Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Good-Natured Filth posted:

[*] Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck

not sure if you can get in on this or if your employer has to do it but we are using fidelity for HSA and it's great - has automated investing, good tools, and a great fund selection

it was helpful after HSABank got bought out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Mad Wack posted:

not sure if you can get in on this or if your employer has to do it but we are using fidelity for HSA and it's great - has automated investing, good tools, and a great fund selection

it was helpful after HSABank got bought out

I can open and use any HSA I want to as long as they support individuals. It's just a matter of taking the time to do so. I had considered Fidelity, but heard they kinda jumped the gun when they released their HSA plan. Many people reported that the website seemed half-baked. Have the launch issues been remedied?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I can open and use any HSA I want to as long as they support individuals. It's just a matter of taking the time to do so. I had considered Fidelity, but heard they kinda jumped the gun when they released their HSA plan. Many people reported that the website seemed half-baked. Have the launch issues been remedied?

It's definitely a lightweight site and app (it's integrated for me with the 401K website) but in terms of what you can actually do with the account it's been a better experience than the last four HSA provider sites I have had - is there a specific feature you're looking for?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I use BenefitWallet for my hSA which was the company default option, and I'm looking for a better option myself. BenefitWallet is very clunky, especially when it comes to transfers and investing.

End of March update for myself:

quote:

1) Max out Roth IRA contributions of $6,000
2) Max out HSA contributions of $3,500
3) Continue to max out 401(k) contributions of $19,000

New goals for this year:
4) Take girlfriend to Africa. Gonna burn some points/miles so this shouldn't be too expensive
5) Sell motorcycle and apply to car loan balance
1, 2, and 3 are all on auto-pilot. I need to adjust #3 because my bonus amount and subsequent 401(k) deferral was different, but I'll correct that in the next pay period.

4: she wanted to go to SFO instead, so off we go in May to SanFran, Monterey, Big Sur, and Napa.
5: in progress. Battery died in winter, but that will be remedied this weekend and it will go on Craigslist shortly after it gets a bath.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic posted:

By Feb:
- save up 400$ for bonsai auction and keep first CC balance zeroed, If that card has a balance no auction allowed. Balance transfers to my other card are not allowed.

By March:
- zero CC balances! ZERO
- determine whether a refi on student loans would be a good idea or not

By May:
- if roommates are moving out, save up 3k for potential moving and deposit expenses
- if roomates are all signing the lease, destroy PLUS loan for good

Q1 check in:

Feb goals - DONE. tax return ended up covering this entirely, which was nice. Spent 450 at the auction.
March goals - mixed results. zeroed the one card, failed on the other due to an emergency vet visit and general budgeting bad. Investigated student loan refi and discovered I'd be saving only 3k and paying off like 5 months early, in exchange for losing my income-based repayment and all that, so decided not to bother and continue with current goals.
for May: lol I'm the one leaving, signed a lease on a nicer, cheaper place and move May 1st. Instead of the plus loan I'm going to save security deposit and some moving costs but this will be way less than 3k.

Right now it's looking like I'll be credit debt free by this weekend. Also I have a wedding coming up (NOT MINE) in May so need to remember to budget for that!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

It's definitely a lightweight site and app (it's integrated for me with the 401K website) but in terms of what you can actually do with the account it's been a better experience than the last four HSA provider sites I have had - is there a specific feature you're looking for?

Mostly just want something that is usable and allows me to invest my money instead of sitting in a lovely 2% account like my company's provider. Minimal fees is a plus.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 3, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Another Q1 in the books, it's been a great 3 months for us in 2019.

Current Liabilities -
- Student loans all at usurious rates, but ALL eligible for forgiveness through public service and qualifying payments. A student loan recertification gently caress-up tried to jack my monthly payment to $4,000 but it got fixed, the money was refunded and my servicer is trying to unfuck themselves.
- Approximately 29 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. I think we're going to sell at or around month 48.
- Two car loans.

