Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Woolie should look into a more Naruto focused channel, a consistent brand is the bedrock of any good channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is, but more people know it from GL than Ashita no Joe which is what GL pulled it from

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Hey, if you guys have any suggestions for SBFP LPs people should watch and why, please post them here and I'll edit my second post accordingly. I have some ideas but I'll be traveling for Xmas and it might take me a while to properly format stuff.

I also need to do a second pass on the OP.

Omikron
Afro Samurai 2
Deadly Premonition
Bully
LA Noire
D4
Disaster Report
Metal Wolf Chaos
NBA 2K16 Story Mode
Ride to Hell
Shadow the Hedgehog
Silent Hill Downpour and Homecoming
Tony Hawk Undeground 1
Prison Break

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looking forward to driving an hour to a theater to see HF2 in march

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do like that the last movie came down to the villain growing a strain of hyper weed

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tsukihime was cool, but I began to like its characters a lot more when Melty Blood happened. Fate and KNK are very much my poo poo though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked the Dante's Inferno mini lp thing he did because it was fun going through that game and having him point out neat info while playing that lame rear end game, but I can't say I think Matt's offhand comments trying to be humorous are that good compared to just blunt statements he'll make which are actually kind of funny sometimes. The Fallout 76 video was especially lame because it just kind of like... said poo poo that had already been heavily publicized by everyone? It felt really weird to do a video on something that recent, but I guess you gotta get the hits in while they're fresh?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most modern fighting games have done away with anything more complex than Dragon Punch motion and even then that's being phased out in some games. This is not to mention 3D fighters like Tekken that don't have motions like that outside of fringe cases like the Mishimas or whatever the hell Ivy's dumb thing is in SC. Like the complaining about motions being too complex has always been silly to me because unless poo poo is like the Geese's pretzel motion or having carnage scissors input on regular moves like some of the poo poo Slayer does in guilty gear they never really have been that difficult, but you are being catered to in more modern games.

Belgian Waffle posted:

What, no, you would just have a fireball button that only throws fireballs. Rising Thunder or DBZF are examples of this.

Do you mean Ki Blasts? Because that's just another normal, Fighterz has motions for its special moves, they're just painfully easy to do.

Also Rising Thunder sucks has FADC in it, one of the most newbie unfriendly mechanics in fighting games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Adding more buttons to fighting games don't make them more intuitive and if anything it creates more restrictions in some cases. Like, what do you even do for six-button fighters like SF? Have two specials per character and one super that you press two buttons for? Do you reduce the number of normals, so you can add even more buttons that have incredibly specific functions in their place and create incredibly bad control schemes? What do you do about anime fighters like Persona, Dragon Ball, Guilty Gear, etc. that have an abundance of mechanics that are usually mapped to another button as an alternative to their normal button combinations? You just have them remember the button combination which creates the problem you are trying to prevent? Like, I'm not trying to slam you for your suggestion, but it really feels like you don't know what goes into a fighting game on any level to be suggesting this like it is a complete cure all and people are going to suddeny "get" fighting games because you've done this. A fighting game needs to be built around this concept like Fantasy Strike and Rising Thunder and all other fighting games are established and have their dedicated playerbases that have come to accept how these games are. Fighterz is not one of these games, there are still motions and in the special button is a character specific button that does different things and also has motions on it for stuff like beams and various other things the characters do.

Belgian Waffle posted:

Well, yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. I also think it's interesting that in the context of a game with a dedicated fireball button, you refer to them as "just another normal," when they wouldn't be in almost any other fighter.

This especially makes me feel like you don't understand. If you can't tell the difference between a ki blast in Dragon Ball and a hadoken in Street Fighter enough to call them the same thing I really feel like you should not be making these suggestions.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 23, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have ducked out of both of Matt's top 10 videos, but can totally get behind 6 hours of Pat being awful at games for 10 minutes of comedy i get

Andrast posted:

How does the loving sbf thread manage to get so vitriolic

Don't worry i'm back to make it worse

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MagusDraco posted:

Woolie's new "let's get into fighting games" intro is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-JUCpEVP4

Alright thst's pretty rad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Imagine being so self serious that you allow the mean leprechaun man to hold power over you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Somehow I just think using video games and anime to condemn or criticize an entire culture is loving stupid in any circumstance, but maybe that's just me.

