Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic posted:

By Feb:
- save up 400$ for bonsai auction and keep first CC balance zeroed, If that card has a balance no auction allowed. Balance transfers to my other card are not allowed.

Done, balance is zero and I saved up $530, auction is next week. Also want to quit my job, last time my financials exploded was because I hung on too long and ended up fired instead of leaving on my terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Somehow missed these threads before, let's try this out.

Current State
- $360k in student loans, eligible for PSLF in 4-5 years
- 9 months into 15-year mortgage
- Maxed out 403b for me and the wife, only $3k to Roth IRAs last year due to laziness/poor budgeting
- $15k to 529 for kid#1, + gifts from grandparents
- Net worth just north of 0
- Kid #2 born end of January

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out our 403b and backdoor Roth IRAs
- Contribute $700/mo each to our 457s
- Roll over old 403b accounts into current one
- Get current 403b provider to add a low cost total bond market fund
- Open 529 for kid #2, save $1k/mo per kid to each 529, maybe consider splitting between 529 and UGMA account for more flexibility
- Save $1k/mo for house maintenance/repairs
- Save $1k/mo for planned car purchase/house remodeling in 5ish years
- Maintain 3 months expenses in HYSA
- Annual recertification of PSLF in August/Sept
- Revise estate documents to include kid #2
- No new debt
- Furnish dining room

Personal Goals
- Implement financial literacy curriculum for medical trainees
- Publish one 1st author paper or similar
- Get more protected time for teaching
- Schedule a regular date night with wife, probably some time after maternity leave
- Get back into doing squats and deadlifts, avoid throwing out back for the 6th time

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I actually have financial goals that aren't just "please don't overdraft" for a change. I'm not necessarily happy with the way it happened but my mom's passing presses the big ol reset button on a lot of things. :smith:

Financial Goals for 2019:
Create a solid emergency fund
Pay off as many bills as possible
Start looking into Roth\long term investment since my job 401k has no matching.
Continue adding to my son's savings account for college.

Personal Goals:
Lose weight. I'm tired of being a fat rear end and losing my last parent puts the fear of death into me.
Enjoy having less stress and anxiety about our financial spot as a family. :unsmith:

Writing all that out feels a bit sad but good too. I'd trade almost anything to get my mom back but she'd want me to not stress any more.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Chu020 posted:

Current State
- 9 months into 15-year mortgage
- Maxed out 403b for me and the wife, only $3k to Roth IRAs last year due to laziness/poor budgeting
- $15k to 529 for kid#1, + gifts from grandparents
- Net worth just north of 0
- Kid #2 born end of January

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out our 403b and backdoor Roth IRAs
- Contribute $700/mo each to our 457s
- Roll over old 403b accounts into current one
- Get current 403b provider to add a low cost total bond market fund
- Open 529 for kid #2, save $1k/mo per kid to each 529, maybe consider splitting between 529 and UGMA account for more flexibility
- Save $1k/mo for house maintenance/repairs
- Save $1k/mo for planned car purchase/house remodeling in 5ish years
- Maintain 3 months expenses in HYSA
- Revise estate documents to include kid #2
- No new debt
- Furnish dining room

Personal Goals
- Implement financial literacy curriculum for medical trainees
- Publish one 1st author paper or similar
- Get more protected time for teaching
- Schedule a regular date night with wife, probably some time after maternity leave
- Get back into doing squats and deadlifts, avoid throwing out back for the 6th time

What is your job and income.

You have a bunch of data on that post that’s doing stuff.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’m still poor with 5% contribution to retirement and basically have seen no growth to my bank account because of random one-off expenses and general income vs cost of living.