By end of Q1:
- Fund an investment into my friend's private company.
- Re-certify wife and myself for PSLF.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives! My son was born two weeks early with presumed neonatal sepsis and is in the ICU. Thank God for Cadillac health insurance. We've budgeted for the copay on both the surgery and his NICU stay.
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days (my next promotion) by July 1. Another colleague will be starting this instead of me, but I've been told I'm "next up." Oh well, bigger things on our plate for now.

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have candidates for this position, and are interviewing in the next six weeks.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. Automatic.
- House downpayment fund to $120,000. 75K and counting.

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Have a lead on one, but no follow-up yet.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt. So far, so good.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, uncertain of the timeline. Will begin January 1, 2020.

Personal Goals
- One muscle up lol, not yet anyway.
- Thirty (30) new books read. On track with 10 books read thusly.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine Not on track, I'm probably only going to manage 100-120 on the year.
- Cook 72 meals Not on track, I might make half of this.
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual) Not on track, I might make it to 275, 350 and 400 though!
- Coparenting goals regarding night time feeding with coparent. Off to a great start.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hope all goes well with your son, friend.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

+1

NICU care is so great and also still so scary. Internet hugs to you and your wife.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

moana posted:

+1

NICU care is so great and also still so scary. Internet hugs to you and your wife.

My wife is actually a neonatologist so it adds a whole new creepy layer of "I've seen how bad this can get" anxiety to it.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The Experiment posted:

2018 was a good year for me to sock away money for savings and investments. A shame about the stock market performance at the latter part of the year but it's not going to change my goals one bit. So here they are:

1) Put away at least 30% of my gross income in savings and investments
2) Max out my 401k
3) Max out my Roth IRA
4) Max out my HSA
5) Acquire no new non-emergency debt

My current net worth, even with the stock market hit is $265,000. A stretch goal would be seeing it increase to $333,333.33 by the end of 2019, which would be feasible even if the stock market only partially bounces back.

How I intend on making this work:

1) Minimize expenses. Go back to my college way of thinking, "Am I still going to use this six months from now?"
2) No new impulse book purchases. I have a backlog of over 50 large books I bought on my Kindle.
3) No new video game purchases. I have over 30 Switch games that I haven't even taken the shrink wrap off of.
4) Dine out only once a month. Make it meaningful by going to some place I really enjoy going to or some place I haven't tried before.
5) Instead of flying to another country for a vacation, visit local landmarks, parks, trails, etc. Get to know where I live better.

I think this is all reasonable and feasible, I'd say.

As an update, essentially all my goals are in the gutter. My net worth has grown to nearly $310,000 but that’s thanks to stock market performance and not much else. I’m near my stretch goal but not due to any financial discipline on my end. I’m hoping to get that rectified starting tomorrow.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I'll be moving back to live with the family after living by myself for a while, and have saved a reasonable amount by myself. This will allow me to save approximately 70% of my post tax income.

The goal will be to save at least 70% of every post tax paycheck, with saving at least 30k being on the books. There will be some expenses I cant get around (car rego, insurance, tooth crowns/root canals) but even with these I should be able to make it. The long term goal is to save for a house, which I'll probably buy within 4-5 years. It won't be expensive, and I'll aim to have it paid off before I'm 40 (currently 31).

Edit: I'll also be salary sacrificing $100 per fortnight into my super, which my employer currently pays about $11.5k into. Once the house is paid I'll max out my super to 25k.

Update.

Super salary sacrifice is a no go, unrealistic to have so much in savings. Needed that amount for bills and repairs.

Otherwise, I've saved up $10k within 3 and a bit months of moving home. Not bad.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
e: wrong thread. durr

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 26, 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

2019: instead of paying my landlord the back rent he's hounding me for, invest it into an AR-15 and never pay rent again

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

2019: instead of paying my landlord the back rent he's hounding me for, invest it into an AR-15 and never pay rent again
Do you have your grappling hooks and razor wire?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My wife is actually a neonatologist so it adds a whole new creepy layer of "I've seen how bad this can get" anxiety to it.

