Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

It's silly to worry yourself about what specific ailment or illness you might get imho. That's just worry for worry's sake. I have an emergency fund for anything that does happen, but I'm not going to put a line item every month for cancer treatment, if that's what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

But if we do move back to Australia, I've lost pretty much any chance of getting back into the market. That's what I'm weighing up right now.

Who gives a poo poo about the property market. Just rent a house! It's cheaper and a more financially sound solution. What if housing values go down or stagnate? I know that could never possibly happen, but humor me.

quote:

I'd be able to rent out my house for $1603 AUD per month. My mortgage payment is $1702 AUD.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

My dude, this phrase right here:

"If one of us suffers from a cancer diagnosis"

like, do you guys both have undiagnosed illnesses or something? Are you in the habit of regularly exposing yourselves to toxic substances? Why would such a thought guide how you approach ... literally anything?
The hell? This is actually a pretty common sentiment coming from a lot of people contemplating moves to the US from other developed countries. Not always cancer exactly, but thinking about the costs of some potential unforeseen medical disaster.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Right, emergency fund, keep it funded. I don't phrase it like "I might get cancer" that is really morbid, and also strange to focus so much on a single thing which may happen.

Health insurance is poo poo here, no one can argue that. I'm not saying "pay no attention to health insurance".

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Right, emergency fund, keep it funded.

That must be one hell of a big emergency fund to make you not worry about the cost of getting sick in the United States

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Never said that but okay

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I've lived in a couple of the major metropolitan areas and raised a kid on the spectrum here. It isn't easy. You're probably on a good track to look at the smaller high-tech areas, including emerging ones, because from my direct experience, your estimates of expenses won't get you what you want in the major metros. Examples below:

EXPENSES:

RENT $ 2,000.00 -- In my area, $2K will only get you a one-bedroom apartment. Further out of the city, you may find a 2-3 bedroom house for $2,500, but you will need to watch out for neighborhood and school quality, and of course your commuting costs will increase (a lot).

UTILITIES $ 200.00 - This is probably low for a 3-person family. Electricity alone can run a couple hundred dollars per month in our muggy and/or superheated summers.

RENTERS INSURANCE $ 15.00

LIFE/DISABILITY INSURANCE $ 180.00

INTERNET $ 30.00 - Also low; I shopped and negotiated like crazy, and decent but not super-fast internet runs me $80/mo.

PHONES $ 80.00

ENTERTAINMENT $ 80.00 - Guessing that you would mostly be streaming movies, or hitting a concert every few months? Three movie tickets here are about $45 (parking/popcorn extra). Going out to eat at a modest (not fast food) restaurant runs around $50-65 before tip and drinks.

APPLE MUSIC $ 10.00

GROCERIES $ 525.00 - lean, but probably achievable

PETROL $ 350.00 - I haven't read every post ITT, but I am guessing that you are including public transit here? In my area, the subway costs about $10/day per person round trip, and there's more cost if you need to take a bus to the subway or want to park your car at the station.

SON MISC. $ 250.00 - I am guessing that you have the expenses for his special needs (e.g. PT/OT, speech therapy...) and his future education in another budget bin somewhere? For regular monthly expenses, it's worth knowing that elementary schools here let out between 2pm and 3:30pm, depending on which municipality you are in. If one of you isn't home by then, you'd need to pay for the extended day program or for another after-school program or child sitter. For someone with the income you've mentioned, Extended Day is $315/month (it's a sliding fee scale). There are also school trip fees, clothing, supplies, and all of the other things you'll want for your kid, so I'd bump this up considerably.

CLOTHES/MISC $ 280.00

CAR REGISTRATION + INSURANCE $ 205.00 - If this is for one car, this number is probably ok. If two cars, and if they are less than 5 years old, then you might want to bump this number up by 30-50% or so.

HTH. Also, just in case you haven't come across it yet, city-data.com is worth a look. You can find most major/minor US cities there, with some photos, stats on population, home values, income, climate/weather, crime rates, education, recreation, and major employers for each.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Edit: Deleted.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 28, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CelestialScribe posted:

Yeah? Xfinity offers a $30 deal that's internet only. 60mbps. In comparison I have fibre to the node in Aus and it only gives me 45mbps.
That's probably an introductory deal, and will jump to a higher price after a year of service. Some people have luck calling and convincing them to give you the intro price again, but that doesn't always work.

