Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Section Z posted:

I wish I loving knew. But even friends of mine who LOVE such things and are familiar with such mechanics have had to regularly be reminded "You get to use DEX damage, you know." between lulls in gaming.

I thought it was just my friends being forgetful until I saw it a couple other times, but only the Unexpectables one really stuck as a specific in my mind.

How the gently caress do people not just write down what their attack and damage +s are and read them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yah metal dice are an excellent way to ding the gently caress out of your table. And IME tend to be super hard to read.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So, basically, design good, interesting fighters.

It seems so simple and yet

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd honestly love to see an actual superhero-style fighter of the kind that Mearls talked about during 5e development - the Cu Chulainns, the Beowulfs, the Gilgameshes, the Achilleses. People who can literally wrestle a river into changing course, knock down a wall with a firm headbutt, pick up the king by the scruff of the bneck and threaten him into submission and NO ONE WILL TOUCH HER because she is THAT loving SCARY. Someone who you piss off and you instantly feel like something's passed over your grave because they were THAT close to killing you that you loving FELT it. Someone who can roar so loudly that a RIOT simply... pauses for thought. Someone who can step out onto a bridge in the face of an opposing army and hold that loving bridge until kingdom come. it's not just about combat, thoguh a lot of their responses to any situation will involve violence, the threat of violence, or the liberal application of (near meta-)physical strength, because... well, Fighter.

But someone who can actually have an equivalent narrative impact to a Wizard of the same level casting his best spell.

I do like the 'bored veteran' archetype, too. Soomeone who just wanders apparently aimlessly through everything, and JUST ducks at the right time, JUST slides to the side as the axe swings down, just quirks an eyebrow and makes a gesture and the master of the thieves' guild gulps and hands over the loot he'd been planning to keep on a technicality, etc etc.

But again, it comes down to narrative impact.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Arthil posted:

The issue from what I understand is less the amount, and more how you get them. Instead of kicking down the Dragon's front door, giving him the worst bad day ever, and then getting to rifle through his hoard... "Congrats! Here's some loot points". Kind of deflates the whole thing, doesn't it?

I mean... no? They're not loot points, they're whatever poo poo you hoovered out of the hoard.

It just saves you a step of 'selling the poo poo the mod writers thought you might want and buying the stuff you actually want'.

In terms of in world flavour that's exactly what it is.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I mean you joke but a prestidigitation type character written by an actual close-up illusion practitioner could be amazing. Just seeing what kind of imagination that person would have when it comes to fictional worlds where real magic exists, when they can fully make you believe that coin loving vanished in a mundane world where thy did it by pure physical skill...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Nah, here's what you're still not getting. I'm not cautious or risk-averse as a player, I just hate not getting to play the game I showed up for.

It's not hard to understand. I can't sit for an hour, watching everyone else plays D&D, and still be able to think of that hour as being just as much fun as playing D&D. Most people can't.

If someone told you this thing about anything other than a TTRPG you'd laugh at them. "Oh yeah I play rugby and I was sidelined for half the last game which was just as much fun as being on the field". "I went rock climbing last weekend, booked two hours but it was crowded enough that I only got to watch for the last 45 minutes, which was loving ace". "Went skydiving, sat in the plane for a bit, looked at the parachutes, didn't do any skydiving but instead sat and watched three other people skydive, this was exactly what I wanted".

This.

I hate not playing when everyone else is playing.

It is a bad experience.

It's not about being risk averse. In games where death is routine and a new character is always around the next corner, I'm happy to die.

In games where Stunned doesn't mean 'roll a die on each of your turns, if you succeeded you can play the game again next turn', I'll be stunned just fine.

Stunned in and of itself is a bad mechanic to use against PCs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

With how lovely the encounter design system in 5E, and your unequal the different classes are (and how different optimization can be), why is the short/long rest economy trotted out as a good example of balance?

The minigame of "conserve the most resources" is a huge system mastery issue, and is kind of the anti-balance. If a player can use a Meteor Swarm once a day, and the intent is that it won't trivialize an encounter... then all of the encounters need to be balanced around that. At which point, assuming the players will enter any particular encounter with depleted resources ends up breaking it if they get ahead of the resource curve.

