Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win?
Yotsuba
Yotsuba
Miku
Miku
Yotsuba
View Results

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Are you looking for a harem romcom with a decent amount of drama and surprisingly little fanservice? Do you really really like redheads? Well then do I have the series for you. 5-Toubun no Hanayome (lit. The Five-Part Bride), localised as The Quintessential Quintuplets, is the story of Fuutarou Uesugi, a smart and egotistical student whose monetary issues seems endless. He gets roped into a high-paying job tutoring a group of quintuplet sisters who are all on the brink of failing but barely want to talk to him. Hijinks ensue.

5toubun is a weekly manga series that is getting an anime adaptation in Winter 2019 done by Tezuka Productions. It'll probably be 12 episodes or so, which sadly means that we'll be missing some of the better parts of the manga. Who knows though, I might be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jztafjdMHo8

Dramatis personae:

Fuutarou Uesugi
Our MC. Cheap as hell, mostly thinks about saving money, making money and studying.

Ichika Nakano
The first sister. Generally very sleepy. Massive tease. Actress. Absolute snek. Voiced by KanaHana

Nino Nakano
The second sister. Tsundere as gently caress. Good chef and baker. Aggro as hell.

Miku Nakano
The third sister. Shy girl. Likes Japanese history and Fuutarou. Our queen.

Yotsuba Nakano
The fourth sister. Genki girl, can't say no to helping people out. Terrible at English. Secretly the best. A warm cinnamon bun of suffering.

EatItsuki Nakano
The fifth sister. First one to run into Fuutarou. Eats a lot, but it tones down over the series.

Raiha Uesugi
The only voice of reason in Fuutarou's family. Your average cute kid.

Few simple thread rules:
1)

You can pledge your allegiances all you want. Just don't get too weird about it. Yes, it's a harem romcom with cute girls. Keep it in your pants.

2) Keep manga spoilers marked! I don't mind manga discussion, but with an anime just around the corner please be mindful. Keep all spoilers marked if they're manga or anime as well!

Now, draw up your battle lines for Winter 2019's edition of waifu wars.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Poll only includes 2 of the girls so this thread gets rated a 2/5 :troll:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Anyways I voted for smol Yotsuba

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:same:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Why do they keep getting colored with different color hair that is not how identical quintuplets work and they routinely imitate each other but if they have different color hair how could that possibly work and

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Why do they keep getting colored with different color hair that is not how identical quintuplets work and they routinely imitate each other but if they have different color hair how could that possibly work and

I think the generally accepted answer is that it's just for the reader's benefit/aesthetic sensibilities and isn't actually canon.

Absum
May 28, 2013

dark horse candidate:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is a story that is pretty much exactly what you think it is but I think the characters are charming enough and it's not nearly as sleazy as some other "poor guy teaches some silly girls" romcoms I could think of.

Also it's Miku let's not gently caress around here.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i was on team ichika at first but nino is an unstoppable force of nature.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rereading the manga whilst trawling for good character faces made me warm up to Yotsuba more.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I will watch this and maximise my creepiness

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Your av is so close to being appropriate

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Namtab posted:

I will watch this and maximise my creepiness

Thou shalt not lewd the good girl Yotsuba.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ibblebibble posted:

Thou shalt not lewd the good girl Yotsuba.

Thou shalt not choose girls other than Miku. :colbert:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New full-sized PV out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCwfEB6PbFk

Looks pretty colourful at the very least, which is a welcome change from what I've been watching lately.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Manga chapter 67. Miku train going strong.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ibblebibble posted:

Manga chapter 67. Miku train going strong.

:3: That was really sweet. Slight chapter spoiler I'm glad he wasn't just able to know. He's still learning individual quirks and nailing it down to 2 is a good progress without seeming unbelievable.

