Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Remember the exact page you can point to for "Finesse melee gets DEX on damage" so you can have it open already the moment a GM says "DEX for melee damage? That doesn't sound right." and avoid being told "We don't want to derail the game, just deal with it for now." Even goofball run for entertainment games like The Unexpectables done by Team 4 Star run into this for whatever reason.

Poisoned status is insane in 5th edition, so be mindful of it as something to throw at the players. It's disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks (Which won't hinder your Vs Save casting :v: ). I expect this as much as anything is why straight up "Poisoned" as a status is single digits super loving rare as far as I can recall.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

King of Solomon posted:

Why is this even a sticking point for people? Dex as a damage scaling stat isn't even uncommon among games.
I wish I loving knew. But even friends of mine who LOVE such things and are familiar with such mechanics have had to regularly be reminded "You get to use DEX damage, you know." between lulls in gaming.

I thought it was just my friends being forgetful until I saw it a couple other times, but only the Unexpectables one really stuck as a specific in my mind.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

How the gently caress do people not just write down what their attack and damage +s are and read them?

I know right? That's why the initial example was to prepare for the GM telling a player "DEX for damage? That's crazy!".

When my friends had to remind a player who has barely done any DnD things like "You get your prof bonus to hit, it's not just there to prevent a penalty" and actually hit, that's one thing.

It's a bit more stand out when it's a GM telling a player who did write it down "Nope, that doesn't sound right to me" over basic attack calculations.

Oh, to live in a world where every time the GM says "No, you're wrong" is to follow up with "You forgot to add X, which means you succeeded, good job."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 22, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Technically it's not save or die. It's save or drop to zero." reminds me.

Bookmark the entry for Healer's kits so you can immediately point to the fact they exist so you do not need to make a medicine check.

Healer's kits are amazing. Dirt cheap for 10 charges of "I stabilize them automatically. so there". God bless whoever snuck that in.

If anyone starts to say "But that makes Spare the Dying useless!", just point out the deep lore value of being able to stabilize a bunch of dying soldiers like an assembly line with no resources. Worked for me!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 22, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
One of my usual :sigh: issues with Rogues (which was also an issue in 4th ed) is how they are reputedly the "Find traps guy". Then you get saddled with finding traps running off WIS, AND official print traps where the spot DC can end up as high or higher than the disarm. And then 5th ed double dips by reviving Investigate, which uses INT.

"But you get expertise!" does not feel particularly impressive when it is used to shore up the fact that by default, Rogues can end up not so hot at finding traps. Or a well meaning GM saying "But the cleric took observant! That means they can find the traps FOR the rogue!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"To your left, 'Room full of bees'. To your right, 'Room full of gold'. Choose wisely."

Have both signs tell the truth. You will get away with at LEAST once, having both doors lead to the same room.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
More stuff like the Wanderer background feature (Which is my default pick for most characters of any class) just bolted onto fighters by default would be nice?

Wanderer feature in particular has two aspects.

Fantasy GPS: Always know north, none of this 'only on the prime material plane' bullshit. Instantly memorize any map you see. Built in automap with perfect memory for it. (Flavor text for 'things most groups take for granted anyways').

Auto forage: You automatically forage enough food and water for "Five medium creatures" per day, if there is even the least excuse to find anything. (Again, 'Things many groups take for granted')

This doesn't step on Ranger's gimmicks because ranger is much better at tracking, careful navigations rather than "I just walked out of the desert, it's not hard guys". And most important to a friend of mine worried about it, the forage is JUST food. You can't auto succeed on salvaging that sweet poison sack or dragon hide somebody wants for crafting or loot reasons.

Though I just like the idea that one of the reasons fighters don't "Interact with skill challenges" is that they think "Oh, this is easy stuff everyone can do.". So previous comments about free take 10's or other baked in successes on basic interactions could at least be a nice touch for more options.

You turn to the party bard to swing for the fences in diplomacy (or just cast charm). You turn to the ranger to stalk a manticore through a forest. You turn to the Fighter for immunity to poo poo rolls.

That and just pile on the BG features that have any actual value.

Need to cross a large body of water but the module or GM forgot to include HOW? Ship's Passage feature has you covered. Wizard hosed up their lore role? Researcher means you happen to know a guy who could answer the question or heard some rumor of a convenient abandoned tower of exposition. Throw in "Me and the party travel double speed in cities out of combat" City Secrets because why the gently caress not?

Infinite Karma posted:

Give fighters a "heroic admiration" ability. Whenever someone sees a fighter do something heroic/dangerous that the witness wouldn't have done himself (too afraid, too risky, etc...), and the fighter succeeds, he makes permanent allies. Whether it's a king or an enemy bandit or a guard platoon, the fighter charms them into admiration and loyalty. How about something like that?
Stuff like this is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am huge nerd who wishes Quest for Glory's take on Paladins was used more often. :shobon: Just trying to be a decent person saving the day, but you won't get hosed for stumbles in getting the job done.

But because you can honestly bounce back from "You robbed an old lady's house? Your magic sword won't be so hot (Literally, the magic blue flame shrunk) until you get back on track with being a hero" That doesn't have the whole GM fiat punishment system allure for pointing at some list of behavior niches.

That and for all the honest desire for some godly guidelines for their character, it can still end up an uphill climb to be on the same page as the GM even with the best intentions for following your divine checklist.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 28, 2018