HoboTech posted:

While we're at it, hey Japan, enough with the little girls. Thanks.

Yeah man, Japan's got the little girl problem.

Japannnnnnnn

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 23, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

The Rurouni Kenshin dude literally got caught with CP, got fined two grand and is still publishing his manga.

I think there's a marked difference between saying "moe exists so all Japanese people are fuckin' pedos" and "Japan is still behind the USA in terms of progressive discourse and criticism". I don't think you can argue against the latter, and it DOES show in their media, like it or not, that's a fair gauge of cultural standards. It's not taboo any more - and I can relate that to recent LGBTQ representation in Brazilian media - but some stuff slides compared to their NA equivalent. You can still go around calling people "faggots" in a jokey manner, chanting it out loud in soccer stadiums and outright using variations of the word as a goddamn presidential candidate here, FFS.

You are absolutely correct and I can agree with most of that. I can agree with using media as a lens to see into a culture and get an idea of what they might be like or using to expose yourself. But beyond the fact I think using solely video games to try and analyze what a culture is beyond base level exposure, the ignoring of multiple Japanese games that don't do this poo poo and in some cases treat LGBT characters infinitely better than some western games do is ridiculous. Going "It's Japan" when an Atlus game comes out, but multiple other games come out alongside it and respect their characters much more than Atlus games do comes off as incredibly lovely and lazy to me. It tells me you are oversimplifying a problem that may be bigger than you think it is and might be localized not within the culture, but in the developer/writers.

It's especially a really poisonous mentality that I see perpetuate a lot of English speaking sections of the internet and especially here on SA and the fact that Woolie and Pat, who have been to Japan even if they were there as tourists, still loving do it despite the bevy of the media they enjoy is Japanese, is super lovely to me. If you wanna use the media to have a discussion about the culture, that's fine and I can see something worth talking about there.

HoboTech posted:

I won't say that "the entire nation of Japan is cool with x", because that's dumb as poo poo. There are, however, larger trends and attitudes towards things within ANY society, and when talking about those societies as a whole, I think it's okay to discuss these trends without it painting the whole country as a bunch of bigots.

This is fine and if that was your original intent, then I apologize for being reductive and lovely about it. You should probably know though the more bigoted Japanese people tend to be olds and younger people who get asked tend to be generally in favor of LGBT relationships.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have one more thing to say about pat and woolie

I am personally OFFENDED by their DMC opinions, that's it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1101039632064630784

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Im gonna wait until I play that game and finish it so i can kneejerk judge their gameplay like I didn't just get through being a scrub at it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

people are overly dramatic, that content is fine

It took me over a year to get through 80+ hours of lovely msq content to finally begin enjoying the game and I had to have burned through multiple movies. podcasts, and all of seinfeld to make that grind almost tolerable.

I have yet to bring together the patience of doing that poo poo again for HW even though it's shorter and I'm sure I'll love HW if i ever actually finish it.

I also learned my rotations by emalde telling me because the game does such a poor job of informing you how to be even remotely useful in raids and I'm gonna have to tell me how to do it again if I ever get back to heavensward.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god I just fuckin realized there's a new expansion coming soon too and I'm so god drat behind having not played since 2017 fuckin god

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhonne posted:

This is season 2.

Woolie saying this was the most interesting Goku was baffling to me. I assume this was before they knew that he was reusing the supers from two of the other Gokus. Also his insistence that Dragon Ball fans wanted another Goku when most of the reaction I've seen online has been largely negative.

Dragon Ball fans absolutely want other gokus. Some of the most consistent characters I have seen requested are Kid Goku from Dragon Ball and Ultra Instinct Goku as well. The reason this is getting a shitfit from some people is because the people who want new Gokus and who don't are not the same people and the latter are more vocal than the former. If you look at Reddit, you will find a ton of people who requested the two Gokus I mentioned and other lame rear end characters like Jiren. I think part of the reaction is also that this is their attempt to satisfy people who want DB Kid Goku because Bamco is weird as hell about touching anything purely related to Dragon Ball itself and they did the same thing with Xenoverse. There are definitely a group of people out there who want more Gokus though, I can confirm that and a lot of them may also be from other countries. I know one of the top Fighterz players wants SS4 Goku and a lot of Japanese players around release were requesting Base Goku and Vegeta too.

