Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-The Eighth Canticle-

Launch trailer
Cinematic trailer
Geeks and Sundry live-action trailer

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows is a tactical role-playing game developed by Witching Hour Studios and published by Ysbryd Games in September 2016. Witching Hour took pains to do away with as many RPG staples as possible. Masquerada doesn't bother with character levels, gold, ability scores, damage types, or inventory management. Your party only gets five members in all, and an average playthrough should take twelve hours at most. There's little exploration and no backtracking. There's scarcely any side content--many things that would be optional in another RPG, like party members' personal stories, are integrated into the main plot. Sometimes Masquerada can feel a little too simple but for the most part all this fat-trimming is of immense benefit, offering both gameplay and narrative that are tightly designed and well-paced with almost nothing that feels like it might have been better left out. Masquerada even manages to prove that real-time-with-pause combat does not have to suck.

The setting is just as unique, taking more cues from Alexandre Dumas than J.R.R. Tolkien. Citte della Ombre is a city-state where neighborhoods are prizes for the guilds to fight over, a good day means only getting figuratively stabbed in the back, and the haves separate themselves from the have-nots by use of Moskareens Mascherines: relics of a lost civilization that grant their wearers power over the elements. Life is cheap and it's only common sense to exploit and manipulate everyone around you. Despite all this Masquerada's story is only occasionally steeped in edgy grimdark, focusing instead on strangers learning to trust in one another and finding hope for a better life amidst all the schemes and schisms.

All in all I think this game's fantastic. I've played lots of great games this past year but Masquerada: Songs and Shadows was still one of my favorites.

Prologue

Act 1 Scene 1: Return to Shadow
Act 1 Scene 2: Shards of the Past - Part 1
Act 1 Scene 2: Shards of the Past - Part 2
Act 1 Scene 3: Paper Hearts
Act 1 Scene 4: The Light in the Ruins
Act 1 Scene 5: Quiet Songs

Act 2 Scene 1: The Knife Behind His Smile
Act 2 Scene 2: A Bitter Sea
Act 2 Scene 3: What the Water Brings
Act 2 Scene 4: Old Roots
Act 2 Scene 5: Blood Under the Rug

Act 3 Scene 1: Broken Masks
Act 3 Scene 2: The Darker Road
Act 3 Scene 3: Tune of the Tides
Act 3 Scene 4: An Empty Nest
Act 3 Scene 5: Torn Asunder

Act 4 Scene 1: Vacant Thrones

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Great to finally see someone LP this game! I'm definitely glad to get a ground-floor seat on this one.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Yes!!! Ground floor. :getin:

Can't wait to see what people think of this fantastic game. I hope you'll show off the codex entries as they appear?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I hope you'll show off the codex entries as they appear?

Naturally.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This definitely has my attention. It looks pretty stylish in the screenshot, I assume it also flows pretty well in play. I'm also interested if they've shaved off all forms of character advancement, because that would make me less interested in actually playing it, but the theming and the aesthetics will absolutely keep me watching.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This game oozes style but I always had reservations on playing it myself because of the lack of advancement.

Dangit, I like seeing my numbers go up!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Really Pants posted:

-The Eighth Canticle-

Launch trailer
Cinematic trailer
Geeks and Sundry live-action trailer

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows is a tactical role-playing game developed by Witching Hour Studios and published by Ysbryd Games in September 2016. Witching Hour took pains to do away with as many RPG staples as possible. Masquerada doesn't bother with character levels, gold, ability scores, damage types, or inventory management. Your party only gets five members in all, and an average playthrough should take twelve hours at most. There's little exploration and no backtracking. There's scarcely any side content--many things that would be optional in another RPG, like party members' personal stories, are integrated into the main plot. Sometimes Masquerada can feel a little too simple but for the most part all this fat-trimming is of immense benefit, offering both gameplay and narrative that are tightly designed and well-paced with almost nothing that feels like it might have been better left out. Masquerada even manages to prove that real-time-with-pause combat does not have to suck.

The setting is just as unique, taking more cues from Alexandre Dumas than J.R.R. Tolkien. Citte della Ombre is a city-state where neighborhoods are prizes for the guilds to fight over, a good day means only getting figuratively stabbed in the back, and the haves separate themselves from the have-nots by use of Moskareens Mascherines: relics of a lost civilization that grant their wearers power over the elements. Life is cheap and it's only common sense to exploit and manipulate everyone around you. Despite all this Masquerada's story is only occasionally steeped in edgy grimdark, focusing instead on strangers learning to trust in one another and finding hope for a better life amidst all the schemes and schisms.

