Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

What did she do?

Goodbye, Dragon Inn Tsing Ming-Liang
The two characters walking around the theatre reminded me of running around the back areas and off limit parts of the church when I was a kid. Other than that and the beauty of seeing such an old building I wasn't all that taken with the film. Striving and Yearning are interelated emotions but the gulf between them is vast indeed, I myself am a striver and so seeing an entire film about people failing to connect and awkwardly pining does not do it for me. That bun was huge though

This movie reminded me that my line for slow cinema is right around Apichatpong Weerasethakul, with Edward Yang and Kelly Reichart being the sweet spot. Goodbye Dragon Inn is below the line. That said, it has gorgeous moments, and I want to revisit it after actually watching Dragon Inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Child's Play 3 (1991)
So from what I understand, this is Don Mancini's and Brad Dourif's least favorite of the Chucky films, but I kinda dug this one. I get that it was rushed and there are definitely some things about this movie that are entirely there for the sake of the plot. Like why is there a random 8 year old at a military academy? Why is there a theme park like a mile away? Who cares. Chucky rules.

Seraphim Falls (2006)
Pretty solid little revenge western. Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson do a pretty good job here, especially Brosnan. Some good supporting characters too, like Michael Wincott's. Nothing revolutionary here, but worth your time.

Wrath of Man (2021)
A decent enough action movie, but it's loving dour. I didn't know anything about this one, but I was expecting something goofier from Ritchie/Statham. Not bad or anything, I'm just not sure it played to any of their strengths.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prisoners Denis Villeneuve
This is the exact tone and tempo I wished Zodiac had and that film only really managed to capture in the basement scene and in the initial killings. Highly recommended if you want a very bleak thriller that pulls no punches and isn't afraid to make you question how far you'd go to rescue your child.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Safety Factor posted:

Wrath of Man (2021)
A decent enough action movie, but it's loving dour. I didn't know anything about this one, but I was expecting something goofier from Ritchie/Statham. Not bad or anything, I'm just not sure it played to any of their strengths.

WoM had some surprisingly great one-take sequences, an impossibly attractive Niamh Algar (probably best known on SA for Raised by Wolves) and Josh Hartnett playing a loser sleazebag. Huge fan of all those...but you're right, it is a goddamn dour movie. Feels like Guy Richie was in a bad mood for the whole thing.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

This is the exact tone and tempo I wished Zodiac had and that film only really managed to capture in the basement scene and in the initial killings. Highly recommended if you want a very bleak thriller that pulls no punches and isn't afraid to make you question how far you'd go to rescue your child.
I've seen this film at least 3 times and always really liked it, but every time it comes up I'm completely at a loss to remember anything that happens in it at all

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Fast X aka Fast and Furious 10 (2023) - The worst one of the franchise, but still not as bad a 1-9. Momoa knew exactly what kind of movie he was in and at least looked like he was having a good time. VD has never been good in anything but this is his career nadir. Just absolutely phoning it in for this one.

Late Night With the Devil (2024) - Man, what a disappointment. First, on a positive note, the set design and costuming was pretty good. Now for the negatives. When movies fake recordings of live broadcasts, they always fail for one reason: the acting always feels rehearsed and not at all naturalistic. This doesn't seem to bother other people I've mentioned this to, but it's a big annoyance for me. The special effects were pretty terrible. I realize this was low budget but the movie had like 7 or 8 production companies attached to it and the special effects looked worse than poo poo people do for fun in Blender on YouTube. The ending was incredibly stupid and telegraphed. Just laughably bad storytelling. Finally they really did James Randi dirty.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mad Max - man what a bunch of delirious chaos. Even when I can understand everything everyone is saying none of it makes sense. Nightrider just constantly shrieking his self-aggrandizing monologue for what seems like an hour without ever letting the adrenaline drip stop flowing apparently. The bike gang just casually climbing all over the walls and doing handstands in the background and ballroom dancing with each other, I just have to wonder how much was intentional and how much was just "everybody just act insane constantly and we'll shoot what we can till the cops show up. Go see Larry in craft services if you're short on cocaine"

