Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
2017 Thread
2018 Thread

RIP stock market. RIP net worth for those of you that have that as a goal. If you are using a 401(k), Roth IRA and/or an HSA account, don't forget that the 2019 limits have increased!

Some of mine are the same as last year:

1) Max out Roth IRA contributions of $6,000
2) Max out HSA contributions of $3,500
3) Continue to max out 401(k) contributions of $19,000

New goals for this year:
4) Take girlfriend to Africa. Gonna burn some points/miles so this shouldn't be too expensive
5) Sell motorcycle and apply to car loan balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
2019!

With a tenant in the basement, a roof covered in solar panels and a massive increase in the wife's salary, 2019 should be a good year where 2018 was meh

Goals:
*Keep putting $50/month/child in index funds
*Find $50/month in expences that I can put in personal savings instead
*Sell car -We don't really need it and it costs $200 per month just sitting in the driveway due to taxes and insurance
*Do a good - Wife got an amazing new job with massive raise, but that means that I'll be on 100% parental leave from March. Going to hang out with newly arrived immigrant parents and talk Swedish with them.
*Do some carpentry just for fun
*Keep up the biking/running
*Keep investing
*Reduce mortgage by $10k
More to come I think.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 31, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Another year in the books, it's been a very, very good 12 months for us.

Current Liabilities -
- Student loans all at usurious rates, but ALL eligible for forgiveness through public service and qualifying payments.
- Approximately 26 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. I think we're going to sell at or around month 48.
- Two car loans.
- Some tax liability from a crypto sale last year (when BTC was worth three times what it is now, good thing I sold into USD and not moon coins).

Current Assets -
- Home assessed at $280.
- Retirement savings.
- Emergency fund and advanced budgeted spending on-hand.

Net worth -
- We are positive!

By end of Q1:
- Fund an investment into my friend's private company.
- Re-certify wife and myself for PSLF.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives!
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days (my next promotion) by July 1.

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded.
- House downpayment fund to $120,000.

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, uncertain of the timeline.

Personal Goals
- One muscle up
- Thirty (30) new books read
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine
- Cook 72 meals
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual)
- Coparenting goals regarding night time feeding with coparent.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
2018 went pretty well. Maxed all our tax-advantaged retirement accounts for a savings rate of ~50-60%. Will aim to do the same this year.

2019 Goals:

Finance:
1. Max 457 will be on autopilot
2. Max Roth IRA will be done on 1/2
3. Max Wife's Roth IRA will be done on 1/2
4. Max 403b will be done on autopilot (maybe even partially Roth 403b depending on whether certain income streams pan out)

Personal:
5. Make use of Southwest companion pass and take a vacation (eyeing Utah national parks + Vegas)
6. Learn webdev for fun (also possible develop to side hustle?)
7. Maybe have a wedding? We had a quick city hall civil ceremony last year. We've been meaning to have an actual wedding party for our friends, but ball has not even begun rolling on it.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 20, 2018

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Hello goals thread! After having a great 2018 getting fully out of debt I'm graduating from incremental improvements to here :)

EOY 2018
- ZERO Debt, paid off credit cards and student loan, no car or mortgage, paying towards my girlfriend's mortgage with very mate's rates rent
- Upped pension to 10.5% of pretax salary with my employer adding 7%-and-a-bit on top
- 3 month emergency fund in a liquid account earning 2.25% interest (it's technically a Help-to-Buy Cash ISA as I don't own any property)
- Started to build a short term savings fund for Nice Things
- £75k net worth (still just about made it no thanks to the market), most of which is tucked away in pensions at age 31 and 11/12ths

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
EOY 2019:
-Student loans down from $17k to $8k. I already brought it down from 28k to 17k in the previous year.
-Somehow go from 35k salary to maybe 45k-50k. This will sure as hell require a job change.
-Should an economic miracle occur with a better job, pay down my student loans even further.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

-Don't get laid off
-Max IRA
-Max 401k

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
2019 goals woo!