CelestialScribe posted:

This is so bizarre. You do understand that even a fully funded emergency fund can be blown out by a few months of cancer treatment, with insurance, right?
I think what's striking MRC as odd is your hyperfixation on cancer & phrasing it as something that's likely to happen, as opposed to a more general "I want the option of moving back if expensive medical problems pop up". Tying it to your insistence on keeping the house just makes it odder.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

CelestialScribe posted:

That's pretty much what we spend now, so it's realistic - if a little tight.

Regarding the house, it's absolutely realistic that we would have to move back. If one of us suffers from a cancer diagnosis, then there is absolutely no way I'm letting my family suffer through that in a private health system.

Re: the city, I already explained above that I'm able to broaden my search to a wide range of cities now that I understand the job terminology differences better. I've used the $2,000 rent number as a very, very conservative estimate. If I were to move to someplace like, say, NC - rent there is much more affordable.

If your post is a warning to say "don't do this", then, sorry, moving to the States is inevitable. The concern now is how to do it right.

It seems really odd to me that moving to the states is inevitable but you want to meep your house and poo poo in aus just in case you need to go back. That to me suggests it isn't inevitable at all. If it actually were you would plan to sell the house.

I mean ffs your own breakdown suggests you won't be able to cover your mortgage never mind all the other costs. You will be taking a monthly hit to allow someone else to live in your house....that's not a wise move. You once again bring up how your house might appreciate in value even though earlier in the thread it was pointed out how dumb that idea is. If you want an appreciating asset invest in some stocks and poo poo. If you ever need to move back to aus you can...and apparently get housing cheaper by renting (as your own math proves). But again it seems really weird to hitch that huge anchor to your family as a failsafe when you claim the decision is inevitable.

Oh and if your plan is to move back to aus if you get expensive medical bills why are you budgeting $800/mo for insurance?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CelestialScribe posted:

But isn't it also true that home ownership is a massive advantage when it comes to building long-term wealth?
I don’t think it’s massive, but I’m kind of ignorant on the subject. It would seem to vary a whole lot on the specifics, particularly location.

Anyway, side point you may or may not know, most health insurance policies in the US have a maximum annual out-of-pocket expense amount, after which insurance covers all medical expenses. In my particular case, it’s $5500/person or $11000 per family. Still huge numbers, but possibly not life-crushing.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

CelestialScribe posted:

Not quite sure what you mean here. It's definitely happening.

Yeah, and this is my dilemma. It's certainly way, way easier to sell up now, take the equity, then buy a house in the States in a few years once we've settled, etc.

But I can't shake the idea that we might move back here eventually.

Y'know, I think you're the only one who can answer this particular question, but FWIW, I totally get why you want to hang onto the house. You aren't certain whether your leap to the US will be permanent, you recognize that there are circumstances under which you would want to return to your country of citizenship, you recognize that if you sell when you move, you might not be able to re-enter the market later if prices have gone up, and so it seems pretty normal to me to not want to burn any bridge that you might want to re-cross.

No offense intended to anyone with other opinions, but owning property is long-term wealth building, not short-term gain. To make home ownership work, you really need to be in it for the long haul. Every time you do a new mortgage you pay closing costs, and every time you sell a property you pay taxes on any profit, as well as paying several percent in broker's fees. Those costs dominate in the short run, but not in the long run.

But once you have it, property generally only tanks badly in situations like a) it's in a one-industry city and that industry is failing or leaving; b) the neighborhood is going badly downhill; c) you are in a floodplain or other disaster-prone location; or d) you are in an area where there is a real estate bubble so that prices are unsustainably inflated right now. If things like that don't apply, AND if you have a good property manager looking out for you, then you're probably pretty safe. (It also helps if you have trusted friends in the area who can drive by once in a while and alert you if the place doesn't look like it's being kept up properly.)

You also don't really have to decide to sell immediately when you land your job. As long as you can swing the slight negative cash flow for a year or two, you could keep the house until you see how the US thing works out for you, and if you later realize that you want to stick with the US, then sell up there and buy here.