You haven't posted since this so I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you're all doing well over on your end of the computer screen.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You haven't posted since this so I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you're all doing well over on your end of the computer screen.

moana posted:

+1

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sincere thanks to everyone thinking of us! Despite the scary start, the boy was able to go home after a week of antibiotics nearly back at birth weight (8#3oz) and has been a great, anxiety free baby since then. We've been very busy with the newborn (and shopping on Amazon.com lol) so I haven't had much time to post, but I'm just returning to the office following a glorious 4 weeks of paternity leave that renewed and reinvigorated me. We are getting some sleep, his big sister is (slowly) adjusting to the new normal at home, and we're enormously grateful things went as well as they did following the initial jitters.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
gently caress yeah man, that is awesome! Also it's funny that going back to work will make it easier to :justpost:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Anesthesiology as a profession has a reputation for long hours of tedium punctuated by seconds of blistering, white-knuckled excitement.

https://gomerblog.com/2015/03/free-flap-surgery/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Sincere thanks to everyone thinking of us! Despite the scary start, the boy was able to go home after a week of antibiotics nearly back at birth weight (8#3oz) and has been a great, anxiety free baby since then. We've been very busy with the newborn (and shopping on Amazon.com lol) so I haven't had much time to post, but I'm just returning to the office following a glorious 4 weeks of paternity leave that renewed and reinvigorated me. We are getting some sleep, his big sister is (slowly) adjusting to the new normal at home, and we're enormously grateful things went as well as they did following the initial jitters.

i agree that access to healthcare and parental leave are pretty great. here's a financial goal: decrease the amount of shopping you do with retailers that aggressively fight any attempt by their workers to secure access to those things

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Anesthesiology as a profession has a reputation for long hours of tedium punctuated by seconds of blistering, white-knuckled excitement.

ABCs... Always Bring Crosswords (or cookies when starving student!)

Edit: for financial content, buy all clothing and as many accessories/toys as possible at Once Upon A Child or other secondhand store. Kids clothes are a rip

Edit2: 4 weeks gently caress you. I got nothing each child, and presented tumor board while my wife started labor

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 25, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i agree that access to healthcare and parental leave are pretty great. here's a financial goal: decrease the amount of shopping you do with retailers that aggressively fight any attempt by their workers to secure access to those things

The Amazon bill is nothing compared with the Costco bill, but point taken.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Great to hear all is well with your newborn EAT FASTER!!!!!! :)

End of April

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

:getin: Zero Consumer Debt
:froggonk: 8 days this month, not as good as March
:getin: S&S at £2k, £1,900 paid in, >10% Rate of Return since start of the year :homebrew:
:frogon: Boss is meeting the Director on Friday to discuss my remuneration
:getin: >£85k

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 30, 2019

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What I'm reading is that they're offering flap surgery, for free?! :getin:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:homebrew: April Update! :homebrew:

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $149.9k
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $27.4k
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $10.8k
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $960
Lose 8 pounds. -4 pounds

My grandma gave me a bunch of money but specified I had to buy a brand new car with it. It wasn't enough for a brand new car. Trading in my lovely car, plus a few grand of my own money and taking out a small loan (7.5k). I guess it's nice I will have a car that will last forever, but I could be house shopping instead!

Sigh. Crazy and rich grandparents are such a thing.

It does sound like I have a 2k grant coming my way in the next month or two which is nice!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

April's books are closed, what a crazy month. Some new spending, some unanticipated challenges, but no great setbacks.

Current Liabilities -
- Student loan SNAFU is "certified unfucked" but I'm still waiting on them to adjust their end of the calculation to match.
- Approximately 30 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. I think we're going to sell at or around month 48.
- Two car loans.