Miller bit off a little more than he could chew at the time by trying to make a bunch of guys on motorcycles seem like a credible physical threat against such adversaries as "a giant supercharged V8 musclecar" and "a guy with a shotgun and unlimited ammo" when in reality they'd struggle to stay upright against "a 2x4 in the road"

Mostly what I think this franchise has in spades—and maybe it's its whole appeal ultimately—is the utter incoherence and absence of worldbuilding and backstory. poo poo is just dire for unknown reasons and you're not supposed to think about it. Is this a post-apocalyptic wasteland because of oil shortages? If so then why is there just a casual fuel tanker tooling around and unprotected against the rampaging fuel hordes? Why is there a construction crew hauling a Caterpillar grader up a steep hill as though infrastructure is getting built somewhere nearby? Why are there still carefree bucolic suburban homes and ice cream stands and classic-car hobbyists with cool paint jobs and mechanics to work on them when you have these rape gangs just looting the countryside? How is there a legal system with space for trenchant Dirty Harry commentary about evil crooked lawyers springing obviously guilty bad guys from prison because of :airquote: due process :airquote: when the police station is a bombed-out ruin with two guys doggedly manning the phones? It's all just so wild and ridiculous. And that's probably why it got so popular, it makes you feel like it knows something you don't. You can watch it totally brainlessly and enjoy the smash-ups, or you can try to churn through it cerebrally and you'll get nowhere but feel like there's something just out of reach.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 21, 2024

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I agree with you that Mad Max is one of those series where the environment is not just bleak but irrevocably bleak - there is no going back and no fixing things - because that's what is necessary to make the story work. I find it pretty impressive that Miller has resisted the urge and/or pressure from executives and fans to start filling in the blanks, especially in the current media landscape where every IP has to be a "universe" with every moment of every storyline mined to death for content.

Obviously Furiosa is a bit of an exception but it seems like Miller is interested more in exploring that one specific character rather than explaining how the world got the way it is.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My favorite explanation for the first mad max is it was just set in present day Australia and that's how people live there in reality.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sorcerer (1977) Stressful. Really brilliantly made and paced, with the story told almost entirely through action. Going to check out more Friedkin!

Galaxy Quest (1999) Not a big Star Trek or parody fan but this was both better than it should be and better than most (all?) of the source material.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Data Graham posted:

Mad Max - man what a bunch of delirious chaos. Even when I can understand everything everyone is saying none of it makes sense. Nightrider just constantly shrieking his self-aggrandizing monologue for what seems like an hour without ever letting the adrenaline drip stop flowing apparently. The bike gang just casually climbing all over the walls and doing handstands in the background and ballroom dancing with each other, I just have to wonder how much was intentional and how much was just "everybody just act insane constantly and we'll shoot what we can till the cops show up. Go see Larry in craft services if you're short on cocaine"

Miller bit off a little more than he could chew at the time by trying to make a bunch of guys on motorcycles seem like a credible physical threat against such adversaries as "a giant supercharged V8 musclecar" and "a guy with a shotgun and unlimited ammo" when in reality they'd struggle to stay upright against "a 2x4 in the road"

Mostly what I think this franchise has in spades—and maybe it's its whole appeal ultimately—is the utter incoherence and absence of worldbuilding and backstory. poo poo is just dire for unknown reasons and you're not supposed to think about it. Is this a post-apocalyptic wasteland because of oil shortages? If so then why is there just a casual fuel tanker tooling around and unprotected against the rampaging fuel hordes? Why is there a construction crew hauling a Caterpillar grader up a steep hill as though infrastructure is getting built somewhere nearby? Why are there still carefree bucolic suburban homes and ice cream stands and classic-car hobbyists with cool paint jobs and mechanics to work on them when you have these rape gangs just looting the countryside? How is there a legal system with space for trenchant Dirty Harry commentary about evil crooked lawyers springing obviously guilty bad guys from prison because of :airquote: due process :airquote: when the police station is a bombed-out ruin with two guys doggedly manning the phones? It's all just so wild and ridiculous. And that's probably why it got so popular, it makes you feel like it knows something you don't. You can watch it totally brainlessly and enjoy the smash-ups, or you can try to churn through it cerebrally and you'll get nowhere but feel like there's something just out of reach.

