Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Midnight Run is my 3rd favorite movie of all time. It's a bit too long but I've never seen another movie that mixes genres like it has. The scenes have a bit of rambly improvisational feeling to them too which I think is interesting to see mixed into a thriller. Those were some good looking chickens.

Saw the Beekeeper last night, definitely had a nice time with it. The action has barely any tension, we never get to see anything interesting or unexpected. We never see Jason Statham make a plan that goes wrong and then have to improvise, or end up in a suspenseful dangerous situation. We don't even see him take a single punch until the last fight scene! Statham is always in complete control of the situation, to the point that the character just seems cocky and like he's styling on everyone.

The real enjoyment in this movie came from seeing how different actors handle the constant Bee metaphors in the dialogue. Jeremy Irons says it all with a tone thats like "here me out on this, it might seems silly but I swear it will make sense" (it doesn't). Statham is pretty seamless. The main actress says the bee metaphors with disbeleif.

Some of the bee stuff is so funny though. I can't stop thinking about it. So when you become a "Beekeeper", do you also have to learn actual bee keeping and just start keeping bees?

Kinda sad he never used Bees as a weapon though, 7/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I decided to watch Meet Joe Black last night. Mostly because the director made Midnight Run and Beverly Hills Cop, which are movies I'd probably give a rare 9/10 to.

First hour was really fun. There's a great scene that plays with melodrama and your epectations in such a way that I imagine it must have been a wonderful hilarious moment to experience in a theater. Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt are good.

Then it just kind of goes on, and on, and on. I suppose Midnight Run has that problem too a bit but here it really felt like the movie had spread itself thin, with the good elements (the humor, stuff about love, Joe Black being scary and weird but also really hot) scattered all about among this very 90's feeling subplot of a "big merger" happening at the main character's company.

5/10. maybe 6/10 because I like the potential it had. Now lets see if I have the courage to watch Gigli.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 13, 2024

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Had a nice two movie night

Night of The Comet (1984)
7/10
Two valley girls end up in the post apocalypse after a comet vaporizes nearly all life on earth. People who weren't turned into dust get sick with a disease that makes them look like zombies, and degrade into violence and insanity.

It's a really fun movie with two girls who just wanna fun. The movie has this nice free-flowing feeling. The main characters are on a crazy adventure that takes them to a bunch of different places and scenarios with the crazies that are left on earth. I might have been a little bored sometimes but I always felt like I had to keep watching to see what happened next.

Music was good too, there was a scene where i had to pause the movie and find out what this song was because it was so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uydTjbn3lk0

Other movie I watched was
Queenpins (2021).
A strong 6/10

A perfectly enjoyable little comedy. Kristen Bell is funny and extremely likeable as always. I don't have much more to say about it because the whole thing was pretty breezy. I really wish more people liked The Woman in The House Across The Street From The Girl In The Window. That show is definitely one of my favorites of the last few years, and has Kristen Bell being extremely funny and stupid.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 7, 2024

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

big boi posted:

The Swimmer: a singular movie. It's a miracle that it was ever made. Burt Lancaster is incredible as the quixotic swimmer of the River Lucinda, whose journey home is ruined by a series of setbacks and humiliations, culminating in the final scene in front of his abandoned suburban mansion. It's easy, and probably correct, to say that the miserable reality of Ned's life is laid bare as he meets more and more people who shake him from his bourgeois complacency. I prefer to think that the whole movie operates as a dream-turned-nightmare, and increasingly we witness the Swimmer's doubts and insecurities as manifested by his subconscious.

Not a perfect movie, but it has a unique premise, gorgeous imagery, an iconic(ally weird) performance, and real allegorical power. Hard to get out of your head.

Very beautiful film that I haven't seen for almost 20 years. I'll have to correct that soon.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

Midnight Meat Train (2008) The most gratuitous and incompetent CGI and post-processing in any film ever. The most unintentionally hilarious foreplay scene I have ever witnessed. Vinnie Jones looking painfully British and out of place in New York. Bradley Cooper being utterly inept with a camera. Bradley Cooper having some sort of psychotic break while trying to photograph his semi naked girlfriend. A subway station underneath a meat packing plant. A subway train where no-one noticed one of the carriages has meathooks in it. An upside down corpse that's got rigor mortis so the boobs hang upwards. A plot so stupid I daren't try to recall it.

It's loving dreadful, but it is fun.

I was watching this while my gf was working on stuff and I turned it off right as Bradley boards the train. It feel bad, because I usually have a rule with movies that you can't give up on watching until you see the thing in the title.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Just watched Stuck (2007), directed by Stuart Gordon

It's about a woman who does a hit and run on a homeless guy, and he gets stuck in her windshield. She doesn't call the police, and instead just drives her car home, where the homeless man struggles/escape survive.

Mena Suvari has corn rows in this movie, which is pretty funny right off the bat. The movie gets a lot of horror out of the homeless man's struggle to survive, but it also, more subtley gets a lot of horror from the psychology of the woman responsible. I found it quite disturbing in a sense, because she didn't strike me as being a bad person, just one who has a lot of anxiety.

It's about 85 minutes and most of those minutes are filled with horror, tension, dark comedy, class commentary/satire and good acting. It's definitely worth watching, but it seems like it could be boring to rewatch. It does a lot with a simple story and short runtime though.

7/10

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I watched American Beauty (1999). Its good.

I was very afraid (and very curious) to watch this because the plot sounded "uncomfortable" to say the least, and I thought it was weird that it was a movie that won best picture that no one wants to talk about ever again, even before Kevin Spacey got cancelled.

My first thoughts upon starting it were that it was going to impossible for me to judge this movie fairly, because the cinematography was so drat good and the dialogue manages to feel realistic while being way more emotionally raw and witty than we are in real life. It's polished as hell, and based on that alone I can see why it won best picture.

When I first finished it I felt very upset despite being entertained throughout the whole thing. I wanted to find the writer of it, grab him by the collar and have him explain these characters to me, especially Lester. I looked for interviews with him about the movie, but didn't get an answer that satisfied me at all. I've now had a little time to make my peace with this, and I take it as a sign that it is good art.

One thing I really didn't like about this movie was how uncomfortable it made my girlfriend, because her and many women she knows have had to deal with dad's like Lester. I feel bad for watching this movie and I think the difficulty/uncomfortableness of it shouldn't be taken lightly. I'll never recommend it to anyone.

8.8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Pacific Heights (1990)

Hey this movie was pretty good! It's a thriller about two yuppies (Matthew Modine and Melanie Griffith) who buy a big house they can't afford. They rent out apartments in the house and they get a tenant from hell (Michael Keaton). He cons them into moving in without paying rent, and then he locks himself in the apartment so they can never talk to him and he starts loving poo poo up in the house.

This is a 90's thriller where things gradually get more crazy and improbable as the story goes on, but its actually surprisingly classy. Theres no awkward and/or creepy sex scenes that usually make up 25% of a 90's thriller's run time. This is especially Hitchcock inspired, and it works a simple tight premise.

To sum it up it's an "eviction thriller", which is something I'm surprising I haven't seen done more often (or at all). While the movie does expect you to sympathize with the landlords, it doesn't shy away from making them look scummy and showing how in some part they deserve what happened. Modine's character also says some really funny landlord poo poo with zero self awareness.

In the last 30 minutes it loses a lot of steam and gets a bit convoluted, which is kind of a bummer since its pretty good up until then but still a pretty solid little movie. Check it out if you like 90's thrillers, Michael Keaton or are a landlord.