Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Give that ability to anyone who wants to "tank".

I must have completely missed Challenge.

If you Challenge a creature, do you necessarily have to engage it? How far away can you be? If you can Challenge one dude, and run over to block another dude, that'd be handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You get one opportunity attack per round, and taking Sentinel delays your To Hit. If you're fighting a single monster (which will not be a threat to a full party unless it is really customized) and have other ways to negate the loss of a +2 to your ability score, those two combined are great.

Yeah, attack or opportunity as a bonus actions really squashes the ability to pull mobs

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Section Z posted:

I wish I loving knew. But even friends of mine who LOVE such things and are familiar with such mechanics have had to regularly be reminded "You get to use DEX damage, you know." between lulls in gaming.

I thought it was just my friends being forgetful until I saw it a couple other times, but only the Unexpectables one really stuck as a specific in my mind.

How the gently caress do people not just write down what their attack and damage +s are and read them?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nelson posted:

Why? Are the opportunity attack rules and the Sentinel feat not good enough?

The AOO rules are lacking because:

1. a single attack from a martial often does not deal enough damage to be scary to a monster, since the expected-damage of a martial relies on multi-attacks
2. a martial only has a single Reaction, unless you poach the Tunnel Fighter fighting style from the Underdark UA
3. even if Sentinel's movement-cancellation makes it potent beyond the damage of a single hit, #2 is still an issue
4. and then you still actually have to hit with the AOO, which still isn't a given

in comparison, 3e's Iron Guard's Glare was a "stance/aura" that didn't need an attack roll to provide its effect. Neither did 4e's Marking. By imposing a penalty on the target's attacks when they don't attack the tank, the onus is on the monster to attack the tank, rather than the tank hoping to be a enough of a threat that the monster will want to attack them.

Toshimo posted:

Why even have all that duration nonsense? 5 rounds is effectively forever, already.

Fair point.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I must have completely missed Challenge.

If you Challenge a creature, do you necessarily have to engage it? How far away can you be? If you can Challenge one dude, and run over to block another dude, that'd be handy.

You didn't "miss" it. That's just something I homebrewed up right now (inspired by Pathfinder's Spheres of Might) :)

I would say it's "ranged" up to your respective lines-of-sight (and/or sound), and it wouldn't oblige the character to attack whoever they challenged.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

How the gently caress do people not just write down what their attack and damage +s are and read them?

I know right? That's why the initial example was to prepare for the GM telling a player "DEX for damage? That's crazy!".

When my friends had to remind a player who has barely done any DnD things like "You get your prof bonus to hit, it's not just there to prevent a penalty" and actually hit, that's one thing.

It's a bit more stand out when it's a GM telling a player who did write it down "Nope, that doesn't sound right to me" over basic attack calculations.

Oh, to live in a world where every time the GM says "No, you're wrong" is to follow up with "You forgot to add X, which means you succeeded, good job."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 22, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

The AOO rules are lacking because:

1. a single attack from a martial often does not deal enough damage to be scary to a monster, since the expected-damage of a martial relies on multi-attacks
2. a martial only has a single Reaction, unless you poach the Tunnel Fighter fighting style from the Underdark UA
3. even if Sentinel's movement-cancellation makes it potent beyond the damage of a single hit, #2 is still an issue
4. and then you still actually have to hit with the AOO, which still isn't a given

in comparison, 3e's Iron Guard's Glare was a "stance/aura" that didn't need an attack roll to provide its effect. Neither did 4e's Marking. By imposing a penalty on the target's attacks when they don't attack the tank, the onus is on the monster to attack the tank, rather than the tank hoping to be a enough of a threat that the monster will want to attack them.

Fair point.

You didn't "miss" it. That's just something I homebrewed up right now (inspired by Pathfinder's Spheres of Might) :)

I would say it's "ranged" up to your respective lines-of-sight (and/or sound), and it wouldn't oblige the character to attack whoever they challenged.

I could swear the DMG had optional rules for Marking.

This isn't it though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This isn't it though.

It does help a bit at least.

Most of the DMG variant rules help out. I like cleaving so I can include more hordes of weaker enemies that the players can cut like wheat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This isn't it though.

nope, that's it. It just isn't anything like what you'd need to address the issue

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

nope, that's it. It just isn't anything like what you'd need to address the issue

I thought for sure in the previous thread that people mentioned an optional rule that was literally Marking from 4e, in the 5e DMG. Now I just feel like my life is a lie.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kaysette posted:

I’d run Lost Mines of Phandelver to get then to 5 then turn them loose in the Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

LMoP is easy to run/play and has plenty of hooks you can use to send them to Waterdeep for the mega dungeon. I think there’s a mysterious map they find; it could be a map of the first level of the dungeon.