The idea, I think, is Mad Max takes during the collapse, and we are seeing it from the perspective of somewhere on the edge of civilization.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Barry Lyndon (1975) - really a fantastic experience if purely from a visual spectacle standpoint. The long pull-out zoom shots from a telephoto tableau to a calendar-art still-frame landscape establishing shot just kept coming and I found myself feeling giddy when I sensed another one coming on. Also the first half is unexpectedly hilarious in that detached deadpan 70s narration kind of way, and it's very disarming how it sets you up to be on Barry's side throughout the whole first half only to turn you firmly against him in the second.

I knew to be watching for scenes set up like Hogarth paintings, and some jumped out as obvious, but the one that smacked me over the head that I haven't been able to find in any videos discussing it is the scene right after the duel near the beginning where he's saying goodbye to his mother, in her bonnet and wrapped in drapery with natural light coming in from two separate sources. That scene looked like it ought to be hanging in a museum; looked kind of more "Dutch masters" than Hogarth (though I barely know my poo poo at all here). Also those gambling candlelight scenes caught me totally off-guard because I was trying so hard to figure out why they were so motionless—Lady Lyndon and Samuel are barely doing anything, they're just sitting there minutely fidgeting with their chips, and I was trying to figure out what extremely subtle gestures or body language they were using or what I was missing—but then it dawned on me that they apparently had to use a loving NASA lens in order to film it with just candlelight and they were just showing off for five minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQE73GDo4So

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 22, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

David D. Davidson posted:

The idea, I think, is Mad Max takes during the collapse, and we are seeing it from the perspective of somewhere on the edge of civilization.

Maybe but you know what it puts me in mind of? The girls dancing blithely around the maypole determined not to notice anything wrong as Sir Lancelot hacks and slays his way through the castle

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I always liked that about the first Mad Max; it's during the fall; every year there's less resources, less infrastructure, less centralized authority and more and more organized crime that's transforming before your eyes into warlordism. But it hasn't yet devolved into an eternal purge and there persists a society we'd all recognize, it's just both shrinking on the edges and being wormed with holes throughout and to a degree the people living through it are half seeing an afterimage of something they don't yet realize is gone.

Like, I know The Roman Empire didn't really "fall to barbarians", but even in the sense that it did, the people living through it didn't say "and now I wake up to a morning without Rome", and not enough "post apocalypse" movies show you that transition. Even in The Road, there's a very brief before and then an impossibly distant after.

Edit - Parable of the Sower is a decent novel that captures the same feeling. You could also just imagine that things don't even improve after Robocop.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I watched American Beauty (1999). Its good.

I was very afraid (and very curious) to watch this because the plot sounded "uncomfortable" to say the least, and I thought it was weird that it was a movie that won best picture that no one wants to talk about ever again, even before Kevin Spacey got cancelled.

My first thoughts upon starting it were that it was going to impossible for me to judge this movie fairly, because the cinematography was so drat good and the dialogue manages to feel realistic while being way more emotionally raw and witty than we are in real life. It's polished as hell, and based on that alone I can see why it won best picture.

When I first finished it I felt very upset despite being entertained throughout the whole thing. I wanted to find the writer of it, grab him by the collar and have him explain these characters to me, especially Lester. I looked for interviews with him about the movie, but didn't get an answer that satisfied me at all. I've now had a little time to make my peace with this, and I take it as a sign that it is good art.

