Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gran Turismo: Neil Blomkamp ditching sci Fi for a racing film sounded like a bad idea but the results are pretty solid. Probably the best racing has looked since Days of Thunder. And, as the marketing was so keen to point out, it's based on a true story. Beyond that it's still a good sports movie, underdog cliches and all. Great drone shots in this, just some dazzling aerials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maxwell Lord posted:

Freddy Got Fingered: I was expecting either a masterpiece of anti-comedy or the worst poo poo imaginable, and so... it's not really either. With some of the initial shock value blunted (there were some shots I turned away from but I have seen worse), it feels like Tom Green was poking at the bounds of the "idiot manchild annoys everyone" comedy subgenre and maybe trying to twist it to an extreme, but it doesn't quite get there. That or his stuff just naturally works better in the candid camera approach of his show rather than against scripted characters. Of course by this point it just looked to critics like the natural endpoint of an explosion of bad taste comedies- as with the 80s slasher boom they were just sick of this already. The cast is actually pretty good (not just Rip Torn and Julie Hagerty, but I also like Marisa Coughlan as Gord's rocket-and-BJ-obsessed girlfriend) and I was never actively bored, some bits even work as a weird twisted story of how being a creative person is frustrating, but it never quite comes together.

The wildest and most unexpected thing about this movie to me was the LeBaron scene, since I was already familiar with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhpKcakUrYM

And I'm like, okay, I guess that explains that, but that just raises further questions!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Suzume: beautifully animated as always. It's a cute little high school girl story all about how our connections with other people makes the world work. Tragedy is overcome through community love. Everything with the chair is great. Also love the twins and their antics.
And yes there was another Radwimps song by the end finally.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Just saw Sanctuary (2022) after hearing a lot of good things about it. It didn't disappoint. I like movies that are mostly set in one room, with very few characters chewing on each other.

I would recommend a fun double feature with Good Luck To You Leo Grande (2022). Which one you watch first will determine the mood for the rest of your night in a fun way.

Both are movies about sex workers and their clients, set mostly in one room, but one is ultimately a very cozy and even heartwarming tale of finding your own sexuality, and one is a pretty ambigous dark tale of control and submission.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lethal Weapon - somehow I never saw this, and always mixed it up in my head with Training Day. Didn't realize it was this goofy and funny and fuckin' DARK. Gotta say, this right here is a nice use of a lens:

A little while ago I tossed out an off-the-cuff comparison of the racial dynamics in Pulp Fiction to stuff like In the Heat of the Night (where it's placed front and center) and, sight unseen, Lethal Weapon—where, as I was apparently only osmotically aware, it is carefully blended away and never brought up, except amusingly in that out-of-the-mouths-of-babes one-liner from the kid Alfred who says "momma says cops shoot black people". It's interesting that this movie does give me the time-capsule vibe that I sort of presumed it would, where Murtagh is an upscale family man in a tony suburb and Riggs is a crazy-eyed psycho living in a trailer and this is the Cosby Show world we were trying to will into existence in 1987. My theory was that this end-of-history elision of racism is what gave Tarantino what he thought was a free hand to start belting out slurs as a source of wacky comedy, as though they had no real power anymore, and that this is what led straight into Cartman screaming about Jews to the delight of a generation of high schoolers. I'm not sure how well this thru-line holds together with more data points but so far so good

I also wonder how much modern cop-worship (in media and otherwise) can trace back to this movie and its climax where the whole precinct gathers around to watch Gibson and Busey bare-knuckle box it out until all the bad guys are just righteously dead on the ground instead of, like, being taken into custody and stuff. There's a comedic element to it as well as an overlay of "yes yes this is not how cops are supposed to act" but it's also made clear at multiple points that a bad guy will pull out a hidden gun and treacherously shoot you even if he's all but subdued so you'd better just err on the side of killing them first.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - While overall I liked the movie, I think I set myself up to be disappointed. I'm a big fan of WW2 commando films like Where Eagle's Dare and The Guns of Navarone, and I generally like Guy Ritchie movies, so I was pretty eager to see his take on the genre. And that's where things went awry. To give you a heads up on the movies sensibilities, Ian Flemming is a named character. So, it's kind of Guy Ritchie's take on a James Bond movie set in WW2.