Cool, that works, thanks! Mega dungeon is probably right up their street and mad mages as villains fits right in with the early 1e modules’ baddies.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sentinel posted:

You have mastered techniques to take advantage of every drop in any enemy's guard, gaining the following benefits:
- When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature's speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
- Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach.
- When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), it has disadvantage on the attack roll.

I fixed Sentinel, guys.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Reveilled posted:

Cool, that works, thanks! Mega dungeon is probably right up their street and mad mages as villains fits right in with the early 1e modules’ baddies.

The other option to Mad mage is to grab Tales from the Yawning Portal, since it’s a collection of reboots of classic old school dnd dungeon crawls.

(Definitely do LMOP first though. It’s perfect for this and leaves you with a level 5 party that can jump into anything.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What if you just gave everyone that skirmisher ability so they could reposition on the fly ? No convoluted marking mechanics

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist posted:

I fixed Sentinel, guys.

I support this

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm looking for a little advice on the Strahd campaign I'm running. Vallaki story element spoilers

The players have arrived in Vallaki with Ismarck and Ireena in tow. The party has a paladin of lathander and was kind to the priest of the town, so they learned of the missing bones. A short investigation and a little intimidation later, they discovered the culprit and notified the guards. The guards led Henrik away in chains and the Baron invited them to dinner the following night as a thanks.

Now, the book really just drops this element, because my first thought is "what happens to Henrik"? So what I'm thinking is Izek takes to torturing Henrik overnight, and learns it was Milijov who stole the bones initially and arrests him. So while the PC's are at dinner, they'll be able to hear the moans of both npc's, with the baron completely casual about it. Maybe adding in there will be a public flogging of both at the Festival of the Blazing Sun. Is that over the top?

The other factor is since they returned the bones, the church is hallowed ground again. The party left Ireena in the church and if Izek goes to arrest Milijov while he's in the church, I can see her and Ismarck trying to stop him (btw I'm not doing the gross Izek wants to gently caress Ireena bit in the book, he's just an rear end in a top hat who works for the Baron) and from there her and Ismarck being banished, thus putting them in danger again. And if the players don't find out about it, that might be when Strahd attacks, leaving Ismarck to die and taking Ireena away.

Oh yeah, and they also left the vampire spawn in the coffin makers house. The two guards who were posted there might be dead in the morning.

So I'm not sure how to play it. Any advice is welcome.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'd be way too nervous about sending a really weak monster, and then that monster crits and does enough damage to down a PC. A kobold critting and then rolling well (even if it's a low chance, it's going to happen to someone) would down anyone at or below 12 HP. A d8 hit point class will have, unless there's some trickery involved that I'm unaware of, a maximum of 12 HP, assuming the Rogue decided to floor it on constitution. 2/3rds of level 1 classes have a maximum hit point level of 12 or below. Kobold is a CR 1/8th, and there's at least one 1/8th creature that rolls d8+1 for damage. There are a few CR 0 creatures that can one-shot dudes on a crit.

I mean, you could throw actual rats at them.

Edit: "Ok, guys, for this first session, monsters don't crit, they only hit on a 20" would be... a way to handle that.

We're talking about sub-kobolds here. Have them roll a 1d2+0 for damage. And the PCs have some level 5-10 NPC helping them.

The goal is simply to show them how to fight. It is about the practice of declaring their actions, rolling their dice and doing the math.

The mobs should also be dumb and do things like run away so people get chances to use their attacks of opportunity too.

Think of Level 1/Session 1 is the tutorial section of a video game.

If you're running a campaign with experienced players its fine to skip, but for new players I think it works best to run them through a quick session.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Section Z posted:

Poisoned status is insane in 5th edition, so be mindful of it as something to throw at the players. It's disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks (Which won't hinder your Vs Save casting :v: ). I expect this as much as anything is why straight up "Poisoned" as a status is single digits super loving rare as far as I can recall.

While we're on this topic...