Literally loling at the concept of people in this thread being able to just save multiple thousands of dollars a month to half a dozen projects.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My new 2019 BFC goal is to guillotine BEHOLD: MY CAPE

Stretch goal: get that Roth going :)

Still working on this too, my friends

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Chu020 posted:

Current State

Are you sure that's true? There's been a bunch of news pieces lately about how people think they're eligible and then find out they consolidated their loans wrong or whatever and have to start the 10 year period all over again.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
>Reddit Personal Finance>> My essential oil heiress is divorcing me. Should I hire a lawyer to dispute horse custody?

We met that night beneath a cloudless sky, the moon shining bright overhead. Her eyes glittered like diamonds in the dim light. Her perfect veneers also glittered like diamonds. Perhaps they were; her father was wealthy enough that I couldn't discount the possibility. Skylar Jennyveeve Bentsworth, a third-generation doTerra guru, was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and the spirit of serial entrepreneurship in her veins. She'd been riding since before she was even old enough to reach the stirrups of her detoothed shetland, Goldie. "Someday," her father always ended each riding lesson, "you'll get to ride on the big horse. Just you wait 'till you get to Diamond."

"Isn't he beautiful?" she asked me, stroking Diamond's mane with one hand as she massaged lavender-biloba oil into its neck with the other.

"Yes... beautiful," I whispered breathlessly. Truthfully, I was hardly aware of the horse's presence at all. My attention was all hers, my eyes but willing captives to the orgone raw crystal pendant resting against Skylar's ample bosom. Diamond whinnied from across his stable door, breaking me free from Skylar's organic, all-natural spell.

"This blend is really good for skin and muscle tone," she continued. "You should really try it. First apply a lemon-ginseng detox lotion, use a natural cleanser next, then the sandlewood essential extract since you're male, of course..."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 16, 2019

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Wife and I are two physicians at an academic medical center, so since it's a 501(c)3 and they've consistently held that as qualifying employment for PSLF. I'm sure it'll be changed in the future once they realize just how many physicians qualify, but the program is written into the master promissory note currently. Right type of loans, right job, just have to get to enough payments.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Oh, neat.

What do you want to write your paper about?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Irritated Goat posted:

Start looking into Roth\long term investment since my job 401k has no matching.
Continue adding to my son's savings account for college.

Personal Goals:
Lose weight. I'm tired of being a fat rear end and losing my last parent puts the fear of death into me

Writing all that out feels a bit sad but good too. I'd trade almost anything to get my mom back but she'd want me to not stress any more.

So sorry you lost your mom.

You can do this, keep at it. Take classes or get a workout buddy, it helps to push you to workout regularly, and be mindful what you drink especially, it's an easy way to cut calories.

I'd prioritize roth over 529 unless you're getting a big state deduction.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sundae posted:

>Reddit Personal Finance>> My essential oil heiress is divorcing me. Should I hire a lawyer to dispute horse custody?

We met that night beneath a cloudless sky, the moon shining bright overhead. Her eyes glittered like diamonds in the dim light. Her perfect veneers also glittered like diamonds. Perhaps they were; her father was wealthy enough that I couldn't discount the possibility. Skylar Jennyveeve Bentsworth, a third-generation doTerra guru, was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and the spirit of serial entrepreneurship in her veins. She'd been riding since before she was even old enough to reach the stirrups of her detoothed shetland, Goldie. "Someday," her father always ended each riding lesson, "you'll get to ride on the big horse. Just you wait 'till you get to Diamond."

"Isn't he beautiful?" she asked me, stroking Diamond's mane with one hand as she massaged lavender-biloba oil into its neck with the other.

"Yes... beautiful," I whispered breathlessly. Truthfully, I was hardly aware of the horse's presence at all. My attention was all hers, my eyes but willing captives to the orgone raw crystal pendant resting against Skylar's ample bosom. Diamond whinnied from across his stable door, breaking me free from Skylar's organic, all-natural spell.

"This blend is really good for skin and muscle tone," she continued. "You should really try it. First apply a lemon-ginseng detox lotion, use a natural cleanser next, then the sandlewood essential extract since you're male, of course..."
You had me at Jennyveeve

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm gonna try to do this...