This being said, Woolie talking about this like he has any serious connection to Dragon Ball's fanbase is silly.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 20, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like I'm obligated to watch this because of how much I love Asura's Wrath, but god do I not feel like hearing another Matt/Woolie spiel about how lame the game is

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My stake in this convo is that DMC5 is cool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SgtSteel91 posted:

How does DMC5 do it?

Isn’t there some mechanic where the combat music gets added to/better the higher your combo rank? Does the easy mode there disable that or something so you can hear the SSS version of the music no matter your skill level?

Devil May Cry has a lot of ways it rewards and acknowledges how well you are doing.

The base difficulties are Human and Devil Hunter, easy and normal respectively. They are both the baseline way to play the game, the former having the most passive enemy AI and the lowest health and damage in the game. Devil Hunter everything is at a standard level where enemies are decently active and don't die to a stiff breeze except braindead scrub enemies like Empusas and Hells. These are the easiest modes to do well on and it is absurdly easy to S-Rank the missions and maintain style ranking during fights because it does not ask a lot of you. Once you beat Devil Hunter, you unlock Son of Sparda. Son of Sparda is the game's hard mode and on top of the obvious poo poo like increasing enemy stats, it changes enemy encounters. This means that the scrub enemies you fought at the start of the game, might have mid-game to late-game enemies mixed into the encounters now or every enemy in said encounter may change entirely. Not only does it offer a different method of approach in some cases, but for the characters who don't encounter these enemies it offers a different idea of thinking and attack entirely. Once you beat Son of Sparda, you unlock Dante Must Die, the hardest difficulty in the game. This is where enemies are at their most boosted, they use the Son of Sparda enemy placements, and enemies now have Devil Trigger. After a certain period of time in fighting them, enemies will permanently go into an enhanced state where it reduces both hitstun and damage on any attacks they receive. Not only does mean you have to do more, but it creates a method of play where you have to think of what enemies are most necessary to kill ASAP and how you are going to do that and what you can deal with. It is the most tasking and requires the most of the player to do it. Once you defeat those you unlock Heaven and Hell and Hell and Hell difficulties, which are gimmick difficulties where everything dies in one hit including you or the latter which is just you die in one hit.

You don't really need to push beyond the difficulties you're comfortable with if you don't want to. You get poo poo for beating them, but they are not necessities nor are you missing out if you don't unlock Super Dante which the game penalizes you for using anyways. The only thing they do to discourage you from doing anything in the game is using the Auto Assist feature, because it limits the control scheme of the game for the sake of simplicity, but if you want to do it the only thing the game does is penalize your score a small amount at the end of missions. I personally always play every difficulty in a DMC game, but that is because I am in love with Devil May Cry to the point I want to bleed the game of stuff to do and even now in DMC5 I go into training mode to do combo poo poo and fight the harder bosses to find new ways to exploit patterns or style on them. It is entirely up to the player how they want to push forward and approach the games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buy DMC5, you fucks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's so loving good I bought it 3 times

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phantasium posted:

Not even a minute into the latest DMCV video and Pat is already wrong about something.

I did a double take at this since that's exactly how I beat the secret mission

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have never thought anything of random thin strand of hair in my food nor do I think much about anything when going to a restaurant other than not making trouble for the employees and giving decent tips

Oh and eating my food

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I find it hard to give death of the author any real credence especially in a day and age of influencers and most creators being accessible through social media and other poo poo. Also having heard a number of authors, devs, artists, etc. talk about what influenced them and made them feel a certain way about the things they made has always been interesting to me and further complicates doing that poo poo.

