Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
First Party Hardback Expansions

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

What is it: A book focusing on the setting and lore of the Sword Coast, a specific and popular region of Faerun/The Forgotten Realms.

What's in it:
  • A broad overview of Forgotten Realms as a setting including history, regions, and Gods. A much more specific detailing of a number of areas within the Sword Coast.
  • A lot of information detailing setting specific versions of PHB races including rules for new mechanical variants:
  • Ghostwise Halflings
  • Svirfneblin Gnomes
  • Duergar Dwarves
  • Tiefling cosmetic options
  • The following new class archetypes:
    • Dwarven Battlerager Barbarian
    • Totem Barbairan Elk and Tiger totem options
    • Arcana Clerics
    • Bannerette Fighter
    • Long Death and Sun Soul Monk
    • Order of the Crown Paladin
    • Mastermind and Swashbuckler Rogue
    • Storm Sorceror
    • Undying Warlock
    • Bladesinger Wizard

Who should buy it: There's a lot of Sword Coast information for DMs who want to play a game in the region but for anyone interested in Faerun as a setting would be better served buying the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting which is easy to find used or available on DriveThru. For prospective players, many of the archetypes are reprinted in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Swashbuckler is a must have option for players who like rogues but is among the XtGE reprints.

Short version: Most of the content in this book is better presented elsewhere. Skippable.

-----

Volo's Guide to Monsters

What is it: A supplementary monster manual/bestiary with flavor excerpts from the perspective of hapless Faerun wandering bard Volo and nigh omnipotent caster Elminster.

What's in it:
  • Extensive sections on the lore, personality, culture, and ecology of the following monsters:
    • Beholders
    • Giants
    • Gnolls
    • Goblinoids
    • Hags
    • Kobolds
    • Mind Flayers
    • Orcs
    • Yuan-Ti
  • Over 120 new monsters with stat blocks including some common creatures and a number of generic NPCs of specific classes
  • 7 new player races:
    • Aasimar
    • Firbolg
    • Goliath
    • Kenku
    • Lizardman
    • Tabaxi
    • Triton
  • Untested options for monstrous player characters

Who should buy this: DM's looking for expanded encounter options or better design and roleplay context for some popular monsters. Players who are interested in playing any of the expanded races or monsters like Orcs, Goblins, or Kobolds without homebrewing from scratch. People who love reading about fantasy monsters, particularly fans of Beholders and Mind Flayers.

Short version: Must buy, especially if you will ever DM. This is both the best value and maybe best written non-adventure book they have released.

------

Xanathar's Guide to Everything

What it is: A compendium of new options and archetypes for players, many reprinted from other materials,some DM advice, options, and clarification on some more common but underexplained mechanics. Dozens of pages of character names for different races including long lists of real world Earth names.

What's in it:
  • The following class archetypes
    • Ancestral Guardian, Storm Herald, and Zealot Barbarian
    • Bard Colleges of Glamour, Swords, and Whipsers
    • Forge and Grave Cleric Domains
    • Dream and Shepard Druid Circles
    • Arcane Archer, Cavalier, and Samurai Fighters
    • Drunken Master, Kensei, and Sun Soul Monk
    • Oath of Conquest and Redemption Paladins
    • Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker, and Monster Slayer Ranger
    • Inquisitive, Mastermind, Scout, and Swashbuckler Rogue
    • Divine Soul, Shadow, and Storm Sorceror
    • Celestial and Hexblade Warlock including new Invocations
    • War Wizards
  • Tables for randomly generating player backstories
  • Racial Feats
  • Dungeon Master's section notably explaining how to use tool proficiencies, traps, downtime options, and random encounter tables
  • New Spells
  • A Billion Goddamn Names

Who should buy it: Players who want expanded archetype and spell options, or like Traveler style random background generation. The archetypes are WILDLY uneven in power and quality, but Hexblade Warlock and Swashbuckler Rogue are vital for anyone who likes those classes, and this is overall better purchase for players than SCAG. DM's can easily skip this as none of the DM advice or tables are vital. Probably the worst overall value for an expansion book.

Short version: A grudging but necessary purchase for players.

