Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Liam and I are kindred spirits when it comes to having the uncanny ability to shove one's entire foot in their mouth but I do like his streams the most because they are chill.

edit: His recent stream of Tetris Effect channeled the Woolie stream people are talkin about though, because he got Nier Automata levels of existential when he spent like 5 hours trying to beat the 'endless' mode and couldn't clinch it. One thing that is unified among the Best Friends even now they've gone their separate ways is they love to revel in existential dread, a quality that is very relateable in 2018!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can't watch Pat/Paige's streams live because it's like at least 50% donation messages, reading donation messages, sitting around eating and not playing the video game at this point

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like hearing donations get read... At the end of the stream, when the game is over and there is nothing else to do before signing off. On my own channel I read them when they pop up because I don't have many viewers or donations at a time, but when there's aTON of them at once as in Pat n Paige's streams, it smothers the banter and commentary.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Live streams are primarily meant to be watched live, they aren't for Captain Invictus or CJacobs to watch after the fact. Making your live stream archives be a better experience for people who don't watch them live is backwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yardbomb posted:

A lot of people do though, because a lot of people do watch them later, fans in places with worse internet, drastic time differences, less time and so on are worth helping out with good vods.

Okay great? Put the donations at the end then like I just said so everyone can be happy?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Liam also has been doing The Quiet Man with Matt and boy that game does not make any more sense with the sound on

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 30, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My post originally mentioned that they played it without sound first and are now going back again, but I edited it out because I thought I was misremembering. I went back to the first video to confirm and it had sound so I figured I was incorrect. But then I remembered that, oh wait, The Quiet Man just has sound for some loving reason during the first cutscene and only the first one and it fooled me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monaghan posted:

Woolie's lost a bunch of weight and looks great nowadays.

Woolie's character development weight loss is the new Liam's character development haircut.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What do we live in the wild west or something? Spoiler warnings should last until the game drops in price or the movie's out on DVD. As long as things cost money, someone who wanted to see it or play it has not yet done so because they can't spare it. Best to wait till it's something reasonable instead of full price.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bonaventure posted:

i bet people in the Wild Wild West didn't have to worry too much about spoilers, honestly

On the other hand, how long do you think the waiting list for the latest Penny Dreadful was? I'm willing to bet someone somewhere got shot dead for spoiling the latest tall tale told around the campfire.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I am listening to a pop culture podcast I am not gonna get mad about spoilers for a month old movie. I listen to pop culture podcasts because I want to hear people talk about pop culture and it's annoying when they have to have these weird tiptoe bullshit because some dude is mad someone dared talk about a movie they saw

I mean they could just say "spoiler warning, skip past us talking about this" and move on with the spoilers from there. It takes like 5 seconds. They don't have to do the "no dude you have to say Culprit, even 8 years on" thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
First there was Snailborne, and now... SlowJo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today, apparently. gently caress you, Machinima, you were poo poo since the very beginning and literally held your content creators hostage and of course you would go out with a middle finger extended.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only bad fighting game combos are ones that require you to reset the stick to neutral and I cannot think of many of those.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are any of the guys playing Red Dead 50,000 Inputs That All Do Different Things Redemption 2? I haven't listened to the podcast stuff in a while. That game is the prime example of how context sensitive controls mapped to the same button are the loving devil, I would like to hear their opinions of it but it has no buster swords so I'm not sure if any of them have played it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MagusDraco posted:

Pat played it on stream when it came out and got twitch to retweet his horse bugging out and running him over twice. https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpartialEndearingOrangeYouDontSay

Oh yeah I remember this clip. Hell yeah cyclone horse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A critical part of fighting game specials being inputs instead of just a button you hold/press is that it makes you vulnerable to try to execute them. There's no danger in just hitting your fireball button, or holding LT and pressing punch to throw a fireball. You and your opponent both have to actively stop trying to interact with the opponent for a split second to get your special off, which gives them time to prepare, react, or try and stop you. It's just as much for pacing fights as it is for keeping you from ever accidentally doing the input.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 23, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dabir posted:

Other games have charge times on their mechanics without needing you to memorise the manual for a nuclear reactor

I think there's something to be gained by having special inputs be 'silent', because it takes more perception on the part of the opponent to see what you're about to do (or are attempting to do) and react fast enough. With fighting game inputs you can interrupt the combo before doing the move if your opponent does catch on, whereas with a charge up type of thing it's instantly obvious what you're trying to do and there's only limited ways to counter you- stop you from charging it, or block.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 23, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stone goddamn cold

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please buy RE2Make, they got rid of the spiders and replaced them with something else which is arguably more creative and fitting, and you absolutely should support such business practices.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I cannot in good faith support anything that does not include spiders, sorry.

You mother fucker. How dare you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Tesla posted:

What if the Spiders are there but all invisible and on the roof above you, or Mr X is 3 giant spiders stacked on top of each other.

Invisible spiders is RE Revelations 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wesker loving rules, I'm not sorry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tank controls really suck and are a byproduct of the era when it was not standard for all controllers to have an analog stick. If your game is paced for the slow movement/inaccuracy of tank controls then it will at least be playable with them, but it isn't a good idea to base your game around limitations of the controls anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Parents posted:

tank controls specifically exist in resident evil to limit your mobility and make moving in a specific direction a choice you have to consider. your exact path around the zombies is important and some of the challenge and fun is reduced by being able to flail around with screen dependent controls.

The tank controls exist in RE because the static camera angles go wild all over the place from a bunch of different angles and so it's better to have the controls be independent of it. Press forward and your guy goes where he is facing no matter where he is on the screen. If the camera angle changes, it doesn't matter, up on the d-pad still points where you're going. At the time, it was necessary to make the game playable (just look at Silent Hill 2/3/4 while using 3D controls to see why 3D control doesn't work with static cameras) but it is a relic of the past and did not in any way make the game better imo.

edit: Silent Hill got around the clunkiness of turning your guy on a lazy susan in a way that RE failed to do, by adding a sidestep button. Classic RE controls like poo poo dude, even when compared to other games at the time.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 29, 2019