Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Getting in under the wire.

drainpipe posted:

2018 went pretty well. Maxed all our tax-advantaged retirement accounts for a savings rate of ~50-60%. Will aim to do the same this year.

2019 Goals:

Finance:
1. Max 457 will be on autopilot
2. Max Roth IRA will be done on 1/2
3. Max Wife's Roth IRA will be done on 1/2
4. Max 403b will be done on autopilot (maybe even partially Roth 403b depending on whether certain income streams pan out)

Personal:
5. Make use of Southwest companion pass and take a vacation (eyeing Utah national parks + Vegas)
6. Learn webdev for fun (also possible develop to side hustle?)
7. Maybe have a wedding? We had a quick city hall civil ceremony last year. We've been meaning to have an actual wedding party for our friends, but ball has not even begun rolling on it.

I stopped posting updates on this since it's all autopilot, but here's the end of year wrap up. I ended up again in the 50-60% savings range. All the finance goals were met on autopilot (the best kind of boring). I don't do net worth goals, at least year to year, but I will say that the market being on a tear has gotten me past the half-way point to FI as my NW has increased from ~9.5x my annual spend to ~13.5x. I'm not champing at the bit to get to FI, but getting past the 50% milestone was pretty sweet. Who knows, maybe the market will tank in 2020, and I'll be able to go past 50% again!

As for the personal goals, we did #5, but instead of Utah, it ended up being an extended trip to California for a wedding. What really made the trip was that it was the weekend the east coast had the monstrous heat wave. That was probably the highlight of the year. I kinda stopped #6 for most of the year, but picked it back up this last month, so we'll see. #7 was a complete dud, but there's always next year!

Overall, 2019 was great in terms of finance and alright/good in terms of personal.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU