Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

There's an acanaloth named anagram Gary Gygax whose glasses are a portal key from Sigil too Arcadia for no reason reason being easter egg. XtGE has the planer ranger. MToF has Gith. There's some moderate ground work being layed but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Yeah I think weird teases are where it's gonna end. D&D honestly doesn't seem like the right system for Planescape anyway, but based on the modules, I don't think they have the ambition to even try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

For sure, I want new planescape stuff. I just think it's a setting more ambitious than the system, and that makes it unlikely to me. We don't even have more than a couple paragraphs on the feywild yet.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do traps even have any reason to exist as they do? I can't think of a system that feels less necessary and more harmful to the progress of the game. As implemented, you're telling your players "there's a mechanic that for the most part does not exist and will rarely exist. But if you forget that it actually *does* exist, I'm going to punish you. The only way to avoid this is to bring up the mechanic that functionally does not exist in every room when you go through a dungeon. Occasionally I'll decide if the mechanic exists and give you a *chance* not to get hurt by it."

What's the fun in that?

I like presenting big obvious hazards that create problem solving challenges, not a mechanic whose key function seems to be to slow everything to a crawl.

It feels like (and I know this is super outta character for DnD, folks) a legacy system that has no purpose to stick around other than it being a legacy system.

Does anyone do traps in a way that they feel adds to the game, other than the aforementioned great big puzzle solving hazard?

In a group where I'm a player, I'm the person with the most Investigation and I basically never contribute to trap searches because OH MY GOD WHO CARES (and also I don't have Darkvision).

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 24, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

BTW, this is almost word-for-word how I describe Encumbrance.

Yeah, I feel like there's a pretty universal agreement among DMs though to the effect of "gently caress it, you get a Haversack or a Bag of Holding. I don't want to have to track this poo poo." And for some reason, this doesn't hurt Muscles Malone's feelings the way removing traps makes your Resident Thieves Tools Expert feel unwanted.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I put the question to a DM group on reddit and unsurprisingly they all missed the goddamn point and gave answers about when traps make narrative sense, rather than how to make them not create a bunch of unnecessary drag on the 99% of the game without traps or how to make the payoff worth that drag.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Reveilled posted:

In terms of removing the drag on the game, I’d suggest that you use passive perception for detecting traps immediately and tell your players you’ll always have them roll active perception at the last second before the trap is triggered. If they succeed, you tell them they’ve spotted the trap, if they fail, “click”.

That way players never need to say “I’m checking for traps” and players don’t need to read into a request for a perception check, there’s an immediate consequence.

I want to put this in the reddit thread and just scream "WAS THAT SO loving HARD"

But yeah I like this. It also kind of matches how I handle stealth, which is we assume anyone who's declared they're trying to sneak or be quiet is using their best effort to stay hidden. Dice don't come out until there's a chance they might be seen.

edit: I guess my only issue here is we'd have to track passive Investigation too, which the Observant feat insists is a thing but who's ever used that?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 24, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

you have got to link the thread

It's not really entertaining.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone seen hags done especially well? I keep seeing people say they're weak and should be plotting story antagonists more than mere monsters but nobody seems to elaborate on it

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I feel like I wanna do a short campaign (like up to 5 sessions) about a coven of Night Hags terrorizing a village and along the way give the group the chance to seize, misinform, and strategically destroy a Hags Eye.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

What about giving them champion+battle master+Eldritch Knight archetypes?
I wonder what a game with a "choose 3 archetypes in your class get all three benefits" game would play like.

Fighter's problem isn't that he's not good enough at killing dudes (though making him better at killing dudes probably doesn't break anything)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The post about how the Fighter should be "the hero" still seems like the most reasonable change - - whoever it was that said a fighter should inspire and be a leader and an exemplar of their people.

I don't know how to systematize it, but it's like the only idea here that has stayed on task in recognizing that Fighter needs more love in the other pillars more than he needs to be better at killing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's already a Fighter that does all this and it's called Paladin.

