Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I've been living in my new city (Boston) now for long enough that I feel ready and settled enough to head out into the gaming world again or whatever

I'm really jonesing for some tabletop rpg gaming, and short of knowing anyone, I've begun wondering if Adventurer's League is remotely fun

Is it as almost entirely DM-skill dependent as I'm imagining it is? What's the general idea of what it's all about? Is there RP and such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If I make an AL character at home to bring to a session, do I make them level one? Is there an at-table catch up mechanic or will I just be the low level person in the party?

In all of my scouring and downloading the player packet or whatever, I can't find anything on the specifics of guidelines for making and equipping a new character

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Are you using this packet? https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Player--DM-Pack

The entirety of page 2 of the Player's Guide is Character Creation.

But, yes, level 1. Any AL table will be run at a specific Tier, and Tier 1 is level 1-4, so if you show up to a Tier 1 table with your level 1 guy, you might be the lowest, but everyone will be relatively close and the encounters will be doable at your level.

Oh shoot I don't know how I missed that

Cheers

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't mean to be dismissive, but do you honestly not see the difference between failing at what is attempted and being unable to act at all?

I know you meant this as a no-brainer dunk but as far as "game feel" these two things aren't that far apart, because in the end neither thing is actually doing something

A failed melee attack roll in D&D doesn't have any effect on the gameplay, same as a turn in which you're unable to do anything at all

RAW D&D combat doesn't "allow" for failing forwards; it's binary

edit: except for spells! some of which just do less damage on a successful save. Why fighters/barbs/etc don't force CON/DEX/Whatever checks for more damage is beyond me--or maybe at least guaranteed damage equal to STR/DEX bonus, but I digress

gradenko_2000 posted:

3. If you absolutely must hit them with a debilitating effect, announce it ahead of time and give them an opportunity to prevent it avoid it. You can hit the players with anything as long as you warn them beforehand

I think this is the best route to go with for something as potent as a Mindflayer; you have to have it "wind up" in some narrative way

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 3, 2019

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Reducing this to "they're the same they had the same effect" is arguing that missing a shot on goal and sitting on the bench is the same experience for the player. It's not.

Missing a shot can contribute things in sports, because sports "mechanically" fail forward

In gridiron a missed pass can result in an interception, in hockey, basketball and football a missed shot can rebound to a teammate or an opponent who then goes on to do something

The closest thing in sport to the same sort of failure state is I guess striking out or popping up in baseball, which can still result in things happening (sac flies, freak errors, a swinging third strike that the catcher mis-handles and the runner gets on anyway)

A fighter swinging and missing their attack mechanically does nothing, RAW. It's as if it didn't happen. It's effectively identical to not being in the game at all, and it's absolutely awful.

At least when you're stunned you can't be fooled into thinking you're capable of doing something.

Edit: I guess to put forward a fully complete thought, it's that ultimately yes, not having an effect on combat brutally sucks. But singling out crowd control effects is missing the forest for the trees.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 3, 2019

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

P.d0t posted:

We recruited a couple more players, so I'm hoping for at least some kind of full-time healer, and maybe a Sorcerer/Warlock to be added to the mix, but we're apparently keeping that secret until our characters all actually meet up.

For the most part, healing in combat is a net-negative for the party, since healing (at low levels) tends to be so low and unpredictable that in almost every case trying to kill the thing that's going to be hurting you is better than healing.

So don't worry about it, imo. Not to mention that Clerics and Paladins aren't even really "healers" in the sense that they tend to be in MMOs

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Was there any indication in the development of 5e as to why they didn't include "Take 10"?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh goddammit what the poo poo.

Yeah, that;s take 10.

Ignore me, I'm mistaking myself.

Yeah same. So is 10+skill a RAW "passive" for every skill?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Passive ________ skills are a legalistic solution to a legalistic problem that never needed to exist in the first place. It's an incredibly dumb rule based entirely around "we much never, ever give the players advice on when to and when not to roll."

How about instead of long convoluted "take 10" rules you just actually try to teach DMs not to make players roll for loving everything?

Oh absolutely, it would be rad if new DMs were onboarded well enough to not have to pick up "don't make players roll for dumb stuff", but when the game's designer is running campaigns where stuff is gated behind investigation checks, there's a problem with the sort of like, knowledge-by-osmosis that has taken place

As a player, having "I take a 10" in 3.5 was a way to get around combative DMs who would do stuff like disallow the rogue to open a locked chest in a room with no enemies and no time constraints because they failed on their random chance

That sort of thing doesn't make any sense! But it happens all the time. A codified way to give the player some rules "power" over what their character is actually good at was a nice thing

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Farg posted:

i wouldn't solely judge success in a social encounter on rp but i would require at least a little more than "i say something convincing to the guard i rolled a 17"

I'm this way too. Are people playing games where a player says "I tell the guard a lie" and then they just expect to roll?

