Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I really enjoy seeing the updates in this thread every month. I strive to achieve what some of you have been able to!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! - sorry to hear about what you're going through. My wife and I went through a funk after our second was born, and I think I took it much harder than she did. I was depressed about the lack of intimacy and feeling like I lost my best friend due to time being taken by a number of things: the additional work of having two kids; our son being in the hospital regularly for the first 4 months of life; and a promotion at work that required a lot more time. It took a lot of arguments, crying, and communication to really express ourselves and understand each other. We're in a much better place now because we went through it together and were honest about expectations.

Whatever happens, I'm sure you guys will make the best decision for your family.

September update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck I'm looking at opening with either Fidelity or Health Equity
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore Life is a general excuse :(
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home Took a Friday off to drive up to Michigan to spend a long weekend with the family at a friend's house
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids Mopped and sprayed another corner. Only one corner left before we can start putting stuff onto shelving.
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011
September 2019 update:

1. Max out Roth IRA - Accomplished in March.

2. Try to max out 457 account - I increased my contributions from $1k per month to $1.3k, with the extra 300 being a roth contribution. I figured I'm probably in the lowest tax situation I'm likely going to be in for some time, so I should take advantage of the fact that I have the option of making roth contributions to my 457.

3. Promote to the next job level in my career path - This ended up being a trip, the position my mentor had in mind for me ended up not being available as the person in the job ended up NOT leaving, and it was difficult to find another opportunity for myself. However, last week I received an offer for an interesting promotion elsewhere in the organization. I'll start in about two weeks - starting salary is $81k per year.

4. Move in with my gf - Accomplished in February - life w/ gf has been good

5. Maintain or improve my current savings rate of 40% of gross income - I've been closer to 30%, but my overall pay has been higher so my contributions this year have still been the largest they've ever been, so I'm not too upset.

6. Increase emergency fund to $10k - Still in progress, I've saved $6.6k

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

2018 was.....bad. Stupidly leased a car, put down a deposit on a new construction home, and now need to replace some savings. The worst is that at the end of the year, it feels my job situation is not great. That will be my number one priority starting ASAP. I won't be as aggressive with my debt payments as I could be, as I want to continue rebuilding savings and add more to our emergency fund (4 months currently) just in case. IF my position is eliminated OR we don't feel comfortable, we will walk away from the house. Even if we can't get our deposit back, I'd rather that than be saddled with a mortgage with only one of us working.

2019 Goals
1. Stabilize employment
2. Rebuild savings to $15k
3. Pay down final student loan to $7500

That's going to be it. My stretch goal is to avoid any additional lines of credit and to reign in spending on the house if we move forward.

Well I guess I'll do an update, since I haven't done one yet this year...

1. The job feels much more stable and I feel I'm in a good position, next in line to be VP of my department
2. Savings has gone from $3k to $10k but it's been stagnating there for a bit
3. My student loan is down to $7800 and change, so this one is on track

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so right now looks like we are at +5K, which includes a ton of market value increase. it also includes taking on roughly $14K in debt (at 1.9) for a new car. I still think +67 is within reach but it will now depend more on bonus this year for which guidance is good. but the net effect is not so good right now.

i realized that i suck at math / typing numbers in to excel and we are at +24k net worth (again including market value increases) so that's not nearly so bad as i thought. we gonna get it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm so grateful that I can honestly and truly say that concerns about money are not at play whatsoever in our relationship. That's an enormous amount of privilege to be able to say, but the issues we have are much, much, MUCH more related to time priorities, communication and intimacy.
Yeah, not worrying about money in a marriage is one area where it seems like money really does buy happiness (or rather, one fewer driver of unhappiness).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

October 2019 update:

Goals:
Pay Rent On-Time: $805 on 11/01
Past-due parking tickets so my car doesn't get booted or towed and i can renew the reg in December: $600???
Oil change i need to get that the car's 25% overdue for: $90
Rice and Beans: $30
Veggies: $60
Train fare: $40 ($150 if my car gets booted/towed)
Gas $80
Misc poo poo that always comes up and can't wait: $100-$400

$534 in checking
$409 paycheck to be picked up
$250 side job planned for Oct 14-17
$300 maybe i'll get some hours the last weekend of the month.