I think what just doesn't work at all are the stakes of the movie. The set up is that this particular mission is the most important action in WW2, and the entire outcome of the war depends upon its success, which, what? The mission takes place in the dusty end of nowhere, and involves a handful of people. The movie kind of requires the audience to not really know much about WW2, otherwise large chunks of the plot doesn't really make sense. I think it's another example of a movie "based on a true story" where the true story is more interesting, with more to discuss about it, than the fictional account. Which is a shame, because I think sticking closer to actual history would make for a movie far more in Ritchie's wheelhouse.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Smile: Bounced hard off this one. The lead performance is really nice, the cinematography is generally quite pretty, but it's a pure scare vehicle and every scare is too telegraphed to have much impact when it comes. Every scene is just a setup for the main character to freak out about something and for other people to be skeptical and it got old quickly. Maybe the central image of just "people smile at you weird" isn't compelling enough on its own, maybe the plot's too literally About Trauma, maybe the other characters are too broad. It just felt like very generic, boilerplate modern horror, down to the inappropriately upbeat pop song at the end- which doesn't have anything to do with anything, I think it's just one they could get the rights to. The basic story's kinda like The Ring but the Ring has a spooky ghost girl in a well coming out of a TV and this has... well there's some good horror imagery near the end but I'd checked out by then. Maybe this worked better in a theater.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Singing in the Rain: Gene Kelly is one hell of a performer, and the titular song is still so joyful to watch. Do we have actors can do all of this still? Debbie Reynolds was equally as charming. Most of the music numbers were lots of fun, though it did feel like a couple (the fashion one and Broadway) were a bit dragged out. The actual plot, transition from silent to sound, basically works until the end when conflict with Lina is introduced and immediately solved. But it doesn't really matter as love and music win out.

An interesting comparison is the movie Babylon, which is obviously inspired by Singing in the Rain and even features clips from the movie in the final few scenes. There's some directly almost remade scenes like the silent film studio process and the first attempts at making some sound films, but there's also some different flavors of similar ideas. Both movies have the leads meet at a party in the opening, but Babylon is obviously the more drug filled debauchery party where as in Singing they just watch some dancers and have a drink or two. In both, the main male actor can't cut it in the sound world, with Gene Kelly luckily being awesome at singing, but Brad Pitt just fades away (to a gun).

It wouldn't be correct to call Babylon the more real version as it has its own heightened reality, but the producers and studio heads being so friendly and ethical to help Debbie out probably isn't reality either. Still, it's a lot of fun to watch either.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

checkplease posted:

Singing in the Rain: Gene Kelly is one hell of a performer, and the titular song is still so joyful to watch. Do we have actors can do all of this still? Debbie Reynolds was equally as charming.

I have this pet hypothesis that after home video became a thing, pure star power became less important to box office numbers, so the capital S Stars all come up through television now.

Basically, McQueen would have been on Burn Notice, or something.

(Also: I broadly agree with everything else you said.)

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Mad Max (1979): The only other Mad Max I’ve seen is Fury Road, so I was really surprised at how… normal? this one is. Also Max isn’t exactly “mad” until the final 15 minutes of the film.

This is one of those films where I know the cultural impact and it’s place at the time was much bigger than coming in cold now. I think it’s generally solid but my expectations were skewed by seeing the last entry first.

Anyway, plan to watch Road Warriors tomorrow!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Crocobile posted:

Mad Max (1979): The only other Mad Max I’ve seen is Fury Road, so I was really surprised at how… normal? this one is. Also Max isn’t exactly “mad” until the final 15 minutes of the film.

This is one of those films where I know the cultural impact and it’s place at the time was much bigger than coming in cold now. I think it’s generally solid but my expectations were skewed by seeing the last entry first.

Be prepared for the biggest single jump in quality between films in a series.

Seriously, MM1 is okay, largely from a historical perspective, but MM2 just absolutely nails the iconic formula.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spider-Man 3 Sam Raimi
I said some pretty unfortunate things about the quality of the film up thread, luckily the re-release allows me to rectify certain inequities. We just have to get this out of the way. Spider-Man 3 by Sam Raimi is a certified, 5/5 banger and anyone who disagrees is simply wrong, objectively.

