Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Thankfully there was a series of compilations of the SBF Machinima stuff completed just two days before everything got erased, so assuming it's a good compilation all the good stuff still exists :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

It was really annoying that woolie tried to defend his previous "I don't need more Devil May Cry" statement by saying that he only meant he doesn't want more dante but would be fine with trish/lady spinoff or a nero game OR just 'more DMC gameplay' and acting like everyone was an idiot for misunderstanding him!!

Because if he phrased it like that in the first place pretty much everyone would have agreed with him on the spot

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

The not returning food thing was really bizarre to me. Like if you have a hair in your food you're an idiot if you just eat that poo poo up, what the hell, get a refund or something
Also Pat claimed that people lining up when waiting for a bus is a canadian only thing which is so super loving wrong that it annoyed me personally, like oh yeah everyone else is just a complete caveman or what?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it seemed incredibly obvious what he meant in the first place and it seemed like people were deliberately misinterpreting him
It was obvious if you know Woolie, but what he said and what he meant were very different things. 'I don't want more Devil May Cry' should not be what you say when you mean 'I want more Devil May Cry gameplay, but not a continuation of Dante's storyline'. It would not have been a huge deal at all but he kind of made it one with how strongly he wanted to defend himself in the last podcast. Just admit you phrased it badly!!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I think it also has a lot to do with the type of hair and the type of food. Like, solid food with a long straight hair on the side? Sure, just grab that off, it's cool. Soup with a thick pube hair in the middle? who would eat that

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I watched Woolies videos on Control recently and found it pretty funny how one of the few games that would have benefited from his slow pace, looking at everything and reading through all files and such, was instead piloted by turbo speedrunner Reggie :v:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I don't really get why people still complain about Woolie using the controller-mouse combo. There is literally no advantage for him to gain in using a keyboard instead. The podcast discussion consisted mostly of Pat repeating that it's crazy to do and not being able to argue against it anyways.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Capcom has been selling in-game currency/valuable items for real money for at least 10 years, and it has never affected how the games were balanced or structured (at least for single player games, that is). I think if you've played other capcom games you'd be pretty trustful of that at this point, and had any possible MTX irritation already happen way back when. They've also been very good about not having in-game ads, either in the main menu or the actual game.

That's all in obvious contrast to Video Game Satan, Ubisoft, who:
- Throw ads anywhere you think to look in-game
- Balance and structure games based on their microtransactions - weird how all their games suddenly started having RPG mechanics, where the main change to game design was 'small number=bad & stinky, big number=good, now look at this MTX store for making number big'.

Now, it's not like anyone needs to like the ability to buy in-game stuff with real money. It's just that this does happen to be the least bad version of it, and has been going on forever now, so the outrage feels completely manufactured. I suppose there's certainly going to be someone who hasn't played a Capcom game in more than a decade, and has no interest in DD2, in which case I would certainly sympathise with seeing this as inexcusable.

I guess the last thing that would cause confusion is the game's opposition to fast traveling everywhere at any time - I think you actually just have to trust the developer with that one, instead of assuming fast travel was cut out for more money. I'll admit I'm only 15 hours in, but so far the lack of fast travel has only been a good thing (being stuck in the middle of nowhere at night is properly terrifying).

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

It feels like having 3 sorcerers in your party might instantly make the PS5 explode as soon as combat starts, and that's actually something that maybe should make me unhappy but it's badass for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

That's honestly my biggest question about the game: is the actual traversal fun? In a vacuum I don't disagree that games should try to make traveling around a map more fun, but at some point no matter how good it is, I don't want to have to spend however long it takes to get from Point A to Point B for like one item; I got poo poo to do.

Like eventually I even fast travelled in the Insomniac Spider-Man games, and that's probably as good as it gets for fun traversal in video games
I think the traversal is fun due to two things:
1. The feeling of rewarding discovery. Weapons and armor pieces in the game are each unique (not that there's only one of each, but that there's no '+5% to butt damage' variation stuff), so delving into the unknown has a good chance of actually being really rewarding - especially since you not only need equipment for yourself, but also your main pawn. Even if you don't find any special rewards, you'd likely gain a fair amount of gold through your adventuring, which can get you new pieces of equipment at stores (buying equipment is actually useful for once!). In addition, other players will get rewarded through your pawn learning things like enemy weaknesses, hidden chest locations, etc. and conversely, you'll get those same benefits from other player's pawns.
2. The world being unforgiving. When you get damaged, your health bar slightly shrinks in its entirety; this is to force you to rest eventually to regain your full strength, instead of just fighting through the entire world without pause. In the wilderness, you can only rest at a campfire, and only if you are carrying a very heavy camping kit with you. This combined with nights being very dark and full of much, much more powerful monsters, well, you'd better plan your trips before you leave a settlement.

The second point is probably one of those love-it-or-hate-it situations, lol. It's pretty much the absolute opposite of traversal in the Insomniac Spider-Man games in every way; even the smallest amount traveled feels like progress, and every minute you don't stumble onto an ogre that will fling your entire party of a cliff is a victory. Spider-Man would just swing past that poo poo and collect a backpack or whatever.