Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, that went about as well as could be expected, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This recording was a bit of an experience. I finished work early today as I'm still feeling a little under the weather. I decided to start chapter four as this evening is now nothing but free time.

Chapter four is so short that I managed to condense it into this single video. So far, on average, each recording session has taken between forty-five and sixty minutes depending on how much is happening in the game. In total, this whole chapter took less than an hour and a half to record and complete. A few things happened during this one. I had to re-record a couple of scenes as my voice is still having moments of collapse even though my cold is on its way out. I made one blatant mistake (I decided to keep it in, I cut out my uncontrollable laughter.) The game also decided to crash at one point (I decided to keep that in too.) Luckily I saved the game shortly before the mole incident so it didn't take too long to catch up again.

Simon isn't too much of a dick in this video. I'm not going to spoil anything though.

Chapters four and five segue so I made an executive decision of where to cut. I actually continued recording for several minutes until I saw that the loading screen had changed when I transitioned to a different area. Chapter five looks like it's going to be a lengthy one but there are new people to talk too and new things to explore. I think that I once mistakenly said that there are only five chapters, the sixth chapter is the final one and it looks like it's going to be absolute bullshit.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

We've spent most of the game wondering when Simon eating that peach was going to screw us over and now we know. In fact, it seems like we're suddenly about to face repercussions for a lot of our actions. That's pretty unusual for a Simon game, isn't it?

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 4, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is the start of chapter five and it's time that we started to make some amends. Surprisingly we are still meeting new characters and opening up new areas and it's far from over yet.

ArchWizard posted:

We've spent most of the game wondering when Simon eating that peach was going to screw us over and now we know. In fact, it seems like we're suddenly about to face repercussions for a lot of our actions. That's pretty unusual for a Simon game, isn't it?

It is pretty unusual, it's probably why they've allowed him to be extra dickish in this game. I don't think that he's going to learn much in trying to undo all of this as he's only doing it because he needs to use them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A lot happens in this video. We get to see a very empty new location and we get to see a very full new location. We also see a couple of old friends, a couple of new friends and a couple of friends from the previous games. Also, it's carnival time so there are lots of new things to do and see. I actually quite enjoyed this session.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hey, I just wanted to jump in to say I've been silently watching and enjoying the LP. I'm torn on if the game is amusing or obnoxious or both, but this LP has just kind of been a nice chill distraction for when I've needed one. Thanks for that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It didn't feel like I did a lot in this video but it was productive nonetheless. Simon has now managed to recruit three of the champions. Two of them weren't that much trouble apart from some running around, the third champion didn't exactly go so smoothly...

marshmallow creep posted:

Hey, I just wanted to jump in to say I've been silently watching and enjoying the LP. I'm torn on if the game is amusing or obnoxious or both, but this LP has just kind of been a nice chill distraction for when I've needed one. Thanks for that.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad that you're enjoying the LP so far. I'm still torn myself and the game is almost over.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Simon finally finds and recruits the real Melissa Leg. Chapter five isn't over yet though... I usually prepare myself for everything not going to plan, something in this video went so much better than planned it really threw me off.

I have a three day weekend coming up, Simon 3D will be finished in a matter of days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of chapter five. It may be shorter than usual but it's packed with excitement, puke, gibs, glitches and crashes. Apparently, chapter six is one long sequence, and it's a bit of a poo poo show, so it should be something to look forward too.

Edit: I've recorded and finished the game. It was definitely something...

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 14, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I didn't feel like delaying the inevitable. So much so that I seemed to have forgotten to edit out a little coughing fit. This is chapter six in its entirety and I'm not going to spoil anything involving it. The actual footage of the game ends around the 40-minute mark, the rest of the video is the credits as well as some "out-takes" and extra scenes.

Spoiler warning involving the final action of the game: I cut out around fifteen minutes of trying to get that drat thing to work, half of that was searching for different ways of doing it legitimately which didn't work. Which then led to searching for a way to work around the dilemma. In the end, I managed to do it legitimately and it happened with complete surprise I didn't manage to say anything that I had prepared.

Non-spoiler, I didn't have a chance to say anything before the final action of the game so I'll just say it here. Thank you, everyone, for watching and contributing towards this LP. I wasn't expecting anything from doing this, this was a personal journey for me and I'm glad that people decided to come along for the ride. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this game, to be honest, it's hard for me to have strong feelings about it in one way or another. I could comment on what could have been and what should have been but this is what it is. I am happy though that I've finally been able to complete this trilogy in five parts, for me this LP series is now complete after five years.