It seems like endurance being an issue is more of an exploration pillar challenge than a basic assumption. Sometimes, long adventuring days will give different players a spotlight, and will give exhausted characters a level of desperation, and on days where that's less of a focus, conservation can take a backseat. Hopefully a DM/adventure designer can weigh that out to spread out the spotlight time.

The broad idea is that everyone has limited resources, so if an encounter is balanced around one player using a big bomb, then as long as at least one player has a big bomb left there shouldn't be an issue.

It's very poorly executed in 5e though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I wanna see phylacteries not be controllable.

They're just a random object that was within, say, 100 feet of the original spellwork that made the lich. And they have a soul in them, so they MAY be sapient and mobile of their own accord.

They may or may not actually like the lich.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zarick posted:

Doesn't haste just add another attack to the attack action rather than another action? You can't expend one attack then ready another, as far as I know.

Choose a willing creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, the target's speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action. When the spell ends, the target can't move or take actions until after its next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over it.

So, you could use your Haste action to attack, and your regular action to Ready.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It's commonly misread as "you get an additional weapon attack when you take your attack action" instead of "you may only make one weapon attack when you use your additional action to attack".

I don't get how but it comes up all the time.

Critical Role campaign 1 is probably why. One of the characters had house ruled (and thoroughly loving broken) Boots of Haste (and I think also a houseruled power of doign extra attacks as a bonus action if they attacked, or maybe that's just a high level rogue thing IDK) and spent like, the entire hundred episode run constantly confused about what Haste actually DID, because he *almost always* used it for the extra attack, to the point where he just thought it was only an extra attack.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dameius posted:

I click my boots and dagger dagger dagger...

And then he got the dagger that let him teleport to the target and it got even more confused.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Did 5e Commander's strike ever get updated from 'spend an action to give an ally advantage on their next attack'?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's less terrible than it was in the early playtests though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah but at the point where the Rogue is doing 10d6 damage t a single target 3 times in a round, the Wizard is repeatedly casting loving FIREBALL.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Eh don't worry to much..............if everything is statted out (monsters/traps what have you) then mechanically your golden. Just lean in on being a descriptive story teller dude, and let the players run the show. If you gently caress up...............eh play it off, your players don't know whats happening on your side of the screen, so its really easy to fix. Oh and never fudge dice rolls, for good or ill. They might not say they know you fudged the dice, but they will know, and if you fudge the dice to save one person, and not someone else, that leads to bad times. Never fudge the dice, even if it kills a PC.

Never fudge the dice, but feel free to fudge the outcome. Mechanical death doesn't have to mean actual death, it can just as easily be a setup for 'and then you all wake up captured' or whatever.

Kaysette posted:

Feel free to fudge dice roles if it makes narrative sense. Killing a character in their first encounter with a goblin who rolls a 20 is dumb.

Don't start at level 1, start at level 3, this kind of thing is a LOT more avoidable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Who the gently caress uses steel shields anyway? Just use a wooden shield.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

I'm actually in favor of cutting out damage dice and HP in favor of "wounds," where the hits you take have some effect and having so many wounds at once knocks you out. The HP system feels like a lot of unnecessary math when the design philosophy is built around the idea that you should be able to survive X number of hits per combat.

It 100% is. As a DM in particular, I'd love to see monsters just have hits, rather than hit points. I don't need to know or care if that attack did 32 or 33 hit points of damage, I care whether it shoudl take roughly 8 or 9 or 7 successful attacks to kill the drat thing.

This is especially prevalent on disposable-goon types where they tend to have functionally, but not exactly, one hit point - i.e. a good hit will despatch them, but a poor roll will keep them standing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kaysette posted:

They made passive skills instead and it’s basically the same.

That's not what Take 10 is for at all though?

Passive skills are your 'I'm not paying attention to this specifically, how hard am I to sneak up on/get one by' things with Investigation and Perception.

Take 10 (or take 20 for that matter) is 'if there's not any particular time or environmental pressure, and the thing is easy enough that your mod +10 (or +20 if you have more time) works, you can basically just narrate doing it'.