By end of Q1:
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives! Baby two is home and healthy, our medical bills are settled and he is thankfully experiencing no ongoing health concerns as a consequence of his exciting arrival.
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days (my next promotion) by July 1. Another colleague will be starting this instead of me, the timeline is going to be pushed back, but I did get another medical directorship and a slight raise out of the deal.

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have candidates for this position, and are interviewing for this person to begin before July.

By end of Q4:

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 87K and counting. Doubt I'm going to hit this with our expenses coming up in the setting of the new kiddo.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. Will begin January 1, 2020.

Personal Goals
- One muscle up Banded muscle up achieved for the first time ever during my month of paternity. Feels good man.
- Thirty (30) new books read. On track with 12 books read YTD.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine Not on track, I'm probably only going to manage 100-120 on the year.
- Cook 72 meals Back on track, I did quite a bit of cooking during my month of paternity and especially now with the new baby.
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual) Not on track, I might make it to 275, 350 and 400 though!
- Coparenting goals regarding night time feeding with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The Amazon bill is nothing compared with the Costco bill, but point taken.

I was fifty/fifty serious/busting your balls, but thanks. Costco is good in just about every way amazon is not.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

April update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th I was supposed to create a shared doc that we can work off of, but didn't do it.

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home Took 2 days off to go on a quick mid-week trip with the wife to see Justin Timberlake in a nearby city. It was a lot of fun to spend time with her while the kids were at my parents'. A much needed bit of relaxation.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids We sidetracked house projects by getting our whole house painted. That was well worth the time and money.
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

2018 was a good year financially for me. Paid off my student loans, got a decent raise, and started serious savings for retirement. I'm nowhere near the level some of you guys are at, but that's ok.

2019 Goals:
1) Max Roth IRA Just deposited $500 bringing my total deposits for the year to $4,500. Hoping to just add the last $1500 at the end of this month, since it's a 3 paycheck month
2) Up 401k from 10% to at least 13%. Stretch is 15% but we'll see what kind of raise I get this year.Same as previously. Waiting to complete 1 before working on this
3) Get Emergency fund to $12,500 $11,000
4) Get house down payment fund to $5000 $3350
5) Get car down payment fund to $3000 (Not planning on getting a car for a few years yet, but good to start saving early) $2,750
6) Keep fast food spending under $175 for the year (Currently at $228 for 2018, obviously not breaking the bank, still something to strive for).At $62.30 for the year. Going to be a lot easier after finding out the owners of the two places I frequented the most for lunch are huge rear end holes and decided to stop giving them my business
7) Continue no revolving credit card debt.Check

In other news, I got a bigger raise than I was expecting or was going to ask for. That will help with some of my goals. I also just purchased an engagement ring, so I should probably start a "wedding" line to my budget. (I'm very excited.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BAE OF PIGS posted:

In other news, I got a bigger raise than I was expecting or was going to ask for. That will help with some of my goals. I also just purchased an engagement ring, so I should probably start a "wedding" line to my budget. (I'm very excited.)

Congratulations!! :toot:

But the bride's parents pay for the wedding so no need to budget

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Irritated Goat posted:

Financial Goals for 2019:
Create a solid emergency fund: In Progress
Pay off as many bills as possible: In Progress
Start looking into Roth\long term investment since my job 401k has no matching.
Continue adding to my son's savings account for college. In Progress

Personal Goals:
Lose weight. I'm tired of being a fat rear end and losing my last parent puts the fear of death into me.
Enjoy having less stress and anxiety about our financial spot as a family. :unsmith: DONE

I've been busy since March.

Paid off my credit cars and Car Loans
Working my way through medical debt
Got some term life in case I cack it early. Still plan on having actual money for later to help with post death expenses afterwards regardless.
Have 1 full month of emergency money and adding more as I go every week
Putting a decent chunk of money in my son's savings account very soon and then making a per paycheck addition every week

I feel great about my financial spot. I can be doing SO much more but it's a start towards a much better life for my family.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

2018 was a good year financially for me. Paid off my student loans, got a decent raise, and started serious savings for retirement. I'm nowhere near the level some of you guys are at, but that's ok.

