Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

With the size they are and the amount you've got left remaining I'd honestly just slay them and move on to the next thing.

Did you mean to post this in a rpg questing thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Vomik posted:

Did you mean to post this in a rpg questing thread?

When your balance is in the 6 figgies and your payment is 4 or 5 it does feel like Final Fantasy 6!

RE I went through the same decision process. Paying off the loans is the most conservative option. I can spend more guilt free. And if/when some politician or venture capitalist succeeds in cutting physician salaries in half, it’s nice to know I can still afford my bills.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

howdoesishotweb posted:

When your balance is in the 6 figgies and your payment is 4 or 5 it does feel like Final Fantasy 6!

Numbers go up!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

November Update!

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $168.3k GOAL SMASHED
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $35.1k (not gonna meet it!)
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $12k GOAL MET
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $2.6k (on track!)

Time to start thinking about next year's goals!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic posted:

By Feb:
- save up 400$ for bonsai auction and keep first CC balance zeroed, If that card has a balance no auction allowed. Balance transfers to my other card are not allowed.

By March:
- zero CC balances! ZERO
- determine whether a refi on student loans would be a good idea or not

By May:
- if roommates are moving out, save up 3k for potential moving and deposit expenses
- if roomates are all signing the lease, destroy PLUS loan for good

By end of Nov:
- bring down student loan balances by at least 10k
- have at least 4k in emergency savings

These should all be concrete and doable if nothing explodes (something always explodes)

oh and end the year with zero CC balances.

Feb goals: done
March goals: done, though I don't think on time?
May: I ended up being the one to move out lol
Nov: done, 5k+ in savings and I moved my 401k from my last job into an 18 month CD :toot:
as for the loan balances, I've paid a total of around 9k but because of interest they only came down around 7k. I'll fall short there even with the extra payments unfortunately.

I am paying off my small balances at the beginning of each month so I haven't carried a CC balance since spring :buddy:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

November update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck No progress
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore Looking to be a failure this year (again) :(
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home I took the day before Thanksgiving off to help clean the house since we hosted both sides of the family at our place. I would have rather been working...
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids Slowly organizing through the crap and have a huge donation pile made.
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

Something that isn't on my list but is in motion to happen in December or January is migration of an old employer's 401k into my personal IRA at Vanguard. They finally offered to buy out my pension (which I knew was going to come), and it'll make the severance of my ties to that company that much easier.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

This continues to be a hard year. Some tough decisions.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Liabilities -
- My student loans are on target for forgiveness in early 2023. Despite this, I think I am going to move along to a new private practice position. Financially, the loss of forgiveness will be approximately a wash.
- My wife's loans were never eligible for forgiveness (she never consolidated them to direct loans) and as such she has more than $300K of liability that will have to be repaid in full. :yikes:
- Approximately 36 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. Not sure what's going to happen with the house. Something like $70k in equity in the house so far. Will require a relocation with the decision to move to a new job.
- Two car loans, both cars in great shape. Two years of payment left on one, three and a half on the other. Neither dramatically under water.

By end of Q1:
- Fund an investment into my friend's private company.
- Re-certify myself for PSLF.
- Document approval and payment status for my student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives!
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days by July 1. A different directorship became available and I received a roughly 5.7% base pay raise between the additional pay and COLA. Unfortunately with the end of one of my projects my work threatened to take the administrative stipend for one of my positions away, which would have led to approximately a 6% pay cut. I tried to negotiate for a replacement responsibility, but ultimately decided to leave the position.

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have hired someone to help with pickup and drop off for our two kids for school. It has been a lifesaver.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. Automatic.

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case, but it required enough work that I ended up basically billing two cases out of it.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 117.5K and counting.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt. So far, so good.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. Will begin January 1, 2020. I made sure to crow about having succeeded in bringing this to our institution.

Personal Goals
- One muscle up I did this. I can't do them every time I try them, but I can do them.
- Thirty (30) new books read. I'll end up right about here.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine I've done 50 so far. I became a lot less enthusiastic about this when the baby arrived!
- Cook 72 meals I'll be around this but we've offloaded a lot with help from a really good meal prep company in town that allows my wife to have a little bit more time to enjoy our family in the evenings.
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual) 260, 350, 375
- Coparenting goals regarding night time responsibilities with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously.

I resigned from my job effective April 1. I have two job offers outstanding. I'll be making a decision in the coming weeks about which direction to go.

Thankfully we have a big, robust emergency fund and tons of money squirreled away for days cloudier and more rainy than these, so I'm grateful for all the insight and advice I've gotten from you guys throughout the past 3+ years.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

:mcnabb: -Zero consumer debt
:mcnabb: - Eating a home a lot last and this month (because I'm working from home a bit more and taking much needed time off)
:manning: £3.6k
:manning: On the warpath now
:mcnabb: >£98k. Last push.

I had a lot of throughput in November becuase of various life being poo poo issues (had a bag with all my stuff in it stolen, grandad died so have helped to get my sister back to the UK from Aus for the funeral) but with insurance payout on the stolen items and my folks refunding me for sister's flights I should clear the main goal of £100k by Christmas

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I'll get a 2020 thread going in the next few days. Any title suggestions?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Financial Goals 2020: Elect Bernie

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I'm resuming nursing school in january and should be finishing in september, so i could use the reminder not to forget where i came from when i have enough money to not have to choose between rent and groceries

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I resigned from my job effective April 1. I have two job offers outstanding. I'll be making a decision in the coming weeks about which direction to go.

Thankfully we have a big, robust emergency fund and tons of money squirreled away for days cloudier and more rainy than these, so I'm grateful for all the insight and advice I've gotten from you guys throughout the past 3+ years.

hows that commute shaking up

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hang in there my guy.

And tell me how much better private practice is.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Financial Goals 2020: Elect Bernie

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
November Update:

Goals for 2019:

Increase emergency fund to $12,100 On track, the final expenses for my FIL turned out to be pretty minimal.

Increase taxable investments to $74,900 On track, might be exceeded by a bit since the market is quite high at the moment.

Increase net worth to $320k Off track. Will probably end the year around $310k, this is due to my home value going down recently. Entering the winter and Connecticut's real estate market has been pretty slow overall. Likely more like 305 k with the real estate market continuing to slow down.

Increase retirement (401k + IRA's) to $74,000. On track. Currently contributing 6% of my paycheck to my 401k to maximize company match. Will top off the IRA's for my wife and I in early 2020.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hows that commute shaking up

50 minutes interstate, could be worse.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Hang in there my guy.

And tell me how much better private practice is.

Let’s just say I haven’t heard the phrases “wellness” or “mandatory modules” in 4 years.

EOYish update

1. Pay off student loans: 125k done!

2. Increase 529 to 600/child/month. Done for the year. Debating on superfunding this for my two kids this year (3% state tax free contributions) versus heavy EOY taxable contribution.

3. Everything else basically on autopilot. Goal gross savings/debt payoff rate of 50%. Will happen, gonna do some heavy donations this year

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 3, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

50 minutes interstate, could be worse.

oh that ain't so bad, and if I recall you are an anesthesiologist so you have a pretty regular schedule

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh that ain't so bad, and if I recall you are an anesthesiologist so you have a pretty regular schedule

I figure it’s manageable, and given that it’s an immediate $80,000 pay raise...

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic posted:

Feb goals: done
March goals: done, though I don't think on time?
May: I ended up being the one to move out lol
Nov: done, 5k+ in savings and I moved my 401k from my last job into an 18 month CD :toot:
as for the loan balances, I've paid a total of around 9k but because of interest they only came down around 7k. I'll fall short there even with the extra payments unfortunately.