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 250k left at 5%
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 4 years
- My student loan: 15k @ 5% (rate went up this past year)
- 1 car loan, 30k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP
- Continue maxing out our 401ks
- Continue maxing out our HSA
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house)
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The Experiment posted:

1) Yes, nearly 35% of my gross income got put away for January.
2) Put away over $1,400 so it’s on track. I will ramp up contributions here when I max out the Roth IRA for the year.
3) Put in $1,500 so on track there. Plan to put my tax refund of $1,200 all into the IRA for February.
4) On track. I just have it spread out over my paychecks throughout the year.
5) Yes, the largest expense made this month was nearly $200 on a nice vacuum cleaner.

Net worth jumped up to over $287k due to the stock market partially bouncing back. Would be nice to hit $300k in net worth by the end of March so I may step up my contributions to get there.

I’m going to sound stupid here but I assumed Roth IRA limits were at the married, filed joint level for me. I’m single and my income is as such that I am past the level for a single filer. So I withdrew my $3,000 that I’ve contributed to my Roth IRA and shifted it towards my investment account. Very dumb of me to do this. I caught it when doing taxes for last year where I should not have contributed to a Roth IRA in 2018 either.

Also thanks to the stock market bounce, my net worth is nearly $296k. I’m going to change my net worth goal to my stretch goal of $333,333.33.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The Experiment posted:

I’m going to sound stupid here but I assumed Roth IRA limits were at the married, filed joint level for me. I’m single and my income is as such that I am past the level for a single filer. So I withdrew my $3,000 that I’ve contributed to my Roth IRA and shifted it towards my investment account. Very dumb of me to do this. I caught it when doing taxes for last year where I should not have contributed to a Roth IRA in 2018 either.

Also thanks to the stock market bounce, my net worth is nearly $296k. I’m going to change my net worth goal to my stretch goal of $333,333.33.
If you don't have any money in a Traditional IRA, you could just backdoor Roth your IRA contributions.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

February Update!

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $134k
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $25.7k
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $10.4k
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $480
Lose 8 pounds. -4 pounds

$1.1k in unexpected car repairs this month which was a bummer, but luckily I have a car maintenance savings category! Feels good to be able to pay those things without having to pull from other funds.

Overspent a little in my fun categories this month, so I need to work on that in March.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

End of Feb:

:woop: Zero consumer debt
:eng99: Stop Eating Out At Lunch
:woop: £6k in the S&S ISA - £1,000, on target
:eng99: Still awaiting news on salaries, HR is truely the slowest business unit
:woop: >£79k, just about on target - market's dipped again at end of Feb but i'm calling this a win

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

February update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home My son has been sick a lot this month, so I had to "work"-from-home a lot, which made me feel bad taking a day off. I did take a half day to do taxes, though, but I failed this month.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids We cleaned up some more. Moved some boxes onto shelves. Swept some cobwebby areas. It's getting closer.
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies I thought about this a lot while I was up late with my sick kid. I realized that I just need to be more discerning about what I keep up with. I have stripped a lot of media consumption down (TV shows, podcasts, video games) to only things that keep me engaged or interested for a set amount of time. If it fails to hold my interest, it's gone. This makes me feel much better about what I do with my free time, and it feels good to remove things from my various digital queues.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Another February in the books, it's been a very, very good first 2 months for us.

First the good:
- Tax liability paid as of today.
- Febraury was a great month ~FoR oUr PoRtFoLiO~

By end of Q1:
- Fund an investment into my friend's private company. Done.
- Re-certify wife and myself for PSLF. Done.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments. Done.

Now the still in progress:
By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives! Little man due to arrive April!
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days (my next promotion) by July 1. They keep telling me to be patient about this but I DON'T WANNA.

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. Working on it.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded.
- House down payment fund to $120,000.

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, will be active January 1, 2020.

