Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

While we're on this topic...

-exhaustion is batshit insane and will automatically kill you at 6 stacks. To my knowledge, there are no effects available to players to inflict exhaustion stacks on an enemy but there might be some monster attack buried somewhere
-intellect devourers can just arbitrarily kill you on contact if you're not a wizard/don't have a high int
-banshees get an actual AoE save or die at CR 4

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be a list of newb trap monsters in the OP that hit far above their weight class/have horrific abilities newbie DMs might want to avoid, thoughts?

Sickening radiance inflicts radiant damage over a wide area and a level of exhaustion for each failed save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I want to put this in the reddit thread and just scream "WAS THAT SO loving HARD"

But yeah I like this. It also kind of matches how I handle stealth, which is we assume anyone who's declared they're trying to sneak or be quiet is using their best effort to stay hidden. Dice don't come out until there's a chance they might be seen.

edit: I guess my only issue here is we'd have to track passive Investigation too, which the Observant feat insists is a thing but who's ever used that?

A lot more people than you think, it's one of the things you SHOULD be keeping track of as it's meant to provide a static number you can use for reference

Edit: whoops, thought you meant passive perception, what I said is true but not nearly to the same degree

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 24, 2018

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Take Resilient (Wisdom).

Kind of a waste over another feat when playing Monk since they get diamond soul which gives them proficiency in all saves

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Except you get that at level 14 and ToA ends well before 14.

True, in that case sure, if you're not playing the monk again

Remora posted:

He's a Battlemaster though, not a monk...?

Not that post, the one before that.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Internet Explorer posted:

Trying to play D&D again for the first time in a long time. Since it's topical, I figured I'd ask. I went Hill Dwarf Cleic in the Life Domain as the only other person who can heal is a Ranger. My plan was to wear heavy armor, a shield, and wade into combat doing a combo of melee, casting, and healing. Is that not a viable thing? Went Hill Dwarf so I've got the Warhammer. When I played ages ago I was a War Cleric and that seemed to be okay.

Also it sounds like I can generally put my spell focus on my shield to cast with it equipped? And then at level 4 pick up war casting so I don't have to unequip it to do the somatic portions?

Does that all sound about right? Should I clear that with my DM if we're getting into annoying power gaming territory?

Per the spellcsstimg section of the PHB, the hand you use to hold your component, (here your shield as a holy symbol) can be the same hand used to perform somatic components, so you don't need war caster for that. Even if for some reason you couldn't use your shield hand, you could stow your weapon with your free item interaction and cast a spell using that free hand, since you only ever need one for somatic components.

As for being a melee life cleric, totally viable. Life clerics are proficient in heavy armor, and with a warhammer you'll be doing some decent smashing. Just remember that spiritual weapon is non concentration, so there's almost never a reason not to have it up during combat. Unless you're hurting for spell slots.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Pendent posted:

Can't you not cast spells if you're wearing armor you aren't proficient in?

The Cleric domains in question ARE proficient. The issue isn't using it, it's the movement penalty at less than 15 STR, which dwarves ignore.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Also ancients has that sweet sweet magic resistance aura. It's in fact quite good and paladins are quite good.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I don't think spear is actually included in PAM, despite being functionally identical to quarter staffs except for piercing vs blunt

Could always house rule if not AL

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Oh good, makes total sense and now I shall change my Paladin Hexblade to a spear welder cuz that's way more on brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Can anyone remember the earlier discussion in the thread about how to use passive vs active perception when dealing with traps in a dungeon?

I'm trying to recall someones post where they talk about not allowing players to constantly check for traps but instead using passive to see if they notice a trap before encountering it, but otherwise they will, right before triggering it, get a chance to do an investigation/perception check and if they fail, they trigger the trap.

I feel like I'm missing something else that was done with this method to account for talking away the chance to search on your own, or maybe that wasn't part of it at all. I'm sorry if this makes no sense. I tried looking through the thread but I can't find that bit.