I am paying off my small balances at the beginning of each month so I haven't carried a CC balance since spring :buddy:

oh and my loving PLUS loan will be gone in January :cheerdoge:
I think if I really buckle down next year I can really gently caress these loans up.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Is there a financial goals thread for poor people? I'm a UK poor regardless of financial mishap and it is something I will not be able to change, but I do want to get a better handle on things. I feel kinda lost along side computer touchers and VPs.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
It doesn't matter how rich/poor you are to start off with, having goals that are attainable and keep you on track to be in a better financial position at the end of next year is what counts. I get where you're coming from though so both the Incremental Improvements thread for announcing key milestones and the UK Personal Finance Thread are great resources (if I do say so myself)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Doccykins posted:

Extremely helpful post

Thank you, I'll check the threads you suggested! Appreciate the pointers xc

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sloth Life posted:

I'll add that some of us computer touchers and VPs were once ourselves poor, and can provide some perspective and help on the road to becoming more wealthy - if not rich, at least less poor. In all the time I've been a regular in this subforum, I've never seen anybody treated poorly or looked down upon for not having money. We want you to succeed. Please feel free to rub virtual elbows. Don't feel like you have to post in some dirty shame corner; nobody wants that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

:justpost: this thread isn't supposed to just be for people with high incomes, so it's a shame that it's turned out that way!

EOY update, gonna declare victory and move on to 2020!
Overall net worth +67K including:
Max IRAs 12K - done
Max my 401K 19K - done
Housing downpayment fund +36K exceeded

ended year at +125K, which includes a lot of market value increase. it also includes taking on roughly $14K in debt (at 1.9) for a new car. without market value increase we put +71K cash money towards various retirement and investment stuff, that's pretty good.

2020 tentative goals:
something to do with exercise
ski more than the value of my season pass
max retirements
wife graduate get job and we move to a new city and rebudget at that point! for now i'm going to put non-retirement savings goals on hold since i don't know what is reasonable.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I guess I didn't really realize what a monster the market has been in the past 12 months but I did a look-back and wowie zowie this has been a good year for +NW.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I guess I didn't really realize what a monster the market has been in the past 12 months but I did a look-back and wowie zowie this has been a good year for +NW.

It's gonna make the next recession that much bigger.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The first time I posted in one of these threads I believe I was making 13 dollars an hour and I had like 41k in student loan debt.

:justpost:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2019 End of the year update

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 245k left at 5% $178k left at 2.5% 66k left at 1.8% :nice:
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 3.5 years
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year, finished refinancing to 15 year fixed at 3%!

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP Done
- Pay off my 11k student loan ASAP Done NEW
- Put $5k/month in to a taxable account. NEW, set on autopilot, on track.
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP - On track. Will get paid off in the next few months. We have the money sitting in an account ready to pay off her loans, but needed to keep it there to get our mortgage rate.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks - On autopilot, done for the year
- Continue maxing out our HSA On autopilot
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house) DONE, want to get to 100k as an emergency fund/new car fund. Formally at 60k, probably a bit higher when you take into account our slush in checking.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September DONE, although I'm a bit unclear on how likely it will be that I'll get screwed on this since we no longer qualify for a financial hardship.
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car Success. Bought a 2009 Volvo shitbox wagon for $4k in April for me to get groceries/take the dog to the dog park. I take the train to work, so it's not a huge deal. Hoping it lasts through 2020?

Pretty happy with the way the year turned out to be honest. We paid off a bunch of student loan debt: 229k in total, which is kind of ridiculous to type out. I won't lie that part of that was due to some unexpected inheritance money that my wife received. I'm also very happy with our mortgage refi, although I'm a little unhappy with the realization of how little principal we paid off in the first year on our prior 30 year amortization schedule on a 10/1 ARM. I should have gone with a 15 year fixed in the first place, although I probably would have refinanced anyways as interest rates dropped towards the end of the year. I'll spend the end of the year thinking about goals for next year.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 17, 2019

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:justpost: this thread isn't supposed to just be for people with high incomes, so it's a shame that it's turned out that way!

