Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean, in the only released official material featuring him, he's just called "Bullfighter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think Part explained on the first podcast after him moving in that his legs don't work properly cause of brain problems and sometimes he just gets anxious about nothing and starts yelling.

and Elmo is pretty similar

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

fate

more like

fart

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Matt was a coward and was holding them back

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Most of the things they "remember" are misinterpretations of basic subtext or poo poo they imagined wholesale.

that's great though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

he's right

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Adding more buttons to fighting games don't make them more intuitive and if anything it creates more restrictions in some cases. Like, what do you even do for six-button fighters like SF? Have two specials per character and one super that you press two buttons for? Do you reduce the number of normals, so you can add even more buttons that have incredibly specific functions in their place and create incredibly bad control schemes? What do you do about anime fighters like Persona, Dragon Ball, Guilty Gear, etc. that have an abundance of mechanics that are usually mapped to another button as an alternative to their normal button combinations? You just have them remember the button combination which creates the problem you are trying to prevent? Like, I'm not trying to slam you for your suggestion, but it really feels like you don't know what goes into a fighting game on any level to be suggesting this like it is a complete cure all and people are going to suddeny "get" fighting games because you've done this. A fighting game needs to be built around this concept like Fantasy Strike and Rising Thunder and all other fighting games are established and have their dedicated playerbases that have come to accept how these games are. Fighterz is not one of these games, there are still motions and in the special button is a character specific button that does different things and also has motions on it for stuff like beams and various other things the characters do.

what you do is you don't make lovely games with too many mechanics

CJacobs posted:

A critical part of fighting game specials being inputs instead of just a button you hold/press is that it makes you vulnerable to try to execute them. There's no danger in just hitting your fireball button, or holding LT and pressing punch to throw a fireball. You and your opponent both have to actively stop trying to interact with the opponent for a split second to get your special off, which gives them time to prepare, react, or try and stop you. It's just as much for pacing fights as it is for keeping you from ever accidentally doing the input.

Other games have charge times on their mechanics without needing you to memorise the manual for a nuclear reactor

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

well the disappointment is DmC Devil may Cry

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

There's also the other Cathrine in the game (who was heavily implied to be pre-op trans) that they added but bugger knows what the score is with them given all the telephone game this sort of nonsense adds to everything.

She has a penis, and Vincent slaps her hand away in disgust when he finds out. Turns out she's really a space alien.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Your Parents posted:

is that where toby goes drat i wish i could find a good girl and erica says "theres one closer than you think", implying she still transitions and also that they still get together? itd be weird if you were leaving that part out on purpose to try to get people worked up.

The line literally translates as something close to "I wonder if there's any angels like that left in this world". No mention of 'women' or 'girls'. Erica could just as easily be a gay man in the new timeline.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We should probably see how it gets translated imho

It's already been translated by people who speak Japanese who've seen the footage. If you want the official English release, all I can say to that is that "translation" and "localisation" do not mean the same thing. It's likely that the official localisation will make changes to try and smooth this out, and I wouldn't be surprised if that line gets tweaked.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Given they praised HBomb raising money for a trans-rights charity and had LGBT guests on the old podcast, I don't know who the gently caress was thinking CSB was going to be super reactionary or whatever.

internet nazis always think everyone they like is like them

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Your Parents posted:

one game has a problem and suddenly hundreds of games from a publisher are ALL transphobic. what the gently caress?

it isn't just one game though, that's why people are looking at it and going "hmm kind of a pattern here"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I said it in reply to that tweet and I'll say it again here: That's how I play Hitman when I'm using the gun a lot and it works just fine thank you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you're used to it and can operate it quickly it's no different from WASD, except that you have analogue movement control. The main issue people keep bringing up with it is "How do you stop the UI changing back and forth between keyboard prompts and controller prompts", and the answer is "you don't, but who gives a poo poo".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, LPs have been around a long time, we know how they work best. One person can do informed post commentary, you need at least two for live commentary. And skipping around like in the Travis Strikes Again LP is just always a bad idea. Show the game!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Streams are different, the second commentator is the chat. Even for stream archives that don't show the chat, the tone is markedly different just from the fact that it was there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Supergreatfriend's streams are pretty enjoyable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MaxDuo posted:

It was the Evo Japan "Core Values" stuff where they cut some girls off the stream for ......... compromising positions with the in game camera or something? I never follow tournaments and kind of checked out during that.

