Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yeah the whole last half-hour being a football farce was not what I saw coming.

Nor was that whole ... thing

This page has been therapeutic to read. I was surprised at how much I disliked M*A*S*H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

The Swimmer: a singular movie. It's a miracle that it was ever made. Burt Lancaster is incredible as the quixotic swimmer of the River Lucinda, whose journey home is ruined by a series of setbacks and humiliations, culminating in the final scene in front of his abandoned suburban mansion. It's easy, and probably correct, to say that the miserable reality of Ned's life is laid bare as he meets more and more people who shake him from his bourgeois complacency. I prefer to think that the whole movie operates as a dream-turned-nightmare, and increasingly we witness the Swimmer's doubts and insecurities as manifested by his subconscious.

Not a perfect movie, but it has a unique premise, gorgeous imagery, an iconic(ally weird) performance, and real allegorical power. Hard to get out of your head.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Very beautiful film that I haven't seen for almost 20 years. I'll have to correct that soon.

It's back on Criterion Channel. Was gone for a while.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

The Insider - First viewing in probably four years. Al Pacino spends most of his scenes yelling at people on the telephone, culminating in him wading knee-deep in the ocean, bellowing, "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW", which is somehow one of the great moments in all of cinema. Five stars.

big boi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 23, 2024

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Watched the original Road House for the first time and it was surprisingly good. I enjoyed the first half a lot more than the 2nd though. I was genuinely more interested in how Dalton was gonna clean up the bar rather than the more high stakes typical action movie stuff that happens later.

Road House is incredible camp. One of the funniest movies I know.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Devil in a Blue Dress: Denzel is great as always, and a young Don Cheadle steals the movie for about twenty minutes. Some of the other performances underwhelmed me. The story was bog standard detective noir stuff with a dose of racial politics, which did add some interest. Overall didn't grab me.

big boi fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 2, 2024

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

NIGHT AND THE CITY - One of the very best noirs I've seen. Sweaty, desperate, backstabbing characters who show real vulnerability on occasion. Incredible black and white photography. A surprisingly intense shirtless brawl in a wrestling ring after hours. Might be better than Rififi, also directed by Dassin.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

What did she do?

Goodbye, Dragon Inn Tsing Ming-Liang
The two characters walking around the theatre reminded me of running around the back areas and off limit parts of the church when I was a kid. Other than that and the beauty of seeing such an old building I wasn't all that taken with the film. Striving and Yearning are interelated emotions but the gulf between them is vast indeed, I myself am a striver and so seeing an entire film about people failing to connect and awkwardly pining does not do it for me. That bun was huge though

This movie reminded me that my line for slow cinema is right around Apichatpong Weerasethakul, with Edward Yang and Kelly Reichart being the sweet spot. Goodbye Dragon Inn is below the line. That said, it has gorgeous moments, and I want to revisit it after actually watching Dragon Inn.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

THE GREEN RAY - This is like a spinoff of Planet Earth called Middle Class France, without narration. A woman listlessly holds a baguette. People sit around nursing a single glass of wine for hours discussing whatever the gently caress, in depth. Two old friends happen to meet by chance after several years of no contact; in the course of three minutes they agree that neither is very happy in life, and one offers the other the use of her family's Riviera condo for the remainder of the nationally mandated seven-month summer vacation. And it's a brilliantly affecting character study, with a satisfying and romantic third act. Recommended for those who haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Carillon posted:

Just watched The Gleaners and I. How the gently caress is Varda so good but so unknown? I swear every movie of hers that I've seen hits, and hits so hard. And yet you hear so much more about Truffaut and Godard. And I like their films, but hot drat does she deliver here. You can really see the threads of the person who made Vagabond making this. You owe it to yourself if you haven't seen her work to watch it. She really is an amazing director.

She's the best.