They're similar, and the numbers work out the same, but the principle and utility is different.

I suspect it was left out because it's something that a lot of DMs do anyway, without needing to be told they can, so they didn't bother including it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kaysette posted:

Yeah, the name is not a great fit but the mechanics are the same. Instead of passive slight of hand just think of it as trivial slight of hand. Take 20 is dumb because of course you shouldn’t be rolling if there’s no risk or pressure.

You're missing the point. Passive is meant to be just that. Passive.

If you're actively trying to do something, the passive skill doesn't work any more, and you have to roll.

Take 10 (and 20) is the thing that should be covered by 'if there's no threat and no meaningful chance of failure, don't bother rolling at all'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh goddammit what the poo poo.

Yeah, that;s take 10.

Ignore me, I'm mistaking myself.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

*slowly pulls Hercules and Cuchullainn into view*

For inspiration go through the various spell lists and honestly ask yourself how many are explicitly magical.

Wall of Stone: you punch the ground so hard a wall appears.
Fear/Dominate Person: Flex your muscles and just put the fear of You into them.
Stun/Confusion: It's called a concussion.
Irresistible Dance: Dance off bro.

Wrestle a river out of the way.

Punch down a castle wall.

Sneak in anywhere.

Steal anything, including intangible qualities of people.

Intimidate an entire parliament into obeying your will just by staring them down.

Just have a loving army at your beck and call.

Break any restraint, on you or others.

Animals obey your will, including those owned by your opponents. A simple call can cause an enemy army's horse to buck them clean off.

Straight up ignore a single attack. From anything.

The Monk's projectile return feature. But for trebuchet stones, dragon breath, and spells.

Etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

No living being can stop you. Just. Walk.

An army is in your way? Just walk, their weapons can't touch you? Bear? Nah. Python? Scarf. Dragon? Can't even shift your weight off the floor if you don't want it to.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Which is why passive perception and investigation are actually useful - they take away the 'I try to find the hidden guy oh no I rolled a 1, everyone else roll to see if we can find him' thing without needing the awkwardness of DMs doing hidden rolls on player skills. He rolls a number checks everyone's passive perception (or asks for it), and then he knows whether the dude is hidden and from whom.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Are people playing games so fiction-lite that "I persuade the guard" with literally no other explanation for how they persuade them or what happens with the guard is a thing that happens?

Sometimes, yes.

Here's an idea, if you're the DM and one of your players just wants to roll and see if their talking succeeds or fails, YOU describe what happens and how.

That's something you can do - fill in story details that the players are light on.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Farg posted:

hey man I'll tell them what the guard does all day but if someone can't or won't even come up with something as basic as "I try to persuade the guard that his shift is over early and I'm here to relieve him" or "there's a fight over there they need your help" then why did they show up to play a ttrpg

I think there's a disconnect here; for me the phrase 'I try to persuade the guard' by definition includes a context of what you're trying to persuade him. Even if it's just 'I try to persuade him to let us in'.

But in short, I'd concur with earlier posters; if you'd allow 'I climb the wall' and 'I swing my sword', 'I persuade the guard to let us in' should also be fine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Deciding "What action do I take in combat?" and "What do I say to the Important NPC?" are, in my game, held as things I want my players to explicitly choose. Choosing them yourself, as a player, is core to the game that I'm running. You move your guys on the the grid, and you talk to people as your character. This does not mean that all actions taken by players are so delineated, and in my game, *how* you do that action in combat is not. It's specious to say "well if players have to do this one thing, why don't they have to do everything?" - games are allowed and are generally encouraged to be opinionated on what aspects of one's character are focused on. The truth is, it's not less valid to make a game where you do have to describe how you're hitting someone with your sword, I'm just less interested in running a game like that personally. I'm certainly not saying my way to play is The Only Way - do y'all assert that ttrpgs shouldn't ever ask players to contribute to a shared dialog as a particular character or is this about D&D specifically?

I think there are two things at work here.