One thing I really didn't like about this movie was how uncomfortable it made my girlfriend, because her and many women she knows have had to deal with dad's like Lester. I feel bad for watching this movie and I think the difficulty/uncomfortableness of it shouldn't be taken lightly. I'll never recommend it to anyone.

8.8/10

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

American Beauty never recovered from the Family Guy scene mocking it
https://youtu.be/OX1-G69WLzo?si=KRJ1qtAcqgOZq86-

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Like, I know The Roman Empire didn't really "fall to barbarians", but even in the sense that it did, the people living through it didn't say "and now I wake up to a morning without Rome", and not enough "post apocalypse" movies show you that transition. Even in The Road, there's a very brief before and then an impossibly distant after.

Plus we've gotten 100 zombie shows over the past decade, and as far as I know none of them have managed to show it either.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Thomas Crown Affair: This movie is a lot of fun. It's got art heists, hot sex, and maybe Pierce and Renee Russo at their best. The final heist in a particular is a lot of fun (and that of course is where Sinnerman breaks out in full). Sinnerman just improves every film it is in and always adds such style to scenes. It's rich people problems, but the charm sells it.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Data Graham posted:

Barry Lyndon (1975) - really a fantastic experience if purely from a visual spectacle standpoint. The long pull-out zoom shots from a telephoto tableau to a calendar-art still-frame landscape establishing shot just kept coming and I found myself feeling giddy when I sensed another one coming on. Also the first half is unexpectedly hilarious in that detached deadpan 70s narration kind of way, and it's very disarming how it sets you up to be on Barry's side throughout the whole first half only to turn you firmly against him in the second.

I knew to be watching for scenes set up like Hogarth paintings, and some jumped out as obvious, but the one that smacked me over the head that I haven't been able to find in any videos discussing it is the scene right after the duel near the beginning where he's saying goodbye to his mother, in her bonnet and wrapped in drapery with natural light coming in from two separate sources. That scene looked like it ought to be hanging in a museum; looked kind of more "Dutch masters" than Hogarth (though I barely know my poo poo at all here). Also those gambling candlelight scenes caught me totally off-guard because I was trying so hard to figure out why they were so motionless—Lady Lyndon and Samuel are barely doing anything, they're just sitting there minutely fidgeting with their chips, and I was trying to figure out what extremely subtle gestures or body language they were using or what I was missing—but then it dawned on me that they apparently had to use a loving NASA lens in order to film it with just candlelight and they were just showing off for five minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQE73GDo4So

It's always nice to see someone correctly appreciating Barry Lyndon. You'd be surprised how often people overlook how explicitly comedic it is.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Data Graham posted:

Maybe but you know what it puts me in mind of? The girls dancing blithely around the maypole determined not to notice anything wrong as Sir Lancelot hacks and slays his way through the castle

I can't believe people could be oblivious during a social collapse what an unbelievable concept

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pigma_Micron posted:

It's always nice to see someone correctly appreciating Barry Lyndon. You'd be surprised how often people overlook how explicitly comedic it is.

Ending his story on a freeze-frame as he steps into the carriage, like a Last Known Whereabouts photo, like Robert Stack is about to step out and say "if you have any information, please call 1-800-876-5353", I just about lost it

Also the first half, the way he keeps falling bass-ackwards into one adventure after another, put me in mind of it being a sort of proto-Forrest-Gump.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Night and the City: What a weird movie, I wasn't expecting wrestling to play such a large part of this film noir. It was fine, Gene Tierney disappears for most of the movie, and doesn't play a huge role. Richard Widmark's character is interesting, they really set it up where he is chasing all these cons and when he finally does have something, no one will listen to him, but it's not even really hubris that brings him down, but other people acting independently. The ending is muddled. It looks pretty stunning, but overall isn't great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderman 2 Sam Raimi
The only film I've seen that had an applause when it ended. Literally a perfect film. Perfect encapsulation of everything that's great about Spiderman and films in one package. MJ looks much better without the fully saturated red hair.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Love Lies Bleeding (2024): Huh, I really wanted to enjoy this more than I did. I think I liked the first half more than the 2nd. The vibes are great, the griminess is great, very cool setting and atmosphere etc.

