Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are some good rare magic weapons in 5e that try to ask my DM to let me have a gun version o? It's a level 12 character, so Beserker Axe is tempting to really double down on hp.

sunblade, or wounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Does weapons include staves? Get a staff of insect swarming and have a bee bee gun :v:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Outrail posted:

Derringer of Many Things, on a hit the creature suffers the effect of drawing a card.

he'll yes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

sunblade, or wounding.

The sunblade seems like its mainly useful against undead in which case I might as well figure out holy water bullets and get the same effect. Wounding won't be very effective against the saves most enemies have because DC 15 would probably be easy to flex off.

My thinking is either Dragon's Wrath (Rare) since its 1d6 of some random damage type, I can probably ask for Thunder damage since its a gun. Or have it change based on maybe special bullets? Could be cool, the DM might go for that, and it'd have +1 to attack and damage rolls, then use Bracers of Archer (DM is already letting me apply Arcane Archer to be able to use firearms, I'm Fighter-Arcane Archer 5/Assassin Rogue 7, maxed CON though for a John Wick build) to get to +3 to attack and damage, and then that probably leaves Ring of Protection for +1 AC and Saves for probably 18 AC using Elven Chain for medium armor.

Or Axe of the Beserker and try to get to close to 170 hp (already took Tough as a feat and have around 150-160 hp).

Outrail posted:

Derringer of Many Things, on a hit the creature suffers the effect of drawing a card.

Hilarious if the negatives also apply to the enemies.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Vorpal shotgun

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bagrada posted:

Vorpal shotgun
That’s just a normal shotgun, used at vorpal sword range

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bagrada posted:

Vorpal shotgun

Legendary rarity and I think I'm limited to rare.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

The sunblade seems like its mainly useful against undead in which case I might as well figure out holy water bullets and get the same effect.

The sun gun/blade deals radiant damage, which bypasses a lot of immunities.

The risk from a Berserker Gun I think is the curse specifies that you attack the nearest target. With a gun, you're probably not in the front line, so you're likely to turn around and shoot the wizard in the head.

A quick skim gives me three ideas:

Frost Brand can deal additional cold damage and give you fire resistance, which can be clutch.

Javelin of Lightning can basically launch a lightning bolt once a day, on top of its regular use. Think like some underbarrel shotgun (but lightning).

Sword of Wounding can tack on some ticking necrotic damage, which can mess up enemies with a poor constitution save. The 1d4 necrotic is guaranteed first round, I think, and it's cumulative for each instance? Plus you can hit the squishy backline with a gun.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 28, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
how about a single action revolver with a cool “fan the hammer” ability where you can make an additional attack as a bonus action but you have to roll a d8 and if you roll a 1 it backfires and hits you. if you want to make it busted you can have rolling an 8 give you a third attack

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 28, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

The sun gun/blade deals radiant damage, which bypasses a lot of immunities.
gun.

Right, and sword of wounding damage cannot be healed magically.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I wanted to make an "Old West Gunslinger" type character and I went with Warlock using a non-functional gun for Eldritch blasts and different "custom bullets" for certain spells.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If your DM is gonna let you make special bullets anyways just ask for bullets with effects you want.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like to make magic weapons that just have abilities from obscure subclasses. a magic gunslinger would be cool with a variant of the soulknife’s psychic teleportation:

Psychic Teleportation. As a bonus action, you manifest one of your Psychic Blades, expend one Psionic Energy die and roll it, and throw the blade at an unoccupied space you can see, up to a number of feet away equal to 10 times the number rolled. You then teleport to that space, and the blade vanishes.

you could probably reskin the psionic energy die as a type of bullet

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

man I would love to know how much use "teleport between 10 and 80 feet as a bonus action" gets across all 5e play. kind of a big variance in outcomes there

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Valentin posted:

man I would love to know how much use "teleport between 10 and 80 feet as a bonus action" gets across all 5e play. kind of a big variance in outcomes there

its just cunning action but way better and more interesting

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So maybe better than cunning action and maybe worse, but you don't know until it really matters.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

tbh I was not particularly impressed by it (10 feet of teleportation doesn't seem worth it for a resource expenditure) but reading soulknife now I'm seeing it has relatively little to spend that resource on to begin with so the ability becomes comparatively better, especially since the other primary thing you can spend it on (adding to accuracy of psionic knife attacks) is limited by the usefulness of the psionic knives compared to other attack options which is ehhh just okay because of wizards' insane fear that if you let the class that summons knives as a class feature use those knives for anything other than a very specific set of actions, this will somehow break the game

Valentin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 28, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's good when you need it, the soulknife rogue in my campaign uses it all the time to cross caverns/get unstuck when surrounded by enemies, etc etc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Valentin posted:

tbh I was not particularly impressed by it (10 feet of teleportation doesn't seem worth it for a resource expenditure) but reading soulknife now I'm seeing it has relatively little to spend that resource on to begin with so the ability becomes comparatively better, especially since the other primary thing you can spend it on (adding to accuracy of psionic knife attacks) is limited by the usefulness of the psionic knives compared to other attack options which is ehhh just okay because of wizards' insane fear that if you let the class that summons knives as a class feature use those knives for anything other than a very specific set of actions, this will somehow break the game

10 ft of teleportation gets you out of AOO range for all but the most extreme of reach situations.