-Max Roth IRA again
-Max 401k
-Shoot for 6 figures in gross pay +/- 3%
-Save at least $20k toward savings goals, stretch goal of $35k depending on bonus and raise

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
- Max 401k
- Max Roth IRA
- I-bonds in May (hopefully another fixed rate increase)
- Finish off Platinum Honors status at BOA

Just making it through another year.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

What happened in 2018:
- Maxed 401k and wife's 403b
- Maxed both IRAs
- Got a raise from $100k to $106k at mid-year and got promoted to mid-level
- Got a raise from $106k to $110k at year-end
- Year-end bonus of ~$13k
- Saved roughly $35k for my house down payment
- drat near broke $200k net worth
- Basically crushed all of our financial goals
- Put down my plans for a board game to work on a video game instead
- Spent about $48k in total expenses, excluding pay deductions, which accounted for an additional $5.7k

Assets:
- ~$120k in retirement accounts
- $16k for 4 month e-fund
- $45k in down payment savings
- $9k in checking that'll largely become maxed IRAs on Jan 2

Liabilities:
- ~$3k in revolving CC debt

2019 plan:
- Max 401k and 403b
- Max both IRAs
- Ensure I get my mid-year raise up to $115k
- Break $250k net worth (our net worth is still closely related enough to our earnings/savings that this is an achievable goal despite market conditions)
- Get up to ~$100k in overall liquid cash in preparation for a house purchase in 2020
- Help wife leave her hellish job that she's still at for some reason
- See if we can reduce our annual expenses a bit, or at least keep the number below $50k again

Non-finance:
- Learn Clojure to provide an exit path from my current company if I need it
- Keep working on that Metroidvania that I literally have a team I'm working on it with
- Go to either Maine or the Grand Canyon

These numbers are such nonsense. 5 years ago I was basically just a 26 year old teenager trying to scrape it together. Now I'm professionally established and wildly successful in comparison to the greater majority of my cohort. I'm on a rocket into financial space, where the moon is made of US treasury notes and the stars are made of blue-chip dividend-paying equities. How did this happen? Who is this person controlling my body?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
make more income

save more income

max 401ks and IRA

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
2019 goal: think about my personal finances without spiraling into overwhelming despair.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

2018 was.....bad. Stupidly leased a car, put down a deposit on a new construction home, and now need to replace some savings. The worst is that at the end of the year, it feels my job situation is not great. That will be my number one priority starting ASAP. I won't be as aggressive with my debt payments as I could be, as I want to continue rebuilding savings and add more to our emergency fund (4 months currently) just in case. IF my position is eliminated OR we don't feel comfortable, we will walk away from the house. Even if we can't get our deposit back, I'd rather that than be saddled with a mortgage with only one of us working.

2019 Goals
1. Stabilize employment
2. Rebuild savings to $15k
3. Pay down final student loan to $7500

That's going to be it. My stretch goal is to avoid any additional lines of credit and to reign in spending on the house if we move forward.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

2018 was a good year for me to sock away money for savings and investments. A shame about the stock market performance at the latter part of the year but it's not going to change my goals one bit. So here they are:

1) Put away at least 30% of my gross income in savings and investments
2) Max out my 401k
3) Max out my Roth IRA
4) Max out my HSA
5) Acquire no new non-emergency debt

My current net worth, even with the stock market hit is $265,000. A stretch goal would be seeing it increase to $333,333.33 by the end of 2019, which would be feasible even if the stock market only partially bounces back.

How I intend on making this work:

1) Minimize expenses. Go back to my college way of thinking, "Am I still going to use this six months from now?"
2) No new impulse book purchases. I have a backlog of over 50 large books I bought on my Kindle.
3) No new video game purchases. I have over 30 Switch games that I haven't even taken the shrink wrap off of.
4) Dine out only once a month. Make it meaningful by going to some place I really enjoy going to or some place I haven't tried before.
5) Instead of flying to another country for a vacation, visit local landmarks, parks, trails, etc. Get to know where I live better.

I think this is all reasonable and feasible, I'd say.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Unamuno posted:

2019 goal: think about my personal finances without spiraling into overwhelming despair.
Post about it, we will cheer you on and do lots of the thinking for you.

2018 was a weird year for me, not working is weird. I actually ended up getting two part time jobs doing tutoring and financial planning since I realized I missed being in a work environment, at least some of the time. And I am just not cut out to be a stay at home mom, thank god my husband is better with kids than I am. It's so nice to be in a nice office with nice people where I can drink tea that is actually hot and work on interesting projects without having someone scream MAMAMAMAMAMAMA in my ear every two minutes.