I think the main thing that put me off was as Jackie does more steroids there’s this weird way they film her body like it’s monstrous (with stretching/growing sound effects), and then that bit at the end where she hulks out and becomes a beautiful glistening giant woman? The presentation of her body kinda crossed over from feeling erotic (cool and good) to fetishized (weird and bad)?

I was very worried that cat wasn’t gonna make it to the end of the film.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Last Remake of Beau Geste : Marty Feldman directing a slapstick "Airplane!" style takedown of a Gary Cooper foreign-adventure-romance flick ("Beau Geste," natch) and throwing all the gags he can at it. Even includes a Harold Lloyd-style silent movie section where the hapless Digby (played by Marty himself) is trying to escape prison and all the guards are helping him do so. Ann-Margaret doing her sultry best, a real shocker of a turn by James Earl Jones, a whos-who of comedic and character actors and just a goofy as hell movie that for some reason didn't stick in the brains of people like "Airplane!" did even though it has some of the same Looney Tunes energy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hardcore Paul Schrader
She was better off with the snuff producer than with a calvinist. Scott becoming a porn stached seedy lad is even funnier than Cage becoming a leather daddy. It's unfortunate that even more than Blue Collar that the film suffers from Schraders more workman like abilities as a director compared to Scorsese. Just compare the incredible final action scene in Taxi Driver to the rather limp climax of Hardcore. The film does make up for it in being just as deep intellectually as his other great scripts and has a very good performance from Scott. Up there with Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights for best older actor acting in a young hotshot writer director's film about the porn industry and not really understanding the film they're in.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Son of the White Mare (1981): gently caress’n dope as hell. Psychedelic Hungarian animated film about a folktale. It’s a bit surreal and abstracted but once stuff is happening it’s really pretty cool and fun. The imagery is gorgeous.

I wish I could see this on the big screen (with maybe some substances). Anyway you can watch the whole thing here.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Gaius Marius posted:

Up there with Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights for best older actor acting in a young hotshot writer director's film about the porn industry and not really understanding the film they're in.
Are you trying to say that Burt Reynolds was anything but perfect in Boogie Nights? Just the worst take if so.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Watched Come and See (1985) yesterday for the first time. Eugh.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Had a really fun double feature last night.

The War Of The Roses - Danny Devito was such an interesting director. There's this fascinating combination of childlike whimsy and obvious Hitchcock techniques in all his films, and it's great to see that particular latter thing used to its fullest effect in this movie. I really wish he still directed; he has such a unique eye. I know this movie was once big enough to become a German colloquialism and I knew this was raved about upon release but it feels like it's become something of a hidden gem. I have some issues with the movie - mostly I feel the wraparound story (while fantastically-acted by Danny) was a bit cheap and lessened the awesome impact of the story's conclusion by dragging on too long - but wow, it's a lovely grim little fable, huh?

The Grand Budapest Hotel - While Fantastic Mr. Fox is still my favorite Wes Anderson film (and The Life Aquatic was my first and is a movie I think about so much more than my overall opinion of it would dictate) this was a strong contender for second place. The performances were immense, the action funny and energetic - the musical scene on the ski lift made my jaw drop - and the story so pulpy and whimsical that it wouldn't be out of place in a Lupin III movie. Hell, get Wes to direct that next. It had a real cohesiveness to it that I really clicked with, and some wickedly funny bits on top of it. My only complaint is that certain emotional payoffs to things set up early in the story didn't really hit like I thought they would, but the last scene of the story was great, and this movie did the wraparound well. Lots of fun!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The War Of The Roses - Danny Devito was such an interesting director. There's this fascinating combination of childlike whimsy and obvious Hitchcock techniques in all his films, and it's great to see that particular latter thing used to its fullest effect in this movie. I really wish he still directed; he has such a unique eye. I know this movie was once big enough to become a German colloquialism and I knew this was raved about upon release but it feels like it's become something of a hidden gem. I have some issues with the movie - mostly I feel the wraparound story (while fantastically-acted by Danny) was a bit cheap and lessened the awesome impact of the story's conclusion by dragging on too long - but wow, it's a lovely grim little fable, huh?

