Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

It keeps getting said, but one of the cool things about Reggie's playthrough is that he's playing the game we all did the first time when DS1 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The wonder in Reggie's eyes at Anor Londo.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Was there a patch that lots of Dark Souls 1 players don't know about, or do Woolie, Reggie, and I all have crazy luck? Every time I've fought an early black knight, I've gotten something off of them, be it halberd/sword/shield, so all the remarks about crazy drops off of them are weird to me. I think I've only had one occasion where the Burg/Asylum BKs didn't drop any equipment in my countless playthroughs.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

https://twitter.com/blackbookalpha/status/1465802914052526080

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

watching pat's Guardians of the Galaxy sponsored stream, and like, I heard it was genuinely good, but this game looks absolutely fantastic, both in graphics and gameplay. and the dialogue has gotten genuine, solid laughs out of me at least half a dozen times during the stream. I will definitely pick this game up when it goes on sale, for sure!
https://twitch.tv/videos/1216964088

this(spoilers): https://i.imgur.com/FVKkQSO.png might just be THE BEST dialogue prompt in any game ever, and I had the exact same reaction pat is having here

I cannot believe how badly they botched the previews. like if they showed off even a bit of the basics of chapter 1, the general banter, face-to-face dialogue, and a little combat, instead of what they showed in the preview they did, it would've gone over SO much better. and this actor for peter is way better at it than chris pratt.

Based off the strength of Pat's endorsement and after seeing a quick rundown of the combat mechanics, I used my BF2042 refund money to buy GotG, and I dig it. It's got those Mass Effect conversations like he said. The levels and how you move in them feel like if Metroid Prime or Fallen Order were way more linear, or Uncharted and Mass Effect were less linear. The combat itself feels like a mish-mash of Platinum inspirations with the dodging and movement, and a version of Mass Effect where using your teammates' powers is way more important. I also hate the dialogue of Marvel movies, but I really enjoy about 90% of the banter in this game. It's really good, overall.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 6, 2021

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

MorningMoon posted:

I hear from some folk with opinions I trust that it's basically on the level of Insomniac's Spider-man. I nabbed it when it went down to 30 on Black Friday, but idk when I'll get to play it since i'm only like a quarter done with SMT5 lol

I don't think it's Spider-Man level of good, but I don't know. Thinking back on Spider-Man there was a lot of time where I was not taking down criminals, but in Guardians I'm either chatting up my crew or blasting aliens. Guardians has a very long intro where the game may not seem very fun. The tutorial mission moves pretty slowly, doesn't let you explore much, has a ton of banter that stops the action, and the combat encounters are really lame. Then, about 1/4 into the next mission, the game picks up in terms of pacing, fun, and combat challenge.

If you get it on PC, keep your finger on the VSync button. I ran into an issue where the game was doing anything it could to give me 144fps to the point of overheating my PC.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

It's interesting to see Arcsys pushing rollback into everything now. They're in a pretty good position to really start eating their competitors' lunches. Getting it into FighterZ would be one hell of a blow.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Reggie's reaction to the amazing chest made my week.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Reggie is definitely benefitting from Dark Snails. I was originally kind of "enh" on them stopping and stat-counting so much, but it is paying off for him to take his time and I can just as easily skip those parts.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

https://twitter.com/PeachSaliva/status/1474604090382553093

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Flubby posted:

I've replayed Dark souls 1, 2, and 3 in order as lead up to Elden Ring and I can say, with them fresh in my mind, 1 2 3 is the order of how good they are, imo. The first one is the most jank, yes, and it has Izalith, but you can't beat that interconnected world. It's just an amazing design and I almost wish they never bothered with bonfire teleporting. It's not necessary. 2 feels the most like some kind of classic rpg campaign with all its hidden walls and methodical combat. It's a slower game. The builds are fantastic. There's some poo poo in there. Enemies turning to face you and rotating with no animation. The fire lizards are the worst enemy they've ever put in a souls game. 3 is much faster with the combat and prettier, but it's also a slog. It has the most bullshit of the three of them, easily. The swamp leading up to Farron's Keep is a nightmare, and I'm the type that loves areas like Blightown and The Gutter.

Yeah, I'm with you on 123 as the ranking. I still think all of the DS games are good, but 3 is the lowest for me because of the lack of variation in builds and the dull visuals. Somersaulting my way through grey castles, grey towns, grey ruins, or grey caves is less appealing than having the ability to be an armored shithouse wandering through the varying DS1 and 2 locations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

If Liam starts talking more about how great FFX-2 is rest assured I will bring that stuff to our door.

What if he tries to say that Mighty No. 9 is good?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I've been reading Steam reviews the FF Remasters, and one thing people keep mentioning is that the games have been rebalanced to be "easier?" Is that true, and if it is, does it hurt the experience at all? I've always wanted to play 1-5, but just never did.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Rody One Half posted:

The highlight of the old LP was Pat putting his thumb on the scale by just constantly doing poo poo like checking the knife and playing it off as normal inventory fumbling for Matt.

I got a good laugh when he didn't even try to hide it by the end and even Matt figured something was up.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I need them to at least get to the one line Vincent says in 3.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I've been playing some big name games in recent years that do not look as good as SH3. That game's visuals are absurd.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I used to roll my eyes at the people who said "The bad voice acting is what makes the characters great in SH2!" I just wanted the game to have flaws, and that it was okay to have them. I came to appreciate the original dub when I finally heard the redubbed voices in the HD Collection where the lines sounded so clean and professional that they actually sounded as offputting as the original dubs. I then came to appreciate the flaws of the original voice acting, where the characters' hesitation and mis-matched emotions sound a little bit more like what real people would sound like in a horrible situation. It's sort of a cool split to think about sometimes.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

beep by grandpa posted:

I lol every time I hear troy baker's James. Is so comically melodramatic and gruff it's what I imagine a hollywood action drama Silent Hill 2 film would sound like.