Edit: to expand a bit: it's important because there's about a billion different ways to lie and equivocations going on during these sorts of interactions, and they all might have differing degrees of difficulty

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 19, 2019

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

A player should get to state their intent and make a roll with a relevant skill or stat if they can't or even if they don't feel like describing their character's exacts words and actions.

This shouldn't be controversial, but here we are, arguing that if you can't improv for a few minutes whenever you're told to, you don't deserve to be playing the game.

The difference between climbing a wall or combat and a social interaction like deception is different because the various ways one can climb a wall or swing a sword aren't going to impact the end goal, which is either climbing the wall or dealing your damage dice

If you encounter a situation where you need to lie to get past a guard, the positive or negative outcomes can vary wildly depending specifically on how you go about it

Do you...

- Lie about being a guard here to take over the shift?
- Try to seduce the guard?
- Be a "concerned citizen" informing the guard of a shady character nearby?

And the context also informs how these things impact the fiction. Are you trying to lie to get past a guard...

- In broad daylight?
- In the middle of the night?
- During a battle?

And there's various other miscellaneous contexts as well like are you...

- In a costume, like dressed up as this person's boss? Or monarch?
- In your full armor?
- With an NPC or PC that would stand out in this town?

More information than "I roll deception to lie to get us past" is needed to determine what happens next in the fiction. Asking someone how they do something isn't gatekeeping, it's the game

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Are people playing games so fiction-lite that "I persuade the guard" with literally no other explanation for how they persuade them or what happens with the guard is a thing that happens?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Glagha posted:

I mean if you want to take an obviously off the cuff example as an actual position go ahead and argue with that strawman.

Oh that wasn't rhetorical, I was really asking; that's a genuinely foreign concept to me in like 15 years of ttrpgs. Obviously people can play how they want! :shobon:

thespaceinvader posted:

Sometimes, yes.

Here's an idea, if you're the DM and one of your players just wants to roll and see if their talking succeeds or fails, YOU describe what happens and how.

That's something you can do - fill in story details that the players are light on.

This is why I asked if people were really playing that exact example; it seems so extreme to me to be balking at the idea of asking a player "how do you want to persuade the guard?" Because the gradients for how the guard reacts to a failure or success vary wildly

Like, the difference between failure being the guard reacting like "what? get the hell out of here you weirdo" and "...I'm calling for backup"

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 20, 2019

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'll just take the L here because like on some level I understand but at the same time, the back-to-back 'replace the words in posts with other combat action "equivalents"' just do not work for me and I don't want to seem like I'm trying to police how people play their games, so I guess based on everyone's reactions I really am in the minority here

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Remora posted:

uhhhhhhhhh o_o

Hey guys, I have a player whose personal mission (ie, side goal unrelated to the "main quest") is finding an old flame. He got a message from her about, uh, either doing a job together or helping her fence something, and when he went to the town she specified, it was sacked by marauding drow (figuring out what is up with the drow is the main quest), and she was nowhere to be seen. The campaign is now also about the player stronghold near this town, rebuilding it, local politics, etc, while figuring out why the drow are suddenly so bold.

What are some good twists some of you DMs out there might employ at your table, that have nothing to do with this slavering abomination of a discussion?

She was forced--because the inaction of the traditional town leadership--to scrounge together and lead an underground resistance movement to Drow invaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

inthesto posted:

Playing with open stats is a thought that's straight up never occurred to me, because nobody I've played with has done it in the past, and even RPGs typically don't do it.

However, if it speeds up combat and encourages tactical play, I'm all for it. Even the halfway solution of "barely injured, etc." that the Baldur's Gate games do would make things even slower.

Same; it's so simple I don't know why I never thought to do it when running D&D, but I absolutely will now

I've always wanted people to move past the weird like...I dunno how to describe, like, deference to the DM in combat, pretending we all can't infer what the AC of an enemy is through previous attacks

"Ok uhh...does 25 hit?"
"Yes"

Like we all know that the previous person hit on 16 let's move it along

Is that baked into peoples' behaviours because of some cargo cult thing from systems where AC wasn't "locked in"? I'm only familiar with it from 3E onwards

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 2, 2019