Balance: between -$312 and -$712

looks like i'm going to have to be an irresponsible poor who can't manage their money and skip paying some bills! i wonder which will gently caress up my life the least? probably the parking tickets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

90 bucks for an oil change seems... steep

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

October 2019 update:

Goals:
Pay Rent On-Time: $805 on 11/01
Past-due parking tickets so my car doesn't get booted or towed and i can renew the reg in December: $600???
Oil change i need to get that the car's 25% overdue for: $90
Rice and Beans: $30
Veggies: $60
Train fare: $40 ($150 if my car gets booted/towed)
Gas $80
Misc poo poo that always comes up and can't wait: $100-$400

$534 in checking
$409 paycheck to be picked up
$250 side job planned for Oct 14-17
$300 maybe i'll get some hours the last weekend of the month.

Balance: between -$312 and -$712

looks like i'm going to have to be an irresponsible poor who can't manage their money and skip paying some bills! i wonder which will gently caress up my life the least? probably the parking tickets
Make a thread.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

90 bucks for an oil change seems... steep
Depends on the vehicle, oil capacity, and where you take to be done. I usually end up paying around $100 for mine, but I also only do them every 7,500 miles instead of 3,000 miles too.

Hoodwinker posted:

Make a thread.
Yes, do that. You can get a lot of good advice outside of this thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Somehow I doubt the guy who's struggling to make rent is driving a Superior German Automobile or brodozer that requires fifteen quarts of oil but sure, maybe.

Brother man should make a thread though for sure.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

October 2019 update:

A) make a thread so we can unfuck your life

B) what the gently caress do the oil yourself you literally just need a bucket and a funnel

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

A) make a thread so we can unfuck your life

B) what the gently caress do the oil yourself you literally just need a bucket and a funnel
Yeah idk if you think people are going to laugh at you or something but legit you will get a ton of free, focused help in organizing your financial life if you make a thread with good details. People in here want to help you.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Somehow I doubt the guy who's struggling to make rent is driving a Superior German Automobile or brodozer that requires fifteen quarts of oil but sure, maybe.

I thought you read the BWM thread? :stare:

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 10, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

howdoesishotweb posted:

I thought you read the BWM thread? :stare:

look im the guy who pays a hundred forty bucks for an oil change im just trying not to project my mistakes on others

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

look im the guy who pays a hundred forty bucks for an oil change im just trying not to project my mistakes on others

laughs in Porsche

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
lol y'all got played, my car came with oil installed

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol y'all got played, my car came with oil installed
poo poo, I knew I didn't negotiate my last purchase correctly. Lesson learned for next time I guess.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Q3 Update

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out our 403b and backdoor Roth IRAs On autopilot
- Contribute $1000/mo$400/mo each to our 457s Cutting back to account for intermittent FMLA leave wife is taking
- Roll over old 403b accounts into current one Done.
- Get current 403b provider to add a low cost total bond market fund On the back burner for now
- Open 529 for kid #2, save $1k/mo per kid to each 529, maybe consider splitting between 529 and UGMA account for more flexibility Autofunding 529s for now for both
- Save $1k/mo for house maintenance/repairs On autopilot
- Save $1k/mo for planned car purchase/house remodeling in 5ish years Still going, added $10k from wife's bonus unexpectedly
- Maintain 3 months expenses in HYSA Remains well over including house savings funds
- Annual recertification of PSLF in August/Sept Done, certified, 33 months left
- Revise estate documents to include kid #2 Done
- No new debt May have to modify, wife's car is having intermittent issues and may need to be replaced, will probably take a car loan if we can get <2% interest rate on a new CR-V or something
- Furnish dining room Done

Personal Goals
- Implement financial literacy curriculum for medical trainees First 3 talks given, others scheduled, working on advertising/turn out
- Publish one 1st author paper or similar Eh... lots of other stuff has come up, maybe next year
- Get more protected time for teaching Got some time for a coaching program and for teaching ultrasound to residents, can't really cut back clinically more without hurting other projects
- Schedule a regular date night with wife, probably some time after maternity leave Have had 2 successful date nights so far, aiming for once a month
- Get back into doing squats and deadlifts, avoid throwing out back for the 6th time Went to 10x10 to work on back issues and after stalling out for a few weeks, seems to be ok so far

Mother in law was recently diagnosed with a glioblastoma, now on home hospice for the last 2 months, so navigating wife taking a bunch of time off and reduced salary + doing the single parenting thing with the kids almost every weekend I'm not on call has been, well, a bit stressful. The unexpected bonus helped financially at least.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Chu020 posted:

Mother in law was recently diagnosed with a glioblastoma, now on home hospice for the last 2 months, so navigating wife taking a bunch of time off and reduced salary + doing the single parenting thing with the kids almost every weekend I'm not on call has been, well, a bit stressful. The unexpected bonus helped financially at least.