It is absurdly powerful lol.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, and sword of wounding damage cannot be healed magically.

What is the interaction between a sword of wounding and troll regeneration?

Do you have to basically solo the troll with the SOW to kill it?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What would be 5 good magic items for a wizard.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Five wands of fireball

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

If your DM is gonna let you make special bullets anyways just ask for bullets with effects you want.

I'm not actually using special bullets, the gun is just a prop to disguise* that my character is actually casting spells, he doesn't need it at all. I only mentioned it because it seemed tangential to what Ranier Salazar was talking about.

* for backstory reasons

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You need another party member whos pretending to be a magic user using a gun with special bullets.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hollismason posted:

5 smaller wizards

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I gave an artificer a revolver with six "charges" a day. At the beginning of the day, the artificer could decide which damage type the gun was loaded with for those six "charges" from acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison damage.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I gave an artificer a revolver with six "charges" a day. At the beginning of the day, the artificer could decide which damage type the gun was loaded with for those six "charges" from acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison damage.

similarly, i gave a gloomstalker ranger a revolver with six arcane focus crystals in the cylinder, and a mithril bead on the hammer that expels force damage on crystal impact through the barrel up to 60 feet (1d8 damage). he can “fan the hammer” as a bonus action and roll a d6, and if he rolls a 6 he can do it again, and if he rolls a 1 one of the crystals shatters permanently. it’s extremely sick for RP and not particularly broken, since he isnt good at the game and always forgets about his gloomstalker abilities

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not actually using special bullets, the gun is just a prop to disguise* that my character is actually casting spells, he doesn't need it at all. I only mentioned it because it seemed tangential to what Ranier Salazar was talking about.

* for backstory reasons

Yeah I meant to quote this part of the post

quote:

The sunblade seems like its mainly useful against undead in which case I might as well figure out holy water bullets and get the same effect.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

I wish there was more stuff RAW that differentiated damage types. Thankfully it's pretty easy to lift effects from cantrips and other spells to spice things up, cold reduces movement speed, lightning means you can't take reactions, etc.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Hollismason posted:

Any of the 5 spellbooks in Tasha's. You could just run around constantly flipping through pages for the right spell

Valentin posted:

If you have never played with a Horizon Walker in the party, it is equal parts cool, annoying, useful, and useless.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My Horizon walker ranger was the bane of my GM's existence.

I was just an absolute rear end in a top hat teleporting around at the maximum resource cost of 1hp damage to a friendly or object. After I completely sequence broke one of his major set pieces he had to extremely carefully plan everything. Not to mention Ethereal step at like level 7

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dexo posted:

My Horizon walker ranger was the bane of my GM's existence.

just an absolute rear end in a top hat teleporting around at the maximum resource cost of 1hp damage to a friendly or object. After I completely sequence broke one of his major set pieces he had to extremely carefully plan everything.

im jealous of your gm. i put my players in front of an unlocked door and they spend ten minutes doing investigation checks for a hide-a-key before one of them tries turning the handle

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

im jealous of your gm. i put my players in front of an unlocked door and they spend ten minutes doing investigation checks for a hide-a-key before one of them tries turning the handle
Now I notice you specifically avoided mentioning traps there, so I'm just going to pull out my 10ft pole and spend the next 30 minutes prodding every brick to avoid your devious plan.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Now I notice you specifically avoided mentioning traps there, so I'm just going to pull out my 10ft pole and spend the next 30 minutes prodding every brick to avoid your devious plan.

thats the good part. theyre careless enough that they always get caught in every trap

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Valentin posted:

When you already have Cunning Action to either dash or disengage as a bonus action? It gets you past window bars, through arrowslits, and generally places you really shouldn't be as long as there's a fist sized gap. How much rogueing do your rogues do?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

honestly i've never played at a table with a rogue at that level, so i would say my rogues are doing zero roguing but it's a useful framing. i wasn't even thinking outside the grid; at 9th level 99% of parties i've been in would simply cast dimension door 1-3 times if a teleportation-solvable problem arose during exploration.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Are College of Valor/College of Swords any good for a Bard? I think Valor is supposed to be better for casting and Swords for melee, but I don't really have the experience to know which of those, if any, are good. I haven't really had any inspiration to play a Bard, except for one notion of (boring character idea stuff here: someone with the Noble background who flees after learning his parents set him up in an an arranged marriage - not because the bride-to be is undesirable, but because the Bard is secretly afflicted with some kind of curse he seeks to cure before anyone finds out. Something which would put the Bard or the bride-to-be in danger and/or something which could be passed along to the bride-to-be. I don't have a solid idea for the curse, either. All I know is that (1) it's not vampirism or something which would be an incredible liability while adventuring, and (2) that it should be something which is more powerful than a Remove Curse spell could handle.) ...But I'm not sure that concept even needs to be a Bard, it could just be a Swashbuckler Rogue or something else, even.

