Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Hollismason posted:

Hey, anyone got some suggestions for tokens that would be used for visual aids for a in real life game. Seems more affordable than miniatures. Unless there's some super cheap miniatures out there.

Scale and print images and use binder clips to make them into standees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I have a bunch of toys and other little things for D&D minis. Some bought for a specific purpose, some just collected. Dollar stores, thrift stores, flea markets, etc are all good sources. Clearance sections of toy and novelty places can also have some fun stuff, a local drugstore was selling some Yu-Go-Oh minis for almost nothing so now I have some weird bugs, a four eyed beluga whale, and a sci-fi centaur as minis.

Some I attach bases to, I've found that Pringles lids are perfect large size bases and nuts come in containers with perfect huge (or maybe gargantuan, not sure ATM) bases.

Sometimes you can find neat art or symbols on plastic cards, like hotel keys and membership cards, and cut those down to size. If you want mono colors go raid your local hardware store for paint swatch cards.

I also got some cheap bugs in resin that were made into jewellery that are perfect for giant insects.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Oh so there are old modules for fifth converted?

There are even some that have been done officially.

Tales from the Yawning Portal are all adventures from previous edition. Maybe Saltmarsh is too?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I designed and printed some meeples with letters on them for generic use, I'll link them when thingiverse is easier to access

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I ask mostly because those peeples posted on the other page look like a great idea, but they're just ever so slightly off-scale, and the UK delivery is almost as much as the things themselves.

If you're a stickler for scale you almost need to do everything on your own for scratch anyways. Maps are 1:60 but WiKids use 1:56 for their minis, and I doubt they're even consistent with that. I scaled some minis from mz4250 and a tiefling scaled to be six feet tall at 1:60 and he was barely bigger than an official halfling mini.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Here's my J, K, L, M, & N tokens in Tinkercad.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/giundrpxB32-tok-jklmn

I never thought anyone would want to use them so they're not organized or even all set to public. I have large and tiny ones as well.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Does weapons include staves? Get a staff of insect swarming and have a bee bee gun :v:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If your DM is gonna let you make special bullets anyways just ask for bullets with effects you want.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not actually using special bullets, the gun is just a prop to disguise* that my character is actually casting spells, he doesn't need it at all. I only mentioned it because it seemed tangential to what Ranier Salazar was talking about.

* for backstory reasons

Yeah I meant to quote this part of the post

quote:

The sunblade seems like its mainly useful against undead in which case I might as well figure out holy water bullets and get the same effect.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

I gave an artificer a revolver with six "charges" a day. At the beginning of the day, the artificer could decide which damage type the gun was loaded with for those six "charges" from acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison damage.

I wish there was more stuff RAW that differentiated damage types. Thankfully it's pretty easy to lift effects from cantrips and other spells to spice things up, cold reduces movement speed, lightning means you can't take reactions, etc.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

My group is 4 people with almost always open schedules and the busiest woman alive 😭

Get a second campaign going that doesn't include her. Or give the character an excuse to be absent.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

I've never even bothered making up backstory for why a given character is or is not available. If life happens and someone has to drop out for a session then welp, they're just not there and nobody in the universe remembers their existence to even ask about them. When they manage to get back in to the game I try to let the players brief them on what happened in their absence so I don't contaminate the narrative they've built up with my head canon then we get right back to it with no explanation asked or given. The character is there now and has always been there now and will always be there now until they're not again.

Yeah, the actual playing is the important part. Unless you really only enjoy playing with the missing person, just play.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If you want to use baseline D&D 5e for anything but going on adventures and crawling dungeons and killing everything you meet you're gonna get frustrated.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Bards have a lot of buff and utility spells that don't involve your spellcasting mod at all, so low charisma isn't that big a barrier to effectiveness.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I love my swashbuckler rogue. Not really optimized, though. I took a level in fighter for the proficiencies and for the Two Weapon fighting style. I like the way the character plays and feels, but the Paladin in the party does a lot more damage.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Staltran posted:

Why on earth would a lich be wearing their phylactery? That's just deliberately creating a single point of failure, and is completely counter to the point of having a phylactery in the first place.

Low wisdom Lich who can't help but show off his sweet bling

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Make a table to roll on to determine what's underneath.

0: Nothing
1-3: Heart pattern boxers
4-7: Second backup pants
8-13: Underwear with day of week
14-16: Underwear with wrong day of the week
17-21: Stockings and garters

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

This is my Barbarian gnome, Tripod

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Are you starting your character at a set level, or building as you go?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I think WotC was expecting every party to be 3/4rs human or something

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

imagine dungeons posted:

Plasmoid all the way, baby.