This is one of the funniest movies of all time. The theatre was loving dying at drat near every line. That french restaurant bit slayed, Bully Maguire is peak, the loving bonk noise when Harry hits his head. All of it is killer. The fight scenes are great. Compare how fluid and exciting the alley fight with Harry is vs. the boring rear end final fight in the second Holland movie. There is a dynamism and creativity in each fight. The trains going by in the second Sandman fight, the verticality in the final encounter plus the addition of Harry finally giving Spiderman a partner, the viciousness of the final Harry/Pete fight. The choreography is always on point, even in the musical numbers.

Thirdly, 3 attempts to tell a kind of story that we just don't see in Superhero films, especially in Spiderman ones. 1 is about learning that you have responsibilities you need to live up to with the assumption of great power, 2 is about continuing to uphold them even in the face of great personal adversity, but 3 is about how easy it is to lose your way when it isn't adversity you face but adoration. Dunst gets poo poo on a lot in these films, wrongly, especially in 3 but she has a very important role in showing how deluded Pete has gotten since 2 even before the symbiote. He's managed to get so hopped up on the hero business that he has forgotten that he isn't supposed to just be saving people and stopping criminals, his girlfriend is going through the same arc that he went through last film but doesn't have the moral highground of being a hero to fall back on, she needs support from the one person who was always in her camp but instead the man is constantly undercutting, demeaning, and ignoring her to focus on the things he wants. He might love MJ, and she him, but they have no idea how to communicate yet and that communication failure leads to a spiral of bad decisions that kills Harry and nearly kills Pete. Like basically every time that May opens her mouth in the trilogy she was dead on when she explains that you need to be ready to put your wife before you to become a good husband. It turns out that being a superpowered human spider makes stopping criminals easy but doesn't help being honest and listening to your partner, especially when you've psychologically ingrained the need to reflexively lie about who you are and what you are doing at any given time. Pete managed to do something very difficult when he denied MJ at the funeral at the end of one, but it's clear that despite his best intentions once she showed up at his door in the end of 2 he took her for granted. In effect the film is showing Pete that he cannot just take something good for granted and instead that he has obligations that come with the blessings he gains. Raimi managed to re-iterate the first films message while creating an ending redemption and reconciliation between Harry and Pete, and showing the dangers of letting yourself give into your worst impulses such as revenge, vanity, and pride. That he managed all this in a film crippled by a villain that he did not want is a testament to his skills and this film should be lauded instead of denigrated.

The posters I picked up are loving sick too

Spy x Family CODE:WHITE
Pretty fun but uneven film. Like the manga the aesthetic and premise carry a lot of weight and the goofy farcical nature of all three players having different information and goals is fun but the film drags in parts and could have done better to either focus on the plot with the microfilm or the infidelity plot.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m glad Spider-Man 3 is getting its dues these days as a camp masterpiece and a remarkably tight film despite everything that was thrown in. I hated it when it released but in hindsight it’s so good lol

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Also I loved both Garfield and Holland in the role but their movies left a lot to be desired. Especially the MCU ones. No Way Home gets a pass for making all the prior Spidey film universes matter and pay off in a meaningful way.

Long way of saying I appreciate the style and camp Raimi nailed in his trilogy.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i had a ticket to see sm3 last night with some bros last night and only considered it to experience how awful it is. but i was too tired (im old) and remembered i actually really hate it and going just for the lulls wasn't worth the time.

confident i made the right decision by cancelling, but i do think it would have been neat to see the bully parts on the big screen again for the first time since it first hit theaters way back when.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The king of Camp superhero films has to be Batman and Robin. I have to say that I enjoyed it far more than Batman forever on rewatch, because Batman forever is completely ruined by Jim Carrey hamming it up way too loving hard whereas Batman and Robin at least leans into the camp and possibly the only criticism I have of it is that it would have been better if it leant harder.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Amazing two could've been a camp classic, and felt halfway in that camp at parts, but kept itself way too self serious to pull it off.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i had a ticket to see sm3 last night with some bros last night and only considered it to experience how awful it is. but i was too tired (im old) and remembered i actually really hate it and going just for the lulls wasn't worth the time.

confident i made the right decision by cancelling, but i do think it would have been neat to see the bully parts on the big screen again for the first time since it first hit theaters way back when.