Now for the mostly struggling portion.
Personal Goals
- One muscle up. I don't know - as my lifts get bigger I'm getting heavier making gymnastic movements even more tricky. I'm working on double unders, that might be a more realistic goal.
- Thirty (30) new books read. 8/30 so far.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine. There's no way I'm going to hit this number, 120 is much more realistic. 24/120 done.
- Cook 72 meals. I've been slacking, and am probably at 6/72
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual). Continuing to make adequate progress here.
- Coparenting goals regarding night time feeding with coparent. Excited to test these out!

Since last November I'd really been slipping as a person - mood, behaviors, conduct, choices - and I think my ability to make meaningful progress really started off on the wrong foot. I've made some changes that I think will be pretty useful, but I put my wife through a lot of obnoxious stuff in the last 4 months. Thankfully she's a very patient, loving woman but I don't want to exhaust all that.

The good news is once you build good financial hygiene you can make sure that these little gently caress-ups stay compartmentalized and don't derail your plans for long term financial success. I'm grateful for the insight of the BFC regulars in helping me to develop these habits.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

2019 Goals:
1) Max Roth IRA Halfway there, which is a lot further than I thought I would be after two months
2) Up 401k from 10% to at least 13%. Stretch is 15% but we'll see what kind of raise I get this year.No progress, but waiting to get my Roth maxed before adjusting this.
3) Get Emergency fund to $12,500 At $10,650
4) Get house down payment fund to $5000 At $2,600
5) Get car down payment fund to $3000 (Not planning on getting a car for a few years yet, but good to start saving early) At $2,525
6) Keep fast food spending under $175 for the year (Currently at $228 for 2018, obviously not breaking the bank, still something to strive for). Spent about $30 so far this year. Going to make a goal of no spending on fast food this month.
7) Continue no revolving credit card debt. Easy-peasy

Things seem to be good and mostly on auto-pilot. My boss has talked to me about a possible promotion to corporate quality assurance, or at the very least working as someone who travels around to different locations in the company to perform assessments of employees who hold my current position. In the past, the person directly above me did my annual evaluations. They changed it this year so that someone else does the evaluations of people in my position, and I was kind of nervous, but apparently mine was the easiest evaluation she ever did, so I think that bodes well for my chances of getting a promotion.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
March!

Potrzebie posted:

2019!

With a tenant in the basement, a roof covered in solar panels and a massive increase in the wife's salary, 2019 should be a good year where 2018 was meh

Goals:
*Keep putting $50/month/child in index funds on autopilot
*Find $50/month in expences that I can put in personal savings instead
*Sell car -We don't really need it and it costs $200 per month just sitting in the driveway due to taxes and insurance in contact with potential buyers
*Do a good - Wife got an amazing new job with massive raise, but that means that I'll be on 100% parental leave from March. Going to hang out with newly arrived immigrant parents and talk Swedish with them. my body and mind is ready
*Do some carpentry just for fun
*Keep up the biking/running been running to work all winter!
*Keep investing
*Reduce mortgage by $10k
More to come I think.

The rest is in the :shrug: category for now. I have been lazy with tracking my expenses.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Endish of Q1..

1. Pay off student loans: 125k 94k left

2. Increase 529 to 600/child/month TBH I forgot :911: I’ll up it soon

3. Everything else basically on autopilot. Goal gross savings/debt payoff rate of 50%. So far so good. Shocking considering no bonuses yet this year

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 17, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Current State
- Wife's student loans: 245k left at 5%
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 4 years
- My student loan: 15k @ 5% (rate went up this past year) Paid off
- 1 car loan, 30k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP Done
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP
- Continue maxing out our 401ks
- Continue maxing out our HSA
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house)
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car

Not sure whether to pay off my wife's car, 30k at 3%, versus paying off her student loans @5% first. I could have the car paid off in 3 months.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 17, 2019

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

New country, new goals lets do it.

