Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
something I've been wondering: why are there separate values for actual XP and the "adjusted" XP that represents the difficulty of the encounter, and increases with multiple monsters? it seems like if an encounter takes more of the players' resources, and is more risky, they should get greater rewards for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Taeke posted:

I googled it and apparently it's because otherwise it'd be possible to farm large groups of easy enemies for easy xp?

Whatever, milestone leveling and making it part of the narrative is the way to go anyway. I think I've said it before in this thread but I always hated the idea of finishing a fight in the middle of a dungeon, leveling, and suddenly having new abilities.

"Hey guys, I know how to cast fireball now! Sure would've been great an hour before, right?" :v:

I always try to tie in leveling with a bit of downtime. That way it makes sense for them to have honed their skills and be able to do new stuff on their bext adventure.

I split the difference by saying you have to finish a long rest to level like in Morrowind

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Can anyone recommend good adventures that take place on the outer planes? They can be from any edition because I'm just using them as inspiration or my own outer planes adventure

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Can anyone recommend a high level (~18) single-session dungeon crawl that allows most of it to be bypassed or beaten with stealth? Need something like that to adapt to my own adventure.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone have recommendations for where to get premade, generic maps? In particular I'm looking for maps to use on Mount Celestia, so holy temples, royal fountains, cloudy peaks, perfectly tended garden type stuff.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I was looking for an artist to commission to draw portraits of my D&D party. Does anyone have recommendations?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm trying to come up with a name for neutral good outsiders, like how lawful good outsiders are angels and lawful evil outsiders are devils. My ideas so far were Goodfellows, Benefactors and Samaritans. Does anyone have other ideas or opinions on which of those is best?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Rutibex posted:

Neutral good outsiders are typically animal people, like Leonals and Avorals.

I know. In my campaign they're not going to be though. The animal people are in the chaotic good plane instead. I'm not sure what the neutral good outsiders are going to look like but I want them distinct from from angels, who in my campaign look like seraphim and ophanim, and chaotic good outsiders that are like nature spirits.

I might just end up making them look like people but radiantly attractive.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the best 5e adventure besides Curse of Strahd?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm working on a homebrew version of 5th ed that fixes its issues. For example, to avoid endgame combat where everyone hits everyone on every roll, I was going to give each class some flavorful way to add their proficiency bonus to AC. So I was wondering, what are all the different design problems with 5e in your opinion, and are there any similar systems that fix or avoid them which I could use for inspiration?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

NotNut posted:

I'm working on a homebrew version of 5th ed that fixes its issues. For example, to avoid endgame combat where everyone hits everyone on every roll, I was going to give each class some flavorful way to add their proficiency bonus to AC. So I was wondering, what are all the different design problems with 5e in your opinion, and are there any similar systems that fix or avoid them which I could use for inspiration?

Here's something I found that seems to be what I'm looking for. Is anybody familiar with it, or has any thoughts on the changes it makes? https://drive.google.com/file/d/11o3jWW8w9EgEHjmSB7afkGHwegbUe8_Z/view

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there anywhere I could go to read a comprehensive criticism of 5th edition's rules, or a list of the most common criticisms?

Edit: I should be clear, I'm not talking about this in an edition wars sense, why it's worse or better than any other edition. I mean criticisms of 5e on its own merits as a game, which I could use as guidance when designing homebrew.

NotNut fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 15, 2023

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Gray Ghost posted:

System Mastery has 4 episodes or so dedicated to this that might help you get started here. I’d be interested in any other resources too.

I listened to their 5th edition episode and it was pretty good, thanks.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone have recommendations for virtual tabletop/mapping software? Or is there a thread for that?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

homeless snail posted:

Idk if there's a thread. Personally I like Dungeondraft and Dungeonscrawl for maps. Dungeondraft maps can look really nice but you're gonna have to go out and find assets for it to get the most out of it, Dungeonscrawl is just really fast to throw things together + has importers for the best two procgen dungeon generators if you need something immediately.

For VTTs most people are going to say Foundry but Owlbear 2.0 is, incredibly good imo.

Thanks. Up until now I've always done traditional mapping, drawing it out on big wet-erase grids and using minis, but I'd like to try some way to digitally map and run battles on a local table so I can start them much more quickly without drawing anything, and maybe so things like HP are easier to track. I was thinking of putting up a monitor in the middle of the table for the players to look at.

NotNut fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 12, 2023

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's a good program for making basic dungeon maps? Like just walls, doors and numbers on gridlines

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Are there any dungeon map making apps that let you move entire rooms around?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I need to draw a massive cave with a river running through it, a cabin and some rock pillars. Does anyone have a recommendation of mapping software I could use to make that quickly? I'd rather not use Dungeondraft because it sucks.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

It does for this unfortunately. I use dungeon scrawl for my dungeon maps but this is a map for a climactic final battle so I wanted it to be special.

Bad Munki posted:

This took zero seconds with Dungeon Alchemist because I started a new map and just told it I wanted it to be a cave with a river and glowing mushrooms.

Of course one would be free to adjust the terrain as needed, add dressing, monster camps, whatever. Very easy. Export to Roll20 or Foundry or whatever if that's your thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1588530/Dungeon_Alchemist/

I'll try that, thanks.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Bad Munki posted:

This took zero seconds with Dungeon Alchemist because I started a new map and just told it I wanted it to be a cave with a river and glowing mushrooms.

Of course one would be free to adjust the terrain as needed, add dressing, monster camps, whatever. Very easy. Export to Roll20 or Foundry or whatever if that's your thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1588530/Dungeon_Alchemist/

Can you add buildings in caves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone have a picture of a wooden-roofed lodge, hall or chapel viewed top-down that I could paste into a map?

Edit: Nevermind, I found one.

NotNut fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 26, 2024