Whenever he talks in interviews or on that channel he did with Nolan North, I always get the impression that nobody is more tired of Troy Baker and Nolan North's default voices than Troy Baker and Nolan North.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

DrManiac posted:

Man pat is totally right about dying light 2’s factions literally everybody non-cop is some combination of annoying, traitorous, or rear end in a top hat and I just want them to all gently caress off. I haven’t got to the real city yet and I’m sure the other faction will show it’s rear end but as of now there’s literally no reason to not side with them.

Also the MC is painfully dumb. Motherfucker is literally a himbo doing dumb poo poo out of your control constantly.

I've never seen a game so derided for its story. Even the kinds of people that just say "Oh, shut up and play the game," will say that they can't stand listening to any dialogue and that everyone is selfish in the most contrived way possible.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

On the other hand, "You know what Switch games look good in 4k? All of them" is a great line.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I really want to see Pat's dad show up on a stream or the podcast just once. He sounds like an interesting dude.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

You know, I was never able to put my finger on why Woolie's aversion to K+M was so frustrating, but he finally made me realize in this episode that he thinks Pat is crazy for having compulsive mind goblins about consumables but doesn't see the parallel with his own weird "I might hit another button" brain problem.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Brightman posted:

Old school fps games like Doom give him motion sickness and are why he didn't get into the genre until relatively recently so I think that'd go exceptionally poorly.

I feel like he's mentioned something that lead me to believe that he can't touch type or at least not in the traditional sense which is probably the larger barrier. Honestly wouldn't surprise me given how much he mixes up directions.

On the cast, he said he won't do K+M because he's afraid he'll hit other keys when he tries to hit a number key to switch a weapon.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

In the best timeline, Reggie joined Best Friends and saved the channel:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlayfulFunAirGuitarNinjaGrumpy-aA-Md9jvc30oAmER

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Warbird posted:

I fully expect a toddler to waddle into a stream before to long and it to be nosold.

"We found him at a stand for $40 and they were out of cake."

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Moose King posted:

I'm really enjoying the Elden Ring anime but I swear to god it's like Woolie is incapable of looking farther than like 10 feet ahead of him. Any time the game has one of its moments where it opens up your sightline to reveal a big, sweeping vista that shows off where you're supposed to go next, he immediately begins swinging his camera around looking at every flower in the vicinity. Stands on top of a tower with a panoramic view of the zone around him, points the camera at the brick wall. Stands on a cliff that overlooks the big wide open area dominated by the big castle he's been wanting to go to but hasn't found yet, points the camera straight down the cliff edge, then turns around and rides away.

I think it's Woolie's bug tester instincts, but yeah I hate it too even though he's far from the only LPer to do it. Minh was actually even worse about it.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I wish shields were just viable again. One of the reasons DS1 is still my favorite is because you can build a big piece of poo poo brickhouse of a character and it's just as viable as rolling through the game.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I respecced to a great shield build for ng+ and it makes the game a joke. Stuff like the omen ogres and ancient warriors and crucible knights which hosed me up on my power stanced dagger build can't even touch me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCRPNHgdeF8

That's cool. I haven't been able to put a lot of time into Elden Ring.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

MorningMoon posted:

I would absolutely keep it playing on loop forever if they had some playlist that's just all the prestream stuff where they're both there.

Mysterious Jojo has to run out of SBFP content eventually.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrk8sqZfsgI

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The Sonic community has been like the one real cringe parade I've been able to bring myself to watch and that video has to be 100% real.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Blockhouse posted:

Should just go dig put that video where someone lists off all the podcast episode titles that got them disqualified for being nominated for an award

"Kinect, go die." will never be topped as a vid/pod title.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The only time I remember Benny being brought up was from this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FxbCyTjVSQ

I really like What Happened. I'm burned out on the 40+ minute video essays on Youtube, so it's nice to have a 25-minutes-or-less summation of a game/movie/console story. I'm not big on Matt's other stuff unless he has a co-commentator, though. He needs a +1, even if it's his wife.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, I didn't mind Xavier. I thought he had a good conversation with them about Fallout and stuff. I think all of the Superbeast guests have been great- Docsquiddy, Suzie, Gianni, Gene. It would have been nice to have someone like Gianni when Woolie was going through his shooter phase on his channel.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, Plague's grouchiness is a little tiring. It just feels like nothing can be brought up without him making GBS threads on it. I've had those acquaintances and I just get tired of them.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

What's funny is Woolie made a less idealized version of himself this time.

EDIT: Does anyone have a link to Pat reacting to the homo-genius playlist? I can't find it on Youtube.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 5, 2023

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Vandar posted:

I've been rewatching the Bloodborne playthrough.

Pat's refusal and reluctance to level damaging stats is still maddening.

You're just mad because he lost the annals of history.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

XCom is not a strategy game, just an intricate slot machine.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Kay Kessler posted:

Pat is very selective over what triggers his ocd. He has no problem using Paige's toothbrush or eating dog treats, but air drying dishes, seeing a centipede or someone touching him after eating popcorn will set him off.

Pat and Woolie revealing origins of weird brain worms in that recent episode was fun. Pat mentioning that his mom used dish machine soap wrong and Woolie clarifying his Baldur's Gate confusion closed two books. I used to wonder why Woolie couldn't get Baldur's Gate right, but his only exposure being the Dark Alliance games made so much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

DS3 for me suffers from yeah the dessicated look, which I get is tied into the narrative, but I find it dull after a while. But also, you can't really get away with being a big, armored shithouse like in DS1 and 2.