Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
See How They Run was a B- movie that's Just Fine.

Kind of reminded me of a cross between Wes Anderson and Knives Out, if both were watered down dramatically. However, I went to see it because I love Saoirse Ronan, and it contained a lot of Saoirse Ronan, so that boosted it a full letter grade from what I would've given it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Did a doubleheader at the theatre yesterday evening...

Living - This is a 6/10 movie boosted to an 8/10 for me thanks to it feeling like a spiritual sequel to The Remains of the Day, which I just read last month. For a film that initially seems slow-paced, it admittedly flew by.

Women Talking - A good premise (based on a true story) that's well-acted with strong dialogue. 7/10. I don't regret seeing it, but, uh, it's a real downer and I won't be revisiting it. Also, there's a 1000000% chance that the men are gonna murder August like five minutes after the movie is over and chase after them. But that's not really the point, I suppose.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 16, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

MY COMPLETE REVIEW OF NAPOLEON (2023), DIRECTED BY RIDLEY SCOTT:

at one point, Napoleon almost verbatim says, "I'm built different."

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Alright, so Wonka is a 30/70 movie: 30% of it works and 70% of it doesn't. No matter what element of the movie you're looking at (the story, the casting, the music, the humor), 30% of it will work.

That said, I would *much* rather families take their kids to see this than Migration or whatever the gently caress that terrible trailer was called; there's some effort here and some parts of it do work. I think kids will have a great time with Wonka and forget about it a week later. It's ultimately just empty calories, that's all.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

A review of Fallen Leaves (2023), dir. Aki Kaurismäki:

"There was no way the cops could have handled it. There were simply too many zombies. I've never laughed so hard."

and also:

"You're so playful."

and additionally:

"Coma patients can wait for five minutes or more."

and furthermore:

"Dog. Dog!"

and not to forget:

"I am his sister. In faith."

and what's more:

"I hope. I changed the lock."

and finally:

"Bloody war."

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I expected to really enjoy Love Lies Bleeding but ultimately thought it was just okay. Kinda feels like someone put the "terminally horny" internet memes into a blender with Grindhouse and this is what came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Just got back from Late Night with the Devil and did not notice a single thing that person is talking about.

I'm not saying they're wrong; I'm saying that if you weren't around in the '70s or highly familiar with the technology they had at the time, I don't think anything will seem amiss.

Getting to my own thoughts: what a fuckin' film. Amazing concept with really good execution. Performances were great, especially by Dastmalchian who is "that guy with the memorable face" in a lot of movies and who proved here that he can lead the hell out of a film.

I'm not very tuned into the horror genre, but it's my favorite since Midsommar five years ago.

EDIT: Oh, I do have a major criticism of the film, and it's not the use of AI in its production (I don't love that but it doesn't bother me as much as it does others). There's like 5 to 7 minutes of framing at the start that is just totally unnecessary and felt like it was included to get the runtime over 90 minutes. Would've loved for them to be a little braver about going shorter and just jumping directly to the "found footage" part without explanation, or at most with a few sentences of text or whatever. I don't think the movie would be any lesser for it.

SECOND EDIT: It probably doesn't help that I think there were roughly 10 production company logos/animations shown in the lead-up to the unnecessary framing device opener. That got very silly.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 29, 2024