It was a wild crowd and I saw the second less booked showing instead of the packed house. People were shouting and whooping and guffawing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Amazing two could've been a camp classic, and felt halfway in that camp at parts, but kept itself way too self serious to pull it off.

It’s deeply flawed and does seem like it halfway wants to be a goof and halfway wants to be really serious which hurts it even more, but I will say it also contains some of my favorite Spidey stuff put to film yet.

-it has the most fun, well choreographed, and just Spider-Man rear end action sequences. It’s a joy to just watch the movements and stuff, care was obviously put into those details.

-it’s still the best suit in a spidey film

-Andrew Garfield sells the hell out of quippy rear end in a top hat Spider-Man

Shame about the overall movie itself. But I’d rank it as a guilty pleasure based on the above.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

It was a wild crowd and I saw the second less booked showing instead of the packed house. People were shouting and whooping and guffawing.

despite the amount i dislike the movie, far be it from me to deny that it sounds like it was a blast to see in the theater

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Breetai posted:

The king of Camp superhero films has to be Batman and Robin. I have to say that I enjoyed it far more than Batman forever on rewatch, because Batman forever is completely ruined by Jim Carrey hamming it up way too loving hard whereas Batman and Robin at least leans into the camp and possibly the only criticism I have of it is that it would have been better if it leant harder.

Batman and Robin owns. Doesn't deserve most of the poo poo it gets.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Crocobile posted:

I've heard this should really be called mad goose? Because that's the actual character on the cover as well? I haven't seen it either, but I plan to rectify that this weekend. Haven't seen any of them so figured I'd start there and eventually get to fury road before furiosa hits.

As for my own addition here..

The Shawshank Redemption 94 - yep it's me. I'm the near middle-aged white American male who has never seen Shawshank (I'm told it's nigh a requirement to be a favorite movie once you hit 40, along with ww2 history or bbqing.

This is one of those classic movies that I have avoided watching, first due to my youth believing it to be a boring drama, and then once into my adult years avoiding it due to thinking it is far more depressing a film than it turned out to be

Holy poo poo, what an amazing film. One of those movies that even if you have not seen, you pick up on so many quotes and scenes that have been referenced in pop culture, and you may have sort of understood it, but not really.

An amazing collection of "oh hey, that guy!" from any number of 80s/90s classics.

Clancy Brown and William Sadler shine here, but of course the amazing cast is topped off with Morgan Freeman in one of his most iconic narration roles.

The only part I did not fully embrace was the ending, I believe it went on a little too long, but also without that we would have not gotten an ending quite as satisfying. I kind of wish it was shorter but don't see how they could have improved it and got the same pathos.

"Andy Dufrenes, who crawled through a river of poo poo and came out clean on the other side."

McGann fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 1, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

McGann posted:

The only part I did not fully embrace was the ending, I believe it went on a little too long, but also without that we would have not gotten an ending quite as satisfying. I kind of wish it was shorter but don't see how they could have improved it and got the same pathos.

"Andy Dufrenes, who crawled through a river of poo poo and came out clean on the other side."

:hmmyes: Although longer endings aren't very common, they can give a good story a lot more weight. Shawshank's coda went a long way toward making the movie what it is.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Have been ill so watched a bunch of films, mostly good ones.

The Limey Great noir-ish revenge flick. 89 minutes!!

The Lost City of Z Some good elements but really doesn't justify its runtime. Might be problematic, idk, but it's not a good enough film otherwise to care.

All That Jazz Electrifying and melancholic, really incredible production. I have little in common with the characters in this (other than having a fever at while watching, and therefore also sweating a load) but still found them engaging and interesting - really important for a film that's mostly about some obnoxious dude. Full of fun little details. Best thing I've seen in ages.