-----

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

What it is: Another supplemental bestiary more focused on higher level threats. It includes large lore sections on some famous races and intraracial conflicts in the multiverse. It has flavor excerpts from the perspective of famous Greyhawk wizard Mordenkainen.

What's in it:
  • Deep lore breakdowns on the following races and conflicts:
    • The Blood War
    • Elves (including Shadar'Kai and the Raven Queen)
    • Dwarves and Duergar
    • The Gith
    • Halflings and Gnomes
  • ~140 monster statblocks including Demon Lords tweaked from their Out of the Abyss stats and some powerful named Devils
  • New races Gith
  • New variants for Elves and Tieflings, reprints of Duergar and Svirfneblin

Who should buy it: DM's looking for more challenging monsters at higher level bands, it also fills in some gaps in encounter design like higher level Drow NPCs. DM's looking for story hooks related to the Blood War or the Raven Queen (though they have altered her from previous appearances in a controversial way that I personally dislike.) Players can skip this as all the player subraces except Duergar and Deep Gnomes are available as UA playtest options but I haven't compared to see what if anything changed in print.

Short version: Must buy for DMs, especially those needing a modern primer on the Blood War. Players can skip.

-----

Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron

What it is: A setting book for the pulp-magic Eberron campagin setting focused on the Khorvaire continent. It is only available digitally and is a living playtest document being actively updated.

What's in it:
  • An overview of the tone, history, and key elements of the setting
  • Tips for adapting other D&D material into Eberron
  • A still broad regional exploration of Khorvaire and its politics
  • The religions of Khorvaire
  • The races of Eberron including new races:
    • Changlings
    • Shifters
    • Warforged
    • Kalashtar
  • 12 Dragonmarked houses which function as new racial variants
  • An in depth look at the city of Sharn as an adventure location

What's not in it:
  • Psionics
  • Artificer class

Who should buy it: People who want to see this made into a proper hardcover setting and help give its creator Keith Baker some money. People interested in a setting where magic is common but low power, where players can quickly become notably powerful in relation to the world around them. Unfortunately for fans of the setting, because WotC has their own internal designs and goals for the artificer and psionics, they are not part of these materials. DM's may find more useful material setting material in the 4e and 3.5e Campaign books, but the rules for the setting specific races are useful for players.

Short version: Buy this if you are interested in the setting and/or want to see it become a more fleshed out, physical product.

------

Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica

What is it: A setting book based on the plane of Ravnica from Magic: The Gathering. It is a high magic megacity setting divided into ten ruling Guilds each with their own regions and purviews based on different aspects of society.

What's in it:
  • An overview of the City of Ravnica and it's guild structure and a broad look at life in the city.
  • New races:
    • Centaur
    • Goblin
    • Loxodon
    • Minotaur
    • Simic Hybrid
    • Vedalken
  • New archetypes
    • Order Domain Cleric
    • Circle of Spores Druid
  • An elabroate breakdown of each Guild, their subculutre, function in society, and relations with other guilds
  • New mechanical system for earning Renown and advancing within your organization
  • New Backgrounds specific to each guild
  • New Guild Spells mechanic, a list of always available spells for casters of that specific guild
  • Maps and descriptions of the Tenth District as an adventure region
  • A section on adventure hooks and complications based on each guild
  • 16 new magic items ranging from good to incredibly powerful
  • A handful of NPC statblocks for each guild including stats for the powerful, high level leader of each guild.

Who should buy it: Anyone interested in an wild and varied cosmopolitan setting that doesn't have to be Sigil. DMs not interested in the setting can still coopt many ideas, items, and monsters from the book including the new Renown system. Players should buy this if they want more racial and background options, like extra lawful clerics, or want to beg their GMs for blatantly broken items.

Short version: A must buy for fans of the setting. A solid buy for anyone just curious about the setting or wants to co-opt a number of aspects from the book.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I updated my post on the first page with summaries of the non-adventure hardcovers. Hit me up if you have feedback on it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Isn't there also Planescape foreshadowing in Tomb of Annihilation? I remember that was what everyone was expecting before they announced Eberron and Ravnica.