They were streaming a Japanese promo video for DOA where part of the video was the promoters pausing the game mid-attack and going WOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAH?! THAT LOOKS LIKE THEYRE DOING A gently caress ON EACH OTHER and as soon as that started happening they cut it off

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It seems like a very legitimate thing to be mad about

yeah this

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They brought it up again because they didn't fully understand the cultural situation last week, and this week they had mail that explained it more fully. I don't understand why this is upsetting you so much.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it's a topic that's come up twice and involves discussing, and hearing from, aspects of another culture that a ton of people probably aren't aware of. If someone writes in next week with something equally in-depth about this same topic I'd be interested to hear that too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bioshock's subtitles are awful and actively make cutscenes worse if you have your hearing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A Dark Souls where all the numbers were the same except you only take 1 damage from enemy attacks would be a fundamentally different game, because vast amounts of its mechanics become irrelevant.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm just making the point that "just changing numbers" actually does alter a game more significantly than you might realise. Not going to come down on either side of this argument.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I think the problem is people talking past each other, since accessibility and making a game easier does not have to be the same thing. To be honest it is pretty insulting when people think that just adding more health to the player character, or less health to the enemy is accessibility. The best and easiest ways to improve accessibility in your game is to improve keybinding so unorthodox controllers such as custom made ones or the one microsoft made can be for better input options, or having visual cues too instead of just audio cues(For example, several things in Warframe is real bad about this, such as hunting for caches(They make a humming noise that you can use to track where it's hidden) or mining(the mining tool beeps faster the closer you get to the mining node, which is basically impossible to find without this beeping most of the time), yet no one gives a poo poo about it and tells deaf players to stop whining about these things)

With the addition of the new open world area, it becomes trivial to get a mining laser that marks all nearby nodes on your minimap, and caches show up on your minimap when you have loot radar. The hum is cool to hear but it's really short distance, chances are you find any given cache by clearing out every loot icon on your minimap and sticking your nose into every drat corner.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who did Vergil kill, personally, with his own hands, that wasn't a pure demon?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I know it might seem that way next to Pat, but even Woolie isn't tall enough to be over the weather.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

how dare this little fucker be so cute

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

Pat talking about how he wishes they had made different design choices in Dishonored because his disability prevents him from enjoying it as much as he wants to. Sorry Pat, changing those things would ruin the core experience for everyone else and ruin the game as an artistic statement about, uh, chaos. Maybe he should stop being a casual who wants things handed to him and play a different game

That's... not what he was actually saying though. He pinned almost all of the bad time he was having on himself. The only things he even felt comfortable saying were the game's fault were the things they fixed in 2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, in fact he explicitly said that he was revisiting it as part of a plan to try and fix himself and beat the mind goblins.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not sure about this "murder all authors" thing, seems like it could have some pushback

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Explanation for those of us in the slow lane?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuofwKWpoLQ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's obviously been really trying to make the stream thing work by himself and maybe bringing up things like that makes him feel like he jeopardised his own success by leaving?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Didn't Pat win the bet with Liam?

According to Pat Liam ended up having to back out of the deal and concede defeat, then didn't even pay up (which Pat was fine with). The bet's been over for 3 years according to him.

excuses

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

I haven't listened to castle superbeast in a while but thought maybe this time pat wouldn't talk about some dumb poo poo

not sure what podcast you thought this was

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's pretty much how he was editing Travis Strikes Again, too, except with bigger gaps. It's not as hard to follow as TSA was, but it's still a bit distracting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The long pauses are supposed to create a sense of discomfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXJDuR6ONIE&t=713s

Incredible.

E: What in the HELL is with the spinning spike bar at 18:00, that is absolutely a bug and I have zero clue why its coding would make it do that.

It looks like it's just designed to be a cool visual as you go through it, not an actual threat. Its behaviour is entirely tied to you moving past it so it can slam down and "miss" you.