I hope she's comfortable, sorry about this. Great work on the rest of it.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Chu020 posted:

Q3 Update

Ouch. I really hope things turn out as well as they can under the circumstances.

The more I read this thread, the more I realize just how fortunate we all are. It’s clear that we’re all fighting certain demons at any given moment, but having ANY financial sense makes it more likely that we can navigate life much smoother. I initially felt embarrassed to put E/N stuff in my posts, but now I realize that’s the loving point of trying to be financially free.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

October Update!

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $163.6k GOAL MET
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $33.5k (not gonna meet it!)
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $11.8k (on track!)
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $2.4k (on track!)

Turns out I don't need knee surgery! Yay.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spinst posted:

Turns out I don't need knee surgery! Yay.

gently caress yeah!

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
This year I've moved into a rented house instead of an apartment, got two roommates, maxed out my 401K (19,000 + 8% matched), Roth IRA ($6000), and have been putting away $1000 / month into a taxable account, and have a year's expenses in a high interest savings account.

I got laid off 2 years ago on Thanksgiving with no warning right as my car broke down, and with pneumonia, and then it took me several months to find a new job. That terrible experience encouraged me to save more money and I've managed to save almost $50,000 last year into retirement, taxable, and savings, meeting all my goals for 2019 2 months early.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress yeah!

I've learned my lesson to no longer believe doctors when they say they are "95% sure" of something.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
End of October

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

:smugdog: Zero consumer debt
:regd09: Still eating out at lunch a fair bit; 75/25 was definitely a tough goal but am currently still around 50/50
:yosnice: £3,420.69 (and a hundred due to go in today)
:regd09: on ice until end of the year
:smugdog: > £96k, still on target just need to push for the line

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I meticulously track my finances, so it makes sense for me to post this for accountability to someone other than myself.

Goals for 2019:

Increase emergency fund to $12,100 On track, but might be derailed a little because my FIL passed away recently with no life insurance/assets whatsoever. Splitting final expenses with my sister in law.

Increase taxable investments to $74,900 On track. I know by the letter of the law I shouldn't have this much in taxable, but I was a dummy and invested some extra cash on hand in 2008 which has grown substantially. Ideally I would just liquidate this, and live off it for 2 - 3 years while maxing out my 401k, but :effort:. I currently only contribute $50 a week to this.

Increase net worth to $320k Off track. Will probably end the year around $310k, this is due to my home value going down recently. Entering the winter and Connecticut's real estate market has been pretty slow overall.

Increase retirement (401k + IRA's) to $74,000. On track. Currently contributing 6% of my paycheck to my 401k to maximize company match. Will top off the IRA's for my wife and I in early 2020.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

October was absolutely awful, but for new and uncool ways. This has been a hard year.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Liabilities -
- My student loans are on target for forgiveness in early 2023. My payments will increase some, but are capped, meaning I'll still be getting quite a bit of forgiveness.
- My wife's loans were never eligible for forgiveness (she never consolidated them to direct loans) and as such she has more than $300K of liability that will have to be repaid in full. :yikes:
- Approximately 36 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. Not sure what's going to happen with the house. Something like $70k in equity in the house so far.
- Two car loans, both cars in great shape. Two years of payment left on one, three and a half on the other. Neither dramatically under water.

By end of Q1:
- Fund an investment into my friend's private company.
- Re-certify myself for PSLF.
- Document approval and payment status for my student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives!
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days by July 1. A different directorship became available and I received a roughly 5.7% base pay raise between the additional pay and COLA

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have hired someone to help with pickup and drop off for our two kids for school. It has been a lifesaver.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. Automatic.

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case, but it required enough work that I ended up basically billing two cases out of it.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 117.5K and counting.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt. So far, so good.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. Was supposed to begin January 1, 2020, I think the timeline has been pushed back.

Personal Goals
- One muscle up I did this. I can't do them every time I try them, but I can do them.
- Thirty (30) new books read. I'm going to end up short on this front. The second baby really cramped my reading.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine I've done 50 so far. I became a lot less enthusiastic about this when the baby arrived!
- Cook 72 meals I'll be around this but we've offloaded a lot with help from a really good meal prep company in town that allows my wife to have a little bit more time to enjoy our family in the evenings.
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual) 260, 350, 375
- Coparenting goals regarding night time responsibilities with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously.