There's an acanaloth named anagram Gary Gygax whose glasses are a portal key from Sigil too Arcadia for no reason reason being easter egg. XtGE has the planer ranger. MToF has Gith. There's some moderate ground work being layed but I wouldnt hold my breath.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah I think weird teases are where it's gonna end. D&D honestly doesn't seem like the right system for Planescape anyway, but based on the modules, I don't think they have the ambition to even try it.

Yeah this is my feeling. I assume if they do it at all they'll just farm it out to Zeb Cook to do digitally the same they did with Baker and Eberron.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arthil posted:

I sometimes can't tell if you do this stuff on purpose or not.

It was a lovely way to say it but I agree D&D is maybe a poor system for executing this vision.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Strength is easily the worst stat to have and Dex the worst one to exist.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just picked finished going through Art & Arcana, and I dug all the old D&D art. I found though that I far more enjoyed the older art than the newer stuff. The new stuff is certainly beautiful and technically accomplished, but it's so staid and monotone and lifeless compared to the older images full of color and pop.

Is there any consensus out there among D&D fans about new vs old art? Are people happy with what were getting now, or is there a groundswell hoping the D&D crew ups their art game?

Very old D&D art is very good. Contemporary art is almost uniformly good. Later 2nd ed and nearly all 3rd ed art is mostly bad.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

What I'm looking for:
  1. Any other resources (especially sourcebooks) dealing in Mechanus/Nirvana, regardless of edition.
  2. LE-compatible factions/paragons in Mechanus.
  3. At higher Assassin levels, I'm going to be able to start creating false identities for myself. I'm looking for ways to integrate all of the above into my false identity network.

In addition to the other suggested books, Mechanus gets covered in the 3e Manual of the Planes. Mechanus is not so much a bustling community so much as beep boop robots obsessed with order and a billion Formians. There's a temple full of weirdoes trying to discover every true law of reality but they're a bunch of book nerds. I'm unaware of any particularly notable characters or organizations associated directly with the plane.

If you want your LE Assassin to be connected to Mechanus, you're probably best served by drawing a line between your character and the Inevitables. Maybe a Prime Material organization/cult who idolizes and patterns themselves after them. A Mechanus obsessed Lawful Evil Assassin sounds to me like someone who is mostly concerned with, and likely thrilled by, punishing transgressions against Order. Maybe your assassin or organization only accepts contracts against traitors, oath breakers, and fugitives.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I’m doing the same thing with my Rogue Swashbuckler and while I’m about halfway to level 4, I don’t think there’s a huge difference between doing it at 4 or 5; you’re getting the extra 1 AC from the Dex points at 4, but you’re getting other survivability from multiclassing Fighter.

Since I’m switching from two shortswords to rapier and shield (and probably taking Dueling to make up for some of the 1d6 loss with the guaranteed +2), I think I’ll do the first Fighter level at 4 for all the extra poo poo before I double back to Rogue levels. I might still do two more fighter levels along the line for the Superiority Dice for Parry, Riposte, and Disarming Strike.

The game is scaled around having characters getting their ASI at level 4 and you are basically taking a -1 on all your attacks, AC, and key abilities for a whole level.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dameius posted:

When is the best time to dip Cleric when you are a bard?? Or is the right answer start cleric 1, and then go full bard?

If you're a Lore Bard, start Cleric for free Medium Armor and Shield. If you're Valor Bard it doesn't really matter and you probably don't want to dip anything for a while because 4->5->6 is pretty stacked for Valor Bards and melee classes want Extra Attack ASAP. I feel like pushing back Magical Secrets and Countercharm hurts less when you're still picking up Cleric Spells and potentially Heavy Armor.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AlphaDog posted:

Lol at "75% chance to not be allowed to participate" not being that bad.

Chance you're still out at the end of turn

1: 75%
2: 56%
3: 42%
4: 31%
5: 23%
6: 17% (roughly 1/6)

Assuming you're not murdered while helpless.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nutsngum posted:

So a random change of discussion here.

Do other people find warlocks kind of.. bad?

Granted he is only at 4th level (after a year of playing an agonisingly slow Lost Mines/Sunless citadel mashup) and I understand EB getting a lot better at lvl5 etc.. but I am just finding the class incredibly limited in scope. I have two spells per encounter really, one of which is going to be Hex which leaves one left for whatever. Pros are having my imp fly around doing neat stuff and some of the invocations/patron bits are nice but I am having far less fun playing my warlock then my Tempest cleric in Curse of Strahd.

