Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

2024 I’m really trying to watch more movies, so here’s the 4 I watched last week:

The Last Seduction (1994)
I have really mixed feelings because there’s a ton of things I really like about the movie but the experience of watching it was pretty unpleasant. Very similar to Gone Girl except Linda Fiorentino’s character never even pretends to be good (which rules). She starts out a cold blooded scumbag and treats everyone she meets with distilled contempt while the male characters she’s involved with try to project human pathos onto her. It’s that Maya Angelou quote, “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time,” extruded into a 1990s erotic thriller.
ETA: Need to add that the theme music is so drat good.

Body of Evidence (1993)
Another erotic thriller (I’ve been on a streak with these). loving garbage lmao. Best part of the movie is it’s shot on location in Portland, OR, worst part is a rape scene towards the end for no loving reason? Willem Dafoe is trying his best but is terribly miscast. The plot is literally Madonna goes on trial for edging a man to death. Trash.

Night Game (1989)
Looks/feels like it was made a decade earlier. Makes me feel nostalgic for the weird cheap old movies that would play on Sunday mornings when I was a kid. Not really much to say about the movie itself. :shrug:

Poor Things (2023)
Saw this yesterday morning. Enjoyed the theme/pattern of characters using cruelty for control. Mistaking possession for love while showing nothing but contempt for Bella’s actual individuality. I completely hated what Bella did with the General at the end. Felt like it kinda undermined the story for a goofy joke? Mixed feelings on Lanthimos but generally liked this one.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

and this is basically the opposite of anything i care about in media ever. i don't like movies like stand by me, the sandlot, the breakfast club, or anything similar bc i just don't care about the struggles of adolescents trying to make sense of themselves. it feels like 96% of all anime deals with high school kids realizing being a human being is weird. why? i don't understand the obsession

I assume a lot of the long-form HS anime series are directed towards adolescents. I love Utena (when it’s good it’s amazing) but idk if I’d recommend it to someone who doesn’t really watch anime because part of what’s fun about it is how it subverts 90s anime tropes. But yes, one of the big themes is the transition from childhood to adulthood, how relationship dynamics change and the impact of toxic/abusive relationships.

Seconding the recommendation of Satoshi Kon’s filmography.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Indecent Proposal (1993)
Jfc what a piece of hot garbage. Especially coming in hot after watching Poor Things which emphasizes the difference between love and ownership. Like… Woody Harrelson is SO immediately untrustworthy and accusatory and jealous of a MILLION DOLLAR sexual transaction. ITYOOL 2024 you bet your loving rear end I’d gently caress 57 year old Robert Redford for a million bucks. I’d gently caress 87 y/o Redford, or someone way grosser for a million because I’m a broke af millennial and will never own a home otherwise.

Also after watching Striptease, Disclosure, and this I feel I can say definitively that Demi Moore sucks. I think she was strongest in Striptease because it was so cartoony, but she was also terrible in that. Bad bad bad.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The Crow (1994). I’m of two minds about it. It’s an amazing comic book movie with awesome & stylish miniatures and matte paintings; there’s this unique texture to everything that really adds to the vibes. Some of the vfx look “dated” but I think they add to the charm. The rogues gallery of ghouls, the punk/goth tween, the One Good Cop, all the music scenes, everything has super fun vibes that feel right for a gritty 90s comic book movie.

On the other hand, I just don’t love revenge plots and was put off by how sadistic Eric is. Like gleefully taunting and torturing people? It also just sucks knowing Brandon Lee died a very preventable death filming it.

I jumped on Wikipedia after watching and saw that the guy who wrote the comic wrote it to process his grief after his wife was killed by a drunk driver. Which makes the so much sense, and makes me reconsider the revenge fantasy stuff.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Moonstruck (1987) - I was looking for something cute and low stakes on Tubi. New York Italian-American romcom with 40 year old Cher and like 22 year old Nicolas Cage. They don’t really have chemistry but are undoubtedly the two hottest people in the movie. Olympia Dukakis is great. Nic Cage’s weird over-acting works when he’s a melodramatic broody young man.