-exhaustion is batshit insane and will automatically kill you at 6 stacks. To my knowledge, there are no effects available to players to inflict exhaustion stacks on an enemy but there might be some monster attack buried somewhere
-intellect devourers can just arbitrarily kill you on contact if you're not a wizard/don't have a high int
-banshees get an actual AoE save or die at CR 4

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be a list of newb trap monsters in the OP that hit far above their weight class/have horrific abilities newbie DMs might want to avoid, thoughts?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

-exhaustion is batshit insane and will automatically kill you at 6 stacks. To my knowledge, there are no effects available to players to inflict exhaustion stacks on an enemy but there might be some monster attack buried somewhere
-intellect devourers can just arbitrarily kill you on contact if you're not a wizard/don't have a high int

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be a list of newb trap monsters in the OP that hit far above their weight class/have horrific abilities newbie DMs might want to avoid, thoughts?

Sickening radiance inflicts radiant damage over a wide area and a level of exhaustion for each failed save

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
One of the effects of exhaustion is going to be disadvantage on saves, isn't it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

One of the effects of exhaustion is going to be disadvantage on saves, isn't it.

At 3 stacks, yeah.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I've been living in my new city (Boston) now for long enough that I feel ready and settled enough to head out into the gaming world again or whatever

I'm really jonesing for some tabletop rpg gaming, and short of knowing anyone, I've begun wondering if Adventurer's League is remotely fun

Is it as almost entirely DM-skill dependent as I'm imagining it is? What's the general idea of what it's all about? Is there RP and such?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There are a few monsters can can inflict exhaustion. But they tend to be high level. The only one I can recall off the top of my head is the Sibriex.

While dangerous the intellect devourer is not arbitrarily, even decently low Int characters have a good chance of surviving. But it pretty harsh for a such a low CR monster to have such a powerful attack. It would be better if the Drain only lasted like an ingame hour or so.

The Banshee is not a save or die. It's a save or drop to 0. Much more survivable. (Though still very dangerous.)

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been living in my new city (Boston) now for long enough that I feel ready and settled enough to head out into the gaming world again or whatever

I'm really jonesing for some tabletop rpg gaming, and short of knowing anyone, I've begun wondering if Adventurer's League is remotely fun

Is it as almost entirely DM-skill dependent as I'm imagining it is? What's the general idea of what it's all about? Is there RP and such?

Like most group activities, all of this depends purely on the people there. RP, what it is about, DM skill all of this varies from area to area. The only way to find out is to go.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 22, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Technically it's not save or die. It's save or drop to zero." reminds me.

Bookmark the entry for Healer's kits so you can immediately point to the fact they exist so you do not need to make a medicine check.

Healer's kits are amazing. Dirt cheap for 10 charges of "I stabilize them automatically. so there". God bless whoever snuck that in.

If anyone starts to say "But that makes Spare the Dying useless!", just point out the deep lore value of being able to stabilize a bunch of dying soldiers like an assembly line with no resources. Worked for me!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 22, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Most players find it deeply un-fun to be KO'ed before they get to take an action, and most players also find it deeply un-fun to sit out >1 round going "I'm still down/stunlocked/paralysed/whatever can someone please help me" while everyone else is playing D&D.

With most fights being 5-7 rounds, it's not unlikely that the optimal play is to leave a single downed character, win the fight, and get them up again at the end. So 0hp can quite often mean "out until the end of the fight".

So just maybe think about that before you use the intellect devourer or banshee or whatever other thing has a save or gently caress off you don't get to play D&D ability.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 22, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AlphaDog posted:

Most players find it deeply un-fun to be KO'ed before they get to take an action, and most players also find it deeply un-fun to sit out >1 round going "I'm still down/stunlocked/paralysed/whatever can someone please help me" while everyone else is playing D&D.

With most fights being 5-7 rounds, it's not unlikely that the optimal play is to leave a single downed character, win the fight, and get them up again at the end. So 0hp can quite often mean "out until the end of the fight".

So just maybe think about that before you use the intellect devourer or banshee or whatever other thing has a save or gently caress off you don't get to play D&D ability.

