Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie is live: https://www.twitch.tv/woolieversus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just do the thing where you can have a text-to-speech robot read the donation message while also increasing the donation message threshold? I watch a streamer that does that and it adds to the hilarity when the robot says something in a funny or weird way. I also tend to not watch Pat's streams because of the long pauses to read donations and whatnot.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

You probably don't want to do that, regardless of robot threshold, when a deal of your fanbase is 4chins.

The streamer I watch also has a big 4chan audience (and /r/Kappa, if you're familiar) so I don't think it's an issue. 90% of the donation messages are pretty funny and the ones that aren't just get made fun of instead. Or get banned. It's great.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I miss FNF/SMS :smith:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I wish Woolie and Pat would still do LPs together. I mean, if they can do the podcast they could also record a few episodes worth of content once a week. They would upload not as frequently, but I'd like it. Just make a new YouTube channel called Castle Super Beast

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Monaghan posted:

Woolie's lost a bunch of weight and looks great nowadays.

But he doesn't look as happy :smith:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRsLhJ4hzew

Hell yes

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The boys need to check out this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/955050/Bright_Memory__Episode_1/

Basically first person DMC developed by just one dude that came out today. Take a look at the gifs in the steam page.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie is keeping the FNF/SMS spirit alive: https://www.twitch.tv/woolieversus

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie said he's gonna play other fighting games later during this stream, including this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1nxnWEMiaY

Stay tuned

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, the DidYouKnowGaming channel does pretty much the same thing you describe (reading internet trivia) and they're very successful

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of fighting games:

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1087856252737277952

edit: live https://www.twitch.tv/woolieversus

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 23, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Watching the beginning of Pat's RE2 stream made me realize that Capcom only gave early access to him because they knew that by the time he stops reading donations the game will already be unlocked for everyone

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I really like Woolie's streams the most, he's doing a really good job.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie and Pat are starting the RE2 coop stream: https://www.twitch.tv/Woolieversus

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

Woolie's new "let's get into fighting games" intro is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-JUCpEVP4

I saw it during the stream and got really hyped. Love it. Keep it coming Woolie!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn it, I wanna watch it, but I wanna play the game before I watch, but I gotta buy a new GPU to play it, but then again when has spoilers been important in a DMC game so gently caress it

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Clerical Terrors posted:

I don't like that he previously released them all in a batch but mostly because I'm the kind of person who will binge watch them instead of doing productive human things.

Also am I the only one who thinks the sub feed is so irredeemable and broken I just went back to adding my fav channels to Thunderbird as RSS feeds?

I use a browser extension called youtube subscription (collection) manager where you can create collections/filters for channels you're subscribed to and you're able to toggle which ones you wanna see at the moment or toggle them off. I quite like it. I have a "Favorites" tab that is just a few channels for example, but I have categories for every type of content.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Zwiebel posted:

To throw some of my own grease into this trash fire, I always thought that Dark Souls already had some degree of difficulty options.

But that's more specifically in reference to the option of kindling (which increases your amount of healing substantially)
As well as the option of summoning other players or bots for help as actual dynamic adjustments to the difficulty of specific sections.

Summoning in particular utterly trivializes large parts of the content of Dark Souls due to enemies being really bad at fighting multiple opponents. The option also becomes inaccessible once the player has successfully completed an area and cleared out the boss, which suggests the notion that it's primarily there to help a player past getting stuck (as well being there just for fun, I suppose).

And a lot of the people that would scoff at the inclusion of maybe even more options to adjust the difficulty of a game have probably engaged in these options when playing the game themselves.
But as soon as developer slaps the "easy" label on an option in a menu, everyone freaks out and considers it a point of shame.
I suppose the best way about it is to just include these dynamic options but not tell players about the fact that they are making things easier for themselves?

Dark Souls is a weird example for difficulty in video games in any case, because it's mechanically related to RPGs. To some degree the player can just use consumables, items, levelling and whatever to further remove difficulty from the game. It's hardly a controlled environment with specific tests of reflex or skill. Thinking outside the box of "hit enemy with sword" or even just packing a bow utterly ruins a lot of the challenges the game sets up for the player, but that in itself is incredibly rewarding for players. Because they get to feel smart rather than only getting rewarded for twitch action game reflexes.

And having more options, in particular accessibility options for people with disabilities is only a good thing for these games.

That said, the industry still somehow manages to gently caress up the very basics of including subtitles or even checking whether a colour blind mode might be prudent, both of which should be the bare minimum.
Wasn't there, like, some big title releases just last year that didn't include subtitles? I remember hearing about something like that.

