Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm playing in a mini-campaign over the holidays with a slightly different group (same DM) that's supposed to be some Days of Future Past/Terminator Genisys shenanigans where I take my level four character and scale him up to level twenty. I don't really know what to do with super high level play.

I've been a straight Divine Soul Sorcerer, but considering a Sorc 18/Paladin 2 split so as to get some proficiencies and smites. I'd still basically be a full caster under this set up but I'm not sure the actual smites will be worth it: yes I can hit hard but can I even hit (14/14 str/dex) often enough as opposed to just casting a spell again? The other option would be more Paladin, up to getting the extra attack, but I'm not sure that's worth giving up the high level spells.

I'm expecting to die in the course of this bad future stuff so I'm trying to be a bit tankier, grabbing tough and warcaster and maybe resilient for wisdom. Should I just do like Paladin 1 for the armor and shield and not worry about smites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Shell bent for leather.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The best way to deal with the Yugoloths in lore is to pretend they don't exist.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Outrail posted:

I've got an idea for a campaign that starts with the kingdom being subjugated by a dragon as a background that slowly becomes the main plot.

Only the dragon sees the kingdom as it's lair and treasure, including the people. So as long as the kingdom continues to prosper it doesn't mind that the people are walking around with all that gold. It's a dragon and doesn't really care about the details of it all as long as the amount of gold and people in the kingdom goes up, and that the people are healthy and wearing nice things because that means they're more valuable. Then it learns about trade and forbids any movement of gold or currency across border and I'm not sure where it goes from there. Some sort of lesson about capitalism or something?

Now, this is an actual thing called Mercantilism that was practiced in the early modern era that basically said to become a wealthy country you gotta get all the gold coming in and never send it out. The winner of the Mercantilist game was Qing China, which only exported goods and didn't really import anything from abroad until the British showed up with cannons. As expected this didn't actually create national wealth and just resulted in inflation and instability and a lot of modern economics emerged as a response to it.

Edit: If you want to critique capitalism, portray the dragon as some sort of cost cutting manager who disbands the army because he can defend the realm for way cheaper, except many of the soldiers go on to become bandits and he's not able to stop them.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 29, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I had a child's Tower of Hanoi puzzle and I whipped that out at one point to mess with some friends in a one-shot.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm just really confused why you take inquisitive rogue, a class that revolves around insight checks, and not have proficiency in insight.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Flame Tongue, because then you can have a flaming gun.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

The sunblade seems like its mainly useful against undead in which case I might as well figure out holy water bullets and get the same effect.

The sun gun/blade deals radiant damage, which bypasses a lot of immunities.

The risk from a Berserker Gun I think is the curse specifies that you attack the nearest target. With a gun, you're probably not in the front line, so you're likely to turn around and shoot the wizard in the head.

A quick skim gives me three ideas:

Frost Brand can deal additional cold damage and give you fire resistance, which can be clutch.

Javelin of Lightning can basically launch a lightning bolt once a day, on top of its regular use. Think like some underbarrel shotgun (but lightning).

Sword of Wounding can tack on some ticking necrotic damage, which can mess up enemies with a poor constitution save. The 1d4 necrotic is guaranteed first round, I think, and it's cumulative for each instance? Plus you can hit the squishy backline with a gun.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 28, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Mushu is a party member who's playing a pseudodragon bard.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Sorcerer and Warlock should just be merged, Warlock does the Sorcerer's original gimmick of being a brute force caster way better.

bird food bathtub posted:

I might have said it here already but my barbarian has been one of my favorite characters because the GM worked with me to banter back and forth with my sword. It was an enchanted "sword in the stone" that didn't think the barbarian was the one to pull it out, so the barbarian ripped the whole drat thing out with a chunk of stone stuck to the end of it and now he uses it as a mundane warhammer that hates him for ruining the prophecy.

Sword in the Stone, complete with stone.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Last time I DM'd, the player cleric was the only cleric of his god alive at the time and he was treated with the appropriate reverence. That was partly a design decision since the backdrop was a massive plague, which isn't a huge challenge if every local village had a cleric.

Creating a cleric was a significant and active investment of divine power to give him his daily spells. Part of the deal was he was essentially a mortal avatar for his god created to deal with the main villain and his powers went away after that limited campaign. He got treated, wherever he went, appropriately: villagers mobbed him begging for lesser restorations, the church hierarchy (who were mostly rogues and celestial warlocks) gave him huge leeway, and he could more or less get a direct line to the Big Guy whenever he needed.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Swashbuckler can sneak attack if they are fighting one-on-one: there needs to be no other creature within 5 feet of them. If it's an ally flanking they still get the normal Rogue flanking sneak attack, but technically if there's someone behind them they don't get that sneak attack bonus. They don't get sneak attack if they're threatened by multiple opponents (unless they'd have the normal Rogue sneak attack). Also they can't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

EDIT: But the assumption for Rogue is that they will get their sneak attack every turn anyway, so that's not really an issue. The other half of the Swashbuckler's abilities lets them maneuver around a bit easier so they can get those one-on-one matchups.

Way of Mercy's strong point isn't damage, it's that they can convert ki points into healing very efficiently in combat.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 26, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Rubberduke posted:

Technically? That is not how sneak attack works. It has no interaction with the flanking rule, except maybe the advantage. But in those cases the sneak attack would get triggered anyway.

I mean, if the rogue is between an ally and an enemy, they don't get the swashbuckler sneak attack.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Correct.

It's all kind of pedantic though, because the assumption for a rogue is they should be able to get sneak attack every turn. They just need to do some active maneuvering or make a successful stealth check to pull it off: the original issue was they were out damaging the Way of Mercy monk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Someone already said it, but mine Star Trek for fun. Yes and is empowering.

Oh, no, they passed through a region of... wild magic? and now their evil twins have all teleported onto the ship?