One is that... 'i persuade the guard to let us in' and persuading the king to let you have the kingdom or whatever... are different. Expecting people to put the same effort into random guard #4 and important NPCs is not necessarily reasonable, in just the same way as expecting the same level of engagement and description with random goblin mook #4, and a ten-session-long arc boss, is not necessarily reasonable.

Two is that not every is good at actually speaking in character, and there shouldn't be any particular difference between narrating what your character does in general terms (I talk at length about the threat from the Grand Vizier) and actually saying what your character is saying. not everyone is *able* to do the latter well, on short notice, and improvised on demand. I know it's not one of my strengths, which is why if there's a big emotional beat that I have an idea might be coming in advance, i'll probably talk it through with the DM and work out a rough shape for the scene, in order to see if I can get there.

What it boils down to for me, is unless you're going to force your players to dance on the table when they make a performance check, or fence with boffer swords to prove they can do combat... don't expect them to be able to play outside their skillset in order to play a character who doesn't match it in social situations, either.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Besesoth posted:

Pro tip: put casters under the goalposts so they're easier to move.

Pro tip put fighters under the goalposts if you want to move them they're stronger.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tome of Tactics: once per $whatever, instead of rolling initiative you can set the order of the initiative. You must set the order as follows: 2 PCs, then alternating 1 enemy and 1 PC.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, that's not a name people are going to have trouble with as of last week.

Well, I could easily see someone who already has trouble with it refusing to see that movie, actually, so...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

In previous editions you could usually do things like suffocate/drown completely helpless regenerators. It's a grey area of which rule (drowning makes you dying, or regeneration trumps it) take precedence. Assuming you beat a troll unconscious and have no particular time pressures, it's silly to make it a hard-stop puzzle, unless it's intended to be a story beat of "go on a quest to stop this immortal killing machine".

For trolls specifically, just carrying mundane torches to coup de grace them with should be fine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I think whether subtle is worth it depends a whole lot on how much your DM actually follows RAW and RAI on casting spells non-subtly. If your DM takes the view that, say, the Verbal component of a spell like Suggestion is just the suggestion itself (i.e. it works like a Jedi Mind Trick), or that the Somantic component of a spell can be hidden via sleight of hand then subtle spell is less worth it.

Even with the latter, it's better to not have to roll, than to have to roll.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

What's a good price for a griffon in 5e?

I've found a questionable source saying the broom of flight is 10kGP and that's something I'd say is objectively better than a griffon because it doesn't tire and has no upkeep costs. I'm ruling that the griffons themselves can't be used in combat and are just there to be a mount that can traverse obstacles in overland flight. I'm not having the griffon as a combat trained unit that delivers beak and claw attacks.

Ultimately I'll fudge the price or any alternate means of attainment for the fun's sake but I guess for a ballpark I just want to ask the thread what a good price would be. That is, if we're putting rule zero aside and if we were to balance it with other extant items and services in 5e.

Personally I'd probably put the price at 'success on a session or so of side questing', rather than money. Griffons don't seem, to me at least, like the kind of things that are commonly available to buy, but rather the kind of things you need to find a specialist for or capture from the wild.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

Maybe I should highlight what I'm after the most:

I am highly intrigued by the mage hand being able to sleight of hand and unlock locks and want to be able to pull that poo poo off.

While also being able to throw around more spells and poo poo that just a rogue can.

Essentially I am OK sacrificing combat optimization to be able to do a bunch of tricky jack-knife utility poo poo. But the core of that tricky poo poo is essentially a sneaky mage hand.

Like... this is just Arcane Trickster Rogue isn't it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yep. At least for melee most of the differences are in cost and weight anyway, or else are just objectively worse mechanical choices with different flavored skins.

Something like

Light one handed: d6 main hand or d4 off hand melee
Heavy one handed: d8 main hand melee.
Light two handed: d10 two hand reach.
Heavy two handed: d12 two hand melee.

Everything else is an ability.

Versatile, for example: Class or archetype ability, starts with light weapons at level 1, add your choice of medium or polearm at 6 and get the other at 12 (or something like that).

e: You could fold "one handed" into one category and place the differentiation into abilities - are you using it in your main hand with an empty off hand? Does something different from using it in your offhand with another one in your main, which does something different from using it with a shield.