Speaking of games that have some non-trivial content and to bring it back to the best friends:
I recently got around to finally finishing Hollow Knight and I remember Woolie mentioning that he played the game. Did he stream any of that or was he just playing that on his own? I specifically avoided all discussion of the game and skipped the parts where they brought it up in the podcast due to wanting to go into it blind.

Underrated post. I love how Souls games do difficulty for exactly the reasons you said. In Sekiro it's kinda the same thing but it's not immediately apparent. Stealth can trivialize most enemies, even minibosses, since you can just turn back, hide for a while, and just stab them when they forget about you. Some items and prosthetics also trivialize bosses and normal enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjtl7YopEA

To me the Souls-style of difficulty is the ideal method of doing difficulty in a game. You never tell the player "This is easy mode" or "This is hard mode", you just add things in that make the game easier or harder and let the players make their own judgments about how they wanna play.

Accessibility options (subtitles, color-blind mode, and other things) are definitely a must however, and the more they add the cooler imo. What would be a nice accessibility option that more games should have?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I think you can also throw the sand/dust item at them but to be fair I've never tried that.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
RE4's dynamic difficulty system is really cool, but I prefer it in God Hand since you can actually see it and modify it if you want. In RE4 it kinda feels patronizing if they make it easier without you knowing about it.

The accessibility options people have mentioned here are something all games should strive to have, and at the end of the day I'm not opposed to having an easy mode for Souls games but it would feel so weird starting like, say, Bloodborne 2 and there's an easy mode option there. I don't know, it just wouldn't feel "right", I guess? But maybe it's just because they don't tend to do it, or if they do it, it's in some interesting way. The coolest easy mode they did imo was in the older Armored Core games, where if you got too in debt you'd suddenly see a cutscene of your character undergoing the Human Plus procedure, which basically fucks you up for life but turns you into a Newtype-level pilot basically. The game then resets and you have upgrades like using back weapons without kneeling with certain leg types, improved energy regeneration, improved radar, the ability to throw energy waves out of sword attacks, etc. That kinda stuff is so nuts, it meshes so well with the setting and the lore. In AC1 your character is even renamed to something else without your consent too (like Rebel + some number).

What I'm saying is that they have to bring back Armored Core.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I love that there's still another episode left for the DMC5 LP so we can see Woolie enjoy the last fight even more. Have they said if they're gonna do a bonus Bloody Palace video?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Why does everyone forget about GOG in these discussions?

GOG is good

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie is playing BABA is YOU (great puzzle game made by a goon, big recommend) and it's hilarious how he's overthinking things.

edit: goddamnit dias

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Finally

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

He's open about having anxiety problems. Anxiety isn't particularly rational.

Yeah, anxiety is a bitch. People can speculate on what Liam feels but only he knows that. Speculating on it feels weird and invasive imo.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of:
https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1137838576312434689

I don't understand how he can be let down by Gears Funko; why would anyone have expectations for it not to be awful dreck?

I guess he just expected it to be awful dreck except not mobile

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Man I wanna play 2Snacks' version of RDR2 now.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Am I crazy or have they played Sonic 06 before?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1phfTKWzRlE

A reminder that this only exists thanks to these fuckers :shobon:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Woolie's stand that gets his OCs into fighting games keeps getting stronger. At this rate, he will be in Smash.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this. It's a weirdly recurring thing.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Scrublords was great. Would be pretty interesting to get someone good at some random kusoge

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

somepartsareme posted:

it's shitstorm season :smith:

Matt seems to have a lot in store for this month

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

Hell yes, Matt starting Clock Tower 3 with Liam.

Clock Tower 3 is weird in that I hate it and love it at the same time for being dumb.

Unrelated, but with Shenmue 3 so close to release makes me wish the guys had made some videos for the previous games. Wonder if any of them is going to do a video or stream when 3 comes out.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

These goose game edits are so good wtf

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

How do they spend 3 hours talking about Pat's internet being hosed?

:wow:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Bee posted:

I wish we had Matt and Woolie going through the 2k20 trainwreck. It could've been the new Livin Da Dream or THUG!

:smith:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

It feels like Pat is the ur-example of the guy in your social circle that you give the label 'okay in small doses.'

And that's why the channel doesn't exist anymore! :suicide101:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Though I kinda hate thinking about it, I would not be surprised if down the line Matt, Woolie, and Liam decide to reform Super Best Friends Play without Pat.

Shin Super Best Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

It did!

https://twitter.com/Remerai/status/1189963730945265665?s=19