder for me to envision spatially in my head without the actual board in front of me.

You could draw a rough copy of the current board state. I assume you have some kind of minis around you could use?