I have to go back and watch this one again because I remember it being the best of the "dark comedy about a marriage falling apart" films from the eighties.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Beekeeper (2024)
After watching Wrath of Man I wanted something goofier and remembered hearing good things about this. It wasn't particularly great, but it definitely delivered on that. It's yet another John Wick clone, but with a lot of bee references. Statham is the only one that talks about bees, but he does it a lot. The movie escalates to a ridiculous degree, but it doesn't feel earned if that makes sense. That said, it was fun to see crypto/NFT/scammer guys as the villains.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
This was great. I like small scale, contained horror films like this. No larger stakes, just something going horribly wrong for a few people. The actual autopsy isn't too gnarly or anything, it's not a gross-out film, and the actress deserves a lot of credit for playing dead like this.

HUNDREDS OF BEAVERS (2022? 2024?)
Really loved this one. It starts off with dumb Looney Tunes bullshit and just keeps going. There's so much creativity on display. I loving lost it at the end with the music used for the credits. Please see this one.

Reptile (2023)
I didn't know anything about this going in, but it's a nice slow burn cop drama. Benicio del Toro is great in this. There's not much else to say here as it's otherwise pretty standard.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Somehow never saw this movie or really the entire franchise. I get why it's a horror classic, but it's kind of funny seeing how much of a non-entity Freddy is in it. He doesn't get much characterization and even gets clowned on by some homemade traps in the finale. I understand he has more going on in the sequels so I'll at least check out 2 and 3.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 24, 2024

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Somehow never saw this movie or really the entire franchise. I get why it's a horror classic, but it's kind of funny seeing how much of a non-entity Freddy is in it. He doesn't get much characterization and even gets clowned on by some homemade traps in the finale. I understand he has more to going on in the sequels so I'll at least check out 2 and 3.
I just made my way through 1-5 and I was kind of shocked by how little of a character Freddy is in the series. 4 is probably him at his most iconic. Most of the backstory and lore as told in the series is nonsensical, and how Freddy is defeated in each movie is generally lame.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Gaius Marius posted:

interesting perspective. i'm a big fan of both of these movies but i think zodiac edges ahead by a bit. my least favorite parts of zodiac are actually the scenes during the murders; my favorite scenes are jake g obsessing over all the details of the cases and trying to piece everything together. i like the pacing in both movies, but it's a thought experiment i hadn't considered before if zodiac were paced more methodically like prisoners. both great, though.

Pigma_Micron posted:

i was so intimidated by the runtime of barry lyndon for years and years. i have seen and love everything else kubrick has done, but i was always worried i would try to watch lyndon and be disappointed. i finally pulled the trigger some time last year and was very pleasantly surprised at how much it clicked with me, and how funny it actually is. really great stuff.

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

Saw Goodbye, Dragon Inn discussed upthread and wanted to mention that last weekend I saw Dragon Inn (1967) and A Touch of Zen (1971) back to back, which made for an interesting double feature - Dragon Inn is very contained and action-focused whereas A Touch of Zen is a lot more contemplative (though with a lot of action as well) and also very broad, expanding thematically until the very last scene.