Again, I think the main thing on the house question is that you have to be comfortable with whatever choice you make, because heaven knows there's enough stress built into an overseas move, and you don't need to create more stress by doing something you're seriously unsure of. I tend to make decisions in favor of keeping the maximum number of good options open.

YMMV, but it might be worth reframing this piece of the puzzle. You understand the longer term, so play the long(er) game on it. Run the numbers for a 2-year scenario, a 5-year scenario, and maybe a 10- or 15-year scenario, consider them and then put them aside and revisit them once you've landed a position in the US. Then just make the choice that makes the most sense for you.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 30, 2019

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

CelestialScribe posted:

But I can't shake the idea that we might move back here eventually. And if we do, and we don't have a house in the States OR here, we're kind of screwed as long-term wealth planning goes. I know what most people here would say: that yes, you can invest in stocks and renting is cheaper over the long term. But isn't it also true that home ownership is a massive advantage when it comes to building long-term wealth?

I mean, of the people here who are telling me it won't matter if I don't own property in 10-15 years, how many of you rent right now? What are your thoughts on the idea of building long-term wealth outside of home ownership?
You're wrong. Home ownership in this country is such a distorted concept because of insane price growth in one of the biggest housing bubbles ever. You've clearly not paid one iota of attention to the housing market in the last 6 months, or you absolutely wouldn't say that the price will grow and you'll be unable to buy a house later on. Median house prices are at eye-watering levels compared to median incomes. Household income growth is stagnant. Savings rates are down. Productivity is down. This country is more or less in recession except for migration.

You talk about wanting to manage risk by keeping the house, but you're basically taking a guaranteed weekly loss to hedge against the uncertain risk of a housing price rise. In doing so, you're not considering the risk of the housing market continuing to tank as the economy goes further to poo poo. You're not honestly evaluating the risk, you're suffering from the fallacy of playing additional value on the house simply because you own it. What's more, it's adding additional risk via lack of cash flow when you face uncertain costs moving to and settling in a foreign country.

Why do you think you're screwed in long-term wealth planning if you get rid of the house? Specifically, how does your house contribute to your long-term wealth planning? There's numerous methods to approach long-term wealth planning. Maybe you should, you know, talk to a financial planner about this?

I have owned my place for the last 9 years. I am about to get rid of it (reclaimed by the government for new infrastructure) and most likely will go back to renting. I think renting is not a problem and for the next few years certainly suits you better to help manage risk and free up cashflow. You can build long-term wealth outside of home ownership by way of ETFs and other financial vehicles. You're essentially brainwashed by the cult of real estate in this country and it's clouding your judgement. If you were to move back here, how much do you think you'll lose out on by selling now and buying again in a few years? How much do you anticipate housing prices to grow in 3-5 years?

But you've not listened to any of this thread thus far when they've provided this in numerous different ways, so I don't know why I bothered writing this effortpost.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The idea that home ownership is the One True Path to wealth is brain-poisoned Boomer-era bullshit, at least in the US and probably in the rest of the First World, as all the Boomers are currently finding out and will find out even harder when the next crash comes. Housing prices are skyrocketing nationwide as real wages decline, housing (particularly in major cities) is more and more becoming a way for (usually Russian/Chinese/Saudi) rich people to park their money in something stateside rather than a thing normal people own and live in. This is a demon hell-nation that's worse than Australia in just about every way imaginable and you should really stay away if at all possible, one of the most rational things you've said all thread is how terrified of the healthcare system you are.

If you're gonna insist on moving to the States though, sell the house, otherwise you're paying a few hundred a month for the privilege of having other people live in your house on the bet that surely this time the bubble won't pop. As other people have said far more eloquently, there are far better returns to be had on all manner of other investments than real estate.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

CelestialScribe posted:

Not quite sure what you mean here. It's definitely happening.

Yet you keep adding in ways out. Seems like the inevitably is being forced by you and nothing else. If it were truly inevitable you would just sell.

For instance let's say you get cancer before this all goes down. Do you still move?

CelestialScribe posted:

Yeah, and this is my dilemma. It's certainly way, way easier to sell up now, take the equity, then buy a house in the States in a few years once we've settled, etc.