2019 Goals:
1) Max Roth IRA Done. Got paid this morning (hell yeah for 3 paycheck months) and threw the last $500 bucks in there. Put $2000 in during the month.
2) Up 401k from 10% to at least 13%. Stretch is 15% but we'll see what kind of raise I get this year.Upped to 12%. Gonna keep it here for a bit and reassess.
3) Get Emergency fund to $12,500 Up to $11,325
4) Get house down payment fund to $5000 Up to $4,350. This is where I'm going to be throwing the majority of my savings for the rest of the year. I'm actually hoping to hit $5k by next month.
5) Get car down payment fund to $3000 (Not planning on getting a car for a few years yet, but good to start saving early) Done! After having to get some work done on my car, (and working on it myself to save some money)I might be throwing a bit more money this way. It'd would be nice to have a car that's less than a decade old at some point in my life. It's still in good working condition though and I just had a bunch of the more expensive scheduled maintenance done a few months back so it should honestly be good for a few more years.
6) Keep fast food spending under $175 for the year (Currently at $228 for 2018, obviously not breaking the bank, still something to strive for).Still at $62.50, didn't spend any money on fast food this month
7) Continue no revolving credit card debt. Still going.

Financially I'm in a much stronger spot at this point in the year than I thought I would be, though I feel like I've been stressing over money. Probably because I've had to make several large purchases this month. They've all been budgeted for, but it's still tough sometimes seeing those big numbers on bills.

I'm being sent to the Chicago area in a few weeks to become a repair tech for some medical equipment we use at work. My girlfriend is applying to jobs all over the country, and while I don't want to me, I know her job opportunities are limited so I'll go with her. Taking this class will make my ability to get a job in my industry a ton easier if we do end up moving, so while I am taking this class to help out at work for now, I'm also taking it to make sure I have an easier time getting a job if relocation is required.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic posted:

Q1 check in:

Feb goals - DONE. tax return ended up covering this entirely, which was nice. Spent 450 at the auction.
March goals - mixed results. zeroed the one card, failed on the other due to an emergency vet visit and general budgeting bad. Investigated student loan refi and discovered I'd be saving only 3k and paying off like 5 months early, in exchange for losing my income-based repayment and all that, so decided not to bother and continue with current goals.
for May: lol I'm the one leaving, signed a lease on a nicer, cheaper place and move May 1st. Instead of the plus loan I'm going to save security deposit and some moving costs but this will be way less than 3k.

Right now it's looking like I'll be credit debt free by this weekend. Also I have a wedding coming up (NOT MINE) in May so need to remember to budget for that!

oh hey thread what's up it's me again, I quit my job, moved, and got a new job so uh, goals might be blown? I pay 300/mo less in rent and got a 11% ish raise, paid my deposit and moving costs in cash and budgeted for them, so :toot: Once I start the new posish in June I'll be playing catchup on my goal items, the new budget means I can get back up to speed quickly if I don't start spending like an idiot.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

End of May

:smugdog: Zero consumer debt, even after going on holiday this month
:regd09: Went on vacation this month (though technically not eating out for lunch at the office :chaostrump:)
:regd09: £2.2k in the ISA, falling behind a little but I was planning to do that with holiday budget - will be making up for this in June/July and should be at £3.5k by end of July to be back on course
:regd09: No dice, updated CV and starting the search for more figgies
:smugdog: >£86k no thanks to number go down but still on target

Long term goals are tough!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:homebrew: May Update! :homebrew:

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $149.7k
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $28.5k
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $11.1k
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $1.2k
Lose 8 pounds. -4 pounds

I didn't get the grant on some lame technicality.

My spending has been rough. I need to chill out over the summer.

Still making progress, but it is unlikely I will make the house fund goal.