I guess I'm in the enviable position of not having to work for money anymore, and figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my life. I hate the "mom identity" and I want more but I'm not sure what that is. So lots of my goals are kinda mushy personal goals and less numbers related.

2019 Goals:
- Organize my little office space and get a better to-do system implemented (by January)
- Read/edit my friend's novel (January)
- Volunteer with VITA to see if I like doing tax prep (Jan-April)
- Get a raised bed garden going (Feb->summer)
- Decide whether or not to shoot for CFP certification (by April)
- Decide whether or not to keep tutoring (by end of school year, May)
- Actually throw myself a nice birthday party dinner (June)
- Host craft parties with friends for holidays (Valentines, Mothers day, Fathers day, Summer party, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas)
- Finish my regency novel that I'm writing for funsies (by November, to publish and give as christmas presents to the moms)
- Be able to consistently do the NYT friday and saturday crosswords (by December, by god)

Recurring:
- Take a couple online data science/machine learning classes to see if I like doing that
- Work a max of 20 hours a week
- Wake up early to do art at least 2x/week
- Keep dancing at least 3x/week
- Maybe start teaching dance? I dunno, people have been telling me I should get back into that. I love it a lot but will I hate it if it's work?
- Go to some meetups with unschoolers/homeschoolers now that kiddo is older

Whew, thanks BFC, it felt good to write all that out.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
2018 was a good year financially for me. Paid off my student loans, got a decent raise, and started serious savings for retirement. I'm nowhere near the level some of you guys are at, but that's ok.

2019 Goals:
1) Max Roth IRA
2) Up 401k from 10% to at least 13%. Stretch is 15% but we'll see what kind of raise I get this year.
3) Get Emergency fund to $12,500
4) Get house down payment fund to $5000
5) Get car down payment fund to $3000 (Not planning on getting a car for a few years yet, but good to start saving early)
6) Keep fast food spending under $175 for the year (Currently at $228 for 2018, obviously not breaking the bank, still something to strive for).
7) Continue no revolving credit card debt.

I might have my work cut out for me since I'm having some really dumb issues with my health insurance saying they are balance billing me on a bunch of physical therapy I've had, and I might end up paying a bit of money for that if things don't get sorted out. Luckily I have a bunch of money saved for medical expenses, but it would still set me back and is a huge pain in the rear end and I'm fighting it.

We also are wanting to move into a new apartment. We have pretty cheap rent, relatively speaking, but we're sick of our place and it's too small, and we've had to call the cops on the downstairs neighbors a few times for loud screaming matches. Unfortunately, the cost of living here is going through the roof and places that are a similar square footage with slight improvements on appliances and design are several hundreds more a month.

Non-financial goals:
1) Read 1 book a month (lol).
2) Get down to 150 pounds. I think this is where I started 2018, and my goal was to get to 143, but that didn't happen. Currently sitting at 160 as of this morning.
3) Just like last year, go on a tropical vacation somewhere. Didn't happen last year, but some CC rewards are likely to make it happen this year.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

In 2018, I:

Raised my net worth by 27k
Saved 12k more for a house
Added 2k more to my emergency fund
Contributed 2.6k to my Roth IRA
Paid 3k for college out of pocket
Lost 16 pounds

In 2019, I want to:

Raise net worth from 134k to 164k.
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k.
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k.
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA.
Lose 8 pounds.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Non-financial goals:
1) Read 1 book a month (lol).
2) Get down to 150 pounds. I think this is where I started 2018, and my goal was to get to 143, but that didn't happen. Currently sitting at 160 as of this morning.
3) Just like last year, go on a tropical vacation somewhere. Didn't happen last year, but some CC rewards are likely to make it happen this year.
I'll hold you to these goals. What book are you reading for January? Nonfiction?
Are you part of a gym? How are you dieting? A pound a month is totally doable.
Which spots are you looking at for vacation?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

moana posted:

I'll hold you to these goals. What book are you reading for January? Nonfiction?
Are you part of a gym? How are you dieting? A pound a month is totally doable.
Which spots are you looking at for vacation?

Haven't decided on any book yet. Probably nonfiction. Would love to be able to read more fiction, but I have real trouble focusing when reading. I'd previously been diagnosed with ADD in my early twenties and was on medication for it, but my current physician isn't too keen on prescribing stimulants (plus it's something I'd been off for nearly a decade now so I can clearly function without them). We're about to jet off to Spokane for a week to see my GF's family, and we usually end up spending time at cafe/book stores so I'll probably keep my eye open for something there.