I loved both and now I want to revisit Goodbye, Dragon Inn, which I was also underwhelmed by even if I'm generally a fan of Tsai Ming-liang. (except for Stray Dogs, gently caress that movie)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Escape From LA - A rapturous and glorious "gently caress you" to sequels that are More Of The Same and to the American ideals of idol worship and how Christofascism prevents unity in crisis. Maybe it's not very "good" for most of the runtime (my partner called it R-rated Spy Kids, lovingly-so) but the bombastic fury Carpenter imbues every frame with makes it a delight. The basketball scene. The surfing & car chase. The ending. Oh my god, I was cackling. I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards. It is such a delight to compare and contrast this with Escape From NY on a purely metatextual level but it's so fun on its own merits as well.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Escape From LA - A rapturous and glorious "gently caress you" to sequels that are More Of The Same and to the American ideals of idol worship and how Christofascism prevents unity in crisis. Maybe it's not very "good" for most of the runtime (my partner called it R-rated Spy Kids, lovingly-so) but the bombastic fury Carpenter imbues every frame with makes it a delight. The basketball scene. The surfing & car chase. The ending. Oh my god, I was cackling. I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards. It is such a delight to compare and contrast this with Escape From NY on a purely metatextual level but it's so fun on its own merits as well.

Snake Plissken nuking all of human civilization and fading straight into Rob Zombie is one of the best endings in cinema.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I still think Snake pushing the button and the movie instantly cutting to black before rolling the credits would have been the best ending. Even if it spawned 347 'the ending of Escape From Los Angeles EXPLAINED!!!' videos.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Deal of the Century: Notable only as a bump in Friedkin's filmography; he apparently did this film as a pinch hitter when the original director was busy making Risky Business, and there's not a lot of his style here, though it's competently made at least. The international arms trade was and is a ripe subject for satire, but this feels less like everyone lost their nerve and more like they didn't have a strong take on it to start with- the script goes all over the place and it's the lack of focus on anything that really does it in. Of course the story being about an advanced fighter drone is at least prescient, and the sequence of it malfunctioning at a big press conference is probably the strongest part- you've got a team of engineers slamming on the air conditioning to stop an annoying hum and then taking the drat thing apart while they try to figure out what even happened, and it feels like the actual sort of poo poo that goes wrong with things like this. But the rest of the film veers from understated comedy to wacky goofy antics in a way that suggests nobody knew what to do. And of course, there's Chevy Chase, who I guess was trying to push at his limits a little but doesn't succeed; he's still Chevy, and his specific breed of glibness is close to but not quite what the part of an amoral arms dealer needs. Just a very odd little misfire- you wonder why the studio even bothered.

Freddy Got Fingered: I was expecting either a masterpiece of anti-comedy or the worst poo poo imaginable, and so... it's not really either. With some of the initial shock value blunted (there were some shots I turned away from but I have seen worse), it feels like Tom Green was poking at the bounds of the "idiot manchild annoys everyone" comedy subgenre and maybe trying to twist it to an extreme, but it doesn't quite get there. That or his stuff just naturally works better in the candid camera approach of his show rather than against scripted characters. Of course by this point it just looked to critics like the natural endpoint of an explosion of bad taste comedies- as with the 80s slasher boom they were just sick of this already. The cast is actually pretty good (not just Rip Torn and Julie Hagerty, but I also like Marisa Coughlan as Gord's rocket-and-BJ-obsessed girlfriend) and I was never actively bored, some bits even work as a weird twisted story of how being a creative person is frustrating, but it never quite comes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There Will Be Blood Paul Thomas Anderson
Undeniable. The great American film. There is an intensity to Daniel Day Lewis that is beyond any other working actor, there are scenes that look into his eyes and you can see the inferno burning inside his soul, nobody else has that. And then to couple that with the intensity of a fully mature PTA who has worked out all his frentic, coked up energy in his earlier work yet still has the same mastery and eye for cinema. What you get is a movie that is deliberate and yet bursting with passion and rage at every moment.

The Mummy Stephen Sommers
Rollicking. Seeing how good we had it back in the nineties made me drop the Uncharted movie another star on letterboxd. Fraser's penchant for blasting anything that moves makes him much more endearing than most adventure film protagonists. And my man John Hannah kills every scene he's in. I'm gonna have to go back and watch Spartacus again. There may have been one too many comedic characters but as a whole there are much worse ways to spend two hours.