:coolslime::hf::slime:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Flumphs live in cloisters and are led by abbots so it stands to reason there's a Flumph pope

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

or perhaps a flumph costello

:lol: as I was posting I was thinking about introducing a Flumph NPC Abbot just so people could yell "HEY ABBOT!" at.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's like blipboopdebloop or something.

Kuo-Toa language is actually really simple to use when DMing, it's just random sounds that are easy to make.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If you use DnDBeyond there are extensions that let it work with Roll20 (we use Beyond20), which can be less frustrating than dealing with the standard Roll20 interface. I was fine going into the weeds of Roll20 macros and building a bunch of custom buttons, but I doubt the average player will bother with that kind of thing.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Wait, what? Using a component pouch for Booming Blade?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Component pouches are supposed to contain any listed spell components for your spells that don't have a gold value

GFB/BB list melee weapons as components, and previously did not have a minimum value

accordingly, your component pouch contains infinite weapons of your choice so you didn't need one to use the blade cantrips

I'm pretty sure that was already covered with "you must make a melee attack with a weapon"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I also don't see how the intent was to stop you from using a focus. The focus stands in for the component of the spell, but the description still requires a weapon.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Component pouches don't make the components.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Valentin posted:

I struggle to find a way to read this to suggest anything other than that a component pouch contains all components except those that have a specified cost. The fact that melee weapons were listed as a component with no cost implied they were held in a pouch until they were cast. That's why this got errata'd. What am I missing?

e: like what seems to be suggested by the replies I'm getting is that a component pouch contains not e.g. bat guano but the vague gameplay essence of bat guano needed to cast a spell. But that is simply not what is said. The pouch is not a material focus replacing the need for components, it literally and explicitly contains all non-costed components. That's stupid, and adding a cost to the weapon in BB/GFB to make the component pouch not a melee weapon container is stupid, but it seems pretty straightforwardly true by what's written.

Okay, sure. You can pull a weapon out of your component pouch. What weapon is it? How much damage does this weapon do? How does it fit in the pouch? Can't be any of the weapons on the weapons table, because those have a cost.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Crawford seems to come up with a lot of solutions for problems that don't exist.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

A party full of people trying to optimize for combat is also gonna have a much easier time than a party of people who just choose what they think looks and sounds fun.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think I have that, at least not unless Bless (+1d4 to saves and attack rolls) and Faerie Fire (advantage on attack rolls to affected targets) count as damage reduction by helping to kill enemies faster.

Way better to focus on that and save the healing for emergencies. Failing a save can be just as bad as dropping to 0

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Are you looking to buy them?

It's convenient but man I wasn't impressed getting a bunch of tokens that are just the creature name instead of an image.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

it would be cool if wizards could spend downtime studying a first level spell until theyre good enough at it to cast it as a cantrip

I think that's what signature spells or whatever is all about

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Of course they don't, that would step on the toes of the Wizard regaining spell slots on a short rest.

I feel like Sorcerers shouldn't have to rely on most spell components and Wizards should have to rely on them more.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

They bring Chaos Bolt, their one unique spell!

Wizard subclasses are magic schools (mostly kinda), Warlocks adopt the abilities thematic of their patron, Clerics get domains of Gods, Druids take on an aspect of nature, Bards focus on areas of knowledge (I guess?) and Sorcerers... Get one of those by being born with it, but probably not as good.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They had a niche, flexibility, but everyone else moved into it.

They need short rest spell recovery.

Emphasize the flexibility by using points over slots. Now people who are familiar with Final Fantasy's MP system can quickly understand how spellcasting works.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Morrow posted:

Sorcerer and Warlock should just be merged, Warlock does the Sorcerer's original gimmick of being a brute force caster way better.

That and stuff like the celestial Warlock and divine soul sorcerer feel redundant to me and might as well be blended together.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Evokers being able to sculpt spells and leave allies untouched every time is so much better than the sorcerer having to spend a resource to only do half damage is a pretty good demonstration of the disparity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I leaned into the nepo baby angle for my original setting and most of the world is ruled by a noble class of draconic sorcerers. Any draconic sorcerers are automatically eligible candidates for nobility so you've got potential you can offer up to a house that hasn't yet produced a worthy heir but you may also get a target on your back for the same reason.