In all honesty, though I am starting to make an decent income, I find myself just browsing on here and not posting because so many peoples goals are "Make net worth 120k to 150k" and "Save up 25K in savings this year alone" and I don't even make 25k a year. It is a little discouraging and at times feels like it is just people bragging.

Maybe come 2020, I will post more my little successes with my medium - low income.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The first time I posted in one of these threads I believe I was making 13 dollars an hour and I had like 41k in student loan debt.

:justpost:

noted.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

DrNewton posted:

In all honesty, though I am starting to make an decent income, I find myself just browsing on here and not posting because so many peoples goals are "Make net worth 120k to 150k" and "Save up 25K in savings this year alone" and I don't even make 25k a year. It is a little discouraging and at times feels like it is just people bragging.

Maybe come 2020, I will post more my little successes with my medium - low income.

Pauper posting pact?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

DrNewton posted:

A bunch of it is bragging or at least celebrating with like-minded people, since it's typically not something you can do with IRL people. That being said, please do post anyway! The community here wants people to succeed, and we're all game for cheering everyone along regardless of $20K or $200K as long as they're being GWM. It's way harder to be GWM when you make < $25K than it is when you make $Guillotine, so IMO you succeeding in hitting your goals will be loving awesome to read. :)

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
End of year update:

Increase emergency fund to $12,100. I had a error in my spreadsheet where I counted an additional paycheck in December, which was the basis for the $12,100 goal. Despite that I came pretty close and will finish the year with $11,530

Increase taxable investments to $74,900 Exceeded. There are still a few open market days in the year, but right now my taxable accounts are valued at $78,400.

Increase net worth to $320k.Fell short due to the overall real estate market in Connecticut being kind of crappy, will finish the year at $314,000

Increase retirement (401k + IRA's) to $74,000. Exceeded, now valued at $81,130 combined. On track to top off my and my wife's IRA's in early January 2020. I only contribute 6% to my 401k because my investment options absolutely suck, but max out our IRA's every year

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

2018 was.....bad. Stupidly leased a car, put down a deposit on a new construction home, and now need to replace some savings. The worst is that at the end of the year, it feels my job situation is not great. That will be my number one priority starting ASAP. I won't be as aggressive with my debt payments as I could be, as I want to continue rebuilding savings and add more to our emergency fund (4 months currently) just in case. IF my position is eliminated OR we don't feel comfortable, we will walk away from the house. Even if we can't get our deposit back, I'd rather that than be saddled with a mortgage with only one of us working.

2019 Goals
1. Stabilize employment
2. Rebuild savings to $15k
3. Pay down final student loan to $7500

That's going to be it. My stretch goal is to avoid any additional lines of credit and to reign in spending on the house if we move forward.

I can do my end of year update now since nothing will change in the next few days...

1. Fine. Not where I want to be, but whatever.
2. Fail on this one. With the house we weren't quite able to get it back to where we want. This is goal #1 for next year.
3. My last student loan is officially down to $7460. Goal for next year is to cut it in half. I want it paid off before I'm 40

We knew this year would be tough, but thankfully we didn't put ourselves in too far of a hole. Any 0% APR purchases for the house have already been paid off, and thanks to the market gains and equity in our home, our net worth has gone from $128k in January to $256k.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Happiness Commando posted:

2018 was good. 2019 will be better:
  • Save 51% of my gross pay between IRA, 401k, HSA, and taxable accounts.
  • Get a raise at work
In 2018 I saved 42% of my gross, so 51% is a bit of a stretch, but I think I can make it happen. When my annual review happens in March-July-ish, I will be asking for a raise too. I've been at the company for less than a year, so I don't know if they do CoL raises, but I don't expect I will find out without asking.

Since today was my last paycheck of the year, I can tally up all my savings. In short, I both did and didn't meet each of my goals

Work does give out CoL raises and doesn't give out other out of band raises :argh: And then in September-ish, I said something that impressed the CEO and got awarded an out of band raise :agesilaus: It's unclear if the out of band raise replaces my next CoL raise in March, I won't know until it happens or doesn't.