I think it's nice to put these sorts of effects on a warm-up the players are aware of. So they can see "oh, we have to kill this thing or something really bad happens next turn". Having a series of ticking timers is good to keep combat tense without ruining everyone's fun.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Hello Fellow New Englander! You may want to check out Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge, right off the red line, I'm pretty sure they run it regularly, plus you can get groups fairly easily there I would bet. I used to go up there lots, until I moved another half hour south.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My party has a party of NPCs follow them around so I made a table for their adventures:

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1b453rie4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A Banshee's Cry being potentially fatal to hear should also be something that is common knowledge for D&D adventurers like the fact that Trolls don't like fire. Like it should be something that nearly anybody in the setting knows if they live there.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you are ok with a train trip or drive to Quincy the Alpha Omega hobby store is fantastic. There are groups most nights, one just started for Wednesday night.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Reveilled posted:

My dad has expressed interest in playing D&D again, and is trying to get some of his old friends together for it, I’ve agreed to DM. Because I’m a player in another game I don’t want to go reading descriptions of all the published adventures for fear of spoiling things if my game’s DM runs them, so I’d like a recommendation. They played basic and 1st AD&D, so I’m after an adventure with very light RP (their idea of RP is “I stab my dagger through the innkeep’s hand and yell “where is the dungeon?!”) and a massive gently caress off huge dungeon.

What would fit?
This is out of left field and it's statted for basic d&d not 5e but I've been liking what I see in Anomalous Subsurface Environment. Cool setting and a huge dungeon with robots and laser guns and such in addition to the usual goblins and things.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 23, 2018

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Waffles Inc. posted:

SirFozzie posted:

Hello Fellow New Englander! You may want to check out Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge, right off the red line, I'm pretty sure they run it regularly, plus you can get groups fairly easily there I would bet. I used to go up there lots, until I moved another half hour south.

Also a New Englander, though I live further out west and can't recommend anything close to Boston. My old FLGS (before it shut down) had AL and it was pretty hit or miss, but I did make a good group of friends that I still play games with!

AL is also very DM-skill dependent, yes. The main DM at said store was great, the guy who ran the other table... less so.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Waffles Inc. posted:

I forget where you live but I play weekly AL games at Knight Moves in Brookline. It’s a bit DM dependent but we have a good one. Usually just one table going at a time. It’s on Monday nights for now but may switch next semester as we have a few grad student players with night classes. There’s a FB group for it if you’re interested.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is out of left field and it's statted for basic d&d not 5e but I've been liking what I see in Anomalous Subsurface Environment. Cool setting and a huge dungeon with robots and laser guns and such in addition to the usual goblins and things.

OK, initially I assumed there was some new simplified version of basic D&D you were talking about here and I was going to make some wilfully obtuse joke where I'd pretend I thought you were talking about early 80s Basic D&D. I'm glad now that I looked this up before posting that so I could realise that you really did mean early 80s Basic D&D. Holy poo poo.

Maybe this would be good as a campaign break, if we get a regular game going. Need to feel out the group a bit, see how they'd take what sounds like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks meets Dungeonland meets Greyhawk Ruins.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I updated my post on the first page with summaries of the non-adventure hardcovers. Hit me up if you have feedback on it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

I updated my post on the first page with summaries of the non-adventure hardcovers. Hit me up if you have feedback on it.

My only real input is maybe to make a note that that Eberron Guide is going to be updated with the Artificer when the class is completed. (Also not to get hung up on Psionics they are not particularly important to Eberron.)

In cool news another setting book is coming next year. If it's Dark Sun we can expect Psionics.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
My uncle who works at Nintendo has basically confirmed more spelljammer content is coming for 5e (and there’s a big clue about this in Mad Mage) but idk the timeline on that. There will also be Ravnica AL stuff eventually since I guess the experiment with Eberron went well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Toshimo posted:

Why even have all that duration nonsense? 5 rounds is effectively forever, already.

Because if you don't give it an explicit end time someone will argue that it lasts literally forever and make it an ancient curse or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Conspiratiorist posted:

I fixed Sentinel, guys.

This still costs you a feat. I feel like letting a player "be a tank" should be more something that they gain either as a fighting style or an archetype, in which case Sentinel is already "good enough" to add on something's baseline capabilities, if they have that baseline.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

My uncle who works at Nintendo has basically confirmed more spelljammer content is coming for 5e (and there’s a big clue about this in Mad Mage) but idk the timeline on that. There will also be Ravnica AL stuff eventually since I guess the experiment with Eberron went well.

I ran a one shot in Ravnica, and the setting was fun so I'm glad they're doing some AL stuff with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Isn't there also Planescape foreshadowing in Tomb of Annihilation? I remember that was what everyone was expecting before they announced Eberron and Ravnica.