I think I'd like to see it start working towards the future scenes soon. Say 2 volumes?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is it normal for me to see Fuutaro's dad as a dead beat Ichigo?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Dramatis personae:

Fuutarou Uesugi
Our MC. Cheap as hell, mostly thinks about saving money, making money and studying.
Haven't actually read much of this, so I think I'm gonna stick with the anime for now, but these two images of Fuutarou made for an interesting callback to a certain super negative teacher.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Manga chapter 68. Oh cool, finally, a kiss. But who could it beeeeeeee~~

Anime confirmed to be on Crunchy btw. Should be airing on Friday JP time.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Man, the "scientific" analysis going on in the comments is amazing. People are writing PhD theses on which girl wins.

My own crackpot theory (since apparently everybody has to have one) is based on the observation that all the girls have their own stylistic and personality quirks but only one has a verbal one. So the Big Reveal will come when the bride turns to Fuutarou, cracks a big toothy grin, and laughs: "Shishishishi."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mirage posted:

Man, the "scientific" analysis going on in the comments is amazing. People are writing PhD theses on which girl wins.

My own crackpot theory (since apparently everybody has to have one) is based on the observation that all the girls have their own stylistic and personality quirks but only one has a verbal one. So the Big Reveal will come when the bride turns to Fuutarou, cracks a big toothy grin, and laughs: "Shishishishi."

She did say she'd do anything for a little sister like Raiha.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Someone pointed out that the Bride and Ichika are wearing the same earrings in this chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mirage posted:

The epilogue shows a 90 year old Fuutarou standing next to his dying wife, who reveals on her deathbed that, for their entire marriage, she was actually a different sister than the one he thought she was.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ytlaya posted:

The epilogue shows a 90 year old Fuutarou standing next to his dying wife, who reveals on her deathbed that, for their entire marriage, she was actually a different sister than the one he thought she was.

All five are on a rotation shift.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Julias posted:

The Prestige, but as a harem romcom? I dig it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Not knowing anything about the manga, Yotsuba is definitely the best but tragically Itsuki is the love interest.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sindai posted:

Not knowing anything about the manga, Yotsuba is definitely the best but tragically Itsuki is the love interest.

Tutor Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Baka

edit: realized weeks later i can't fuckin' spell

Agronox fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 28, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

VA work was pretty good IMO. Fuutarou's VA is a real standout. Animation isn't super great as I expected from the PVs, but it had some moments that got a good laugh out of me despite me having read the source twice over by now.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Julias posted:

With the show hiding the voice of the bride, it should just change each episode for fun.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Irritated Goat posted:

With the show hiding the voice of the bride, it should just change each episode for fun.

Eyes and hair color looked more like Miku than like her sisters, but that may just be wishful thinking.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Julias posted:

So basically the ending of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In my opinion everyone except for Nino is lame. Some characters like Ichika used to be okay but then became lame. Nino managed to start lame and then become not lame. Miku is probably the lamest.

I don't really know what to make of Itsuki. She's just kind of boring, though not as boring as Miku or Yotsuba.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

In my opinion everyone except for Nino is lame. Some characters like Ichika used to be okay but then became lame. Nino managed to start lame and then become not lame. Miku is probably the lamest.

I don't really know what to make of Itsuki. She's just kind of boring, though not as boring as Miku or Yotsuba.

do you have any other posts from Opposite World to share with us

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RatHat posted:

So basically the ending of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei?

Fitting, considering

Wark Say posted:

Haven't actually read much of this, so I think I'm gonna stick with the anime for now, but these two images of Fuutarou made for an interesting callback to a certain super negative teacher.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I now side with yotsuba

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this better or worse than We Can't Study? I can't pass judgement on watching until I know. (busy schedule)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bokuben has more focus on the ecchi, 5toubun has more focus on the drama.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Is this better or worse than We Can't Study? I can't pass judgement on watching until I know. (busy schedule)

I prefer We Can't Study because its humor and faces are better than Gotoubun. I also like the cast more (Gotoubun doesn't have anyone as good as Fumino or Asumi).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's miku, the best girl is miku.