Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I love the flavor of the Monk but yeah, I don't think ours landed a single Stunning Strike in an entire 7-month campaign. Darn CON saving throws.
The Pugilist homebrew class was basically everything I wanted the Monk to be and more but I don't know enough about game balance to say if it was well made or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's not 5e, but the new D&D playtest lets you grapple on an unarmed strike instead of an athletics check. It's not a monk feature, but it is a monk buff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t2-LVI_sbs

People keep saying this and I don't get it. Why would I want to grapple somebody instead of punching them again? Don't I want to not encourage them to hit me?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

This. Yes, it's best to try and convey things via narrative and description, but there's nothing wrong with straight up telling the players stuff they need to know.

E: For example, if they've found every clue in an investigation adventure, don't let them dick around. Just tell them they've found all the clues and it's time to move on.

You think that'd work, but I can't count the number of times I told a player "Don't roll for perception, you saw it all" and they didn't believe me

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I get it though. A Rope Trick portal is invisible and intangible, so you could trick yourself into the interior of an armored wagon or any closed space. You just need to make it come to you.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I have to agree. If a bunch of contrived stuff happens and the spider gets away, as a player I'd assume that the DM just didn't want us to do that and is too shy to tell us out loud.
Whatever happens should feel like an added risk but not a negation of what they already did.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

NotNut posted:

What's the best 5e adventure besides Curse of Strahd?

Descent into Avernus + The Eventyr Games' supplement and guide was the best time I've had with D&D, personally.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
My DM made me explain how exactly I was using my Flash of Genius to help friends save against spells and traps. That played out in a lot of funny ways.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I, too, had a polearm master singlehandedly defeat a roaming dragon encounter by poking it in the rear end and preventing it from flying away for 5 turns. Undoubtedly the most powerful character on the squad and somebody I had to plan encounters around.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've been turned off of EXP ever since the party paladin noticed they were really close to leveling up and put the plot on hold to climb into a sewer and fight giant rats. I'm not sure what behavior it fosters other than wanton murder for high score. Maybe in a much more open-ended campaign.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I get the argument, but if you say "That's metagaming, the party should only be getting EXP for meaningful fights", and I am the DM who puts the meaningful fights in the world, then I'm essentially doing milestone leveling aren't I?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Numbers people are willing to track:

-HP
-AC
-To-hit bonus
-Damage
-Skill bonuses
-Gold, silver, copper
-Loot
-Spell slots
-Item charges
-Levels

But XP? A number that only goes up? No, that's too much. I hate math.

Maybe if it didn't scale based on the # of monsters and their CR and the EXP to the next levelup also scaled based on some equation. And Bob keeps forgetting his character sheet at home, he has an old copy on his phone but does anybody remember how much EXP he had?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was pleasantly surprised that there were no unfunny memes or in-jokes (that I noticed), my friend was convinced there'd be a bunch. The movie took its own world mostly seriously.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I also like the idea of a horror movie stalker-monster but I'm not sure how to make it work in D&D. Hit-and-run attacks that wear them down and make them paranoid maybe.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hrm, I think I need to figure out how to spice up my attempt at a 4e style "skill challenge" a bit.

The rules for my specific flavour I got from a (audio friendly) D&D podcast.

1. The DM announces there is a skill challenge.
2. The players take turns responding to obstacles.
3. The player character picks a skill, the skill they picked can't be used again during the remainder of the challenge.
4. Allies of the player character can help, by beating a DC 10 Ability Check without Proficiency; success lowers the DC by 2,
failure increases it by 2.
5. The player character rolls their skill or ability check and success increases their successes and failure increases the number
of failures (i.e two opposed progress clocks).
6. The Skill Challenge ends when they reach a specific number of successes or failures whichever comes first.
7. The DM then describes the results and any consequences.

I think in general the design of this seems very good for an audio friendly podcast but maybe might not be as good for a regular D&D session, even when using Theater of the Mind? I think the more video gamey aspects of it are taking some players a little bit out of the experience.

I like the idea of having something that's basically an encounter, but without the explicitness "You're in combat now" that an initiative tracker (especially in foundry) might imply and results in certain mechanical baggage. I.e players I think generally if they think are in combat, are more likely to resort to acts of violence; but if they think combat can be avoided, might be more willing to try diplomacy or creative solutions to specific problems or obstacles.

Mentally speaking "You're in combat now roll initiative" is clearly just as video gamey as "You're in a skill challenge, roll some skill checks" but I think the later seems to make some players feel more restricted? One feedback I got was "I'm not sure why we couldn't just firebolt them as they're trying to get away over a rope bridge" I mean, technically they could've, I didn't say they couldn't, but maybe they think they can't?

Ideas on how to tinker with skill challenges to make them a little more seamless, more fun, maybe more clear, etc?

I don't see any need to formalize it like that. At least not out loud. Last time I did a skill challenge I just made the situation seem urgent (a burning building with people stuck inside) and asked everybody one-by-one what they were doing, making them roll whatever seemed appropriate for what they were trying to accomplish. They caught on pretty quick that this was a Narrative And Gameplay Thing I was doing and rolled with it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
New Rogue is cool enough that I am petitioning my DM to allow it in the next campaign. It does remind me of our trip-happy Battlemaster from the last game but I think the nuances of the saves and only getting one per turn will make it different.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

two fish posted:

Alright, thank you.

So, an elevator pitch for something I've been wanting to play is a svirfneblin druid. His interest is in preserving the beautiful fungal forests of the Underdark, and his name will be Moldric Shroomfellow.

I want to flesh him out more, but I've never actually played a svirfneblin before. How ridiculous is it for one to be a druid, let alone the existence of a mushroom druid?

Fungi-themed Druids are a whole-rear end subclass so you're covered there.

While we’re at it, I always did like deep gnomes. Underdark dwarves: Evil. Underdark elves: Evil. Underdark gnomes: Just sorta grumpy.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 6, 2023

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

grobbo posted:

Samwise Gamgee Farmer, that's a good one.

Growling Malevolently Until It Becomes Too Difficult To Keep Up And I Stop, that's another

This is why I refer to my DMing style as “narration”…so my friends can’t make fun of me when my Orcs and Elves and pet cats all sound like the same monotone guy.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Zurreco posted:

Wait, do people complain about Legendary Resistance? It exists specifically to ensure that a good fight isn't 100% moot because the BBEG was hardlocked while the party just wails on them. The most I've ever seen on one stat block was 3 so it's just an additional resource to overcome. I'd be more annoyed by reactions that don't use resources, like how ODD proposed hags could Counterspell as a reaction without it being a spell.

I'm in the other camp that thinks Legendary Resistance is cool. Sure, it's a 'waste' of a spell that had no effect, but the DM usually interprets it as the boss going through some huge effort to resist it. It feels more like breaking down walls until the enemy is vulnerable. It helps that we're all aware that boss monsters usually have 1-3 of the things so it never surprises us.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

Spellslots don't work for monsters because the monsters don't exist outside of getting into fights with you and dying.
The attrition works for players because they are doing more "on screen" but similarly I think "the thing you tried to do doesn't happen" isn't very engaging especially I'm a game where you're doing one thing s turn for the most part.

Sometimes you’ll see a fight in a module against a powerful spellcaster, for a low-level set piece, but they don’t want to make it too hard so they say “oh he used all his 5th level spell slots earlier that day so he doesn’t have them”. That always makes me laugh a bit and wonder what he did with them.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

DMs: how do you handle rogues hiding in the middle of melee combat?

I have a player who wants to play a stealthy rogue melee combatant. He's a bit used to how rogues operate in BG3, where you can hide based on vision cones. Reading the hiding rules, it seems like you can't hide in plain sight. You need something obscuring you in some way, such as darkness or cover. You can't merely be "behind" the enemy, and out of their immediate vision.

How do you handle this kind of situation?