Is the Defensive Duelist feat good (and specifically a good feat for a Valor/Swords Bard)?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 29, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So for additional context, I know guns can get special bullets because that's how its worked before with other player's who use guns. I.e +1 bullets, bullets that explode in a 10' radius akin to Ice Knife; bullets that have a minus To Hit for Plus to Damage, Bullets that do more damage to Fey, etc, so "Holy Water Bullets" in that they do like 2d6 extra to Undead isn't out of the question and seems likely, esp. factoring in just dipping regular bullets into Holy Water pre-combat, if there's undead.

In particularly I'm looking at magic item weapons with interesting stats given that we've had a lot of homebrew items in the past to find something where "Okay I'd like to select this as my magic item but its a gun, and leaves open the door to swapping out bullets for interesting effects". To my mind its probably an easier sell to use an existing magic item as a template, where the "way" it does damage or provides its effect doesn't require a lot of imagination to figure out "how that works".

Sun Blade at the end of the day is a Light Sabre, how does that work as a gun? Is it a Forerunner Laser gun from Halo? I just wanna be John Wick for this one shot so I just want a gun that shoots bullets even if they're magic bullets, there needs to be that inner consistency. And locking the gun to "Sun Blade" I suspect would mean locking out the ability to stumble upon interesting bullets to use as ammo.

It's possible I could ask for an Uncursed version of Beserker Axe, but at the sametime the Curse actually fits John Wicks character in the films, where the whole first movie is basically because he decided violence was the first, second, third, and last response. So it being cursed isn't really relevant to me, it could go either way for me. At the end of the day I see it as a template to have basically a +1 gun that also gives me +12 hp.

Flame Tongue has the problem of the 40' of bright light, not very stealthy, although it does fit that gun that shot Dragon's Breath rounds In the 4th movie with the overhead drone camera; that was cool. But yeah extra 2d6 fire damage but no plus's to hit.

I'm probably just probably better off getting a +2 gun, doesn't require attunement, and ends up at +4 to hit and damage from Bracers of Archery (which does require attunement).

Is there a different wounding weapon then what I found here? https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Sword%20of%20Wounding#content

According to this each round they can make a Constitution saving throw, DC 15. That's rarely going to work against most enemies. Custom NPCs use our stat Block that we rolled at the start of the campaign and we basically rolled an Epic Array (18, 16, 14, 11, 11, 8), and Bosses of course have large saves; it's rare there's going to be an NPC that takes that damage each round and I think it won't add up to very much?

Fake Edit, okay I misread it and missed that not only does this prevent healing, but also that the wounding damage stacks until they save. Okay that's potentially a game changer as an arcane archer fighter/assassin rogue, I'll consider it. I like the idea of rp'ing that as repeatedly shooting someone in the leg/kneecaps.

Ah except its only once per turn and not once per hit. Why the gently caress does D&D constantly take away fun. I wanted to action action surge and apply like 6 stacks of Wounding in a single round. :smith: (Do the Wounding damage get doubled from the Assassin's auto crit?)

For magic items potentially requiring attunement my choices are three of the following I suspect: Bracers of Archery, Rare Magic Weapon, Ring of Protection, and Boots of Speed (10 minutes is like 100 rounds right? That's basically infinite in combat!).

I think one thing to consider might be the Assassin's auto-crit feature because a weapon with extra dice then gets doubled, but there doesn't seem a lot of magic weapons that really take advantage of this except for maybe Flame Tongue and its widely resisted/immune fire damage.

As an aside I notice a few uncommon magic items that don't require attunement though that seems like I could reflavour them. Like Circlet of Blasting. Now this wouldn't work with my action economy but maybe the DM will let me have it as a Scorching Ray Bullet Dispenser where once/Long Rest I get the +5 To Hit Bullet that also does the bonus Scorching Ray damage? It would align with most of the powercreep we've seen from previous homebrew but also its possible the DM might want to soft reset the power curve for the one shot except for the one character we're rescuing with these new characters because of a teleportation accident.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Just gonna splash holy water on myself and grapple vampires til they explode now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Phandalin trip report: The party was nearly TPK'd by the Mage at Old Owl Well ...cone of cold is a hell of a drug. So now they're gunshy as hell and slowly whittling down the forces at Wyvern Tor slowly. An action shot...