But I can't shake the idea that we might move back here eventually. And if we do, and we don't have a house in the States OR here, we're kind of screwed as long-term wealth planning goes. I know what most people here would say: that yes, you can invest in stocks and renting is cheaper over the long term. But isn't it also true that home ownership is a massive advantage when it comes to building long-term wealth?

I mean, of the people here who are telling me it won't matter if I don't own property in 10-15 years, how many of you rent right now? What are your thoughts on the idea of building long-term wealth outside of home ownership?

The wealth building comes from having a property that only requires maintenance and property tax costs. You could make substantially more just investing it all. A house should be viewed as a place to live not to make money. The reason not the latter is because even in stable markets the appreciation is terrible. And the Aus market isn't stable. It is even more perplexing when you're contemplating this and stating the move is inevitable.

CelestialScribe posted:

The answer to this question is obvious.

It really isn't. You can get health insurance much cheaper with less comprehensive plans and you're stating you will move back if you run into anything major. So why pay a premium for something you will never use? Hell the #1 cause of major medical bills for someone your age are car accidents.... and car insurance includes coverage for that.

This would be a terrible idea for a normal person...but your plan is to move back if anything major medically arises.

That's all ignoring just how dumb it seems to move to a completely different country for lowe six figures. Low six figures is great and all but doesn't strike me as must move across the world asap levels. Esp since it seems you're doing well in Aus and also want to keep it so you can come back at anytime.

Edit: and as far as rent vs own I current rent and save a ton of my paycheck (low six figures) every month for retirement and for a future house if it ever makes sense. Right now the housing market is so inflated that renting is the better choice. Unless I were an idiot and was ok with an almost 2 hour commute...but my time has a value too you see.

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 30, 2019

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

In any case, my main concern isn't the long-term growth of the asset but the negative cashflow and how that will affect me.

If that's truly your main concern, sell the house.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CelestialScribe posted:

Look, this is what I'm weighing up. When you say, "what if housing values go down", that's absolutely true. But there is just as good a chance - if not a better chance - that they go up, at least over the long term.

There really, really isn't. The US is in the middle of an enormous housing bubble again because nothing effective was done after the last one nearly crashed our economy.

Now it's 10 more years down the road, the boomers are dying off with nothing to their names but home equity, and their grandkids' generation are putting off first home purchases until their 40's because wages have stagnated so badly that they can't afford to even consider a downpayment.

I've got a lot of family in the trades out here, and homebuilding has completely dried up since last fall. Nobody's buying.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 30, 2019

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 28, 2020

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Liquid Communism posted:

The US is in the middle of an enormous housing bubble again because nothing effective was done after the last one nearly crashed our economy.

Melbourne is too, but OP isn't interested in hearing it, so. :shrug:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I think property values will generally keep up with inflation assuming you keep the property in generally the same condition, over a very long period of time. This has been shown with historical data and it makes sense logically. Layered on top of that very basic assumption are hundreds of things that add to the complexity, risk, cost and effort involved.

I have been arguing on this forum for almost a decade that owning a house is generally a good thing to do because rents are going to keep going up faster than home ownership costs, but there is no way I would keep my house in the US if I decided to move to New Zealand or Japan. That's just crazy. When I read your posts they remind me of someone talking about how rich they are going to get selling LulaRoe.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Just found this thread - wanted to chime in as a seattlite to note that if you are still planning on driving to work, taking the 520 bridge during rush hour every day will cost you upwards of $150/mo in bridge tolls. The fast lane on 405 also costs a significant amount of money if you expect to use that on a commute. We don't have a state income tax here so stuff like that can be wildly expensive. Just keep that in mind when you are looking at where to live.

I am also happy to share budget stuff (though my life is pretty different from yours) or answer Seattle questions.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Moving a young special needs kid to the US education and healthcare system is unwise.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
1. Buy a house if you don't want to live in an apartment, condo, or horseboat.

It might go up in value, it might go down. But take that out of the equation and see item 1

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Moneyball posted:

1. Buy a house if you don't want to live in an apartment, condo, or horseboat.

It might go up in value, it might go down. But take that out of the equation and see item 1

I’m fine with living in an apartment. Most apartments I’ve seen in the areas of Seattle we like are the same size as my house here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CelestialScribe posted:

So in the next couple of years, my family and I will be moving to the United States. Because I'm anal, I'm already planning things out and seeing what the cost of living is going to be like.

