Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

You really do pick the strangest hills on which to die.

This thread makes his anti-Bernie posting in the Dem Primary thread make a bunch more sense.

loving 200k income and worried about going bankrupt. Let me break out the world's smallest violin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

You seem to be unaware of how medical bankruptcies in the United States work.

You're going to be making enough that you'll have the really good insurance that will ensure that can't happen.

You're in the top 3%, America is literally built for people like you, you're never going to have to worry about anything in your life if you have even a little financial savvy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

Even if you have medical insurance, all it takes is for you to have an emergency surgery with a doctor or surgeon who is out of network. Bam, easily $200,000 or $300,000 in debt, not covered by your insurance. Not to mention if your insurance decides to just not cover you for the length of that hospital stay (which I shouldn't have to tell you, happens all the loving time).

If you want to search for real examples of this, just loving Google sometime.

Okay, in that case, I hope you're doing everything in your power to get Bernie Sanders elected President so we can get Medicare For All and then you won't have to worry about the incredibly rare chance your rich rear end goes bankrupt.

E: VVV You appear to be overly worried about minor risks to an unhealthy degree. :therapy:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 9, 2020

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OP you appear to be panicking because it is impossible to remove all risk from life. I honestly and sincerely think you should use some of that $200,000 to pay a therapist to talk these fears over with, maybe a trained professional can help you realize you're being extremely irrational because you clearly aren't going to accept it when it's just "internet people" telling you that.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I love this thread :allears:

It's an amazing insight into what people with a shitload of money worry about. Turns out, completely irrational things since they correctly realize they have nothing rational to worry about because money solves most rational problems.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cicero posted:

The bizarre and hosed up medical system is a major concern for even well paid techies. I work in Germany for Google, and one of the major reasons why Europeans I've worked with are often disinterested in transferring stateside is health care, CelestialScribe is very far from an outlier in terms of his concern here, and it's pretty funny to see people try to argue from the left that he's overestimating how much of a problem it is. It's obviously much less of a problem if you're paid very well, but disasters can still absolutely happen and it's very normal for people to worry about that, just like my wife worrying about school shootings if/when we move back to the US even though statistically this is incredibly unlikely.

Okay, but do you and your wife spend your time melting down online about the risk of school shootings or is it just a passive worry at the back of your mind, like most of us have about various fears we realize are unlikely to happen?

That is the difference between a sensible person and the OP.

He has been reassured over and over that his fears are overblown. Even you agree on this, despite wanting to defend him out of class solidarity reasons.