Damage dice should be class based anyway, what your character is actually holding should be mostly flavour.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the fixed bonuses kind of suck, I wish they were all just floating anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

change my name posted:

Does it make more sense to take Alert (initiative buff), Athlete (tons of movement perks), or Skulker (dim vision and hiding buff) for the level 10 fighter/rogue archer I’m making for a one-off game? Already have sharpshooter and maxed dex.

Alert, probably. Rogues live or die by going first.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Covok posted:

Dudes, dudettes, and enbies, I'm going to be in a 5e game this summer and I need a little charop advice. What be the most stupidly broken build? What be the best martial build? What be a good "tier 3" build? Don't want to ivory tower myself into a damsel in distress and I aint no system master.

Any help is appericated.

What optimisation level are you expecting? 5e has a pretty broad spread so knowing where the aim is is probably helpful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Making the best 5e character

You don’t actually make many choices in 5e, so there isn’t much room to optimize.

1. Pick your class. This choice is the most important one. Look over the vast choices available to you and then toss out any class that has another class that just does its thing better. You are now looking at a Bard or a Paladin. Do you want to be beefy and deal damage in combat? Or do you want to instantly solve every problem?
2. Now that you have your class, pick your ability scores. If your DM tells you to roll them, quit immediately and find a better DM. If it’s an array or point-buy, just copy someone else who already made the correct choices.
3. Pick your race. The correct answer is Human.
4. Copy a spell list from a char-op guide or whatever, it’s not worth sifting through the hundreds of pages of spells.
5. Pick your bonus feat. For a Paladin its Polearm Master. For a Bard its Inspiring Leader probably.
6. At level 3 (which is where a good DM will start you) you also want to pick your specialty. If it’s Paladin its Vengeance. If it’s Bard its Lore.
7. Congratulations, you have the best D&D character!

0: load up DNDBeyond, because it's actually really very good (which is shocking for a WOTC licensed product), though someone in the campaign needs to buy the content to get you access to everything unless you wanna just use the free stuff which is... limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Marathanes posted:

Wow yeah, a lot of those sound really nasty and dumb.

My group still uses critical failures, but they're usually more comic relief sorts of things or storytelling accessories than anything else, and we don't usually seek to unreasonably penalize the players (not trying to take away fun, but rather trying to capture the fact that sometimes things just go sideways at inopportune times). They apply both to PCs and to enemies equally - sometimes they can be leveraged to give the party a break if a fight isn't going well when an enemy rolls one. Sorts of things like:

- you swung your greatsword, but missed, so it got stuck in a curio and you have to wrench it out next turn (forfeit an attack) or leave it there and draw a new weapon.
- you missed with an arrow so it might hit someone else in close proximity (enemy or friendly).
- you drop something you need (arcane focus or component pouch)

We also try to integrate them into the fight, so if someone just got hit, for instance, we tend to say that's what caused them to be off balance, etc..

I'm going to watch for it today and if it seems like it's just not fun, I might bring up getting rid of them. You make good points about them unreasonably affecting some sorts of characters.

The point I always think with crit fails is that the 1/20 chance of a complete whiff against even an unconscious dude you're stabbing to death... IS the penalty for missing. DESCRIBE that miss in interesting ways - I missed because (or and) my sword got stuck in a curio and I had to spend the attack wrenching it out - but THAT attack was the one I spent loving about, not the next one.

Crit fails bother the hell out of me because if my character is good enough at swording to successfully sword greater demons of hell who are actively trying to kill them right now... they shouldn't have a 5% chance of stabbing themself in the thigh every time they attack. And it also penalises multiple attacks much mroe heavily, so it gets WORSE, not better, as characters improve in 5e.

DOn't do crit fails.

Rolled stats bug me, but if the DM is flexible and willing to work with point buy or array instead if the player wants, or just arbitrarily undo poo poo rolls, then that's fine.

If it were me running it and I rteally wanted to be Full Random, I'd just use and array and roll for the order of assignment of the numbers.