Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

the red dragon N'klaw Rephotserik

You're talking to my guy all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a wand of fireballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

what other podcasts heavy on goofiness/comedy are recommended?

Never gonna not recommend Nerd Poker. Between the 4 main self published campaigns, the 130+ bonus episodes on Patreon, and the original campaigns at Earwolf, it's been going since 2012-ish. Don't listen if you're a rules lawyer.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

brap posted:

I want the players to be able to see the entire city map when I activate it, versus just seeing the top left corner of it, so I use a modestly sized image for the map.

You can set the initial view coordinates and zoom level in the map configuration. As for the rest...

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

I would like to see a D&D movie that understands that it’s a D&D movie

I believe you're looking for The Gamers 1,2 and 3. I know the first two are on YouTube, and the third one was available somewhere else back when I watched it, but is about the same gaming group getting into CCGs instead. The second one is the best one.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

Sort of, but with high production values and professional actors. Focusing more on the story, like an episode of Game of Thrones with a handful of short scenes that cut back to the game table.

I could not make it very far into that video because I couldn’t understand what anyone was saying.

Yeah, according to Wiki they had a $1000 budget for the first movie, and it shows. The second one is significantly better, though, and it can stand on its own. Not a Hollywood blockbuster by any means but definitely worth the price of admission. It's not like an actual film budget has done any good so far.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

I guess I’ll look into VTT options again and see what’s most workable for me. Thoughts on Roll20 vs Foundry vs etc with a target of the shortest learning curve for newbies?

Disclaimer: I've played on Roll 20, and DMed on Foundry. I tried DMing on the free tier of Roll20 and the experience was less than impressive, which combined with the subscription based platform pushed me to buy Foundry to run my game. I have had enough subscriptions that I ended up not utilizing for whatever reason but didn't want to cancel and lose what effort I'd put in, that the up front cost of Foundry was worth it.

To answer your question, I think any of the options today will be approachable enough to get newbs up and playing within the first session. The more advanced features aren't absolutely necessary to play, they generally just make automation easier. Either of those platforms are just websites to the end user, so there's very few hoops they have to jump through.

I'm partial to the multitude of add-on modules in Foundry for setting up my game, as well as total control over files, folders, and configuration I have by running my own server, though you can pay for fully integrated hosting if you want. These add-ons have the side effect of me wanting to spend more time thinking of cool ways to use them, instead of actually prepping my campaign, however, so approach with caution.

I'll always have a place in my heart, however, for MapTool. It is the opposite of what you want, but before I made real adult money I "used" MapTool, by which I mean I spent all my free time learning scripting to make my own macros from scratch, and very little time playing with it because I had to troubleshoot every player's machine to get it to run properly. In my heart I know it has potential to be great, and I'm also sure it's better than the last time I used it, but it suffers from the same problems that all open source projects have.

Edit: corrected spelling

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 30, 2024

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

Sure jumping into bottomless pits is a bad idea 99% of the time but its worth it for that 1% chance there's a new magic grimoire down there.

I would like to un-lurk just long enough to let you know that I appreciate this post.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

If muscle counts as magic then you can have a muscle wizard, and I want D&D to get to have muscle wizards.

Someone convert this to 5e, please.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

drat are they blowing these out?

I was at an Ollie's (is this a widely known chain? They've only started popping up around here a decade or so ago. It's just closeouts and overstock) and saw these for $3.99. A couple of them followed me home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

TheBizzness posted:

How long ago? Wondering if it’s worth a trip on Wednesday

Weeks ago at this point, but how can you pass up a trip to Ollie's?