Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been living in my new city (Boston) now for long enough that I feel ready and settled enough to head out into the gaming world again or whatever

I'm really jonesing for some tabletop rpg gaming, and short of knowing anyone, I've begun wondering if Adventurer's League is remotely fun

Is it as almost entirely DM-skill dependent as I'm imagining it is? What's the general idea of what it's all about? Is there RP and such?

If you are ok with a train trip or drive to Quincy the Alpha Omega hobby store is fantastic. There are groups most nights, one just started for Wednesday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe I've just been lucky with my groups in that no one is ever the "thing-guy". Someone may find a trap but solving it is either a group effort or whoever can strong arm or fiddle it open usually is the go too.

If a door is locked give someone a chance to break it down before moving to trying to pick it open. Or knock an punch anyone on the other side. :)

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Traps get really confusing when you tack in Barbarian's danger sense. Advantage to avoiding traps you know are there. But if you know they are there then you'd avoid them. Became a dead rule for my regular group.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

What? No.

It's advantage to avoid the effects of a trap unless the effects are somehow undetectable. Like you didn't know the pressure plate was a trap, but you sure notice the barrage of arrows it triggered, and get advantage on the ensuing DEX save.

Yeah that is very clear. Thinking about it it may have come to DM of where it applies despite it being clear. It may have been an issue of not wanting dex advantage 90% of the time for traps. Party did the overly thorough checking of traps.

Or I'm wrong an a dumb idiot. More likely that.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I want them to have more toys, I played one for I want to say around five years. "I Rage" was pretty much in almost every session, understandably, an I think my combat thing was shield because I was the defender.

More toys for Barbarian please.