I mean if that's the case there's no point in rehabilitating the Fighter.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So rehabilitate Purple Dragon Knight, and make *that* belong to every Fighter.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I do like the 'bored veteran' archetype, too. Soomeone who just wanders apparently aimlessly through everything, and JUST ducks at the right time, JUST slides to the side as the axe swings down, just quirks an eyebrow and makes a gesture and the master of the thieves' guild gulps and hands over the loot he'd been planning to keep on a technicality, etc etc.

But again, it comes down to narrative impact.

Gonna dig up my copy of White Wolf's "Adventure!" tonight and see if any daredevil knacks translate to dnd well. The preternaturally lucky hero fighter could be fun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Xae posted:

I like the Order of the Ancient Paladin because it is the exact opposite of your typical Holier-than-Thou Paladin.

Hes the guy who stays up drinking and partying all night and still wakes up in the morning to kick evils rear end and save the village.

Its great for people who want to play a Paladin and don't want to either have a stick up their rear end or a Batman (Oath of Vengeance) fetish.

I feel like there's some dissonance between the tenets and "this is the nature /fey/elf Paladin" mechanics. When I first started I wanted to make an Ancients Paladin that I think someone here shorthanded to "beer knight" but the mechanics would take some substantial reskinning to fit.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Xae posted:

You have to play the character as someone who views nature not as something you take a pretty but somber stroll through, but as something that you have a Dionysian rite in and stay up all night drinking and dancing. Leave the "nature is so precious no one should touch it" routine to the Druids.

To an Ancient Paladin Nature isn't something to be appreciated like a piece in a museum, it is something to be lived in, shared and enjoyed. And something you have to protect.

It's more that the mechanics are nature junk but the oath could be so much more. If your oath is to uphold the good things in life, why does that manifest in elfy tree hugger ways. I like the tenets and mechanics but neither seems to imply the other, to me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My issue isn't "I want to play a nature paladin and these tenets don't match." It's "I want these tenets but the mechanics have nothing to do with it."

Each deserves to be completed into its own subclass instead of being bolted together.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I think this conversation about "functionally you had no turn" vs "the feeling of agency is important" is definitely going places and I hope nobody ever realizes we're talking about two completely different priorities and can instead keep repeating these things back and forth.

It's about as constructive as comparing peanut butter vs the color green.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

"The feeling of agency is important". Yes. Definitely. I don't think anyone is objecting to that or really even talking about it.

But:

Okay let me rephrase myself: Nobody gives one tenth of a dick whether a complete stranger places more value on the illusion of agency or on the mechanical truth. You have different preferences and no amount of failing to understand that is going to make either side change their mind.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I keep feeling like a warlock could be fun in a campaign where you can really lean into Charm Person, Mask of Many Faces and Misty Visions. But in a typical combat heavy game, yeah. You get real bored.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It'd be a lot easier for invocations to make Warlock fun if Agonizing Blast weren't more or less mandatory for games with a normal or higher amount of combat and/or if the pacts just came with one of their associated invocations for free or something. You basically either take stuff for maximum effectiveness or take fun creative things and hope your DM doesn't squelch their use, because you're not getting it all together until well past when most campaigns will be done.

I feel like the next time I DM if I really wanna encourage a warlock to do fun exciting things I'd put some of the funsies invocations on a magic item.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've done variations on White Plume Mountain three times and just do not get DMs' love for that place. It reminds me of Doom levels I made as a kid where every room is a new gimmick and there's no unifying concept or natural purpose to anything.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

But there are no Mind Flayers in Whiteplume Mountain.

Of the three times I've run it, every time the DM hosed with things for funsies. Twice, those choices were disastrous. One led to character death and the other would have without some really obvious pulled punches.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

TO be fair, we cruise controlled the whole thing except that fight and only part of it was having 1 overloaded old money dude. The other half was that we basically shortcut every hazard with tight play.