I didn't do a weighted average, so the percentage saved is a little under reported, but I managed to save only 38.6% of my gross income this year. Two things contributed to that: I spent a fair amount of money at Burning Man, and I spent a significantly smaller but still sizable amount of money on an AirBnB along with meals and incidentals for a bunch of friends and I to hang out for my birthday weekend. Both were good with life. If I hadn't spent that money, I would have been right around 42% again.

So that's the did/didn't get a raise and the didn't for savings. The did is that Grandma died and left all of her grandchildren a sizable inheritance. She paid for Burning Man and the birthday weekend, as it were. If I include that in the figures, I saved 125.6% of my gross. Well, my gross salary. 67.2% of my gross income. Which is great. And she was a very nice woman who had a great life and it would be nice if she was still alive :(

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 21, 2019

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Sloth Life posted:

Is there a financial goals thread for poor people? I'm a UK poor regardless of financial mishap and it is something I will not be able to change, but I do want to get a better handle on things. I feel kinda lost along side computer touchers and VPs.

I've been lurking/occasionally posting in BFC since I was earning precisely 55p/hr above minimum wage (lucky me); in fact the kick that drove me to figure out How To Money Better was learning that a dickhead colleague was earning a pound an hour more than me, same job title and same office, for doing half the work. So, spite :v:

Luckily I sort of burned spite as fuel a year or two back, so I'm doing a little better now, but I totally understand where you're coming from. If you're looking for a beginning, or just a 'how am I doing / what could I do better' MOT, though, the UK personal finance thread's a great place to start.

I should really do Financial Goals for 2020, I've been on autopilot long enough - I'll take a look at my figures this weekend.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

December Update!

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $173k :aaaaa:

God drat, this was a good year for retirement accounts.

Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $36.5k

I'm pretty bummed I didn't meet this goal. I had some unexpected medical expenses this year and chose to use the house fund rather than the emergency fund. Ah well.

Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $12k

Woo.

Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $2.8

Woo.

Goals for 2020? Hmm...

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

EOY update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck Missed
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore Missed
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th Talked to my brother while he was in town for Christmas. We made a high-level plan and did some research. Budgeting 10k total (5k for each of us). That should cover the 3 of us and then some.

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home Took some days off around Christmas to spend with family. I'd consider this goal hit - I missed a few months but made it up in others. Definitely got my worth of "unlimited" vacation.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work Missed
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids Made progress, but didn't complete.
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

2020 will be focused on consolidating 401k's and HSA's, continuing savings rates, budget for a family trip to Disney, and tackling the personal goals that keep getting pushed off.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
ok lets see how we did here

Doccykins posted:

EOY 2018
- ZERO Debt, paid off credit cards and student loan, no car or mortgage, paying towards my girlfriend's mortgage with very mate's rates rent
- Upped pension to 10.5% of pretax salary with my employer adding 7%-and-a-bit on top
- 3 month emergency fund in a liquid account earning 2.25% interest (it's technically a Help-to-Buy Cash ISA as I don't own any property)
- Started to build a short term savings fund for Nice Things
- £75k net worth (still just about made it no thanks to the market), most of which is tucked away in pensions at age 31 and 11/12ths

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

:pcgaming: Zero Consumer Debt :buddy:
:frog: Hit and miss, I am definitely heavier at the end of this year than last though so probably a failed goal all in all
:pcgaming: Calling opening a win, opened a Vanguard S&S and contributed £3,750, with growth it's at £4k :buddy:
:frogbon: Not quite £6k but short term savings took priority, would have been £6k if I wasn't holding the other cash account :buddy:
:frog: Total failure, the issue is I like the work but the pay just isn't what it should be being in the charity sector. Will try again in the new year
:pcgaming: £100k baby, this is the one I am most proud of and managed to hang onto the gains through the Christmas shop. Great base to build on at the age of 32 :buddy:

That was my smilie infested humblebrag trip report diary 2019 thanks for reading :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i made thrad: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908539