Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mantis42 posted:

Third Man definitely has a downer ending but I think the main guy ended up in a better spot than the arctic.
In addition to getting his friend killed, the only person who swallowed down his hackwork is dead, and the women he fell for hates his guts forever. holly martins is a hall of fame loser in cinema history

e: now that i think on it, the third man with a happy ending is essentially just altman's the long goodbye (complete with visual reference)

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
in my room (ulrich kohler, 2018) - go in as blind as possible, even a synopsis spoils too much. starts out almost nondescript, then develops into a fairly common conceit seen across fiction that here is given a european arthouse sheen. the ultimate point of this film is well-observed and bitterly amusing. avoid if you don't like animal death (though I think none of them actually died?)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
vortex (gaspar noe, 2021)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
dekotora are cool as poo poo

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Carillon posted:

the Koker trilogy
Where Is the Friend's Home? is straightforward but quite excellent in the neorealist vein, but the next two films become playful in ways I will not divulge here

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

mutantIke posted:

Also just got out of Tár. Incredibly funny movie. One of the best "punchline endings" I've ever seen. Definitely worth seeing in a theater so that you don't fall asleep in the very slow second hour
The first hour was where I felt it was all methodically paced table setting, then everything just snowballed from there. As for the coda, linda following the path of a sexpat and beginning to rehabilitate her image by ingratiating herself with gamers is so, so perfect

the banshees of inisherin - the war of the roses of bromances. the character arc of colin farrell's eyes & brows probably outdoes 90% of the performances coming out this year

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
my maya deren ranking:

1) ritual in transfigured time
2) meshes
3) meditation on violence
4) at land
5) private life of a cat

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
aftersun (2022) - get on the charlotte wells bandwagon now cause she's gonna be a big loving deal very very soon. quietly devastating parent/child drama that's immaculately conceived and acted

eo (2022) - au hasard balthazar reconceived as a dark/bleak comedy. which really isn't that much of a left turn from the bresson. but the cinematography is drawn from a much broader/modern palette and gets wild from moment one and periodically throughout the picture (plenty of donkey POV shots!) making it more "fun" to look at

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Babylon - the frankenstein's monster of rise-and-fall narratives

Damien, the proud geek: "cinephilia is a sickness. you are all vulgarians. but then so am I."

Gaius Marius posted:

A Man Escaped Perfect
Yup

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mantis42 posted:

Speed Racer
I watched it for the first time about a month ago in a theater and the instant the movie clicked with me was when kid Speed met Rex outside the school and I was immersed, if you're ever near a theater where there could ever be a rep screening, that'd probably be your best shot at ever liking it

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

distortion park posted:

Frances Ha - why is this black and white?
Haven't seen this movie since it was a new release, but I feel like b&w emphasizes Frances's stasis better e.g. I don't think the montage of the paris trip in comparison to her new york surroundings would work as well if it was in color

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

checkplease posted:

Blackberry it was pretty fun watching Glen Howerton rage at nerds and yell at them to get to work. Good to see his skills on the big screen finally. Jay Burachel was great also and the film did a great job in selling how it all fell apart (arrogance really) for them. This is the first time I have seen a film by Mathew Johnson. He’s got this interesting style that can switch between intimate and voyeuristic. I’ll have to check out more of him in the future.
I was most surprised by the camerawork, it's not extravagant, but it also isn't purely functional. It at once meshes with all the other elements of the film while knowing when to punctuate moments for effect, Johnson seems to have a really good handle on the style

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
garfield was actually nominated for best actor that year but for hacksaw ridge (casey affleck won with denzel being silently pissed off)

some people gripe about garfield being the lead (for silence) while adam driver was right there, but I remember him doing good in that movie

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
you ought to watch sunset boulevard and ace in the hole

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
lost city of z has one of the greatest final shots ever, yet it is somehow bested by the immigrant's final shot

I have not heard anyone on here talk about armageddon time

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ShoogaSlim posted:

come and see

excruciating slog
bigger fan of how schindler's list depicted the holocaust?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gaius Marius posted:

Killers of the Flower Moon Watching this a second time makes the beginning so much more painful. When the sisters are all hanging out and one of them points out that Ernest want's Mollie's Money. She responds of course and then Minnie replies that his uncle already has money, he's not looking for cash he's in love. And the worst part is it is true. Ernest had everything he wanted. A Woman he loved, money, respect in town, a big house and lots of nice things, wonderful children. And he fucks it all up for just a little more.

