Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jose posted:

Venom was probably the best superhero film I've seen

Venom is completely carried by the two main performances and that one engineer at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jenny Agutter posted:

Venom is completely carried by the two main performances and that one engineer at the end

I agree with this but it was surprisingly enjoyable

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jose posted:

I agree with this but it was surprisingly enjoyable

Oh don't get me wrong, it's great.

Hell or High Water was an excellent neo western, bunch of great side characters including a truly execrable bank loan officer

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, it's great.

Hell or High Water was an excellent neo western, bunch of great side characters including a truly execrable bank loan officer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

also I watched hell or high water a couple of days ago and it was pretty good, but some of the editing felt kind of sloppy. hard to tell in those situations whether it's the editor or the dp/director at fault

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Maniac (miniseries) was trying very hard to be quirky and weird

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fiddler on the roof was one of the better musical adaptations I've seen but I'd still rather have seen it on the stage

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Her is not a good movie to watch when you're in a long distance relationship. gently caress. But it was a great watch nonetheless

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The cat in Keanu is v cute and it's a funny film

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

san andreas was kinda boring but it had alexandra daddario and carla gugino so 10/10

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Black Panther was bad. It had the opportunity to be the only superhero movie with decent politics but totally whiffed it in like a dozen ways. The performances were good but otherwise it was just a boilerplate forgettable superhero movie. It being nominated for best picture seems like it was just on the basis of the only good thing about the movie (representation)

Edit - As a pallete cleanser I watched Killing of a Sacred Deer which was riveting and probably Colin Farrell's best dramatic performance

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 14, 2019

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Apollo 11 was fantastic. Even made my pessimistic soul feel a bit patriotic near the end. Also the music reminded me of Music Effect 1's soundtrack

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

Music Effect 1

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

unsurprisingly captain marvell was bad. surprisingly I didn't hate brie larson's performance, although the material she has to work with does everything in its power to make you dislike her

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the beach bum is a stoner comedy with the emphasis on "stoner." watch it high or not at all. unfortunately I watched it sober and now I'm angry I wasted my Friday night

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Woman at war was cool. I thought the gimmick was going to annoy me but it ended up being pretty charming. Worth seeing just for the Icelandic scenery.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Avengers endgame was fun enough. I knew watching the other 26 mostly-slogfests would be worth it some day

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Aquaman was dumb as dogshit but much like Valerian the ridiculously overproduced sci fi parts were great

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Booksmart was great and even though it basically bills itself as a female superbad it does a lot of things differently that i appreciated

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

The Perfection: What a twist!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Telebite posted:

The Perfection: What a twist!

oh yeah it really surprised me when all the pieces popped out

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Detective Pikachu... hell I don't know why I saw this. I'll watch anything I guess, even crap from an rear end.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kung Fu hustle. It kicks rear end!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I watched Mandy last night and :stare:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

It's real good. Nic cage is so great

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dunno if this counts, but Chernobyl was very very good.

Matt Zerella posted:

I need to watch this as well.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The men who stare at goats was kind of an odd one. I didn't realize how much of the story was contemporary and I don't really go in for that sort of glib white guy adventurism, like loving three kings had a deeper exploration of the trauma visited on iraq by us invasion. Maybe it's impossible to even make three kings in post 9/11 America though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Detective Pikachu... hell I don't know why I saw this. I'll watch anything I guess, even crap from an rear end.

I can tell from your posting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I watched a movie yesterday can I post.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

In Training posted:

If I watched a movie yesterday can I post.

Okay but just this once.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Okay but just this once.

Thank you. I watched The Great Chase, which was supposed about a badass racing chick who fights crime but theres no car racing of any kind after the stock footage over the opening credits, instead she spends most of her time putting on outfits to hoodwink heroin dealers and kill them with kungfu kicks. it also starred a female pro wrestler as herself and her intro scene was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyBFdZMIJA

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Booksmart was lovely, I think Olivia Wilde has some decent directing chops. Always good to see a movie where high schoolers swear constantly

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Last Black Man in San Francisco felt a bit long but overall it was great. Funnier than I expected, too.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Finally got around to seeing Miami vice and the first sound in the film is the opening bars to Linkin Park x Jay Z numb/encore, a promise that the rest of the movie completely lives up to

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hobbs and Shaw:
The Fastchise has been turned into a harem anime starring The Rock and I'm 100% on board.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

an incoherent mess but also very fun to watch. 4/5

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
also the climax made me feel pretty uncomfortable. which I guess was probably the point. but still, drat

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Rolling Thunder Revue

Scorsese's documentaries are some of his best work and so is this. No Direction Home and this capture Dylan's best creative output and his best live performances. It's real good

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Detective Pikachu

So it turns out the secret to making good video game movies is to have them be made by people who actually care about the games they are adapting and not weird German men who are using the production to exploit a loophole in Germany's tax law.

It also showed a surprising amount of restraint. All the mysteries in the movie were solved in the runtime and there was no set up for a sequel shown at all. Not even a post credits scene. Quite rare these days.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 10, 2019

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The angry birds movie. They do indeed drink piss. Sony animation does incredible work it's just a shame their scripts suck 90% of the time. Should offer Lord & Miller control over the entire studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Don't Look Now was pretty cool. In Bruges took a lot from it so I was kind of riffing and made a joke that actually turned out to be the ending.

edit: nobody laughed at my riffing