All in all I think this game's fantastic. I've played lots of great games this past year but Masquerada: Songs and Shadows was still one of my favorites.

Prologue

Fencing and masks and intrigue? I'm in! Ive never heard of this game before.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gently caress gently caress darn why didn't I call the thread "Masks of the Betrayers"

it's like I'm not even trying

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

When you want to find out if an entire city still hates you, it's best to just send a letter.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 25, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You start getting all your actual game stuff here so there's a lot to unpack...and hopefully a little more to talk about.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This is a very interesting start, for certain. I like how it pulls in a lot of different threads, the political, the mystical, the personal, to create a lot of places for players to hook their interest onto.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is a good game, though I remember my Cicero was a firebrand. Looking forward to seeing the other skill trees!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Think you're man enough for a trip...to the library???

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Y'know, this LP made me realize I've had this sitting in my library for more than a year... and get hooked on it. So you just lost a viewer.

No worries, I just need to get ahead.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
This game looks pretty neat, it's definitely a very cool setting, though the sea of Italianish Proper Nouns for every single possible thing gets a little exhausting after a while.

I'm surprised how cordial Cicero is with Lucia given she killed his brother.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Does he know that?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
A very intriguing setting, but all that unique names and vocabulary are getting hard to keep track of.

You mentioned you would get all xp twice for replaying parts for the lp. Does this game scale in some way to keep you challenged or does it really matter how many combat abilites you can unlock?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

So you just lost a viewer.

my views :negative:

what if I added a face cam

ultrafilter posted:

Does he know that?

Come to think of it, I don't actually remember. I have to think if Cicero knew that for a fact he definitely would not speak to her...like, at all.

OutofSight posted:

You mentioned you would get all xp twice for replaying parts for the lp. Does this game scale in some way to keep you challenged or does it really matter how many combat abilites you can unlock?

You don't get extra skill points on replays, you just keep whichever ones you've been given--along with any collectibles you've already collected.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

my views :negative:

what if I added a face cam
Only if you wear a Mascherine.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is a cool game and the voice acting so far is pretty good.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

This is a cool game and the voice acting so far is pretty good.
I looked up the VA list and was surprised to find that it's pretty much all notables. How did this game not get more press?

The first thing this reminded me of wasn't Dumas, but rather the Gentleman Bastards novels which I've actually read. (I'd been told that Dumas could get long-winded.) But I figure that part of Scott Lynch's bibliography includes that 19th-century canon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Can't fool me with you stupid mask, Brekken. Go hug a tree, you dumb D&D druid.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OutofSight posted:

Go hug a tree, you dumb D&D druid.

What consenting adults choose to do in the privacy of their own homes is none of your business.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Cicero Strikes Out yet again.
And this time it's his own fault!

Although Amadea is probably going to regret this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I see you, Mean Girls reference. Don't think I didn't notice you.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
This is the point this game really grabbed me, and lead me to finish it in only a few sessions. I can only echo the recommendation to listen to videos for the cutscenes, the voice acting is outstanding and really helps to sell most of the scenes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 13, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I'm trying to see if I can place any of the VAs:

Cicero is Matthew Mercer
Vasco is Robbie Daymond
Ven is Yuri Lowenthal(?)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

All correct.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, this has all been some pretty great stuff. Tactics! Elements! Boss fights! Total fuckin' bastards! Thanks so much for getting this out there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:smith:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Okay, I'm trying to see if I can place any of the VAs:

Cicero is Matthew Mercer
Vasco is Robbie Daymond
Ven is Yuri Lowenthal(?)
It's a minor character but there was one really distinctive one: Tristan is Crispin Freeman.

Also there's a very recognizable Jennifer Hale but she's in everything.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Poor poor Kalden, making the best of a lovely situation.

I really liked how cicero reacts to these revelations, continuing the theme of him desperately trying to be a better man than he used to be by helping people around him instead of abandoning them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some of the other main voices:

Kalden - Rick Wasserman
Tiziana - Michelle Lukes
Amadea - Cat Taber
Ricardo - Michael Sinterniklaas
Alena - Fryda Wolffe

Michael Csurics was the voice director for Masquerada. Big props to him.

hiding place
Jun 11, 2012
Probably a good thing Kalden wasn't there to see his leader's hot take. Really enjoying the lp and ended up buying the game to try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
This game is so good. I need to grab it.