I have a planet fitness membership. I used to run pretty regularly and did several half marathons, but I've been having knee issues the last few years, hence the PT. I used to use the gym membership exclusively for the treadmill in the winter, but I need to go and use the elliptical for some kind of cardio.

I'm a vegetarian, but I do snack a bit more frequently than I should. Especially processed things. We also love to bake and I have a huge sweet tooth. My goal is to cut down on the snacking, and if I cant, to at least replace the snacks with healthier options.

I got the Alaska Airlines card, and hit the spend target for 30,000 miles and the free (+ taxes) companion fare, so were looking at going to Costa Rica.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Last year was good. Even with some market challenges we ended up about +70K in net worth. This year's goals:

Overall net worth +67K including:
Max IRAs 12K
Max my 401K 19K
Housing downpayment fund +36K

Don't take on any debt for wife's grad school
Move for the summer for wife internship, cover all these costs with her pay

Non-financial (or deleterious to overall financial picture):
Ski at least 8 days
Go on one major non-skiing vacation

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
2018 went poorly for me, both personally and by that extension financially. But 2019 should be looking up in that regard. So for 2019 I'm looking to:

Financial
Pay off all CC debt (Currently $4k should be done by February)
Max out 401k contribution (Currently only was able to put in 70% of max this year)
Have at least $1k in my HSA (Currently 0, just opened for 2019)
Re-Establish e-fund/savings to a minimum of $10k (Currently a zero, might be a stretch depending on the above)

Personal
Rejoin the cycle club and get out on my bike at least once a week (weather permitting)
Get back to a 4 plate squat and 5 plate DL without going over 20% bf
Use my vacation time to take long weekends and travel to other cites just to get away from NYC (doable without ruining financial goals since I have lots of CC points)
Be OK with living alone again and probably never seeing my puppy again

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

2018 went poorly for me, both personally and by that extension financially
Be OK with living alone again and probably never seeing my puppy again

Oof. God drat. Best wishes for a better 2019.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Oof. God drat. Best wishes for a better 2019.

This. May 2019 be much better for you!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Thanks. I'm convinced it will be better.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Haven't decided on any book yet. Probably nonfiction.

I have a planet fitness membership. I used to run pretty regularly and did several half marathons, but I've been having knee issues the last few years, hence the PT. I used to use the gym membership exclusively for the treadmill in the winter, but I need to go and use the elliptical for some kind of cardio.

I got the Alaska Airlines card, and hit the spend target for 30,000 miles and the free (+ taxes) companion fare, so were looking at going to Costa Rica.
Ooh, sucks about the knee. That's so hard when you have to lose weight almost entirely through diet.

The Alaska card is great, isn't it? Costa Rica is super fun, and super cheap once you get there. A friend of mine just got back from Puerto Vallarta, and she raved about how warm it was and the snorkeling.

Some good nonfiction I've read recently: I'm in the middle of Tribe, about modern alienation in society and the breakdown of communal ties in peacetime developed countries. It's really interesting and a very quick read, <200 pages so it would be a good start. If you like historical fiction, my favorite one to recommend is The Devil in the White City which is about architecture and a serial killer at the Chicago 1893 World's Fair. After that, I went and read everything by Erik Larsen, he's so fun.

I also really enjoyed listening to Quiet as an audiobook, it's a book about introversion. And Caffeinated was another fun quick read, about the history of caffeine. That's a good book if you want lots of interesting facts to bring up with your friends over a cup of coffee :) Let me know what book you end up finding and if you like it!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

make more income

save more income

max 401ks and IRA

Somehow supplement my income. Probably with poker. But that requires another set of budgeting for bankroll management.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

2018 was good. 2019 will be better:
  • Save 51% of my gross pay between IRA, 401k, HSA, and taxable accounts.
  • Get a raise at work
In 2018 I saved 42% of my gross, so 51% is a bit of a stretch, but I think I can make it happen. When my annual review happens in March-July-ish, I will be asking for a raise too. I've been at the company for less than a year, so I don't know if they do CoL raises, but I don't expect I will find out without asking.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 30, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

2019 plan:
- See if we can reduce our annual expenses a bit, or at least keep the number below $50k again
So in crunching our spending numbers from this last year, I discovered that due to pre-paying our first year of rent and not having a bunch of one-off expenses, our spending is automatically going to be at least $8k lower in 2019 if we change nothing else about our spending.