Current State:
Wife's CC: 7500
Wife's Student Debt: 40000
Wife's Car: 23000 @ 2.45%

E-fund: 16500

I have no debts but I raided the poo poo out of my E-fund to pay for my move to the US and while waiting for a work permit.

Q2 2019:
Pay off wife's CC in full, then put it in a drawer.
Fund IRA in full, convert to backdoor roth.
Help my wife get a new job.
Get a gym membership
Start bicycling to work.

Dec 31, 2019
Get wife's student debt down to 22000
Put 19000 into 401(k)
Persuade my employer to allow after-tax 401(k) contributions so I can mega backdoor roth.
E-fund to 35000
Car down to 18000.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure whether to pay off my wife's car, 30k at 3%, versus paying off her student loans @5% first. I could have the car paid off in 3 months.

5% > 3% so paying off her student loan instead is Good With Money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Potrzebie posted:

i will make the exception that you want to be sure you are not underwater on the car loan even at a low interest rate

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
I’d also favor putting money toward the 5% loan if cash flow/savings are such that suddenly having to pay off the rest of the car loan would not be a burden.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Potrzebie posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i will make the exception that you want to be sure you are not underwater on the car loan even at a low interest rate

Chu020 posted:

I’d also favor putting money toward the 5% loan if cash flow/savings are such that suddenly having to pay off the rest of the car loan would not be a burden.

Not underwater, but my wife definitely puts a decent amount of mileage on the car. I think I'm going to stick to the plan of paying off the student loan for now. Thanks guys.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Pay off the student loan, not even a close decision.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Pay off the student loan, not even a close decision.

Is it really that black and white? It's 3% on 30k vs 5% on 240k, but doesn't the fact that the car is depreciating come in to play at all?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Is it really that black and white? It's 3% on 30k vs 5% on 240k, but doesn't the fact that the car is depreciating come in to play at all?

Do you have enough e-fund, cash flow, or financing source to handle replacing the car if totaled underwater? If so who cares if it’s depreciating as long as you’re paying off debt.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

howdoesishotweb posted:

Do you have enough e-fund, cash flow, or financing source to handle replacing the car if totaled underwater? If so who cares if it’s depreciating as long as you’re paying off debt.

Fair enough.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Q1 Update

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out our 403b and backdoor Roth IRAs On autopilot to hit maxes before end of year
- Contribute $700/mo each to our 457s Same as above
- Roll over old 403b accounts into current one Apparently forms need to be notarized, hard to get wife out of house with newborn so far...
- Get current 403b provider to add a low cost total bond market fund Little headway, still trying to get them to tell me who to talk to
- Open 529 for kid #2, save $1k/mo per kid to each 529, maybe consider splitting between 529 and UGMA account for more flexibility Autofunding 529s for now
- Save $1k/mo for house maintenance/repairs Set up for automatic transfer into savings
- Save $1k/mo for planned car purchase/house remodeling in 5ish years Going strong so far
- Maintain 3 months expenses in HYSA Maintained, well over including house savings funds
- Revise estate documents to include kid #2 Forms obtained, same notarization issue as above
- No new debt
- Furnish dining room Done

Personal Goals
- Implement financial literacy curriculum for medical trainees Rooms/times reserved, GME to pay for refreshments and handle advertising, so set to go for the next academic year
- Publish one 1st author paper or similar Not looking great for this year, but next year looks more likely
- Get more protected time for teaching Some opportunities coming up
- Schedule a regular date night with wife, probably some time after maternity leave Pending
- Get back into doing squats and deadlifts, avoid throwing out back for the 6th time Doing 5/3/1, going ok so far, just dealing with some ridiculous imbalances where squats/deadlifts trail bench/shoulder press

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I managed to save a couple hundred bucks this month. Still a few hundred less than I should be able to save per month but random life stuff keeps popping up. Also I guess life stuff that should be able to be planned for if I really say down and thought about it.