Thank you,

Rocket Baby Dolls.

P.S. Simon The Sorcerer 4 and 5 will happen in the future inbetween other projects, so will The Feeble Files. I put another project on hold purely so I could do this LP and I intend to start this adventure game (series? non-series?) next. Right now I'm juggling with the idea of doing two completely different LPs concurrently.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well that certainly was an ending. I guess the real Melissa Leg didn't do much. And Sordid was barely a thing either.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That was, indeed, an ending. :psyduck: Some thoughts:
  • They sure decided to really push Simon's singular spell for that final sequence, didn't they?
  • Jar Nin and the formerly-froggy hero apparently didn't even get a mention in Act Six.
  • Trying to claim that our Simon is 'Good' is the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard.
Definitely looking forward to seeing where the other two games go, at some point in the future.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Having had no experience with this franchise before this thread, I am gobsmacked that they manages to make two more games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yapping Eevee posted:

[*]Trying to claim that our Simon is 'Good' is the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard.[/list]

Maybe the truth is less that the other Simon is 'Evil' and more the opposite of our Simon. He regularly works with people who want to take over the world and such but instead of kicking puppies in his way and begrudgingly doing the right thing when he has to, he befriends puppies in his way and begrudgingly does the evil thing when he has to. The 'evil' thing is just what he's learned from comic books and Star Trek. But then I never played any of the Simon games so who knows if this is how it's followed up later.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Now the finale has been posted there probably isn't any need for spoilers. Jar-Nin and Prince Valiant did just seem to disappear, they really could have been involved in a sequence that didn't revolve around that drat puzzle with the gems.

I'm going to start Simon 4 within the next couple of weeks in a similar fashion to this LP, no frills and concentrating on a straight storyline.

For those who haven't played\watched the first two games, I'd highly recommend them as they are really very good games. They sold very well, received a lot of high praise and spawned a lot of merchandise. Simon The Sorcerer 3D on the other hand, not only crippled the developer's but pretty much killed off the franchise.

The franchise was picked up by a German developer called 'Silver Style Entertainment' who produced a very mediocre sequel. I won't spoil anything with it but the writers did actually keep some continuity from the previous titles. Also, the company replaced the previously very British cast with American actors. It's not a bad game, it's just not a very good game either.

Silver Style Entertainment then decided to produce a fifth game in the series. It didn't do anything to improve the series any further and it was the last game released by the developers before they went into administration.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I absolutely adored (well, mostly) the original two games. Waiting forever to get to play the third and having it be...well, this, was enough to keep me from looking up any sequels. Until the attempt at a Kickstarter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yapping Eevee posted:

[*]Jar Nin and the formerly-froggy hero apparently didn't even get a mention in Act Six.

Did they even do anything except be in the same room at the time everyone got captured? I can't tell if this reeks of cut content or busywork padding more.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Silver Style Entertainment then decided to produce a fifth game in the series. It didn't do anything to improve the series any further and it was the last game released by the developers before they went into administration.
They also made another game about a kid in a magic world around the same time.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/everlight-of-magic-power

It's even blander than the simons.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just completed a short test run of Simon 4. It's definitely something completely different. I'm not going to start a new LP until the week after next. I'm going to be busy all day, every day, and I'm going to be in Scotland for the weekend.

Yapping Eevee posted:

• They sure decided to really push Simon's singular spell for that final sequence, didn't they?
  • Jar Nin and the formerly-froggy hero apparently didn't even get a mention in Act Six.

To comment further on this: I think that this is probably down to the game being in development hell for so long. When the game still had a publisher it failed to pass the first Q&A testing so they had to go back and do even more work on it. Without any official comments, it's hard to give any answers.

There is an email address and a PO Box address for the company. I'm not sure if they're still in use or if anyone will actually answer, but I have been tempted to get in contact. During the development of Simon 3\3D, I was in constant touch with the company asking for details but those emails are unfortunately lost to time and due to limited ISP functions back in the day.

SelenicMartian posted:

They also made another game about a kid in a magic world around the same time.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/everlight-of-magic-power

It's even blander than the simons.

This is still available to buy, I will probably indulge in it further down the road as it looks too... good... not too LP one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.