After last month's marriage drama (we're in counseling, it's not really better but not really any worse) I had some poo poo go down at work. Basically I ran a project that will end up saving my hospital 1.5M annually. My boss booked it as a huge win and it made her look great. She got a nice raise out of the equation. As the project is sun-setting, my "administrative stipend" - some 18K annually - is set to expire. I tried to negotiate to make it a permanent part of my salary, or to acquire another administrative position to make up the loss it will represent. The department said "no thanks," but my chair also chose the literal middle of the negotiation as an opportunity to air some grievances "she'd heard" for the first time about me as an employee. This is stuff that has never shown up in a review, has never been given to me directly, has never been stated in person prior to the middle of this negotiation. I was pretty hot.

My feelings are pretty hurt, and I'm not super eager to continue on working here. I'm working to see what it will take to terminate my non-compete (and try to find employment locally) but there's a job about 100 miles away that was pretty close initially to what I'd have considered my dream job. I really like what I'm doing, and I have some opportunity here to make more big, systematic changes in healthcare, but it's hard to argue with the increase in compensation (which is about 150% what I make in academics). Unfortunately there's currently nothing in that market for my wife, who's also a physician, and she doesn't want to move.

Thankfully we have a big, robust emergency fund and tons of money squirreled away for days cloudier and more rainy than these, so I'm grateful for all the insight and advice I've gotten from you guys throughout the past 3+ years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nov update:

Overall net worth +67K including:
Max IRAs 12K - done
Max my 401K 19K - on track w auto contribs
Housing downpayment fund +36K not on track due to housing scam et al below

so right now looks like we are at +46K, which includes a ton of market value increase. it also includes taking on roughly $14K in debt (at 1.9) for a new car. I still think +67 is within reach.

Don't take on any debt for wife's grad school on track
Move for the summer for wife internship, cover all these costs with her pay this was a dismal failure due to housing scam and then having to rent a short term corp apartment for $texas but we survived!

Non-financial (or deleterious to overall financial picture):
Ski at least 8 days ya bub
Go on one major non-skiing vacation we are taking two half major vacations so i'll count it
adding in: work out at least 3x/week some weeks yes, some weeks nob

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

October update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck No progress
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore Looking to be a failure this year (again) :(
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home This was a miss this month
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids Stuff is moving to shelving. Some more mopping and spraying done.
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

October was absolutely awful, but for new and uncool ways. This has been a hard year.

After last month's marriage drama (we're in counseling, it's not really better but not really any worse) I had some poo poo go down at work. Basically I ran a project that will end up saving my hospital 1.5M annually. My boss booked it as a huge win and it made her look great. She got a nice raise out of the equation. As the project is sun-setting, my "administrative stipend" - some 18K annually - is set to expire. I tried to negotiate to make it a permanent part of my salary, or to acquire another administrative position to make up the loss it will represent. The department said "no thanks," but my chair also chose the literal middle of the negotiation as an opportunity to air some grievances "she'd heard" for the first time about me as an employee. This is stuff that has never shown up in a review, has never been given to me directly, has never been stated in person prior to the middle of this negotiation. I was pretty hot.

My feelings are pretty hurt, and I'm not super eager to continue on working here. I'm working to see what it will take to terminate my non-compete (and try to find employment locally) but there's a job about 100 miles away that was pretty close initially to what I'd have considered my dream job. I really like what I'm doing, and I have some opportunity here to make more big, systematic changes in healthcare, but it's hard to argue with the increase in compensation (which is about 150% what I make in academics). Unfortunately there's currently nothing in that market for my wife, who's also a physician, and she doesn't want to move.

Thankfully we have a big, robust emergency fund and tons of money squirreled away for days cloudier and more rainy than these, so I'm grateful for all the insight and advice I've gotten from you guys throughout the past 3+ years.