If he's doing it for the advantage, consider letting him use the Steady Aim optional feature. Rouges getting their sneak attack damage is part of the class that they're expected to get on most of their hits, not a secret bonus.
If he's doing it because he wants to feel like a cool Rouge, then sure when he asks "is there anything to hide behind" throw him a bone and put a shrubbery or waist-high wall nearby. I wouldn't let him hide in plain sight. There are other features for that.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did WotC just decide to not advertise that they were dropping an extra book this month on DMs Guild? A high level adventure/nine hells sourcebook, written by the Baldurs Gate writer and one of the more prominent sci fi/fantasy writers and that 100% of the sales were going to Extra Life.

Seems like a really bid lead to bury.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/457996

What the hell, I am buying this immediately. Maybe I can wrench it into a sequel to my own Decent into Avernus campaign.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

It looks like a recipe for a great campaign book. I agree about it being strange for there to be no physical print, yeah.

Anybody bought it and looked at it? I can't be certain if this is an "internal politics sabotage a good project" situation or a "this book actually sucks and they didn't want to waste more money" situation.

I gave it a once-over. As a runnable campaign it seems a little loose, there are zero battlemaps in the entire book and as-written there's no plot reason to visit 75% of the locations other than "there might be treasure there". As a guy that likes more structured content I would have to take a lot more time to rebuild it. But as a sourcebook and high-level campaign it looks fantastic.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's the same arguments people have any time martial characters can do anything that isn't just rolling a d20 and doing damage. It's very frustrating to me how permissive the game and the (online, not representative of human beings at your table) is towards spell casters doing any and everything versus martial characters.

I think my first experience with this was the comments for somebody's homebrew Pugilist class, in which everybody was like "But why does he punch so good?? It can't just be because he's tough. That's impossible."

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

change my name posted:

We finally got into the titular tomb of annihilation last night and started out with two people immediately falling into the pit trap at the start and losing half their helath

It's a real tone-setter! For both the dungeon and the party dynamic.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Most of the time the explanation is "they heard a rumor (from the rumor table) that there was something cool over there". They mostly have nothing to do with the Eternal Rime or anything else going on. The Eternal Rime doesn't make a great ticking clock...I told my players to make characters that explicitly want to adventure for adventure's sake otherwise they'd never bumble into half of these.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The Holy Pretender: A sword with a +2 on all attack and damage rolls, until you discover that it isn't actually a magical sword. Then it loses all special qualities.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

YggdrasilTM posted:

The idea of a bottomless pit as the recurring BBEG of the campaign is certainly novel.

homeless snail posted:

Sentient portable hole

There's a "Living Demiplane" monster in Rime of the Frostmaiden. Sounds perfect.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

NeurosisHead posted:

They're seriously a great beginner woodworking project. Back before COVID a friend of mine wanted to build one for the home game we were playing in. I let him use my wood shop and gave him free reign of the off cut bin, showed him how the pocket hole jig worked, and he was off to the races. Ended up falling in love with woodworking and built a bunch of wonderful bookshelves for his wife on his own time!

I've always wondered about these setups. Is there no concerns about glare on the screen, or the picture looking grainy when you're sitting up close to the TV?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Has any party in the history of D&D been given an Alchemist’s Jug and not made inappropriate use of mayonnaise before the campaign was through

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Hm! I might delay my next campaign 'till the new Player's Handbook is out. I know the playtests had their ups and downs, but how different were the published 5e classes compared to the final 5e playtest?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Of fun!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I only started DMing in 5e, but I'm planning a Shadowfell-themed campaign and went back to look at old adventures for inspiration. Is it just me, or is modern D&D really lacking in dungeons? Keep on the Shadowfell has like a 3-story dungeon as the climax and I remember being disappointed that Avernus battlemaps were usually empty buildings with 4 guys in them.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Really it should be much rarer but nobody wants to pay boring hairless round eared apes any more

It's true. My group waited too long to get around to Curse of Strahd, now we're fully reached the experimentation phase and there's a fairy, a harengon, and a satyr walking around Barovia.
Humans and gnomes and stuff are cool too! Sometimes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I DM'd with a player that wanted to be a divorced guy and boy was that a mistake. Once the party learned about it they never let him live it down.