Admittedly the two groups I had that got wrecked real bad owed to playing with dumbos while the DM tuned it to being against a group of clones of me. In the one I ran as a bard, I took a Cloak of Stars with me 'cause I was like "gently caress it, these people are going to be garbage at damage and I'm going to need to do literally everything myself." I was right.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone done any non-bladelock, non-paladin, non-Arcana cleric gish builds they enjoyed?

I've wanted to do it with Nature cleric but the stats are a pain vs Arcana. I've wondered if there's any purpose for the tomelock Shillelagh gish in a Post-hexblade world. Tempest pretends to gish but really desperately needs a magic item for STR to pull it off. I've wanted to do a high elf swashbuckler with Booming Blade but never had the opportunity.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, Arcana is the one that *just works* but I've wanted to do Nature if anything could make it not a mess on ability points because Spike Growth is awesome and 90% of arcana cleric domain might as well be ribbon.

Even so, Arcana works, double dips into improved cantrips on gfb, and uses wisdom for gfb while Nature (or a magic initiate druid if you're weird) can't use their main casting stat on it.

That's why I'm looking for weird left field gish options. Hexblade, arcana gish and paladin multis stand out so bright.

I do think if you're not playing up to 8 there's a case for spore druid with Booming Blade but again gfb will be disappointing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DM wants to run Strahd. Is a Conquest Paladin gonna have a bad time / is too much stuff immune to fear in the module to be worth it?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conquests whole schtick is about fear to control space though. His aura does literally nothing without fear

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay but the thing I'm trying to get answered is can I expect the primary feature of the class to work in this campaign

Edit: I'm asking if it's gonna mostly be undead

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 11, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man I really wanna play Conquest but keep missing chances for it.

I spitballed a magic initiate spore druid with Booming Blade and it seems not bad? Not busted or anything, but viable and fun. I think he's cleared Rav stuff but I'll check.

Like, damage doesn't compare to cleric but you get things to do while holding on to your big concentration spells, rather than plinking with garbage cantrips.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Maybe they wrote the rules like this because they knew how important endless arguments are to the feel of D&D.

Yeah, I know “puppet master”.

Way more intentionality to that than I think the D&D team has *but* I do know some video game devs deliberately put like no effort into documenting or explaining their systems because the people who obsess at figuring them out create communities.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oneshot at level 13 next week. Any published material is okay. No word on magic items or spellbook additions yet. Anyone got anything fun in mind? We're probably fighting a dragon. I was thinking like maybe a valor bard on a Peryton via Find Greater Steed.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone played Horizon Walker? Thinking about doing it in Strahd though I'm wondering if it gets interesting /exciting or if it's just "sometimes you teleport but mostly you punch dudes with a sword, the end"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's less "is it good" and more "is there some fun hidden nuance to it"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It has saves on con and wis, which is a weird break from how all the others are designed. (And also weird because it's a charisma class.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

kingcom posted:

I mean a warlord is kinda known for their ability to resist status effects and help others get out of status effects, thats how you do that in 5e. Hilariously they are still worse at it than a Paladin.

Right but the standard is one main save, one obscure one. Wisdom/Charisma fits.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know how else to phrase this: classes not following a standard is how classes are distinguishable from each other

At least kingcom made a case for it rather than somehow making a big reach and being pedantic about it at the same time. Nobody says "I want to play Paladin because I want that specific combination of saving throws."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I were trying to hook an Arcana domain cleric into CoS, without spoiling anything for me, is there some way to work service to Savras in with the whole Vistani deal and their schtick with The Sight?

It's a neat domain mechanically but it's hard to conceive of them having a mission and purpose, yknow?

Edit: Maybe just some dude investigating a blind spot in Savras's divination created by the presence of Strahd's domain?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 22, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any books have info on the Benign Order of the Third Eye? I found a blurb on the wizards site and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah that's the one. Cool that I've got room to just declare canon. I read a ton about Mystra
the last time I was doing arcana domain but it ended at level 4, before the build really popped off.

I put together a custom background to drive home the vibe of being a monstrous hypocritical inquisitor.