I will pump out a budget and really dive deep for the rest of the month.

Moving to a smaller place that’s a bit cheaper so that will also help.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:homebrew: March Update! :homebrew:

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $136.6k
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $26.3k
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $10.6k
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $720
Lose 8 pounds. -4 pounds

March was crazy.

The bad:

. $800 in unexpected "let's make sure you don't have cancer" medical bills. (I don't!)
. I decided to get cable... why?

The good:

. Booked everything for two vacations: Florida in July and Puerto Vallarta in November. Was able to get both plane tickets and one rental car covered with credit card miles!
. Found out I passed the BCBA exam, which opens up some career opportunities.
. I kept my spending more in check this month and haven't gone over in any categories.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
progress through Q1:

Overall net worth +67K including:
Max IRAs 12K - not done yet
Max my 401K 19K - on track w auto contribs
Housing downpayment fund +36K right now paying huge cash amounts for grad school, last payment is this month for the year so we can start this process

Don't take on any debt for wife's grad school on track
Move for the summer for wife internship, cover all these costs with her pay

Non-financial (or deleterious to overall financial picture):
Ski at least 8 days ya bub
Go on one major non-skiing vacation ehh, we took a half a major vacation

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Q1 update:

BAE OF PIGS posted:

2019 Goals:
1) Max Roth IRA At $4000 for the year
2) Up 401k from 10% to at least 13%. Stretch is 15% but we'll see what kind of raise I get this year. Still no progress, waiting to meet goal number 1
3) Get Emergency fund to $12,500 At $11,000
4) Get house down payment fund to $5000 At $3,150
5) Get car down payment fund to $3000 (Not planning on getting a car for a few years yet, but good to start saving early) At $2,650
6) Keep fast food spending under $175 for the year (Currently at $228 for 2018, obviously not breaking the bank, still something to strive for). Spent 10.79 in March
7) Continue no revolving credit card debt.

I'm making more progress on my IRA than I thought I would be by this point, so I think I'll get to my other goals pretty easily. I really want to get as much money in the house down payment fund as possible. I've been donating (selling) plasma twice a week, so that's bringing in an extra 90 bucks a week, and it gives me some time to catch up on podcasts. I should also be getting a raise in April.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Q1 update. A little boring since most of the stuff is autopilot.

drainpipe posted:

Finance:
1. Max 457 will be on autopilot On track!
2. Max Roth IRA will be done on 1/2 Done!
3. Max Wife's Roth IRA will be done on 1/2 Done!
4. Max 403b will be done on autopilot (maybe even partially Roth 403b depending on whether certain income streams pan out) On track but no Rothing this year!

Personal:
5. Make use of Southwest companion pass and take a vacation (eyeing Utah national parks + Vegas) Wife got Invisalign, so that will be our big splurge this year
6. Learn webdev for fun (also possible develop to side hustle?) Done with learning. Gotta think of some projects to work on
7. Maybe have a wedding? We had a quick city hall civil ceremony last year. We've been meaning to have an actual wedding party for our friends, but ball has not even begun rolling on it. Not this year

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

End of March

:buddy: £0 consumer debt
:buddy: I am starting! Did a whole 10 workdays this month without any external lunch expenses
:buddy: S&S at £1300, total ISA contrib for 2018/9 was £3700 which isn't too bad considering I was still paying off debt for the first half of the financial year
:orks: 2% CoL increase boooo, am going to raise with C-level otherwise it looks like it's time to dust off the CV
:buddy: >82k, on target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

March update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th Did some high-level research on this, and it looks like it'll be in the range of ~10k to do what we'd want for myself, my brother, and our dad. Currently saving with that number in mind. Need to spend some more time to get specifics for the trip.

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home Another month with lots of sickness, plus I went to India for a week for work. I took a half day to help my wife prep for my being across the world for that week, but that's it. Another failed month.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies