Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sentinel posted:

You have mastered techniques to take advantage of every drop in any enemy's guard, gaining the following benefits:
- When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature's speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
- Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach.
- When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), it has disadvantage on the attack roll.

I fixed Sentinel, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CubeTheory posted:

I'm running a killing game kind of campaign, where the players and many other people in the world have been given powers and compelled to explore ancient ruins for shards of power and/or murder others in the game and take their power. Every player in the game has a different power, a pretty common trope you see in things like Jojo's or Black Clover or any of the myriad similar stories, so I need to design a bunch of NPCs that have cool or interesting powers. My player's seem pretty hesitant to go on a killing spree at this point, and not every other player in the game is interested in murder either. The players power are weaker than the NPCs at this point because they split the power among the party instead of one of them taking it all. Some of the party powers include producing magical music that inspires and improves the abilities of the party members, and freezing small objects in place like an immovable rod. Some of the NPCs include a doctor named Pliny that has tremendous knowledge of fake medical remedies, made to work by his power, and a storyteller named Scheherazade that can bring elements of her stories to life.

Basically, I would love suggestions for interesting NPCs and NPC powers that I can use in my campaign.

This is the D&D 5e thread.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

For_Great_Justice posted:

Traps get really confusing when you tack in Barbarian's danger sense. Advantage to avoiding traps you know are there. But if you know they are there then you'd avoid them. Became a dead rule for my regular group.

What? No.

Danger Sense posted:

You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can't be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.

It's advantage to avoid the effects of a trap unless the effects are somehow undetectable. Like you didn't know the pressure plate was a trap, but you sure notice the barrage of arrows it triggered, and get advantage on the ensuing DEX save.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone seen hags done especially well? I keep seeing people say they're weak and should be plotting story antagonists more than mere monsters but nobody seems to elaborate on it

Individual Hags are weak in a straight up fight, but if their coven is together they're collectively a PITA 12th level spellcaster that can spam Hold Person and Lightning Bolt, 3 Counterspell reactions to gently caress your own casters, and on top of that Night Hags are particularly horrible since they can, at will, decide to gently caress off into the Ethereal plane if they feel they're losing the fight, and then haunt your loving dreams for semi-permanent damage until you find a way do deal with them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah Barbs have a bad time as it is, don't also take their toys away.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DJ Dizzy posted:

Instead of edition wars, can we have setting wars? Clearly, Eberron remains the greatest setting to ever grace these gygaxian pages.

Al-Qadim

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Dragonlance is okay too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Giving Fighters both Champion+Battle Master archetypes combined does nothing to fix them, in a general sense.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

What about giving them champion+battle master+Eldritch Knight archetypes?
I wonder what a game with a "choose 3 archetypes in your class get all three benefits" game would play like.

The problem with Fighters is, perhaps surprisingly, unrelated to how good they're at Fighting.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there anything that could be done with the fighter to improve their narrative strength without implementing Battlemaster maneuvers or something similar? I like the idea of a simple class without huge ability or spell lists to sort through that would be a bit easier on new players who didn't want to dive into that kind of thing. I was thinking of picking out and modifying some of the Battlemaster abilities and giving them out at set levels, and in particular adding a couple of Hercules style "You can do impossible things" moves at mid-higher levels.

Fighter Monster Hunter archetype (UA).

Also, everyone should keep in mind that any buffs on Fighter totally poo poo on Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue. It's what I meant with "in general"; in a party with all casters you might need to shore up a poor Fighter player with items or abilities, but there isn't any kind of easy fix that works on most tables for this piece of poo poo system.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 26, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Are Warlocks martials?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

Personally I don't really mind Fighters having a rather narrow niche of "is really good at killing poo poo" as long as the game is largely about killing poo poo, though I also acknowledge that lots of people don't engage with D&D in that way.

This could work if you got rid of Barbarian, Paladin, Rogue and Ranger.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Since Fighter chat seems to keep going

https://twitter.com/ilovechrissia/status/1043013265519865861

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Steel Wind Strike is pretty terrible, though.

Conjure Volley is a Ranger exclusive (that can be poached by 10th level Bards).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The post about how the Fighter should be "the hero" still seems like the most reasonable change - - whoever it was that said a fighter should inspire and be a leader and an exemplar of their people.

I don't know how to systematize it, but it's like the only idea here that has stayed on task in recognizing that Fighter needs more love in the other pillars more than he needs to be better at killing.

There's already a Fighter that does all this and it's called Paladin.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean if that's the case there's no point in rehabilitating the Fighter.

Bingo.

It takes so much work to 'fix', it's easier to either refluff the Paladin or learn a different system.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

No? The paladin is a fanatic who's devoted to their cause and their order. They get a normal reason to raise Charisma and can have social skills as their main skills, just like the bard. That doesn't mean they're the sort of assigned "protagonist" class, no more then the bard or sorcerer is. They already have their schtick of their order and their cause. People can like and trust a paladin, but they'll always have a degree of separation from other, normal folk.