Blah.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

May update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home Took a week and a half and went to the gulf side of Florida with the family. I left my laptop at home and mostly had my phone away from me. It was amazing!
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Current State
- Wife's student loans: 245k left at 5% $185k left at 2.6%
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 4 years
- 1 car loan, 28k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP Done
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP - On track. Will get paid off in the next few months.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA On autopilot
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house) Formally it's at 30k, slowly building up.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car

Some updates from earlier this year. The biggest thing that happened in our lives is that my wife's dad passed away almost a year after her mom passed away suddenly. We got married in-between. Her share of the inheritance is approximately 200-300k, which is going to go towards her student loans, even though financially it doesn't make the most sense. :shrug:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 11, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

May's books are closed. Steady as she goes.

Current Liabilities -
- Student loan SNAFU is "certified unfucked." Now waiting to see how my wife's repayment has been analyzed.
- Approximately 32 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. I think we're going to sell at or around month 48.
- Two car loans.

By end of Q1:

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives! Baby two is home and healthy, our medical bills are settled and he is thankfully experiencing no ongoing health concerns as a consequence of his exciting arrival.
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days (my next promotion) by July 1. Another colleague will be starting this instead of me, the timeline is going to be pushed back, but I did get another medical directorship and a significant raise out of the deal.

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have candidates for this position, and are interviewing for this person to begin before July.

By end of Q4:

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case, but it paid what two cases did for last year.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 87K and counting. Volatile right now because it's held in equities. Would make up the remainder with the equity in our house if we sold today.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. Will begin January 1, 2020.

Personal Goals
- One muscle up Banded muscle up achieved for the first time ever during my month of paternity. Feels good man.
- Thirty (30) new books read. On track with 14 books read YTD.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine Not on track, I'm probably only going to manage 100 on the year.
- Cook 72 meals Back on track.
- Coparenting goals regarding night time feeding with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously. As did buying a Snoo, the baby loving loves it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Towards the end of Q2..

1. Pay off student loans: 125k 94k 61k left! Business is up this year and we are sorta short staffed so this is chugging. Might be able to finish these off by November :ohdear:

2. Increase 529 to 600/child/month done

3. Everything else basically on autopilot. Goal gross savings/debt payoff rate of 50%. My estimate is 58% of gross so far and then ruining it for our 10 year anniversary next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Q2 Update

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out our 403b and backdoor Roth IRAs On autopilot
- Contribute $700/mo$1000/mo each to our 457s Got a raise and 2 kid daycare much less expensive than I thought!
- Roll over old 403b accounts into current one Done.
- Get current 403b provider to add a low cost total bond market fund On the back burner for now
- Open 529 for kid #2, save $1k/mo per kid to each 529, maybe consider splitting between 529 and UGMA account for more flexibility Autofunding 529s for now for both
- Save $1k/mo for house maintenance/repairs On autopilot, but had to dip into it to replace the dishwasher, and see the homeownership thread for another large upcoming bill...
- Save $1k/mo for planned car purchase/house remodeling in 5ish years Still going
- Maintain 3 months expenses in HYSA Remains well over including house savings funds
- Annual recertification of PSLF in August/Sept
- Revise estate documents to include kid #2 Done
- No new debt
- Furnish dining room Done

Personal Goals
- Implement financial literacy curriculum for medical trainees Giving talk at GME orientation next week, 6 sessions for the year set up
- Publish one 1st author paper or similar Maybe a perspective piece/review on residency prep courses? We'll see
- Get more protected time for teaching Got some time for a coaching program and for teaching ultrasound to residents
- Schedule a regular date night with wife, probably some time after maternity leave Pending, at what age is it ok to leave an infant with a babysitter again?
- Get back into doing squats and deadlifts, avoid throwing out back for the 6th time Doing 5/3/1, imbalances remain but slightly better, a bit slower than hoped due to recent heavy clinical schedule/missed weeks