Also it's always seemed incredibly masturbatory discussion wise to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Basically death of the author is the bitcoin of critical literary analysis

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rwby's alright btw

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Count the amount of times Matt sighs when they are playing anything that isn't MK, SF, or KI.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It turned out to be a mercy that Atlus is a dumb company

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's funny as hell, lmao

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The chat calling Woolie out for trying to do that "I KNEW THE WHOLE TIME THIS THING WOULD WORK" on the marvel stuff is a huge highlight in recent podcast memory though, I gotta say.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part 8 loving sucks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also there's honestly nothing wrong with coming to the conclusion that Josuke time-travelled and saved himself. At the same time I'd like to also think it shouldn't take extra brain power to look at it from multiple perspectives and the evidence presented to you doesn't line up with that theory or at best you don't act like it such a surefire thing. Especially with how many people like to act like it is definitely a plot hole when it is at most ambiguous for the sake of discourse and at the very least a scene about a formative experience for Josuke. I don't think anyone in the JoJo thread is against the theory itself so much as discussion of the theory is so constant and stagnant that it's just a tiresome subject that people in the thread resent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pat literally last week upon talking about the new character tried to work in a new narrative that Atlus was hiding the fact they were putting a female main character in the game and this is to say nothing about the conversation about wanting to play a pregnant teenage mc that Pat screamed to the heavens. The latter I found kind of funny personally, but I definitely saw some people here get annoyed about it. JoJo is Pat just saying incorrect poo poo having only read a wiki and Woolie having to correct him and I'm never gonna forget Woolie trying to apply some stupid personal narrative that every JoJo part is a cold-hot-cold change like that isn't proven completely wrong within the first protagonist being Jonathan loving Joestar and he was so drat sure of what he was saying too.

Even if you aren't talking about these two things, Woolie last week tried to talk about how HE KNEW all of Marvel's business decisions were back around the time of the Spider-Man deal. That EVERYONE would love The Ultimates on the big screen ignoring the ultimates is probably one of the most loathed versions of the avengers and Mark Millar is a lovely writer (The Avengers ultimately pulled from the Ultimates a decent bit, but it is absolutely changed a decent bit to actually work for general audiences). Tbh the stupid poo poo they say to some extent is a charm point, but they absolutely do say annoying poo poo without thinking about it and idk why it's so hard to understand that this upsets people especially if you're very into those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It comes off as kind of toxic and gatekeeping that these dudes with a podcast have to "earn" their rights to have opinions from some internet fan collective or else face their wrath

Edit: Like, I think a lot of their perspectives on art are acritical and reductive but ultimately so what let them have their opinion

I'm not saying they can't have their opinion but people in this thread have disagreed about a multitude of things they've said before and it's because this is the thread for loving talking about them dude. No one is robbing them of their opinions and perspectives, they will still continue to talk about dumb poo poo the way they do. I am not the loving boogeyman stealing Woolie and his lame rear end opinions on media nor is anyone else in this thread. We are here to talk about podcasters we like and the things they say whether that be good or bad. If you want me to say a nice thing too on top of the poo poo I've insulted Woolie for, I genuinely find Woolie cool in that he got out of QA and has such an interesting perspective on the crunch stuff that is being brought to light right now. I think it's cool he's one of the few fighting game guys on youtube who have more to say about games than just MK or SF.

Like regardless of all of this though, they are still influences on people whether it be you, me, or random scrubbo watching videos and buying games because they like the videos the Best Friends make. Just cause you ignore it, doesn't mean someone else is going to or wants to for that matter and it's not a matter of "HOW DARE THEY SAY WORDS" because sometimes a shitpost is just a shitpost dude.

Neo_Crimson posted:

All of that poo poo is minutiae of a manga and superhero comics, getting this stuff wrong is ultimately harmless. Like, you're on SA, a place that constantly mocks people who care way too much about details like this.

Woolie's ignorance of radiation and nuclear power is way more worth getting upset about.

SA is also lame as gently caress for mocking people for liking things but we also house some of the dumbest Souls threads where people talk ad nauseum about nothing for pages on end and let's not forget the era of Danganronpa that had a myriad of people speculating things to death to the point that LP moderation had to get more involved. Also, I am not getting mad at Woolie for loving up knowledge on Nuclear Power because if I have to give him poo poo every time he got a thing about reality itself wrong, these pages would be a lot longer.