At this point you're assigning stuff to the paladin that doesn't exist just to deny it to the fighter.

Mechanics.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's definitely a word. Got more words to add to it?

Paladin as a class:
- Uses weapons and armor.
- Has Fighter HP.
- Has built auras that protect and inspire allies (bonus to saves, condition immunities).
- Have numerous buff spells.
- Possess innate team HP recovery abilities in addition to said spells.
- Did I mention spellcasting utility?
- Has a whole set of abilities that key off Charisma so it's mechanically beneficial for them beyond skill fodder.

So for the question of how, mechanically, you'd describe a Fighter that inspires, leads, and supports a group, the answer is Paladin.

Who cares the fluff says poo poo about religion and causes and orders and whatever? We're talking, and have been talking, game mechanics for the past 3 pages.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's not a source of healthy tension.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alternatively, you actually make them mesoamerican-inspired rather than the pulp bastardization they currently are, instead of turning them into yet another ancient grecoroman civilization.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Start Rogue for the extra skill, and if you're gonna do it anyway then dip Fighter as soon as you can for Medium Armor/Shield/Fighting Style.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

1 in 4 chance you'll entirely sit out a fight.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Thanks for... sharing?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Waffles Inc. posted:

A fighter swinging and missing their attack mechanically does nothing, RAW. It's as if it didn't happen. It's effectively identical to not being in the game at all, and it's absolutely awful.

At least when you're stunned you can't be fooled into thinking you're capable of doing something.

Edit: I guess to put forward a fully complete thought, it's that ultimately yes, not having an effect on combat brutally sucks. But singling out crowd control effects is missing the forest for the trees.

It's not identical because you still took your turn; you chose to move or not, weighted your options, then decided to attack. It failed, but you still engaged with the game.

If you're incapacitated, you just pass. There's no decision-making involved whatsoever, nor any roleplay opportunities. You're a non-entity.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's a nice strawman, but have you considered that there's ways to limit player character effectiveness without outright removing them from the board in the most lazy way possible?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What is this nonsense about "illusion of agency"?

There is no illusion here. Even if your action accomplished nothing, you still engaged with the mechanics and took a turn, executing said action. You played the game. You didn't win, but you played.

The alternative being discussed here is sitting out.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

So a random change of discussion here.

Do other people find warlocks kind of.. bad?

Granted he is only at 4th level (after a year of playing an agonisingly slow Lost Mines/Sunless citadel mashup) and I understand EB getting a lot better at lvl5 etc.. but I am just finding the class incredibly limited in scope. I have two spells per encounter really, one of which is going to be Hex which leaves one left for whatever. Pros are having my imp fly around doing neat stuff and some of the invocations/patron bits are nice but I am having far less fun playing my warlock then my Tempest cleric in Curse of Strahd.

Ive seen videos of people kind of saying the Warlock isnt a strong class and now im starting to kind of feel the same way. I feel kind of stuck halfway been a martial character without the tankiness and a caster without the utility.

Warlocks are reliable DPR (well, their EB+AB+Hex B&B is comparable to featless martials at least), so properly built they have alright competence, and in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king (if everyone else is playing pure martials, they certainly bring in a lot of utility alongside their damage), but it's a very terribly designed and generally boring class held together by flavor text.

See, they're sold as casters, but as you noticed they have too few spell slots available to really function as such, even setting aside their over-reliance on 5e's terrible rest mechanics. Instead, by default, they function as archers that shoot force bolts instead of arrows, with a bunch of cantrips for utility and an encounter power tacked on top.

They're also presented as being highly customizable, with all those Eldritch Invocation options, but the truth is that half of them belong in the trash bin, and since as established a Warlock is functionally a martial that attacks with magic, the rest of these Invocation picks face stiff opportunity cost with those that grant combat competence. I've seen players who tried to play the class without EB+AB+Hex and it was just :smith:. This lack of real customization is even more egregious on bladelock, who can't spare any EIs at all towards utility.

And oh boy, let's not forget about bladelocks, the Warlock option they had to patch with a whole new overtuned patron in order to give it basic competence. And then it turns out you can use that patron with normal Warlock Eldritch Blasting, so why even melee, again? To be an edgy Paladin? Oath of Vengeance already exists.

Lastly, just to really rub it in, Warlock also happens to be so front loaded, that whatever it is you're trying to do with them, odds are you can do - better - by taking it as a 1~3 level dip on a different class. Want to Eldritch Blast a whole bunch plus access to spells? Add two levels of Warlock to a Sorcerer. Want to CHA-focus gish? Add one level of Hexblade Patron to a Paladin or Swords Bard. Satisfied with being martial that also gets a lot of cantrip utility and rituals? 3 level tomelock dip on Fighter.

The class is just loving stupid, and I say this as someone who has the system mastery to make them work and in a half-way interesting manner.