I'm gonna buy a Switch lmao.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

+ Wife got new job that pays the same but is much better in every other regard
+ Started using YNAB
+ Switched my TSP to Roth and upped the contribution

+- Spent $12k on new deck
+- Took a two-week West Coast trip oops that was actually in 2017

- unexpected $3k cat surgery last month
- didn't cut down on our dining out habit
- way too much impulsive random spending
- still eating out for lunch every day at work

Bottom line, we're saving for retirement and have a decent amount of cash available so we're never struggling but we could be saving a lot more cash if we tried even a little bit.

2019 goals

Keep using YNAB in order to track spending and savings goals

Increase TSP contribution by whatever my pay increase is

Actually open a dang online savings account finally

Get my house reappraised and PMI removed

Keep dining out expenses to $350 a month (lol)

pack my work lunch

save more cash

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 31, 2018

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Second year of the Financial Goals thread, hoping for a good one.

State of the Union January 2019
-Married, no kids
-Two professional incomes
-Student loans for both. Hope to retire mine in 2020 and hers will be partially forgiven through programs.
-Own house and three rental units, hope to add one or two rental properties this year.
-Maxed 2018 401k/401k/IRAs
-Same boring US/intl/bond portfolio, hoping to spice this up a bit with some private equity real estate investments this year

2019 Financial Goals:
1. Hit $550k household income, stretch goal $600k. Income defined as active professional income exclusive of rental income, loan repayment checks, and passive sources such as investment dividends, and will include settlement payments (because this was earned income last year).
2. Hit $40k in net rental income through real estate company
3. Be disciplined about keeping $50k in high yield savings
4. Try again on 75% of post tax take home to debt reduction, savings, or investments
5. Debt reduction strategy dictated by loan interest and tax considerations, will divide monthly savings after mortgages and car payments between student loan and cash investments at present
6. Max 401k, profit sharing, HSA, wife's 401k, and wife's 457b
7. Max backdoor Roth IRAs
8. Add one or two rental properties
9. Make one or two private equity real estate investments
10. Attempt to do less than $10k in non-expensed or non-points travel
11. Keep eyes open for new/interesting credit card sign up bonuses
12. Use 0% APR periods to advantage
13. Try to keep up with some professional side hustles, perhaps set a $10k goal
14. Finally make an appointment with my lawyer for estate planning, really for real this time
15. Figure out a number and organized plan for charitable donations. Have established a charitable fund which now needs the funds part.

2019 Non-Financial Goals:
16. Continue to maintain working out 6 days a week.
17. Run two races with actual 12+ week training plans.
18. Lose 10 lbs.
19. Keep up with friends and make new friends in the neighborhood.
20. Do at least one fun splurge meal each trip while traveling. Suggestions in LA and Paris anyone?
21. Sleep more
22. Crank hard and impress at work, make partner Sept 2019 or sooner
23. Take out really large life insurance policy with guillotine rider

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 1, 2019

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011
My 2019 goals are:

1. Max out Roth IRA.

2. Try to max out 457 account (currently contributing 1k per month - I'm hoping to be able to increase the monthly contribution soon).

3. Promote to the next job level in my career path - would be a 6.5k raise from 71k to 77.5k, and hopefully a better working environment (my workplace mentor is urging me towards promoting up into a position in his division - I feel confident about my chances but the competition is going to be quite fierce).

4. Move in with my gf (not strictly a financial move, but when we can split rent and other bills, it'll improve both of our financial lives).

5. Maintain or improve my current savings rate of 40% of gross income.

6. Increase emergency fund to 10k.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
1. Pay off student loans: 125k

2. Increase 529 to 600/child/month

3. Everything else basically on autopilot. Goal gross savings/debt payoff rate of 50%.

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 16, 2019

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Previously, in the last Financial Goals thread

balancedbias posted:

End O' Year Update!