We will probably move to the Seattle area.

Some background:

- I have no consumer debt of any kind.
- Given my experience and my field, I'm thinking a salary around $90k-$100k is achievable. Not going to give any more information here, but I think this is reasonably fair.
- I have one child, he's four with special needs (autism). Sorta verbal but relatively high functioning. He can go to day care and will go to school, though will probably need an aid.
- My wife will probably work, but I'm not going to include her income in this.
- We plan to rent for a year before buying anywhere. We already own a house in Australia, and will rent that out when we leave.
- I have an emergency fund of about $40,000AUD. I'll lift that to $50,000AUD by the time we move. Though we don't plan to move until I have a job.

What I need is some advice on cost of living. I have no idea where to start researching, but by using a state-based pay calculator I was able to find out that for a $100,000 salary, take home pay per month would be $6,827.

I came up with the following budget. I guess I'm looking for advice - have I missed anything? Am I wildly over-estimating cost of living? What should I look to trim back on or prepare for? I'm sort of flying blind here as I haven't lived in the States since I was a child.

Take home pay:

$6,827

Charitable giving (this is kind of non-negotiable) $ 546.00
Car Registration $ 41.00
Car Repair $ 125.00
Health Insurance $ 500.00 (I have no loving clue what this is going to cost - this is a big one I need advice on)
Car Insurance $ 120.00
Mortgage $ 1,800.00 (includes HOA, property taxes, etc)
Utilities (elec, water, gas) $ 200.00
Home/Life Insurance/Income Protection $ 150.00
Internet $ 50.00
Phones $ 80.00
Netflix $ 10.00
Hulu $ 10.00
Apple Music $ 10.00
Groceries $ 500
Petrol $ 300
Retirement (15%) $ 1,024.05
Misc for my son's needs $ 200.00
Spending - Wife $ 300.00
Spending - Me $ 300.00
Extra budget for my house back in Aus - top up mortgage payment, council fees, rates, elec. $ 500.00

That leaves me with...$61.

Now, that's *after* 15% retirement. I'm also assuming a lot there with the insurance.

But I would ideally love to save $10,000 a year AFTER retirement savings just with my salary. Am I over-estimating here? I know stuff is cheaper in the States, but I don't really know what I don't know.

Any advice, however brief, would be welcome.

spend less on candles

seriously though hope you like rain

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think the most fascinating part of this is your apparent interest in the presidential election.

Edit: To elaborate, a 200k income would put you within the top single digit percentile in this country. Even in the expensive city of Seattle, a 200k annual income puts you at double the median household income.

Make a bunch of stupid choices and maintain your backup house in Australia or whatever, who cares? You're living better than almost everyone on the planet.

Do you think it really matters who is elected president here? It isn't like Donald Trump is going to put you on the travel ban list along with Eritrea.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 7, 2020

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm just concerned he will immediately get cancer upon moving here, as most people tend to do.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

THis is a comedy forum and not really the best venue to expect people to read your mind and know that you have concerns like that. Okay! Thanks!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

I've already explained my concern, you just brought it up again for no reason.

What exactly is your concern? As someone with a job lined up for 200k per year with a backup house, you think paying an insurance deductible will make you go broke? You might have to sell your backup house or dip into your ten thousand a year post retirement savings? Obviously you have and will be making enough money to pay for any sort of medical care for any sort of medical condition possible in this world. What a weird fear, particularly given that you apparently know that some people can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
As the author of one of the dumbest and shittiest threads I have ever seen on this forum in two decades, which is quite a feat, I trust you are well aware that a 200k personal income places you within the top 3% nationally and in some infinitesimally small elite percentage globally? Your pages of whining about budgets and paranoia of having to spend a few dollars to get medical care are both absurd and disturbing.

When Americans speak about issues in our healthcare system, we are speaking about how people living paycheck to paycheck struggle with surprise bills and lack the social power to hire lawyers to protect them when they are abused by powerful insurance companies. A job that pays in the range of 200k per year individually obviously places you beyond the reach of any financial danger in any plausible situation in any country.