Every scene between him and Molly just begs for an intrusion onto the screen so you can slap the poo poo out of him and get him to realize how badly his greed and his uncle's influence has warped his mind.
frankly i would've liked a scene where the osage nation tore the perpetrators limb from limb, historical accuracy be damned

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Carpet posted:

Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet, 2023)

Gripping and very well done family/courtroom drama, featuring a fantastic central performance from Sandra Hüller (who's having a great 2023 as she also plays the camp commandant's wife in The Zone of Interest), along with performances from a child and a dog that refute that old maxim. The central mystery itself is very compelling, and I found myself tensed up on multiple occasions - there's one particular scene 2/3s of the way through that they'll be using on the highlights reel for Hüller's Oscar nomination.

Nicely shot, with camera movements (fast zooms into someone's face, whip pans to something happening off screen) that in certain moments give it a documentary feel - and there's some sequences where we see what's being recorded on a handheld digital camera.

There's also an interesting use of language - it's a French film, with a lead character who's and married to a Frenchman, who have lived in rural France for a few years after living in London, with a francophone son. However she mostly speaks English, including in the courtroom scenes as she isn't as fluent, while the judge, prosecutor and defence continue to speak French.

Perhaps 20 minutes too long, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again and trying to pick up on the little clues or moments I might have missed the first time around.

The screening of this one last night was a "mystery film" one (actually the same evening as its UK premiere) and there were surprisingly few walkouts - I heard a few groans when the French production companies came up on screen (Canal+ avec le participation de... etc) but they stayed seated through the opening scenes. Five or so walked out when we saw the first French characters speaking French 20 minutes in, after the opening titles - but were they asleep for that part immediately before which was in English? Anyway, their loss.

very late edit: totally forgot to mention that a steel band cover of a very popular song from 2003 plays an important part in the plot, but I guarantee you will not be able to guess the track
cosign with everything you said, also looked up the track on youtube and the comments did not disappoint

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
fat city (john huston, 1972) - new hollywood to the bone in all its grimy, seedy glory (that watery ketchup made me wince in revulsion) yet helmed by one of the stalwarts of the studio era. amateur boxing has never looked like such a hideous sideshow dredged from the bowels of the earth. jeff daniels, baby-faced & bright-eyed with a touch of dimness. stacy keach, like a flat-faced nicholson, 30 going on 45. susan tyrell is the bonafide scene stealer. in seeking out additional details about this film, i came upon across this wild-rear end interview/article about tyrell's career, trigger warning spoilers for huston being gross:

LA Weekly article from 2000 posted:

“Now he’s on top of me, and it was like the sagging flesh of a balloon, like an old balloon, and he held my tits and he was saying, ‘Oh my God. Oh my God. You’re beau-tiful!’ And I looked down at my tits, and I thought, ‘I am. I am beautiful.’ With the waves crashing against the cliffs below. I don’t even remember him being inside me. I don’t even think he got it up and got inside me, you know? He was just this thing on top of me. I can’t describe to you how horrible it was . . . but I’d rather gently caress John Huston any day than some lame director.

“Goddamn it. Goddamn bastard. I still hate him, because what he took from me was huge. I totally believed in that world. I wanted to be an actress, and after that it was all over. I never wanted to act again. He stole something sacred from me. He’s the seed for all my behavior. And also the guilt, because I felt huge guilt that I didn’t run out of there. Titanic guilt, for laying down with him. But that’s how stupid I was. How naive. And I never got over it.

“I couldn’t tell this story for years,” Tyrrell concludes. “I’d look like a jerk, in the feminists’ eyes and in Hollywood’s eyes. I’d be swept out with the Clinton women. But you have to have balls. When you get to be my age, 55, it’s all balls — big, gelatinous balls. With the heart of a little child, and a face no mother could suckle.”

whole thing is worth the read

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If anything, de niro's next role in a scorsese movie might be even more charmless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
the plains (david easteal, 2022) - like a heady yet gentle mixture of jeanne dielman, my dinner with andre, and the driving scenes from solaris, punctuated with bursts of breathtaking drone footage. i would say it's a distillation of an office drone's daily commute home, but since it goes on for three hours, it's more of a holistic experience of such. it gets at the essence of conversation with a coworker you exchange pleasantries with but not much closer than that, equal parts interesting, tedious, inquisitive, and just shooting the poo poo. i kind of adored it for what it was.