Ugh, it gets hard when both the home front and work get bad, and dealing with 2 young kids at the same time makes it so much harder. Don't know if this is an isolated incident at work or if it's just the latest in a pattern of issues. If it's the former, and otherwise you have good colleagues, like the job, and your boss is otherwise usually supportive then I'd take some time to let things settle out before making big moves, but get any info that gives you better BATNA just in case. If it's the latter, then I guess the question is how good your other options are, and how flexible you can be given the other issues you're dealing with. Sorry you're having to deal with it all at once.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Early November Update

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 245k left at 5% $178k left at 2.5% 69k left at 1.9% :nice:
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 3.5 years
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP Done
- Pay off my 11k student loan ASAP Done NEW
- Put $5k/month in to a taxable account. NEW, set on autopilot, on track.
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP - On track. Will get paid off in the next few months.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA On autopilot
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house) DONE, want to get to 100k as an emergency fund/new car fund
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September DONE
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car

Pretty satisfied where things are right now. Wife's student loans are almost gone, and I'm in the process of refinancing our mortgage to a 15 year fixed at 3%. I'll need to do some goal setting for 2020 soon, but first I want to get the 2019 goals squared away by the end of the year.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 6, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

Early November Update

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 245k left at 5% $178k left at 2.5% 69k left at 1.9% :nice:
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 3.5 years
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP Done
- Pay off my 11k student loan ASAP Done NEW
- Put $5k/month in to a taxable account. NEW, set on autopilot, on track.
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP - On track. Will get paid off in the next few months.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA On autopilot
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house) DONE, want to get to 100k as an emergency fund/new car fund
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September DONE
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car

Pretty satisfied where things are right now. Wife's student loans are almost gone, and I'm in the process of refinancing our mortgage to a 15 year fixed at 3%. I'll need to do some goal setting for 2020 soon, but first I want to get the 2019 goals squared away by the end of the year.

You guys are absolutely crushing it. Nice work.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

69k left at 1.9% :nice:

Why pay this off faster? That lags inflation, so you're losing money paying it off vs investing. (I would say the same about the 2.5% debt but that ship has sailed.)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Why pay this off faster? That lags inflation, so you're losing money paying it off vs investing. (I would say the same about the 2.5% debt but that ship has sailed.)

Agreed. The car loan is much higher interest so that seemed to be the one to prioritise. Does this one’s rate jump at some date?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

There's a mental thing about paying your student loans down. I know it's not beep boop min max ideal, but unlike a house or a car where there's a real asset you kind of feel like it's just this debt albatross around your neck.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's a mental thing about paying your student loans down. I know it's not beep boop min max ideal, but unlike a house or a car where there's a real asset you kind of feel like it's just this debt albatross around your neck.

Yeah, I get that. It's why I waffle back and forth on destroying my mortgage.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Nam Taf posted:

Agreed. The car loan is much higher interest so that seemed to be the one to prioritise. Does this one’s rate jump at some date?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, it’s mostly a mental thing. It’s a variable interest refi for five years, and the most recent rate is at 1.9%. I agree it’s kind of silly to repay that money aggressively, but we’ve told ourselves that we’re paying it off ASAP. I may just end up paying the car off early once our mortgage refinance is finalized, versus upping our taxable investments by a few more thousand a month.

Any strong opinions?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, it’s mostly a mental thing. It’s a variable interest refi for five years, and the most recent rate is at 1.9%. I agree it’s kind of silly to repay that money aggressively, but we’ve told ourselves that we’re paying it off ASAP. I may just end up paying the car off early once our mortgage refinance is finalized, versus upping our taxable investments by a few more thousand a month.

Any strong opinions?

For some reason, cash flow seems discounted in the "pay off debt vs invest" discussions. You can knock out student loan debt often (improves mental satisfaction and cash flow), knock out the car (ditto), and it's clear that you have a good plan for the other aspects of your financial life. That means you will also be able to adjust your automation goals to reach them faster, or waste it on extra cocaine binges (don't do this).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Any strong opinions?

As previously mentioned, it’s so low that it’s paying itself down just through inflation. You’re losing money in real terms by paying it off.

I’d personally target the car and remind myself that if something happens to it then you’re free of having to wear a debt without the car to support it. I’d then let the student loans stick around on minimums and build a nest egg of savings in term deposits such that when interest rates kick up you can just bulk pay it off.

Having said that, I completely understand the mental aspect of being free of them. It’s decluttering your financial life. You’re clearly disciplined enough with a firehose of cashflow that no matter what you do, you’ll be just fine. It just may not be the nerdy optimal thing. And that’s fine. Whilst I get a kick out of optimising poo poo like that, I totally understand people who don’t.

Do what feels right to you. All paths lead to financial security for you if you keep your current heading, just some may be a few small steps more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

With the size they are and the amount you've got left remaining I'd honestly just slay them and move on to the next thing.