There’s a lot of wonderful character actors and a lot of stuff about extra-marital affairs. They never comment on the age gap between Cher & Cage (how loving old was his mom when she had him? How is his brother Danny Aiello??) but idk, the absurdity of people seems to be a theme in the film.

All hail Cher, long live Cher.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Long live Tubi, love watching free movies on Tubi.

The Wickerman (1973): Good movie! Not really scary but strange and eerie and consistently interesting. Did not expect the Willow’s Song sequence and it made me laugh. I’d love more movies to break out into horny/seductive musical scenes, please.

Mr. Arkadin (1955): Not totally sure where I land on this. Maybe too much style (SO many dutch angles. It was fun at first but felt old by the end) and not enough substance. A lot of broadly drawn ex-con characters without much depth? There’s interesting things in there but it didn’t really gel together.

I quickly skimmed over the history and saw there’s multiple cuts of the film and Welles was not satisfied with the edit. Who knows if there’s really a version of the film that would have been great though.

Overall I’d say it’s interesting and not a bad way to spend 90ish minutes.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Love Lies Bleeding (2024): Huh, I really wanted to enjoy this more than I did. I think I liked the first half more than the 2nd. The vibes are great, the griminess is great, very cool setting and atmosphere etc.

I think the main thing that put me off was as Jackie does more steroids there’s this weird way they film her body like it’s monstrous (with stretching/growing sound effects), and then that bit at the end where she hulks out and becomes a beautiful glistening giant woman? The presentation of her body kinda crossed over from feeling erotic (cool and good) to fetishized (weird and bad)?

I was very worried that cat wasn’t gonna make it to the end of the film.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Son of the White Mare (1981): gently caress’n dope as hell. Psychedelic Hungarian animated film about a folktale. It’s a bit surreal and abstracted but once stuff is happening it’s really pretty cool and fun. The imagery is gorgeous.

I wish I could see this on the big screen (with maybe some substances). Anyway you can watch the whole thing here.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Mad Max (1979): The only other Mad Max I’ve seen is Fury Road, so I was really surprised at how… normal? this one is. Also Max isn’t exactly “mad” until the final 15 minutes of the film.

This is one of those films where I know the cultural impact and it’s place at the time was much bigger than coming in cold now. I think it’s generally solid but my expectations were skewed by seeing the last entry first.

Anyway, plan to watch Road Warriors tomorrow!

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Breetai posted:

Be prepared for the biggest single jump in quality between films in a series.

Seriously, MM1 is okay, largely from a historical perspective, but MM2 just absolutely nails the iconic formula.

Goddamn dude were you right about this.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981): Ok now THIS is Mad Max. My only complaint is they killed his sweet dog, but drat this movie had just enough plot and world building to keep me entertained and string me through those action set pieces.

Something I appreciated about the first one was the goofiness and playfulness of the background actors. It really adds so much texture and interest to the film. I’d say all the films are strong at adding flavor to the background actors.

Mad Max 3: Beyond the Thunderdome (1985): Wtf was this goonies poo poo. Ok so… I guess it’s some nice connective tissue between Road Warriors and Fury Road in terms of world building and set/costume design. And when they finally got to the car chase there were some cool stunts there… but goddamn it was so Looney Tunes! Part of the flavor of the first 2 was that it felt like any major character (aside from Max) could and would be sacrificed. Dogs die, babies die, hot lady warriors die… This felt like it pulled punches and the slapstick stuff with Ironbar was just not a mood I was here for.

The Tina Turner intro song was a bop tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Lmao you fuckers I rented Happiness (1998) last night out of curiosity and just finished it now. Talk about a dark comedy. Admittedly I realized I was slightly spoiled due to recognizing Dylan Baker from Disclosure and remembering the We Hate Movies episode mentioning his role in this film. But uh I mean there are multiple parts where I laughed or cackled and multiple parts where I grabbed my face and slowly cried, “nooooooooo” or simply “gross.”

What a loving journey.