2018 Goals that are on Autopilot:
1-Max out retirement plans (I'm just going to lump these together because at this point that's how it feels) DONE
2-Max the HSA DONE
3-Maintain 529 contributions DONE
4-Keep current car to the "breaking point" Still going strong

BIG HARIY AUDACIOUS GOALS TIME!!!
5-Buy at least one rental property, preferably small multifamily (aka 2-4 units) Got the funds, looking at a couple of deals, but won't close by the end of the year
6-Dedicate 10 hours/month to side hustle with best friend Slight cash flow negative, but it's a hobby. Having a few people shout us out on Twitter is pretty cool though
7-NON FINANCIAL: Dedicate an average of 1 hour/day to exercise last quarter was a bit weak, but not abandoned
8-NON-FINANCIAL: Read an average of at least 1 book per month (superstretch: 1 per week)didn't quite make superstretch

So, 2019 has a few new wrinkles:

-I got a raise! That hasn't happened in 5 years! It's substantial enough that I don't expect it to happen or another long period of time, so I'll ride the endorphins for now.
-I have a shot at a value-based bonus (which given my pattern, I won't get much, but hey it's something to shoot for!)
-My mother's health is deteriorating due to dementia, and at some point, we'll have to deal with my family on that front. Not fun.
-My daughter is getting old enough to appreciate the basics of finance, and I want her to start on solid ground.
-We're actually filling in slots at work, so my work-life balance has the potential to be much better from now on.

Enough of the E/N, here's the goals in no particular order!

1. Max out Retirement plans (limit raises :woop:)

2. Max the HSA

3. Maintain 529 contributions

4. Keep current car as long as possible, but set aside "next car" fund. If I can get decent used, thinking 15k. Otherwise it's 25k new. 0% financing would be awesome. Ideally, I'd like to keep my current vehicle until it hits 300k miles, but I know that's not a guarantee.

5. *Mixed goal* end of life planning for my mother, transition planning for my father, navigating a family cold war, and the finances behind all of this. My dad wants to relocate when mom dies, but he's guarded about how he'd get that done.

6. Continue building our real estate portfolio

7. Read at least 1 book per week (and one family/child related finance activity per quarter)

8.Continue to work out at least 1 hour per day

9.Create an actual "date night" schedule with my spouse

10. Back to basics: use a physical planner and calendar system along with task list to hold ourselves accountable.

11. Hobby/side hustle goals including download number, number of guests, sponsors, and blog posts (not set on values because I have to discuss it with my friend)

balancedbias fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 27, 2019

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
- Maxed 401k
- Maxed IRA
- Put a little under average of $2k per month in a new brokerage fund at Vanguard
- Saved too much money in cash I'm moving around now
- Upgraded my 4 year old MacbookPro (finally..)
- Upgraded my 4 year old PC
- :siren: Got a new job that is a very positive switch so far :siren:

The end of 2018 threw a curveball at me with my grandmother passing. My grandparents were very wise with their money and just wanted their grandchildren to have to worry less about money given that they saw how difficult things were in this day and age, so I'm thinking about the safest way to invest the money that they worked hard for that has sentimental value. My thought so far is to just put this in a new high interest savings account and have it be my emergency nest egg fund, and slowly move my other savings account to my Vanguard brokerage fund.

* Figure out where to put CDs from my grandparent's :smith:
* Figure out what to do with grandparent's home :smith:
- Max 401k
- Take a vacation somewhere in the back-half of the year after 3 weddings in the front half
- Build myself a Frankenstein electronic drum set, a hobby I miss dearly and want to pick up again
- $1k to my brokerage account - this is auto-deducted at this point

Beyond that, I'm not sure what my goals are. "Save a lot" is never a bad thing but I should also probably try to enjoy life more.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Financial accomplishments for 2018:
- No debt at any point during the year
- Maxed backdoor Roth IRA
- Maxed employee contributions to a 403b, got a match of about 7,000
- Maxed HSA
- Invested 147,000 in a taxable brokerage, bringing my taxable investment purchase total to $430,000
- Saw a decline in the value of said taxable brokerage of about 50,000 :ohno:
- Tax-loss harvested it, so I'm set for the next ~16 years on that

Goals for 2019:
:thermidor:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

2019 Goals
- Have 1.5 years deductable in HSA
- Setup Self-Directed 401(k) -or- max Roth and Traditional IRA contributions.
- Formalize savings plan for big purchase items
- Increase "Rainy Day" fund by 5%
- Stop F5ing the market

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My new 2019 BFC goal is to guillotine BEHOLD: MY CAPE

Stretch goal: get that Roth going :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My new 2019 BFC goal is to guillotine BEHOLD: MY CAPE