Ghost in The Shell (2017) Not great but I still preferred it to the original. e: I wonder if you could have made this significantly better just by cutting out every line of dialogue that includes the words "ghost" or "shell"

Junk Head Gross and great fun - last months MoTM, watch it!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2024

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Blockers: a comedy with John Cena so I had to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. The parents being the focus made this a bit different from most teen sex comedies and it's fairly chaste for a movie about teens trying to bone down. Cena buttchugs a 40oz of Colt 45 (at least half of it). Hannibal Burress is... in this movie for 10 seconds. Gary Cole hangs dong and is married to Gina Gershon. It's weird and nasty but also goes way too long with the schmaltzy moralizing, still worth a watch for Cena's performance.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Just watched The Beast. I am sure it is a bit of a cliche to describe things as Lynchian, but it gave me very strong Lynch vibes. The performances have that veneer of deliberate artificiality that melts away at certain points. The moment to moment plot logic is a bit discombobulated, but the emotional logic shines through. There were moments that really got sharp emotional reactions from me even though it's not immediately clear why they got me so good.

The most erotically charged moment of the film is an intense handholding scene. Five minutes later Lea Seydoux strips down to a shift and swims through water, and it doesn't feel erotic at all. To me, this was the funniest example of just how in control the movie is of its weirdness.

Maybe the most striking shot was a slow zoom on to Lea's eyes as they fill with tears. After it arrives at an extreme close up of just her eyes, she closes them and a tear finally falls.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Challengers - No, Zendaya does not get Eiffel Towered as the Brazzers-worthy promotional material would suggest (would have to be NC-17 box office poison for that kind of thing anyways), but it’s sultry, sensational, and possibly the only Guadagnino film worth jack poo poo.

One of the best of the year so far.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Night Magic (1985) - A Canadian fantasy musical filmed in Montreal at night. It's a lot like Xanadu but without all the roller skating, star power, and color palette. Stars Nick Mancuso and Carole Laure, in case that interests you. Objectively mid, but some of the music is nice and it has a nostalgic mid-80's gloriousness to it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

just saw fall guy

it was fine. some fun charismatic interactions between the main characters here and there, and the stunts ranged from pretty decent to pretty good, but nothing really ever blew me away in a movie that is a love letter to stunt crews.

the narrative is trying to go for something but misses in a big way. i think it goes for more than one thing and fails at kinda all of them.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The big problem with The Fall Guy is that every single major stunt looks way better in the (mostly wide shot, minimal cuts, no digital embalishments) behind the scenes footage they show you in the credits than it does in the movie. The movie choses the least cool way to show you best action bits.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 2, 2024

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Boy, Run Ronnie Run is a very disappointing movie given its pedigree. However, it’s almost saved by the end credits: they roll a bunch of fake outtakes where David Cross gets hurt and a Hong Kong stunt team rushes out to help him like he’s Jackie Chan.

And I’ll always appreciate an Andy Richter sighting.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

High Warlord Zog posted:

The big problem with The Fall Guy is that every single major stunt looks way better in the (mostly wide shot, minimal cuts, no digital embalishments) behind the scenes footage they show you in the credits than it does in the movie. The movie choses the least cool way to show you best action bits.

absolutely without a doubt. i was pleasantly surprised by the bts footage during the credits, but i definitely felt what you're describing. the scene where RG and some random thug are spinning around in the detached truck bed thing as they drove down the street looked honestly fake and kinda drab during the movie, but then they showed the bts during the credits and i was much more impressed.

the beginning of the movie has a few impressive oners and i was expecting there to be more throughout, but it kinda gave up after the first 30 minutes or so. lots of very curious blocking and editing decisions. the scene towards the ~3/4 mark where RG is running from the thugs by boat, we go from one shot where he is point blank right in front of them as they're firing at him, and the very next shot is him in some marina while the thugs can no longer find him. like he was legit right in front of them a second ago. just some really frustrating choices throughout.

it's a shame bc RG and EB have enough chemistry, and there are enough fun little moments where this should have been much better.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Challengers - No, Zendaya does not get Eiffel Towered as the Brazzers-worthy promotional material would suggest (would have to be NC-17 box office poison for that kind of thing anyways), but it’s sultry, sensational, and possibly the only Guadagnino film worth jack poo poo.

One of the best of the year so far.

I would beg to differ, Luca's "Suspiria" rocked my socks off

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

McGann posted:

The Shawshank Redemption 94 - yep it's me. I'm the near middle-aged white American male who has never seen Shawshank (I'm told it's nigh a requirement to be a favorite movie once you hit 40, along with ww2 history or bbqing.