Ive seen videos of people kind of saying the Warlock isnt a strong class and now im starting to kind of feel the same way. I feel kind of stuck halfway been a martial character without the tankiness and a caster without the utility.

I love Warlocks. EB is very high DPR and your patron/Invocation abilities give you incredible utility that mostly makes up for your limited spells but if that's bugging you, you can pick up a subclass for a few more spell slots. The real problems with Warlock are there is one subclass that is far and away better than the others and that it's a 4e class built around At Will and Encounter powers in a game about daily abilities.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eldritch Blast keys off CHA so it'll be either subpar blasting or subpar Wizard casting (on top of the 2 level delay).
There are lots of good wizard spells that aren't attacks/saves.

Toshimo posted:

Probably not, no. They are both 1d10 scaling at the same rate. Unless you add damage per hit from some other source, they will be identical.

EB is still better because it's a multiattack instead of more dice on hit, but yeah if you're not getting the invocation why do it?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

gently caress this poo poo forever.

She added a mind flayer to the crab fight, went first, and Mind blasted the whole party.

"A DM who ran this for me did this and it was FUN!

:smugwizard:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though those things are pretty rare.

One of the most iconic monsters in the game and an incredibly key spell for reigning in the most powerful classes in the game.

Pretty rare.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm home brewing a rabbit folk race for a player and took Tabaxi as a template then changed the following:

Replaced climb speed with an extra 10ft horizonal and extra 3ft vertical leap.

Replaced slashing unarmed with a 1d6+str kick.

Replaced Stealth proficiency with Acrobatics.

Does that seem reasonable?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Tempest is not the best domain, but it's not far off, and it's definitely the most fun.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

adhuin posted:

So Fireball. What it is good for?

Little background:
I'm playing Wizard on a Curse of Strahd campaign, with others playing Warlock, Fighter, Monk and Paladin.

Our GM is notorious of having strong opinions about things and one of those is that Fireball is clearly no.1 3rd level spell and every wizard should pick it.

Partially because he was so insistent about it, and partly because I don't care about damage spells, I picked animate dead and counterspell.

He didn't find that funny.

On 6th level I picked slow and Life Transference.

He straight up had our ally van Richter give me Fireball and lightning bolt scrolls.

So is the Fireball worth it to use memory slot?
My other damage spells are cantrips and I mostly use grease, web or hold person monsters in combat. Oh and create zombies after.

Fireball is significantly ahead of the damage curve for when you get it and supremely useful if you're fighting large groups in open areas, and is one of the best low-mid level damage types.

That said, Third Level is stacked with great spells and Wizards are way more useful as controllers than damage dealers. You have a lot of damage in that party but not a great way to deal with large outside of potentially the Warlock. I'd have taken Hypnotic Pattern over Life Transference.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BattleMaster posted:

I get that wizards have no sense of right and wrong but animate dead seems like it should be evil-aligned only.

OTOH I hate this idea because as long as you are just animating bones and corpses you're not doing anything significantly different than Animate Object. If you're making sentient undead that gets a little different.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

Just remember that you still have to do the somatic bits even if your shield is the focus.

So, be sure to describe how you're waving your bigass shield around in funky patterns and praying to your God!

It owns.

Having a strong Tokusatsu background helps.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've heard a lot of people have great convention games with Colville but jesus that dude is up his own rear end

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Did you perhaps mean cleric(trickster)?

No one should ever mean this.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nutsngum posted:

Does anyone else feel that the concentration mechanic is somewhat basic and an uninteresting way of power restriction?
It's cool and good. Casters don't need a) to be more powerful, b) to be more complicated, and c) more time and attention from designers

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When choosing a background, if you choose one that gives a skill you're already proficient in, you can choose another skill. Is there a rule that it still has to be from your class list?

No.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

inthesto posted:

Campaign idea: Barovia is infested with dozens of vampires, each one a different interpretation of vampires from popular culture, each one claiming to be the real Strahd. The adventures have to choose which one to install on the throne.