Stretch goal: get that Roth going :)
What kind of poker you playing?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2018 goals report:
  • Maxed Roth IRAs
  • Met company match for 401k and HSA
  • 50/month in kids' 529s
  • Bought a new minivan with mostly cash and paid it off within 3 months
  • Received 6 weeks mostly-not-working paternity (which is 6 more weeks than my company normally gives to dads)
  • Didn't do any personal goals that I wanted to do. Having a second kid was a bigger change than anticipated

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

2019 goals time! Shooting for a perfect 10/10 this year (last year was only 4/10 with a couple of near-misses: 4/8 main goals, 0/2 stretch goals)

2019 Goals

1. Spend less than $3,000 total between restaurants and bar expenses in 2019.
- This probably sounds like a laughable goal to most of you, but here's my last three years:
2016: $5007.99
2017: $5458.24
2018: $6259.61 (almost all of which was restaurants, less than $100 was bars/alcohol)
...so yeah. Finally have my own house, and my own kitchen, and have been making meals for the last three weeks or so at a pretty good pace. I'll be on-track here spending $250 or less per month. Q1 is going to be critical here creating good habits that I can stick to.

2. Remain free of consumer debt in 2019.
- Keep the credit card at a zero balance, don't go buy a new car, don't open any new liability accounts with anybody anywhere. Met this in 2018, shooting for a repeat.

3. Max out my Roth IRA contribution in 2019.
- Looks like the maximum this year is $6,000, so will need to contribute an average of $500 per month. The plan is to increase the monthly automatic deduction to $200 per month for now and set the remaining $300 per month aside in my bank for payment at the end of the year (I want to have additional funds liquid just in case as this is my first year of home ownership).

4. Get to and maintain a weight of no more than 170 pounds, and a body fat percentage of 18% or less, by December 31, 2019.
- A repeat goal from 2018 and 2017 and 2016. To avoid repeating the failure, I'm going to come up with a workout and meal plan targeted at hitting these numbers, while leaning hard on staying away from restaurants (goal #1) and eating healthy when I do occasionally go out. I'm likely going to need some help via You Look Like poo poo and/or The Fitness Log Cabin for this. More details to come by the end of January on this.

5. Increase officiating income to $4,000 in 2019.
- Came close to hitting this in 2018 ($3553.77). Some of this isn't in my control- I can only work the games I'm assigned and we had a lot of new officials last year which spread the assignments around some. However, if I work every weekend and make myself available as much as possible (which requires me to be in great shape, see goal #4) then hitting $4K should be possible. I also might (MIGHT) look at picking up a second sport to officiate, but really want to focus on football. I worked a state semifinal game in 2018, and would love to get a state final in 2019.

6. Increase overall income to $100,000 in 2019.
- Last year my boss and I discussed my compensation and while I received a nice raise over the job I had for the first half of the year, we decided to circle back in January 2019 with a plan to get me to $100,000 in 2019. The above goal requires that a) we have that conversation this month, and then b) I follow through with what's needed to accomplish this. I'll update the goal with specifics once I have them.

7. Buy an engagement ring, propose to my girlfriend, and plan for a (reasonably cheap) wedding in late 2019 or 2020.
- Pretty self-explanatory. It's time to settle down and make things official. :)

8. Increase emergency fund to $15,000 or more in 2019.
- I want to make sure I have enough in my emergency fund to survive something massive happening with the house, or a sudden job change. My $1,000 emergency fund was sufficient previously while I was paying off debt, but now that I have a house, it's time to increase this.

2019 Stretch Goals

9. Decrease mortgage to 80% or less of the value of my house, and refinance loan to get rid of PMI.
- This would be a very ambitious goal and would likely require goals #1, 2, 5, and certainly 6 to happen, while also requiring the house to increase in value by a fair amount. However, I'm going to shoot for it because it will get us out of our comfort zone and looking at every expense in terms of our stretch goal.

10. Pick up a new sport I've never competitively played before and get (semi?) good at it.
- I never got to play competitive sports much as a kid, so I'm making up for lost time. Have played softball for years now and have been approached about joining a 35-and-older baseball team (never played baseball at all, so I'm counting this as a possibility even though they are similar sports; particularly because they want me to pitch, and although I've done that for slow-pitch softball, this definitely is not that). Other options I'm looking at- snowboarding, golf, or maybe volleyball?