-

Now, as I said, it can be built properly and made to fit a niche. You want round-the-clock utility and flavor? Pact of the Tome, and now you have EB+6 other cantrips to gently caress around with @ level 4.. No Wizard in the party? Book of Ancient Secrets and now you can take care of all the ritual needs without compromising on reliable DPR. Fragile, you said? No, you take Hexblade as your patron and now you have Medium Armor + Shield AC. Or you're in a situation where the party needs damage, and healing, and has no Wizard - you can take Celestial patron to get 1+level daily uses of slotless Healing Word plus 2 other cantrips for 9 total at level 4. That's pretty decent.

Also, in case it hadn't become apparent given its lack of mention so far, Pact of the Chain is a trap pick so you kinda screwed yourself over with that - Pact of the Tome can take a familiar through BoAS, so that's 90% of what Chain accomplishes while still having all the rest of the Tome goodies on top. But Imps are cool, right? "...boring class is held together by flavor text."

Another thing that can be done with it, as I and others mentioned, is multiclass fodder. Right there on the thread title, Sorlock, very good. It's basically what I think you wanted out of playing Warlock, but all it takes is 2-3 levels in Warlock itself and the rest goes into Sorcerer. Either way, if you're not liking what you're playing right now, I'd suggest you ask your DM if you can rebuild.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

My friends playing his first ever 5e campaign and is doing a warlock for 2 levels then all wizard after that and it sounds pretty good to be able to blast away while still getting all the wizard versatility (albeit a bit later)

Eldritch Blast keys off CHA so it'll be either subpar blasting or subpar Wizard casting (on top of the 2 level delay).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I think he dumped Cha because EB doesn't add an ability score modifier from what I can tell

EB adds an ability score modifier to damage *if* you take the Invocation for it.

Otherwise its the same damage scaling as Firebolt.

But at lower accuracy because that keys off CHA.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

You can't use your spellcasting int modifier for the attack roll of a warlock cantrip ?

No. Spells (including cantrips) always use the attribute modifier of the source class.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Your Cleric also forgot she could immediately end the fight with Hold Person.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Yiff Room.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blackrazor is so strong it's honestly worth it to hit undead with it even even through the 1d10 self damage and 1d10 HP recover on the baddies. But if you have a decent 1h weapon to offhand while holding Blackrazor in the other, that's okay too.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone done any non-bladelock, non-paladin, non-Arcana cleric gish builds they enjoyed?

I've wanted to do it with Nature cleric but the stats are a pain vs Arcana. I've wondered if there's any purpose for the tomelock Shillelagh gish in a Post-hexblade world. Tempest pretends to gish but really desperately needs a magic item for STR to pull it off. I've wanted to do a high elf swashbuckler with Booming Blade but never had the opportunity.

Only played it for a little bit, but Shield&Stick (works with spears now!) PAM+Warcaster EK with BB and Dueling Fighting Style works nicely. The Meme Blade route takes a while to come online (level 8 minimum, and 14 to really explode), but it has potential if you're looking to deal stupid amounts of damage.

Speaking of Shadow Blade, Bladesinger + Elven Accuracy with it is very solid.

Note Arcana works better than Nature because it gets to apply WIS to both GFB targets at 8.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 9, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nearly completely useless in combat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

DM wants to run Strahd. Is a Conquest Paladin gonna have a bad time / is too much stuff immune to fear in the module to be worth it?

Some of the mobs you run into (mindless undead) are immune and a handful of things have magic resistance, but for the most part it shouldn't be an issue.

Just bear in mind you get the aura at 7 and the module only runs till 9, so you'll only get to play with fear poo poo very little unless the DM drags on the victory lap.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

UrbicaMortis posted:

Are there any rules for creating stronger undead as a wizard? I was looking at Animate Dead, since I'd like to play a necro wizard if my current character ever gets killed, and it seems like it only allows you to raise and control an increasingly large number of regular zombies/skeletons as you level.

While that does seem fun, surely at higher levels it's just going to to cause combat to slow to a crawl? Think i'd prefer to have two strong minions rather than have to handle ten zombies turns or whatever.

5e support for pet classes is so poor it's best avoided altogether.

Just make do with your skellies then planar bind an Earth Elemental or Draegloth when you get to 11.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Seriously, just get an elemental or planar bound fiend as an ally, or alternatively ask the DM to go on some quest to build/get a Shield Guardian or Gray Slaad, and avoid class rewriting headaches. These things are the best pets you can realistically get anyway.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone played Horizon Walker? Thinking about doing it in Strahd though I'm wondering if it gets interesting /exciting or if it's just "sometimes you teleport but mostly you punch dudes with a sword, the end"

Protection from Evil, Misty Step and Haste are all excellent spells to have. The Bonus Action ability is okay. Also, sometimes you teleport but mostly you punch dudes with a sword.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

the_steve posted:

Is that Gunslinger homebrew class any good? The one based off of Critical Role or whatever that is?

No; it's a worse Battle Master limited to using mediocre homebrew weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My group prefers milestone leveling because that way we can constantly annoy the DM by asking if we leveled up every time we win a fight or discover some treasure.