Really, I just want an excuse for a D&D campaign where Edward Cullen fights The Count from Sesame Street

A Barovia with five identical Strands, each one claiming to be the third strongest Strahd.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
There's probably some weird crossroads of a Barbarian/Rogue multiclass where you would want it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

I've never heard anyone say they didn't put effort into the Volo's races. However, the only one of them that's a little too good is Yuan-ti, so don't worry about your kobold, he's fine as-is.

And as far as rogues go:

There's a specific caveat in the book saying the monster PC rules are not play tested or balanced. If anything Kobolds are on the weak side. Get rid of the -2 str and sunlight sensitivity.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

lightrook posted:

Either the assassin disintegrated the body, which makes it a lot more inconvenient to revive him, or they used some kind of soul-stealing black magic to make it impossible, or they Plane Shifted him into another dimension, or something. In a world where Raise Dead is a reasonably affordable commodity, you'd expect would-be assassins to put in some effort into having countermeasures, too.

Or like, if you died and are now a petitioner on the Plane of Elysium, how much are you really wanting to go back to the Prime Material Plane?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

What more can folks tell me about Cyric?

At present I have a Cleric who is devoted to him (using an adapted version of the Ambition domain from Amonkhet) and I was kind of wondering how it would be possible for some to take his place?

Imagine every chaotic evil rear end in a top hat rogue party member you've ever played with. Now imagine that your party did something so cool you all became gods including the rear end in a top hat rogue, who proceeded to then describe how he went around killing and usurping all the lovely loser gods.

That's the guy you worship.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm gonna be a level 1 Bard in a party with Barbarian, a Monk, and a Warlock. Healing Word is an auto include but what should my other spell selection be for my first few level?. Cure Wounds doesn't seem worth it until later.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sleep sucks

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Infinity Gaia posted:

At level 1 sleep is actually kinda OP. It does become terrible very quickly, but you can just switch it out then.

I know it's good at low levels, just not fun to me even when it is good.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ritorix posted:

Dissonant Whispers. Use it to provoke opportunity attacks for the barb and monk. Warlock and yourself too if they melee. It can cause a simultaneous team beatdown on the fleeing monster.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does that include unarmed attacks from Martial Arts or not since a bonus action isn't part of the Attack Action?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Action surge does not give you an extra turn, it gives you an extra action on your turn.

Ready Action uses your action on your turn and lets you do whatever on someone else's turn at the cost of your reaction.

Fumbles posted:

He argues that if he uses action surge to ready an attack he'll get another assassinate sneak attack before they get to act since assassinate says round and sneak attack says turn. He ran some numbers and came out to like 200 something damage in a single turns worth of actions only using stuff he gets back on a short rest.
This technically works if he picks a bullshit arbitrary trigger before the target takes it's turn.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yep, that works I guess.

Can a creature be surprised if you've already hit it?

Assassinate doesn't require surprise, just that the creature hasn't acted in combat.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I forgot the rider but my reading of "Surprise" is that it's persistent until that turn ends.

Here is Mearls's idiotic rear end giving his "understanding" of the sacred texts: https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/713194584918990848?s=09

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

The way Surprise works is as a creature-specific condition that wears off once they get their first turn of combat.

quote:

If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends.

I know it's character specific but I thought the "no reaction" lasted until end of round. Looks like surprise lasts until their spot in the initiative order and their "can't act" turn.

Edit: at any rate assassin is bad and that interaction is working real hard to do something that isn't even that good.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 12, 2019

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone got a ~3rd level adventure with a small town and nearby rear end in a top hat wizard?

I've got the kernel of an idea for short adventure where a wizard is "stealing" words from a nearby village (thanks Austin Walker!) I'd like some bones to lay that idea on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Verisimilidude posted:

Not just me, but the vast majority of people I know who play D&D will only make characters with stats that match their class. This thread alone has hundreds of posts with people looking for optimal character combinations.

I'm glad you don't feel the need to adhere to those standards, but it can really take the wind out of your sails knowing that you could've been getting another +1 or 2 to every roll you make if you chose one race over another.

And if you don't even consider your racial stat bonuses on character creation, why even bother having them?

This is why I just get rid of them and let my players get a free +2 +1 because the game is built around a specific stat progression and you should never be inherently behind the curve based on your race