This is one of those classic movies that I have avoided watching, first due to my youth believing it to be a boring drama, and then once into my adult years avoiding it due to thinking it is far more depressing a film than it turned out to be

Holy poo poo, what an amazing film. One of those movies that even if you have not seen, you pick up on so many quotes and scenes that have been referenced in pop culture, and you may have sort of understood it, but not really.

An amazing collection of "oh hey, that guy!" from any number of 80s/90s classics.

Clancy Brown and William Sadler shine here, but of course the amazing cast is topped off with Morgan Freeman in one of his most iconic narration roles.

From what I remember, the film was meant to end with Red on the bus, but the studio wanted the actual happy ending rather than just red imagining if it was possible. I like the ending we got, I think it’s a film that earned it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

Boy, Run Ronnie Run is a very disappointing movie given its pedigree. However, it’s almost saved by the end credits: they roll a bunch of fake outtakes where David Cross gets hurt and a Hong Kong stunt team rushes out to help him like he’s Jackie Chan.

And I’ll always appreciate an Andy Richter sighting.

Yeah but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnzelBd0lcQ

This song redeems the whole movie tbh

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The one *tiny* flaw in Shawshank that bugs me is when Morgan Freeman says in the narration, "500 yards... just shy of half a mile".

No it isn't. It's not even a third of a mile. I hope someone got fired for that blunder!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Probably some European editor who couldn't understand godly freedom units.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Pacific Heights (1990)

Hey this movie was pretty good! It's a thriller about two yuppies (Matthew Modine and Melanie Griffith) who buy a big house they can't afford. They rent out apartments in the house and they get a tenant from hell (Michael Keaton). He cons them into moving in without paying rent, and then he locks himself in the apartment so they can never talk to him and he starts loving poo poo up in the house.

This is a 90's thriller where things gradually get more crazy and improbable as the story goes on, but its actually surprisingly classy. Theres no awkward and/or creepy sex scenes that usually make up 25% of a 90's thriller's run time. This is especially Hitchcock inspired, and it works a simple tight premise.

To sum it up it's an "eviction thriller", which is something I'm surprising I haven't seen done more often (or at all). While the movie does expect you to sympathize with the landlords, it doesn't shy away from making them look scummy and showing how in some part they deserve what happened. Modine's character also says some really funny landlord poo poo with zero self awareness.

In the last 30 minutes it loses a lot of steam and gets a bit convoluted, which is kind of a bummer since its pretty good up until then but still a pretty solid little movie. Check it out if you like 90's thrillers, Michael Keaton or are a landlord.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Presto posted:

The one *tiny* flaw in Shawshank that bugs me is when Morgan Freeman says in the narration, "500 yards... just shy of half a mile".

No it isn't. It's not even a third of a mile. I hope someone got fired for that blunder!

In the book it’s something like “500 yards, the length of five football fields. Just shy of a mile.” So they’re bringing it closer!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Road Warrior - Really hangs together way better than the first movie primarily because it leans right into the pure action movie schlock and doesn't try to do anything beyond it. No romance subplot, no attempt at worldbuilding, not even any social commentary really, aside from at the most threadbare "oil dependence is bad mkay" level. Once the protracted chase-scene really gets going—and particularly with the hindsight of Fury Road, which is basically this same formula but doubled-down even harder—you see where the real strength of this franchise lies, which is in the cool-rear end car stunts. Just set up the basic framework to get the cars all moving in the same direction, set up some flamethrowers and crossbows, and let 'er rip.

Which makes me wonder whether something was lost from the first movie's gestures toward a bigger story. I remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_of_the_Lost_World via MST3K which was obviously trying to capitalize on the phenomenon of the first movie, but came out after the second; it shows a game attempt to try to glimpse more of the kind of transitional world in which the first took place, but doesn't take into account any of the stark simplification that took place in Mad Max 2, making it all about leather bodysuits and armored cars smashing into each other while a feral child slashes fingers off with a boomerang. The copycats didn't see the big(gish) budget action-blockbuster power-move coming because they were assuming something deeper and more interesting underlay the intriguing paradoxes of the first Mad Max, about which the original franchise seems to have said "you know what? Never mind".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Data Graham posted:

The Road Warrior ...no attempt at worldbuilding...

lol what the gently caress